BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:09:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By motoguzzi:
When I first started out there were five of us sharing rent on a house, we had hand me down furniture (including a couch you slowly sank into).
No TV at all but two of us had stereo systems.
View Quote

Apparenly you didn't read the part of the Constitution that guarantees the right to a nice, cheap house; a snazzy car; spending money; dinners out 4 days a week; and a good dental plan.  It's right in there.

I think we owned the same used couch.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:11:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By PatriotAr15:
One thing that a lot of people dont understand, is that not all hard work pays off.

Some people work their ass off to better themselves, and *STILL* not get ahead. Imagine someone spends 4 years studying for some IT certifications for a specific IT track... but after 4 years pass... that specific field suddenly gets over-saturated, and no one is willing to hire you for that position unless you have like 5 years experience. Imagine wasting 4 years of your life, all that hard work... and all you got out of it, was losing time with family, friends, or even just recreational time for yourself. For nothing.

It demoralizes people. It discourages them from putting any more effort... figuring they're cursed and stuck in a rut.. This happens to *A LOT* of people.

Working your ass off, only to be no further than you were before you started on that track... just deflates people.
I'm not sure I would entirely describe my situation like that, but there are times I feel like it. I've worked my butt off to try to improve myself, and while I got myself into a more preferable career.... objectively it seems to have been more of a "side-move" and not any real advancement.

I'm probably currently making the same amount of money I probably could have earned at my old job working Armed Security. Only difference is my job provides benefits.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lou_Daks:
What in my post are you responding to? I dont really object to what you're saying... just seems like you're responding to a point I didn't make? Perhaps I'm missing something?

I'm basically agreeing with you.  

There are no bad jobs if they are honest labor.  People make choices and prioritize their values.  If you can't find a higher paying job, and/or don't have the skills needed for one in your AO, don't sweat it.
One thing that a lot of people dont understand, is that not all hard work pays off.

Some people work their ass off to better themselves, and *STILL* not get ahead. Imagine someone spends 4 years studying for some IT certifications for a specific IT track... but after 4 years pass... that specific field suddenly gets over-saturated, and no one is willing to hire you for that position unless you have like 5 years experience. Imagine wasting 4 years of your life, all that hard work... and all you got out of it, was losing time with family, friends, or even just recreational time for yourself. For nothing.

It demoralizes people. It discourages them from putting any more effort... figuring they're cursed and stuck in a rut.. This happens to *A LOT* of people.

Working your ass off, only to be no further than you were before you started on that track... just deflates people.
I'm not sure I would entirely describe my situation like that, but there are times I feel like it. I've worked my butt off to try to improve myself, and while I got myself into a more preferable career.... objectively it seems to have been more of a "side-move" and not any real advancement.

I'm probably currently making the same amount of money I probably could have earned at my old job working Armed Security. Only difference is my job provides benefits.

The scariest thing about the beginning of the year wasn't the amount of financial struggles I faced.  It was understanding this was probably the most financially demanding year since starting a family. Then seeing my W2 and realizing I made more money last year than I ever had before.  Knowing that in 2024 I'll make even more.  Only for rising costs and other issues likely to appear leading to an even greater struggle.

Before I reach retirement age I'll likely be making that elusive 6 figures.  But it will feel like the 40k I was making when I started.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:22:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Bacon_Grease:

The scariest thing about the beginning of the year wasn't the amount of financial struggles I faced.  It was understanding this was probably the most financially demanding year since starting a family. Then seeing my W2 and realizing I made more money last year than I ever had before.  Knowing that in 2024 I'll make even more.  Only for rising costs and other issues likely to appear leading to an even greater struggle.

Before I reach retirement age I'll likely be making that elusive 6 figures.  But it will feel like the 40k I was making when I started.
View Quote

Some people don't think Bidenflation be like that but it do.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:27:55 PM EDT
[#4]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bacon_Grease:

Indeed. I guess the reality of inflation sinking in with the majority of the population is something to look forward to. Or at least it should be.  But I doubt it will come in enough time to course correct.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:50:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Apparenly you didn't read the part of the Constitution that guarantees the right to a nice, cheap house; a snazzy car; spending money; dinners out 4 days a week; and a good dental plan.  It's right in there.

View All Quotes
When I first started out there were five of us sharing rent on a house, we had hand me down furniture (including a couch you slowly sank into).

If things keep deteriorating with China as expected, that will put an end to all the cheap electronics and consumer goods. That's going to be a real bitch for most of us to adjust to.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:56:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Shit sucks. We are all feeling it.

More government action isn't the answer though, and we all know that's what his answer is.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:03:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Fucker needs a roommate to split the $2200 2-bedroom.   Id suggest a female...  but LOL

Learn to code, suck some cock or take a fucking shower so you can play the Big Corporate game and make $60k a year for simply showing up

But Cuckolopolous doesn't want to earn it.   He/Him deserves it!

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:25:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By BillofRights:
And yet everyone spent those Stimmy checks and double unemployment bucks Gleefully.  

People are completely unable to understand Cause and Effect when it’s more than 3 months apart.
View Quote

I knew some people who decided to quit work just because they could make more money with the stimulus checks than at their jobs.

They voted for the D, of course, and now they’re complaining about how “tough” life is because “everything costs more.”

One in particular makes crazy money, like, she’s clearing more than $8k a month, and ends up broke at the end of every pay period. No savings, no investments, nothing, just spend, spend and spend.

I’m forced to take refuge in incredulity.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:53:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By doubleclaw:

I knew some people who decided to quit work just because they could make more money with the stimulus checks than at their jobs.

They voted for the D, of course, and now they’re complaining about how “tough” life is because “everything costs more.”

One in particular makes crazy money, like, she’s clearing more than $8k a month, and ends up broke at the end of every pay period. No savings, no investments, nothing, just spend, spend and spend.

I’m forced to take refuge in incredulity.
View Quote

Vote for the D, get the D.

People don't think getting the D be like that but it do.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:18:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ramairthree:
This spin is a fairly recent development.
For decades it was the boomer way or the highway through decades of cultural, social, political, etc. Boomer dominance.

Boomers started in on the younger generations mercilessly.

As boomer dominance fades, and the consequences of those decades of dominance snowball, and they get called out on it-
NOW it’s all-
“Hey, we are in this together.  Don’t let them divide us.”

Despite decades of amazingly low proportional costs education, transportation, insurance, housing, etc. The average boomer has a retirement savings of 200K, owes 190K on a house, and has another 25K or so of unsecured debt.  And will average 100K spent on them in the last six months of life.  (Not including the baseline already spent on them in the years previous to that). Keep in mind MC reimbursement is typically a fraction of the billing, real expenses of this category of patients.

As a generation, they were handed a fine steed, rode it hard and put it away wet repeatedly, and even as it lies on the ground struggling to breath want to whip it back up and keep going.

Now, plenty of individuals of that generation were not like this-
But for some odd reason refuse to accept the impact of that generation as a whole.

I find that odd because X-ERs and millennials and zoomers who are unlike the “stereotypes” of their generations don’t seem to give two shits about the generations reputation as a whole.
View Quote
The screeching when the QALY arrives will be epic.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:59:33 AM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes

I'm pretty sure every GenX and older male owned that couch when they first left the nest.    

Lotta shit went down on that couch, good and bad.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:02:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By RRA_223:
Fucker needs a roommate to split the $2200 2-bedroom.   Id suggest a female...  but LOL

Learn to code, suck some cock or take a fucking shower so you can play the Big Corporate game and make $60k a year for simply showing up

But Cuckolopolous doesn't want to earn it.   He/Him deserves it!

View Quote

Seems like it'd be easier to just smoke crack and get paid millions being on the board of some energy company in a corrupt country.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:05:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By FMJ3:

I'm pretty sure every GenX and older male owned that couch when they first left the nest.    

View Quote

Shit I remember grabbing coffee tables, desks, lamps, bookcases, dinner tables, etc from neighbors throwing out their old stuff.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:09:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Silverbulletz06:

Shit I remember grabbing coffee tables, desks, lamps, bookcases, dinner tables, etc from neighbors throwing out their old stuff.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Silverbulletz06:
Originally Posted By FMJ3:

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:58:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By bulump:
voting has consequences
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:11:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Doesn't look like me, therefore must be lying about ever having voted Republican.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:20:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By AbleArcher:
Doesn't look like me, therefore must be lying about ever having voted Republican.
View Quote

ARFCOM has assured me there is no way anyone who is gen z has ever voted republican. They’re all democrats and if they say they aren’t, they still are.

/s
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:25:19 AM EDT
[#18]

For decades it was the boomer way or the highway through decades of cultural, social, political, etc. Boomer dominance.

As boomer dominance fades, and the consequences of those decades of dominance snowball, and they get called out on it-
NOW it’s all-

Despite decades of amazingly low proportional costs education, transportation, insurance, housing, etc. The average boomer has a retirement savings of 200K, owes 190K on a house, and has another 25K or so of unsecured debt.  And will average 100K spent on them in the last six months of life.  (Not including the baseline already spent on them in the years previous to that). Keep in mind MC reimbursement is typically a fraction of the billing, real expenses of this category of patients.

As a generation, they were handed a fine steed, rode it hard and put it away wet repeatedly, and even as it lies on the ground struggling to breath want to whip it back up and keep going.

But for some odd reason refuse to accept the impact of that generation as a whole.

I find that odd because X-ERs and millennials and zoomers who are unlike the “stereotypes” of their generations don’t seem to give two shits about the generations reputation as a whole.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Elwwod:
Originally Posted By Subnet:

I'm 44.

Honestly, I hate generational warfare threads like these. The content (that none of us created - remember that) that spawns all of this, does little more than get us at each other's throats. It's not mentally healthy, and none of it reflects actual lived reality for most people. It's designed to make you anxious about the present and future, it's manipulative as hell, and it's really effective.

Thanks Subnet, you get it. Even though it generates web traffic, this stuff is killing our country.

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL.

NOW it’s all-

This x1000.

The damage done will be hard if not impossible to reverse. Let alone how painful it will be. Boomers en mass squandered what was given to them and now are turning to Millennials and Gen Z to care for them.

Maybe repealing the Glass-Steagall’s legislation wasn’t a good idea.  Or maybe you should have saved that money.  Maybe boomers should have stayed renters.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:31:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By PeepEater:
Hope you enjoyed the stimmy checks.
View Quote

This place is so embarrassingly out of touch. You realize  probably half of zoomers haven't graduated high school yet?

Does anyone read the articles or watch the videos posted.

So we have one guy ranting about how we have sat by and let the uniparty and fed fuck us over causing domestic inflation to the point someone making over 3x min wage, working full time still has to have a roommate to afford an apartment while we send billions to a country people can't find on a map.

We have another pair advising young people to avoid debt and focus on long term goals over short term fulfillment. Saying they are witnessing left leaning pears getting tired of woke bullshit and coming around to Trump.

So basically exactly what we want and the response is lame snark about stimmy checks their parents probably got.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:57:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:17:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Most grad students around here live 3-4 in a 2-BR apartment, and they don't have cars.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:20:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Whiny little bitch.

Of course 90 hours a week isn’t the goal. It’s what you need to put in to get your goal as early as you expect.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:25:23 PM EDT
[#23]
All Biden’s fault and I get the feeling that’s who this kid voted for. Reap the whirlwind.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:37:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: W202fan90] [#24]

View Quote

*Raises hand shamingly*

This applies particularly to people with strong ethical/moral codes too, IMO. It’s no longer “work hard, follow the rules, and you’ll be successful”.

Now, it’s more like “throw everyone under the bus, have someone else work hard for you, steal their ideas, break the rules, and you’ll be successful”.

I’m not willing to do the latter. Ever. I couldn’t live with myself. It’s nearly impossible to keep up with colleagues who already have the answers for every quiz and exam. So I was fucked, and am finally clawing my way back after losing 4 years of my life (and ~$250k).

So, yes, these people ARE out there (I’m a Millennial).

Great post.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:44:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By jerrwhy01:
Is this the part where GD will pounce on this guy for daring to complain, not pulling himself up by his bootstraps, or getting a better paying job? Is this also the part where GD will have a thread bitching, moaning, and pissing about inflation and how everything is so expensive but refuses to pull themselves up by their bootstraps or get a better paying job?
View Quote
No, this is the part where people say, "If you want what I've got, do what I did."

Don't spend a bunch of money on college. Community college, scholarships, GI Bill, etc.

Get training in something that is hard to do, and in demand. Plumber, electrician, orthopedic surgeon...get portable skills in a difficult field.

Kick ass. Be the distinguished honor grad in AIT. Win the freshman chemistry award. Work 12.5 hours a day at lumber yard during the summer. Outwork everyone at your place of employment, even if you're washing dishes.

Be frugal. Consider a Taco Bell bean burrito a treat. Don't smoke, don't drink, don't drug. Coffee is for rich people, drink water out of the faucet or a milk jug. Shop at a thrift store. Drive a beater. Live at your parents or in your brother's garage, get roommates. Don't go to concerts, don't take vacations, don't gamble, don't buy rims for your car, don't get injured on a motorcycle. Use a cheap phone. Date when you're ready to get married. Read books from the library.

By the time you're 30 you'll be an overnight success, exactly zero boot straps involved. Also, you'll get to hear a plethora of people talk about how easy you had it back in the day, and how you can't understand their severe dread of working 90 hours a week when you did that for over 5 years straight.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:45:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By W202fan90:

*Raises hand shamingly*

This applies particularly to people with strong ethical/moral codes too, IMO. It’s no longer “work hard, follow the rules, and you’ll be successful”.

Now, it’s more like “throw everyone under the bus, have someone else work hard for you, steal their ideas, break the rules, and you’ll be successful”.

I’m not willing to do the latter. Ever. I couldn’t live with myself. It’s nearly impossible to keep up with colleagues who already have the answers for every quiz and exam. So I was fucked, and am finally clawing my way back after losing 4 years of my life (and ~$250k).

Great post.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By W202fan90:

*Raises hand shamingly*

Great post.

I've seen it as well since I have ethics and I am a millennial also.  The worst part is there are no consequences for the unethical behavior, just look at TARP.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:00:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: W202fan90] [#27]
Originally Posted By exponentialpi:

I've seen it as well since I have ethics and I am a millennial also.  The worst part is there are no consequences for the unethical behavior, just look at TARP.
View Quote

You’re exactly right. Consequences don’t exist anymore.

If I had a dollar for every professor/administrator/faculty member that parroted the “oh don’t worry, they will get what’s coming to them when they start actually practicing!!11!!!!!”, I would be rich. It’s a coping mechanism and it’s complete bullshit. These people are almost never caught.

It fucking sucks. But, it is what it is. I was relentless in trying to claw my way back. It paid off, and I luckily found someone willing to give me a chance to prove myself (yes, good people DO still exist in academia). Since then, I’ve been re-climbing that giant mountain from Ground Zero. I am now half-way to the top. I won’t stop until I reach the peak.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:21:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By bulump:
voting has consequences
View Quote

Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top