Does experience matter? (Page 2 of 3)
Page / 3
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:54:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:56:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I know several educated idiots.

Parroting the thoughts and ideas of others does not make one "smarter".
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:56:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Imo you need both. If you only approach from one way you never see the full picture.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:57:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Foxtrot08:

Gotta have thicker skin than that man.

I get called a Democrat, communist, Biden supporter, whiner, oh that I was on the wrong forum… you name it, I’ve been called it, regarding oil threads.

This is the internet. Don’t take it seriously, don’t take yourself too seriously.  The internet is for people to come to bitch and whine. Just laugh at them, if they continue, fuck with them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TXBBQGuy:
Originally Posted By eurotrash:
@Marie stopped giving GD free consultation on importing/exporting because her experience was being drowned out by loud people with an opinion.

I've had people here tell me flat out I was ignorant about a subject that just happens to be what I do every single day for a living, with their only experience being "I had it done once and it failed". I tried to explain why it failed, based on their description of the failure, and they told me I didn't have any idea what I was talking about.

I just shut up and went on about my day

I get called a Democrat, communist, Biden supporter, whiner, oh that I was on the wrong forum… you name it, I’ve been called it, regarding oil threads.

This is the internet. Don’t take it seriously, don’t take yourself too seriously.  The internet is for people to come to bitch and whine. Just laugh at them, if they continue, fuck with them.

I've been called all those things here, too. I just roll on and let them continue to be ignorant, no real skin off my nose
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:57:35 AM EDT
[#5]
It damn sure doesn't where I work. Telling the interviewer what they want to hear is more important.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:58:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By USCG_CPO:
 There are a handful of us here who actually work in the industry and have tried to answer questions or share information but you will quickly be shouted down by those who know more because they read it somewhere or because some YouTube personality told them different.

I read the threads for humor but try really hard to not respond anymore.
View Quote

This is what I have seen too. People with real life experience who comment get pushed aside by some dude who says something interesting or what people like to think about the subject even if it isn't really true.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:59:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Paul:
52-0 voting.

Amazing.
View Quote

Funny how the votes in this thread run counter to reality in GD.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:06:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eurotrash] [#8]
Originally Posted By Ronin76:

This is what I have seen too. People with real life experience who comment get pushed aside by some dude who says something interesting or what people like to think about the subject even if it isn't really true.
View All Quotes
 There are a handful of us here who actually work in the industry and have tried to answer questions or share information but you will quickly be shouted down by those who know more because they read it somewhere or because some YouTube personality told them different.

This happens in Reddit and Quora too, where well-written, funny, or interesting replies are moved to the top of a thread because of the “upvote” system. The system does not take into account how factual the reply is.

At least forums like this have no upvote algorithm.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:09:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:10:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Experience outweighs education.

Experience without education is still effective, though perhaps not as efficient as having both.

Education without experience is a clownshow.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:12:09 AM EDT
[#11]
All I need to know, I learned on the internet.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:12:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By nightstalker:
If your comment is wrong or disagrees with experts you should be

1. Ignored
2. Banned
3. Re-educated
View Quote

I don't trust anyone proudly wearing the expert title. Either their craft is set in stone, or they are full of shit.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By smarcus:
All I need to know, I learned on the internet.
View Quote

I learned from you that the March High Master 4.5-28x is the preeminent long range gas gun scope, so I bought one.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:14:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes.  Hands on is better but you can learn a shit tonic background info from reading & videos.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:17:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Experience matters a lot. In almost every field/regard.

Originally Posted By bdover:
Yes.  Hands on is better but you can learn a shit tonic background info from reading & videos.
View Quote

But are you going to remember everything you read or watched in a video in 15-20 years? Probably not.

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:24:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By AbleArcher:
When commenting on a subject, does actual experience on the subject matter? Or can you be become just as knowledgeable by reading up on the subject or watching videos?
View Quote

I vote Experience, Mostly.

Example Car Audio is a huge hobby of mine.  I had a sub to every car audio mag that was printed from like 1986 till 2008 (Car Adio, Auto Sound and Sec, Car Sound, Car Stereo Review, Installer Magazine and a few others).

I keep every issue and many of them I had Duplicates or triplicates of, I cataloged them and used them as reading material and a reference guides on the way installs were done in certain vehicles and how things were wired or done.

I feel like it was huge influence on my install styles and techniques in system layouts, designs as well as how I built enclosures, amp racks, consoles, etc...

Now actually getting hands dirty and into the actually wood working, fiber-glassing, wiring, and such definitely came from doing as much or more than from reading.

I feel that I am (and the industry/Car Audio community) are at a big loss with the loss of those magazines...

I would gladly renew my subs to many if not all of those if they came back and were not just adds, but actual installs, subject matter, how tos and articles on subject relating...

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 11:24:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Negligent discharges are a normal part of owning a gun.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 2:53:04 PM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

Yeppers!
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:30:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: housewolf] [#19]

View All Quotes

This. With 40+ years of experience performing, supervising, and permitting close to a billion $$ worth of plumbing work in my career, a lot of people call on me as an expert. I still occasionally get calls from engineers I've worked with over the years wanting ideas on solutions. Then some guy that's made a hundred pex joints in his life comes along and speaks authoritatively on domestic water distribution .

The fact that I was still learning when I retired speaks volumes to experience. All that said, I've been enlightened to things (plumbing related) by people with far less experience and knowledge, sometimes only because they think "out of the box". It never hurts to lay a second set of eyes on something.

ETA; one thing I can do better than most is look at something and figure out the easiest way to do it, when someone with less experience might spend some amount of time struggling with something that was all but impossible to do to begin with.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:44:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I think its a credibility issue.  You can have all the book knowledge you can muster but people will immediately give credibility to the person with firsthand experience vs the one with potentially more knowledge on the subject
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#21]
It's like I told my doctor a couple days ago, "I realize that me and WebMD are the functional equivalent to you, all your fancy med school, and your thirty years of practical experience, but I still value your input on some of these little things..."
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:03:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By rb889:
Experience outweighs education.

Experience without education is still effective, though perhaps not as efficient as having both.

Education without experience is a clownshow.
View Quote

Again, it depends on the subject.

Somebody can have a shitload of experience with doing something wrong with rare enough consequences it has not bit them in the ass.

Someone can be the world’s expert on Sumerian text without ever having been on an archeological site.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:07:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Depends on the experience vs the studying.

If one person spends a thousand hours only changing oil and brake pads and another person spends a thousand hours reading mechanical diagnostic information but has never actually worked on a car, the guy with the diagnostic information is likely to be a better overall mechanic. hell catch up turning wrenches real fast and go way beyond the lube and brake tech
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:08:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes, academic study is useful but it can only take you so far.

That doesn't mean education is useless, especially if it is truly teaching a man how to reason and think not just memorize.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:10:25 PM EDT
[#25]
This is GD, everyone is an expert in everything.

If you want to see some examples, look at any maritime thread, especially the Baltimore bridge thread.  There are a handful of us here who actually work in the industry and have tried to answer questions or share information but you will quickly be shouted down by those who know more because they read it somewhere or because some YouTube personality told them different.

View Quote

I WAS amazed at how many people who said they worked in the industry were being dismissed because they were saying thing that disproved the "tinfoil" angles.

I found their input informative, for what that's worth.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:12:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ellieellie] [#26]
Experience truly is invaluable, regardless of the field. When it comes to tasks like writing coursework, having that seasoned expertise can make all the difference. Professionals who've honed their skills, like those adept at crafting coursework with the help of platforms like UK Writings https://ukwritings.com/coursework-help, can deliver exceptional quality in record time. Their wealth of experience allows them to navigate complexities effortlessly, producing work that not only meets but exceeds expectations. Conversely, training someone without prior experience is certainly feasible. With the right guidance and resources, individuals can learn and develop the necessary skills to excel in their roles. However, correcting ingrained habits or misconceptions in someone who's been doing things incorrectly can be a more challenging endeavor. It often requires unlearning old habits and adopting new approaches, which can take considerable time and effort.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:16:02 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

And you!

I'll tell you what, pal!

I repeat a LOT of what you've posted about gas prices and what drives them. I'm sometimes unpopular because of it, too. Oh well, you can only tell people what the experts say. If they don't want to hear it, that's on them.

I also buy oil based on your suggestions. It's worked out well for me.

So take THAT!
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:16:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:26:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Ironmaker:
Almost everything I read an article or watch a video on a subject that I am a subject matter expert on, something is incorrect.  

If this happens often in my subject areas, I have to assume it happens in all areas.
View Quote

True, but in a similar fashion I make two generalized assumptions for that sort of thing:

1) the material is being dumbed down for the general consumption of the material. Expertise is always in the details, and when speaking in general terms, you can't communicate those details. If you try and explicate every possibility to avoid that one retard trying to trip you up with a what-if or edge case scenario, you'd confuse everyone else.

Or,

2) the speaker is an idiot who is looking for attention.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:46:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By ellieellie:
depends
View Quote

On?
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 5:22:29 PM EDT
[#31]
It depends on the person.  Sometimes 20 years of experience is actually just repeating the same one month of experience 240 times without learning a damn thing.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 5:32:47 PM EDT
[#32]
I still get the occasional PM asking for help on imports. Nope. Nada.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 5:47:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Experience and study compliment each other, and both are important if you want to make good use of either.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 5:58:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By LuckyDucky:
Yes and no. It depends.
View Quote

This.

What if your real world "experience" is incorrect?  I know lots of folks that shoot lots of rounds, and suck at shooting and know almost nothing about guns. So lots of "experience" with little skill or knowledge.  

Depending on the topic on here, you can usually tell who knows what they are talking about, who doesn't, and the guys that are google shit and regurgitating stuff they know nothing about.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:02:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FMJshooter] [#35]
Can go either way, get both is always the answer.

I know dudes that have been at something for decades but still suck because they use antiquated methods or simply were taught wrong and never questioned it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:05:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Nothing beats putting your hands on it, but I can usually watch someone that knows what they're doing and learn something.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:10:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By shotar:

That can be said about a lot of people who are very good at what they do, who used to give advice here.

Too many people who have never done what they do, were experts on the subject.
View Quote

Like LE threads??????

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:15:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Experience matters, but reference materials exist for very good reasons.

Big media, however, is universally incompetent.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:19:23 PM EDT
[#39]
In GD?  

You must be new around these parts.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:19:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By scrambler28:
No, I comment all the time on shit I know nothing about.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:20:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By feudist:
Doctors, lawyers, cops, army generals, Special Operations commandos, politicians, cooks, teachers, farmers, physicists and weather forecasters have all repeatedly been shown to be wilting flowers in the face of weaponized autism.
The superpowers enabled by Cheetos dusted Aspies with internet access and no adult supervision make Superman look like a poofter.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Look at any oil thread.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:24:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Marie:
I still get the occasional PM asking for help on imports. Nope. Nada.
View Quote
Did they actually want help on importing, or did they really want help with smuggling?
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:26:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3BP] [#44]
@JLPettimoreIII

Now when this fella asks for "pics of ______", I do not question him.  He is absolutely the subject matter expert on asking "for "pics of _____"!!!!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:26:26 PM EDT
[#45]
You will never learn all the little quirks of a thing from a book like you will by actually doing the thing, simply because there are countless little things that someone in the field simply wouldn't ever think of mentioning when they write a book about it because it's ingrained in their experience to the extent that it isn't even conscious anymore. Then there are all the little minor things that only come up occasionally, and since they aren't part of the routine they also don't get mentioned.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:38:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Even the person with hands on experience can watch videos later.  At some point even after watching videos there should be some hands on experience.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:39:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bluemax_1] [#47]
Originally Posted By 3BP:

This.

What if your real world "experience" is incorrect?  I know lots of folks that shoot lots of rounds, and suck at shooting and know almost nothing about guns. So lots of "experience" with little skill or knowledge.  

Depending on the topic on here, you can usually tell who knows what they are talking about, who doesn't, and the guys that are google shit and regurgitating stuff they know nothing about.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LuckyDucky:
Yes and no. It depends.

This.

Another vote for the “it depends” camp.

As mentioned, experience isn’t always the same as expertise, or even competence.

I’ve personally seen numerous examples of, “Why are you doing it that way?”. “It’s how I’ve/we’ve always done it”.

And examples of outmoded/outdated thinking methodology, because that’s how they learned and it’s “good ‘nuff”.

Likewise, I’ve also seen book smart/educated folks, who couldn’t understand that the devil’s in the details, and how variables change things.

Ideally, a combination of both education annd experience, AS WELL as the willingness to learn/improve is ideal. As someone mentioned, despite extensive experience in a field, it’s still possible to be presented with a better option, by someone thinking outside the box. People with fragile egos, are unwilling to accept, or even consider that.

As far as knowing who actually knows their shit, and who’s just full of shit; it takes some actual level of knowledge pertaining to a topic, to really tell. Some armchair experts can sound like they know what they’re talking about, and even convince less knowledgeable people, until an actual expert shows up and Mr Higgs them.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 7:21:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By JimEb:

…and academia.

As the saying goes, “Those that can, do.  Those that can’t, teach”.
View Quote

Add to this, "Those that can't  do or teach, Manage."

10,000 hours is a fair benchmark. Beyond that is icing on the cake.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:19:36 PM EDT
[#49]
@JLPettimoreIII

Now when this fella asks for "pics of ______", I do not question him.  He is absolutely the subject matter expert on asking "for "pics of _____"!!!!

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/toast_gif-994.gif
View Quote
hell yeah brother.gif
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:26:25 PM EDT
[#50]
I don't learn a fuckin thing in classrooms or e learning... Shit puts me to sleep and I check out mentally. I learn by doing in the field
Page / 3
Does experience matter? (Page 2 of 3)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top