Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:39:32 AM EDT
[#1]
RIA cheapo....100% reliable.
Pretty and expensive Springfield? Jam O matic.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:41:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Emt1581:

That's what they are called....bullet proof parts?  Or is that just how you see them.   Only thing I have Wilson is the mag in my SA Mil-Spec.  Do the Wilson parts drop in or need machining/fitting?  Do they make the gun noticeably smoother?

Thanks
View Quote

Yes, the Wilson parts are called Bullet Proof. There is no such thing as drop in parts for a 1911, they are not Glocks. Even the parts that are advertised as such need fitting. Springs are the exception.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 11:57:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Wolfstone:

Yes, the Wilson parts are called Bullet Proof. There is no such thing as drop in parts for a 1911, they are not Glocks. Even the parts that are advertised as such need fitting. Springs are the exception.
View Quote

If I get a Stingray it'll stay stock!  Might swap out the grips/sights but even those I'll probably let go.  

Thanks for clarifying.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 12:29:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: curiomatic] [#4]
Originally Posted By anesvick:
Oh look, more proof that GD is getting dumber.  Great.

Couple of hundred is not even a proper break in for a 1911.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By anesvick:
Originally Posted By 03RN:

Lol, 1k seems like it's meme worthy.

A couple hundred will tell you all you need to know.
Oh look, more proof that GD is getting dumber.  Great.

Couple of hundred is not even a proper break in for a 1911.

Service pistols don't get a break in; they have to function reliably right out of the box, or crate.
I apply the same standard to a Self Defense pistol.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:35:58 PM EDT
[#5]
The tisas have been getting good reviews.

The Springfield ronins or garrisons would be solid choices too.
View Quote

I’ve been wearing a tisas out and I love it! Great price, all forged, superb accuracy. I’ll probably carry it off and on once I get enough rounds through it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:57:09 PM EDT
[#6]
The jewel of my collection is my grandfather's WWII Ithaca he used in Japan as a marine.  Ironically it's also the platform I've really disliked since I started carrying on my 21st bday.  Was never fond of the weight, the low capacity, and the hammer bite.  At the same time I actually shoot them VERY well.  Feels very natural and the triggers are great!  Also have a SA stainless mil-spec.  While it'd be a completely different direction for me CCW-wise... giving some thought to trying one out.  

The two options would be a drop in beaver tail for my SA (to eliminate the hammer bite)....or buy a more carry-worthy 1911 with a better safety lever, beaver tail and light rail.  

Any good options under $1k nowadays?

Thanks!!
View Quote
Drop in beavertails are ugly.  Just say no. I recommend buying a pistol equipped with the features you want.  Properly modified ejection port, bulletproof Wilson parts, beavertail, good sights, beveled magwell, and checkered front strap are high on my list of things. The extended and ambi controls are not needed, especially the very oversized ones.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:00:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Jackslack:
Under $1000 for a low capacity heavy CCW gun you can't beat a RIA.

I mean if you're going to test your fate, might as well go full risk.
View Quote
Lighter weight aluminum frames are a thing.  I bought a used LW Kimber 9mm and wouldn't hesitate to CCW it.  I bought a stack of CMC/Wilson Powermags and this gun is 100%.  Fuck the haters.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:23:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:
I've carried a 938 for years. One of them has a couple thousand round through it. Most of that Gold Dot or Underwood XPS rounds. The other is too new for that many miles.

If you can bring yourself to part with another couple hundo or buy used. They have been reliable and accurate for me.
View Quote

Another Sig 938 vote here. I am a big 1911 fan, own Govt, Combat Commander, LW Commander and Officers model and an ACE. The 938 is not internally a 1911, but all controls are the same.  Size, weight, and handling if perfect for ccw.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:27:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll add another vote to Tisas. I carry a Stingray under a suit most weeks at Mass.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:36:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stiglitz_actual] [#10]
Originally Posted By mooreshawnm:
RIA cheapo....100% reliable.
Pretty and expensive Springfield? Jam O matic.
View Quote

This is what I've been trying out - the little RIA officer size w/ aluminum frame in a Tenicor Certum3 holster
It's 9mm, no issues w/ 124gr HST and easy to conceal

They also make a commander size model with & without rail in 9/45/10
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:44:00 PM EDT
[#11]
ATI Commander in .45 here.  It does hiccup on lead SWCs with junk mags.  Perfect with hollow point, ball, and H&G #68 lead bullets.  I bit heavy but it does shoot well..
A 1911 in 9mm is an unnatural act....
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:44:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#12]
Originally Posted By stiglitz_actual:

This is what I've been trying out - the little RIA officer size w/ aluminum frame in a Tenicor Certum3 holster
It's 9mm, no issues w/ 124gr HST and easy to conceal
https://distortion.io/i/IMG_8563.jpg

They also make a commander size model with & without rail in 9/45/10
View Quote
Like button clicked.  

I prefer Crossbreed IWB for 1911, Galco King Tuk Air IWB for G19.5.  They make things invisible.  The belt clips at the thickest point on the holster in your photo make no sense to me.  As thin as possible is what I look for.

I can carry a heavy full sized stainless 1911 in the Crossbreed, driving or other things, all day long in comfort.

More 1911 goodness, wish it were a LW frame:

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 2:49:42 PM EDT
[#13]
You might want to take a look at the Para-Ordnance alloy frame P-13.  While they are out of production, they aren't that hard to find if you look around.  Install a ambi-safety, and a beavertail and they make a very decent carry pistol once you verify that the pistol is reliable.  Size is about the same as a Glock 19, with a 13+1 capacity in 45 ACP, or more if you find one in 9mm.  Extended magazine bases raise the magazine capacity too.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:03:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Can someone please clarify this for me?  

Why the reference to sexual preference when looking at the issue of whether someone utilizes a light on their gun??  

Thanks
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 19ontheslide:
I regularly carry a Colt Competition in .45 that I got for under 8 bills not long ago. But it doesn't have a rail because I like females, so there's that.

Can someone please clarify this for me?  

Why the reference to sexual preference when looking at the issue of whether someone utilizes a light on their gun??  

Thanks

To me, it seemed like a pizza cutter comment.
All edge. No point.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:07:10 PM EDT
[#15]

I’ve heard nothing but good things about the Ruger 1911s
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 3:17:03 PM EDT
[#16]
My Kimber Ultra Carry II is solid and I got it for about $600  I haven't priced them lately  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:15:57 PM EDT
[#17]

If I get a Stingray it'll stay stock!  Might swap out the grips/sights but even those I'll probably let go.  

Thanks for clarifying.
View Quote

note ambi safety

easy to accidentally sweep off one side
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:21:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By doc540:

note ambi safety

easy to accidentally sweep off one side
View Quote

I'm not used to that or any external safety.  Does it come with a cap to make it one sided?  What's the solution other than not carrying it cocked?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:26:40 PM EDT
[#19]
If you don't know 1911s well enough to already know the answer to this question, you should consider carrying something else entirely.

The Springfield Garrison in 9mm is probably the best option within your stated criteria, or the Colt Combat Commander.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:28:56 PM EDT
[#20]

I'm not used to that or any external safety.  Does it come with a cap to make it one sided?  What's the solution other than not carrying it cocked?

Thanks
View Quote

Yeah, you probably shouldn't be carrying a 1911. I'll double down on what I said.

Get a Glock, CZ, or M&P of some flavor.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:31:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Emt1581] [#21]
Originally Posted By Number0neGun:
If you don't know 1911s well enough to already know the answer to this question, you should consider carrying something else entirely.

The Springfield Garrison in 9mm is probably the best option within your stated criteria, or the Colt Combat Commander.
View Quote

I own several 1911's.  I've had several guns come with ambi safety options.  Why did that convey inexperience to you for this specific gun?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:33:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:43:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Number0neGun] [#23]

I own several 1911's.  I've had several guns come with ambi safety options.  Why did that convey inexperience to you for this specific gun?
View Quote

Because you're asking some very beginner questions. I'm legitimately not trying to be a dick. I'm actually trying to help you.

Guys telling you to spend like a grand on a Kimber, who's reputation is so insanely terrible that I don't know how they're in business, and recommending Officer model 1911s in .45 which are known to eat recoil springs at 500 rounds and just suck at reliability aren't giving you good advice.

My point here is that that stuff is extremely common knowledge for 1911 users.

You also mentioned not being used to any kind of external safety, which is a comment that honestly doesn't make any sense to me, especially if you own a bunch of 1911s, but I'm not gonna dwell on it, because whatever.

1911s are money, time, and training intensive guns.

I used to compete with them in USPSA, and IDPA. I've owned a fair few. Mostly Colts, and STI base guns that either myself or a smith totally rebuilt. I usually use full house custom guns, and am about to pull the trigger on an Alchemy Custom Weapons gun. I might even still buy a Staccato, though now that the CZ Shadow II Compact exists, is way harder to justify.

I like 1911s. I've been shooting them alongside my Glocks and Berettas for a while now.

And it's hard to recommend that as a carry gun to somebody.

A 1911 really isn't a gun you choose. It's a gun you end up at.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:51:02 PM EDT
[#24]

Because you're asking some very beginner questions. I'm legitimately not trying to be a dick. I'm actually trying to help you.

Guys telling you to spend like a grand on a Kimber, who's reputation is so insanely terrible that I don't know how they're in business, and recommending Officer model 1911s in .45 which are known to eat recoil springs at 500 rounds and just suck at reliability aren't giving you good advice.

You also mentioned not being used to any kind of external safety, which is a comment that honestly doesn't make any sense to me, especially if you own a bunch of 1911s, but I'm not gonna dwell on it, because whatever.

I used to compete with them in USPSA, and IDPA. I've owned a fair few. Mostly Colts, and STI base guns that either myself or a smith totally rebuilt. I usually use full house custom guns, and am about to pull the trigger on an Alchemy Custom Weapons gun. I might even still buy a Staccato, though now that the CZ Shadow II Compact exists, is way harder to justify.

I like 1911s. I've been shooting them alongside my Glocks and Berettas for a while now.

View Quote

I'll say I own, have shot, and love the feel of 1911's.  Have never carried one.  But for all the aftermarket and tuning and capabilities of these guns....hard to believe a partial safety delete on one side is that ridiculous and far fetched of an idea.  

The last gun I EVER imagined I'd be considering after 20+ years of carrying a G19 daily was ANY variant of a 1911.  Yet here I am!  So maybe I am ending up at it?? But for under $500 OTD, I figure the Stingray is a nice option.  However, I'd carry my SA Mil-Spec for at least a few weeks prior to pulling the trigger on a Stingray.  $500 is still $500 and I don't need yet another 1911 safe queen.  

As for your initial warning about the safety, would seem like it'd only matter after drawing anyway since the gun isn't going to fire while holstered and shouldn't fire if cocked and dropped since the grip safety wouldn't be actuated.  So is knocking the ambi-safety off (switching it over to fire) a common struggle 1911 carriers deal with?  Or is it just something to be mindful of but doesn't effect carrying very much?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 4:59:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Back when I bought it they were under $1K, now I'm sure they are well over that.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:02:08 PM EDT
[#26]

I'll say I own, have shot, and love the feel of 1911's.  Have never carried one.  But for all the aftermarket and tuning and capabilities of these guns....hard to believe a partial safety delete on one side is that ridiculous and far fetched of an idea.  

The last gun I EVER imagined I'd be considering after 20+ years of carrying a G19 daily was ANY variant of a 1911.  Yet here I am!  So maybe I am ending up at it?? But for under $500 OTD, I figure the Stingray is a nice option.  However, I'd carry my SA Mil-Spec for at least a few weeks prior to pulling the trigger on a Stingray.  $500 is still $500 and I don't need yet another 1911 safe queen.  

As for your initial warning about the safety, would seem like it'd only matter after drawing anyway since the gun isn't going to fire while holstered and shouldn't fire if cocked and dropped since the grip safety wouldn't be actuated.  So is knocking the ambi-safety off (switching it over to fire) a common struggle 1911 carriers deal with?  Or is it just something to be mindful of but doesn't effect carrying very much?
View Quote

I honestly have never had an issue with knocking an ambi safety off, because in any holster that covers the safety on the body side, the holster itself should prevent the safety from being snicked off, since obviously both sides are connected.

So, a partial safety delete would just be changing the safety over to a standard single side one. I've never seen a plug that fits the safety shaft for an ambi unit. It might exist, but would be really uncommon.

As far as trusting any 1911 in the $500 range, tbh, 1911s that aren't complete shitpiles in that price range are a new thing, and I'd be hesitant. I know Tisas allegedly makes some good ones, but I dont think I've ever actually seen a high round count one. I've seen RIAs that run in matches.

But I couldn't recommend it, from experience at least.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:06:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VaniB] [#27]
I kid you not, with the experiences I've had with the 1911 never being as reliable as my Sig 365 or my G27 and G33, the only way I would EVER buy another 1911 at any price is to try it out at the range with 100 rounds first, (preferably 150 rounds) before I buy it. So it would have to be a range rental gun, or if its an online sale, they would have to send me a none-stop video of the gun being fired for 100 rounds.I have also run wanted-ads offering top dollar, but the owner had to meet me at the range where I offer to pay range fee and ammo costs. They either put up  or shut up if telling the truth and want to sell their used gun at retail price to me! I would pay somebody above the retail price for the 1911 model that I want that works 100%. That's how I so distrust buying a new one that actually works...lol.

I dont care if its a $3k Wilson or Staccato. I simply don't believe guys who say "My 1911 is 100% reliable". Thats how inherently problematic the 1911 is. One malfunction in every 50 to 150 rounds is NOT "100% reliable". I've seen these people at the range lie to me about the reliability, or in the least they are lying to themselves., "oh, but that one didn't count because I didn't  chamber it right. " "Oh, that one didn't count because I wasn't holding it right". "Oh, that one didn't count because it faulty ammo", blah  blah  blah!!"

I never have any problems or excuses for my Glocks or Sig. No, Glock is not perfect either. I got rid of a problem model G23 years ago that would fail to chamber every 25 rounds. But I didnt lie and bullshit anybody about it. My G33 and 27 and P365 have not been 99.9%.... they are 100%. I can't say that about my current 1911 which I would still bet my life on. (but it's 99.5% which is good enough for me for a 1911. lol)
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:22:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By VaniB:
I kid you not, with the experiences I've had with the 1911 never being as reliable as my Sig 365 or my G27 and G33, the only way I would EVER buy another 1911 at any price is to try it out at the range with 100 rounds first, (preferably 150 rounds) before I buy it. Or if its an online sale, they would have to send me a none-stop video of the gun being fired for 100 rounds. I would pay somebody above the retail price for the 1911 model that I want that works 100%.

I dont care if its a $3k Wilson or Staccato. I simply don't believe guys who say "My 1911 is 100% reliable". Thats how inherently problematic the 1911 is. One malfunction in every 50 to 150 rounds is NOT "100% reliable". I've seen these people at the range lie to me about the reliability, or in the least they are lying to themselves., "oh, but that one didn't count because I didn't  chamber it right. " "Oh, that one didn't count because I wasn't holding it right". "Oh, that one didn't count because it faulty ammo", blah  blah  blah!!"

I never have any problems or excuses for my Glocks or Sig. No, Glock is not perfect either. I got rid of a problem model G23 years ago that would fail to chamber every 25 rounds. But I didnt lie and bullshit anybody about it. My G33 and 27 and P365 have not been 99.9%.... they are 100%. I can't say that about my current 1911 which I would still bet my life on. (but it's 99.5% which is good enough for me for a 1911. lol)
View Quote

See, OP, this is kinda what I was getting at. I guarantee these piece of shit 1911s were some budget guns. I don't see higher end stuff behave like this. And that's because 1911s are kind of care intensive, and require a little know how to set up.

Guys who've worked with or on 1911s a lot tend to have a "recipe" they like, for this reason.

Know how for spring balancing, extractor tuning, and magazines is a whole thing.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:33:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Typically the 1911s that don't run are way to dry.

I'll go 1k rounds between cleanings. I just add oil to the rails after a competition or range trip and I shoot hard Cast bullets.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:44:06 PM EDT
[#30]
I kid you not, with the experiences I've had with the 1911 never being as reliable as my Sig 365 or my G27 and G33, the only way I would EVER buy another 1911 at any price is to try it out at the range with 100 rounds first, (preferably 150 rounds) before I buy it. So it would have to be a range rental gun, or if its an online sale, they would have to send me a none-stop video of the gun being fired for 100 rounds.I have also run wanted-ads offering top dollar, but the owner had to meet me at the range where I offer to pay range fee and ammo costs. They either put up  or shut up if telling the truth and want to sell their used gun at retail price to me! I would pay somebody above the retail price for the 1911 model that I want that works 100%. That's how I so distrust buying a new one that actually works...lol.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:50:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Typically the 1911s that don't run are way to dry.

I'll go 1k rounds between cleanings. I just add oil to the rails after a competition or range trip and I shoot hard Cast bullets.

View Quote

Yup, I have been shooting the shit out of 1911's for almost 20 years now and all of my guns run 100%, even a 2017 MFG Kimber I have. These guys that claim the platform is so hard to keep up and maintain

Shoot 300-500 rnds, wipe down, relube, continue on. Clean out extractor channel every 1k rounds or so +/-. Tough stuff.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 5:58:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doc540] [#32]

View All Quotes

Several times I've unholstered my 1911 in condition one and realized the thumb safety was in the off position.   Easy fix was to just swap out the ambi safety with another part.  Non-ambi is what I'm used to so I stick with what's familiar.   Lots of people run ambi's.   Personal preference.  Good luck with your new Stingray.   😀
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:03:34 PM EDT
[#33]

Several times I've unholstered my 1911 in condition one and realized the thumb safety was in the off position.   Easy fix was to just swap out the ambi safety with another part.  Non-ambi is what I'm used to so I stick with what's familiar.   Lots of people run ambi's.   Personal preference.  Good luck with your new Stingray.   😀
View Quote

But it sounds like if a gun comes ambi, you can't make it non-ambi....right?  Either way I'm not overly concerned.  So long as the only thing that make a round fire is pulling the trigger, that's fine.  I've carried a Glock with no safety lever for 20+ years.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:04:35 PM EDT
[#34]
And there's no "plug".  The thumb safety pin goes all the way through.   Tisas after the swap.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:06:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By TW52:

Yup, I have been shooting the shit out of 1911's for almost 20 years now and all of my guns run 100%, even a 2017 MFG Kimber I have. These guys that claim the platform is so hard to keep up and maintain

Shoot 300-500 rnds, wipe down, relube, continue on. Clean out extractor channel every 1k rounds or so +/-. Tough stuff.
View Quote

I don't even do that and mine have always ran fine. At the range, I'll wipe the feed ramp at 200 rounds and it'll keep going all day.

I do field strip and clean every range trip and adjust the extractor if I notice the ejection pattern start to move (usually around 5k-ish rounds for me). New recoil spring every 2.5k and all new springs every 5k.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:09:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doc540] [#36]

But it sounds like if a gun comes ambi, you can't make it non-ambi....right?  Either way I'm not overly concerned.  So long as the only thing that make a round fire is pulling the trigger, that's fine.  I've carried a Glock with no safety lever for 20+ years.

Thanks
View All Quotes

Thanks
 It's an easy swap and I prefer what is intuitive since I've been carrying/shooting my 1911's for decades.   Also remember just handling the 1911 often disengages the grip safety and a 1911 trigger is a totally different animal than a Glock.  None of my 1911's and Glocks are in the same trigger universe.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:25:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: byron2112] [#37]
Originally Posted By Clarinath:

Huh, I did not know that...

I always wondered why no one had done the officer grip w/commander slide, and now someone has.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Clarinath:
Originally Posted By minimalist65:

Colt made a CCO version (commander slide on a officer frame).   Rock Island has one as well, around $530 something on gundeals.

Huh, I did not know that...

I always wondered why no one had done the officer grip w/commander slide, and now someone has.

Almost all the chopped "officers" models from the major manufacturers are 3" these days, but the Ruger Officers model I posted earlier is 3.6" barrel, so a bit closer to a CCO... and they also have a FLGR configuration that does not require a tool or paperclip to take down, which is unique from pretty much every other make as they all use FLGR/bushingless build

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:35:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doc540] [#38]
Years ago I carried a genuine 1998 Colt CCO.  A great design and there weren't others on the market yet.

It made a lot of sense.

But a friend made me an offer I couldn't refuse, and I moved to a 9mm Commander.

Original, stock design

After I'd customized it for carry.  But I didn't change the ambi safety and found it accidentally swept off several times.

Carrying with a pancake holster exposes the ambi safety.  And that's my go-to holster when I don't wear the Jackass rig.

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:48:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
Lighter weight aluminum frames are a thing.  I bought a used LW Kimber 9mm and wouldn't hesitate to CCW it.  I bought a stack of CMC/Wilson Powermags and this gun is 100%.  Fuck the haters.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41996/Kimber_9mm_LW_JPG-2979112.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wildearp:
Originally Posted By Jackslack:
Under $1000 for a low capacity heavy CCW gun you can't beat a RIA.

I mean if you're going to test your fate, might as well go full risk.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41996/Kimber_9mm_LW_JPG-2979112.jpg

Looks MIMy.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:08:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nick_Adams] [#40]

View Quote

Well, Chief, you completely omitted the most-awesome S&W 3rd Gen 45XX-series pistols. I’ve handled and shot most of those models, primarily the DA/SA 4506s and the 4566s and they all ran 100% and were as accurate as any 1911, except maybe a specially-tuned comp 1911.

My ex-L.E. 4566 is presently my favorite go-to carry .45, but for just pure shooting enjoyment my S&W 2nd Gen 645 has it all over any of my 1911s, maybe except for my Colt M45A1. Love shooting that guy.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 7:17:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By doubleclaw:

I like females, too, and I carry this every day.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48960/FC355652-6CAE-44F5-AACB-D97A1C7AC899-2885022.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By doubleclaw:
Originally Posted By 19ontheslide:
I regularly carry a Colt Competition in .45 that I got for under 8 bills not long ago. But it doesn't have a rail because I like females, so there's that.

I like females, too, and I carry this every day.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/48960/FC355652-6CAE-44F5-AACB-D97A1C7AC899-2885022.jpg

Looks heavy.
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 9:29:32 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

Sounds like you've been shooting sub standard 1911s. Buy a good one, fit nice parts to it if needed. It'll last your entire life.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:01:13 AM EDT
[#43]

Kimber under $1k???
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:21:39 AM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes

100% agree.

1911's and snub nose revolvers are expert level guns if you value your life. A 1911 is like a pet rattle snake. It's great and fun and all, but the second you don't respect it, it'll bite you.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:31:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Leaning toward Tisas Stingray.  Under $415 shipped from Grab A Gun.

9 vs 45?

I have probably 2-3 dozen 9mm guns.  I have 2 45's.  For a 1911 I might carry...thoughts on caliber?

Thanks!
View Quote

38 super.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:34:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Genin:
You might want to take a look at the Para-Ordnance alloy frame P-13.  While they are out of production, they aren't that hard to find if you look around.  Install a ambi-safety, and a beavertail and they make a very decent carry pistol once you verify that the pistol is reliable.  Size is about the same as a Glock 19, with a 13+1 capacity in 45 ACP, or more if you find one in 9mm.  Extended magazine bases raise the magazine capacity too.
View Quote

My P12 was like carrying a brick, it wasn’t for me.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 12:41:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Donut777donut] [#47]

See, OP, this is kinda what I was getting at. I guarantee these piece of shit 1911s were some budget guns. I don't see higher end stuff behave like this. And that's because 1911s are kind of care intensive, and require a little know how to set up.

Guys who've worked with or on 1911s a lot tend to have a "recipe" they like, for this reason.

Know how for spring balancing, extractor tuning, and magazines is a whole thing.
View All Quotes
I kid you not, with the experiences I've had with the 1911 never being as reliable as my Sig 365 or my G27 and G33, the only way I would EVER buy another 1911 at any price is to try it out at the range with 100 rounds first, (preferably 150 rounds) before I buy it. Or if its an online sale, they would have to send me a none-stop video of the gun being fired for 100 rounds. I would pay somebody above the retail price for the 1911 model that I want that works 100%.

BS, I’ve shot plenty of fancy smithed or custom shop 1911s that were too tight and unreliable.  You’re being an elitist, both high and low end 1911s can be turds.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:56:51 AM EDT
[#48]

Op, Sent you an IM.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:02:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Just saw a pic of someone's Stingray that had a pretty gnarly scratch on it from rubbing up against another gun in a case to/from the range.  Now for a carry gun, I could give less than a fuck about appearance.  My carry guns are heavily used and abused.  I carry them daily, frequently use them, slam full force into door frames, etc.  At the same time, it gives me the impression that the Stingray's finish is spray-paint-like and according to Battle Hawk's site (cheapest as of now for the model)....it's "steel" under the "finish".  Not stainless.  So now I'm concerned this thing is going to get marred/scratched and then rust due to exposed steel.  

Can anyone confirm the TYPE of steel under the Tisas Stingray's coating on the slide?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 9:09:22 AM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

My experience is the opposite.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top