Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:33:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh man, all the gold boys getting uppity now because they are up 2x over 10 years.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:34:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By woodsie:
Oh man, all the gold boys getting uppity now because they are up 2x over 10 years.

View Quote
I ain't mad, good for them.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:44:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By TechOps:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

This isn't a thread about how much gold is up. This is a thread about how bitcoin is down twenty seven percent in two and a half years when priced in gold
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:47:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By TheWellGuy:

This isn't a thread about how much gold is up. This is a thread about how bitcoin is down twenty seven percent in two and a half years when priced in gold
View Quote
You didn't answer my question and for how long?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:49:58 PM EDT
[#5]
+62,595.50 (19,142.35%) all time.

Someone is sore they missed out, but it's not too late. Halving coming.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:53:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I went back. It was hard for me to read that as a question. I could potentially be wrong. Aliens could potentially land on the front lawn at the White House tomorrow. I believe that bitcoin has been a scam less than twenty years. Just a government surveillance / PSYOP imo. Gold could potentially not have value like it has for the last thousands of years.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:54:42 PM EDT
[#7]
So it's safe to say that all the bitcoin guys are sore that they didn't cash out two and a half years ago and buy gold since they lost twenty seven percent since then?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:55:18 PM EDT
[#8]
So it's safe to say that all the bitcoin guys are sore that they didn't cash out two and a half years ago and buy gold since they lost twenty seven percent since then?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:56:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bkpkr] [#9]
I really don’t understand these posters that shit all over and even wish bad things for investments they don’t understand. It’s the weirdest irrational vitriol, something you’d normally associate with a leftist. It’s like people are against diversification and only plan/prep for one very narrowly defined, specific thing. You also see it in prep threads. It’s so fucking bizarre.

ETA: I suppose trolling is always an option.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:57:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Bitcoin peaked two and a half years ago at about thirty seven ounces of gold. Now worth less than twenty seven ounces.
Twenty seven percent decline in two and a half years.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:58:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TechOps] [#11]
View Quote
I'll keep playing, what if they bought it all for $50 a coin?

What if they did do exactly that?

What do you actually care? They lost out and you're amazing smart guy.

As long as you want to talk about aliens on the White House lawn, that has the same chances as the above, yes/no?

I thought this was just shitposting!
No, wait it is just shitposting sorry.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:00:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Seems there's a lot of people shitposting and trolling in this thread but it isn't me
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:00:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Enzo300] [#13]
Meh, I've been a gold bug since the late 70's. I'm happy with the performance.
I have some BTC too on a ledger, but I know PM's best and those I have a mix of long term and swing trade holdings.
I think both camps can agree that the dollar is just pure shit.

ETA: In my perfect worldview, I see gold as the ultimate store of wealth. I see BTC as the ability to deposit my gold into an easily transportable medium of exchange that I can convert back to the real money base of gold at my destination. They work best when viewed together.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:01:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheWellGuy] [#14]
You're telling me you Bitcoin guys are happy that you didn't cash out 2 and a 1/2 years ago and buy 37 oz of gold when today if you cashed out you could only buy twenty seven ounces of gold percoin?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:02:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Do you own physical gold or paper gold, OP?

If physical, I commend you on your journey away from fiat and towards hard money.

But are you sure your coins/bars are pure? Do you ever envision using your gold to transact for goods and services?

If you own paper gold, well…
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:03:10 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

You really have to cherry pick your entrance point to arrive at that.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:05:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Obo2:

View All Quotes

Hindsight is twenty twenty, but it's not too late to cash out of your bitcoin before it crashes.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:07:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By bkpkr:
I really don't understand these posters that shit all over and even wish bad things for investments they don't understand. It's the weirdest irrational vitriol, something you'd normally associate with a leftist. It's like people are against diversification and only plan/prep for one very narrowly defined, specific thing. You also see it in prep threads. It's so fucking bizarre.

ETA: I suppose trolling is always an option.
View Quote

They're the same ones rooting for the demise of American tech giants (ignoring the fact that they make up a significant portion of their retirement funds in most cases).
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:08:38 AM EDT
[#19]

Hindsight is twenty twenty, but it's not too late to cash out of your bitcoin before it crashes.
View Quote
2 weeks or Monday?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:09:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By JustinU235:
2 weeks or Monday?
View Quote

It's harder to say how long irrational investors will make bad investments than it is to say that it's an irrational bad investment.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:10:33 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote
I'm pretty sure you're the same guy that got scammed for $1,800 on a ACOG.

It's not too late to get your money back on that also.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:12:18 AM EDT
[#22]
You're telling me you Bitcoin guys are happy that you didn't cash out 2 and a 1/2 years ago and buy 37 oz of gold when today if you cashed out you could only buy twenty seven ounces of gold percoin?
View Quote

Most bitcoin guys are probably way up compared to whatever gold you may have laying around. Factor in the premiums and maybe shipping you pay on gold and the likelihood that you will probably miss your ideal sell point and be lucky to get spot or find out you bought some chinesium gold plated tungsten...

Most folks here were not backing up the truck for 69k btc. They were dollar cost averaging in from 30k up to 60ishk and backing up the truck in the subsequent dip back to 20k. Or making bank just trading the volatility

Meanwhile you likely could have cleaned up comparatively with a simple sp500 etf.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:14:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheWellGuy] [#23]
I'm pretty sure you're the same guy that got scammed for $1,800 on a ACOG.

It's not too late to get your money back on that also.
View Quote

It's safe to say you don't know what you're talking about.
Arfcom did tell me how to get some cheap acogs off of amazon about six years ago. It was December maybe january. They had American flags on them. I didn't mind.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:15:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Obo2] [#24]

View Quote

I'll consider it in 2028 or so, cant afford the moon lambo yet.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:16:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JLAudio] [#25]
Yeah guys, stop buying stocks or even Index funds! "Gold will outperform inflation!" says the radio shows. Amateur financial advice.

And this is only 2015 - YTD, without dividends being paid (price returns, since gold doesn't pay a dividend). Physical gold is cool to hold but a very bad (historically) long term investment choice.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:26:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ToxicMasculinity] [#26]
What it really is, is insecurity. It's just like when somebody tries to bully, insult, posture, whatever.. it's because that person is insecure. There is literally no other primary reason for certain behaviors.

If OP had a little more intelligence and humility (they actually go hand-in-hand) he would realize he's just a tiny fish acting like a fanatical lunatic. Every post is aggressive nonsense about what-ifs.

It is extremely apparent OP isn't educated on the matter. As in zero knowledge whatsoever. With one day of real study he would stfu about it and humbly say "get both." When people act like this, you know they have nothing backing up their loud mouth opinion.

It's fine being pissed about missing out. But it's not healthy to be so hung up on it.

I am interested in hearing more about how Bitcoin is a psy op and other conspiracies. I love a good story.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:41:23 AM EDT
[#27]
I was going to say something about owning a drive in movie theater and how I've never seen this much projection in my life or ask if the coc only applies to those that disagree with group think or how did I get booted from the bitcoin thread when you guys can say what you've been saying but you just don't argue with certain people that can bring you down to thier level and beat you with experience.       Good night Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:43:54 AM EDT
[#28]
I think bitcoin will ultimately fail. But what do I know I'm really a psyop poster... buy more and more bitcoin!
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:47:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Torf] [#29]
View Quote
If I had cashed out 2.5 years ago and bought gold, I'd be livid.  I'd have missed out on the chance to rebuy back in at 1/4th the price and made a 4x or more on my money instead of a paltry 37%
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:11:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Bitcoin peaked two and a half years ago at about thirty seven ounces of gold. Now worth less than twenty seven ounces.
Twenty seven percent decline in two and a half years. Bitcoin is going much lower.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:45:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Torf:
If I had cashed out 2.5 years ago and bought gold, I'd be livid.  I'd have missed out on the chance to rebuy back in at 1/4th the price and made a 4x or more on my money instead of a paltry 37%
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Torf:

I almost exchanged a decent amount of BTC for gold when it reached parity...  so it's up a bit from 1:1 to "only" 27x...
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:47:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By DubyaB:

I haven't known anyone ever that bought anything with Gold
Do you often pay for things with Gold?  

Also rated thread troll
View Quote

I sure as hell have. A couple of my buddies have done very well trading with gold and guns. They are both into guns and cars. Gold is just for security. Other guys into guns and cars often take far less than their asking price worth of bling or blasters. Usually niche, collectible or limited production stuff but it happens. Maybe it’s nostalgia or not having a paper trail. Or they could just like shiny things.

Years ago one of them would keep a couple of guns he didn’t like in his glovebox to trade. His latest disappointment and something collectible usually. He had the first HS2000 I saw in .357 Sig and traded it for a car he was into. Can’t remember what as he had a lot but I was impressed. Old Charger maybe.

I’ve seen a hitman hired for a silver bar. Like $400 worth at the time iirc. Bumbling idiot killed a good man and I’m not happy or advocating it but it very much happened.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:49:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By AZ_Sky:
I have no problem with that.
If I can't hold it in my hand, it's worthless as far as I'm concerned.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:59:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sebastian_MacMaine] [#34]

View All Quotes

They're only up about 35% since 2012.  I sold an ounce at about $1790 back then.  Might have been 2011, I forget. Six hundred bucks in 12 years, not bad.

That's ok.  What's the price comparison since 2012?  33% for gold, somewhere over 100,000% for Bitcoin?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:24:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:13:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:25:05 AM EDT
[#37]
I reread the thread, and you guys make a convincing argument. I guess Bitcoin is just getting started. Should be good for a couple million percent increase annually. I don't know how society has made it this far without such a basic necessity.  #Crypto #ToTheMoon
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:58:05 AM EDT
[#38]
I expect this bitcoin cycle to peak somewhere over $100k and probably under $150k.  I expect it will then go down and probably sell for less than $60k at some point in the two years after that peak.

Every major cycle is likely to be a lower multiple of the previous high.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:06:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By MidwestJ:
https://i.postimg.cc/d0kQCp1m/IMG-9825.png

Ignore BTC at your own peril.
View Quote

stupidest argument you can come up with

Just because the dollar sucks doesn't make bittytoin any less ridiculous

Like saying

"Paper houses are stupid, buy ants"

Just because that is the excuse used to prop up bitcoin (worthless dollar) doesn't actually give any real value to an imaginary nothing
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:08:09 AM EDT
[#40]

When's the last time you witnessed someone use gold as a currency?
View Quote

oh like during ever single societal collapse

just because your not paying attention doesn't mean it isn't happening

Really your posting is getting painful to read.  So much embarrassment to yourself, like watching the fat guy on ice skates, you just want him to quit
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:14:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Not allowed to post in the bitcoin thread because I was hurtful.  It's been a month. I still hold to " A tulip by any other name is still a tulip" At least the people who invested heavily in beanie babies still have beanie babies to look at. Thats more than you'll be able to say about bitcoin in twenty years.
View Quote
Beanie Babies and Tulips are terrible analogies. Using them just tells me you know very little about bitcoin.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:37:03 AM EDT
[#42]

Hurt feelings don't equal shitposting. We disagree with each other. What's shitty about that? I would say encouraging people to destroy their life savings is pretty shitty... I wouldn't want to have to explain to loved ones how I stayed at a poker table till broke.
View Quote

Amazing what supposedly shit posting is these days...I call it truth. BTC is just another machination by those in the know...stealing your hard earned money with a man made, computer driven code...wait until quantum computers crack it...thar she blows...

Gold and Silver are tangible, like farm land. If you know what the markets have in store for you...you might consider putting some of your wealth into a "store of wealth"...one that has been around for 6000 years.

Why do you deniers think all of these central banks are loading up on Gold?

Why do you think Silver is being sucked dry by China and India?

The Silver Institutes report coming out this week is going to be eye opening. Silver has been in a deficit for years...

A Commodity super cycle is rounding the corner. Futures contracts are just another machination...robbing those countries of their wealth via a contract held by banks...who woulda thought?

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:45:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Seems there's a lot of people shitposting and trolling in this thread but it isn't me
View Quote

BTC Hodlers seem to get very upset when you question their logic(lack thereof).

Bitcoin was sold as a blockchain tech...in order to process payments which had taken days to handle, down to seconds. Part of the marketing campaign to promote it was handling money...seems it stuck. There are plenty of smarter people than me talking about the limited reach bitcoin has.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:50:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: woodsie] [#44]
View Quote

If I could time everything perfectly I'd be a billionaire but I'm happy enough being up 30,000% in the last 10 years.

And if I could see the future it wouldn't be gold anyway.  I would have rather rotated to Nvidia stock or something.  Gold is and always has been an increasingly underperforming asset the further you go back in time.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:54:44 AM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

It's a stupid point.  Are saying you are happy you didn't sell your gold 10 years ago and buy Bitcoin at $200?

The cherry picking game is dumb.  There lots of stuff that beats both bitcoin and gold if you are going to arbitrarily pick a 2.5 year window.

As far as Bitcoin goes, you are comparing a cycle peak with a point in time that is still prehalving and historically very early in the cycle.  It makes no sense at all.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:59:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By renov8:

Amazing what supposedly shit posting is these days...I call it truth. BTC is just another machination by those in the know...stealing your hard earned money with a man made, computer driven code...wait until quantum computers crack it...thar she blows...

Gold and Silver are tangible, like farm land. If you know what the markets have in store for you...you might consider putting some of your wealth into a "store of wealth"...one that has been around for 6000 years.

Why do you deniers think all of these central banks are loading up on Gold?

Why do you think Silver is being sucked dry by China and India?

The Silver Institutes report coming out this week is going to be eye opening. Silver has been in a deficit for years...

A Commodity super cycle is rounding the corner. Futures contracts are just another machination...robbing those countries of their wealth via a contract held by banks...who woulda thought?

View Quote
IMO quantum computing is one of the prime threats to bitcoin. I think it's likely we'll see a hard fork to a quantum resistant algorithm if quantum computers come online that can crack it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:39:39 AM EDT
[#47]
I'm not suggesting that Gold has increased in value. Just that it's a ruler by which you can measure.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:54:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By UTCenturion:

the problem with this logic is after 15 years in i still dont know anyone who has bought something with bitcoin. Nor have i heard an example of someone actually exchanging something for bitcoin. Ive heard of people buying bitcoin to get in on a rise, but im not sure theres a real use case in the end. Gold has been a medium of exchange for like 10000 years or more. Its not perfect either it has its problems but atleast it has a track record
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By UTCenturion:
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
Most people trust money in their bank held digitally.

Bitcoin removes the untrustworthy government and bank from the equation and lets you send or receive value over long distance without knowing or trusting the ssender. It follows a planned inflation cycle that approaches zero inflation over time. Bitcoins inflation rate has been below the feds target rate for four years and in a few weeks it will be less than half the feds target rate for USD. Due to the limited nature and worldwide utility I expect BTC to continue climbing for awhile longer. I believe it's value will stabilize over time as the value increases and acceptance increases.

When the last bitcoin is produced 100 years from now there will be 21 million total. If 10% of the United States wanted a 1 bitcoin savings account, they couldn't have it. When you consider it's a worldwide currency hedge, the prospective adoptive population is much larger than 10% of the US.

the problem with this logic is after 15 years in i still dont know anyone who has bought something with bitcoin. Nor have i heard an example of someone actually exchanging something for bitcoin. Ive heard of people buying bitcoin to get in on a rise, but im not sure theres a real use case in the end. Gold has been a medium of exchange for like 10000 years or more. Its not perfect either it has its problems but atleast it has a track record

you can use bitcoin to buy gold

check mate

i just sold a ruger gp100 here and offered bitcoin as payment.  i'm about to sell another soon, i will still accept bitcoin as payment
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:00:22 AM EDT
[#49]
I'm not suggesting that Gold has increased in value. Just that it's a ruler by which you can measure.
View Quote

Careful backpedaling so hard. You're going to hurt yourself
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:07:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Gold isn’t terrible as a historical store of value. Its worth is derived from the perceived limited supply. Rarity is the the real measure of value.

People seem to forget that you can create fake gold that looks and feels like the real thing. So why buy any real gold? Because it’s rare, hard to source, and difficult to obtain.

That is the only reason gold has value. If you could go to the beach and pickup gold rocks like seashells, no one would give it a market value.

Understanding these facts will help you understand bitcoin. It’s not the pretty gold color that people are fighting to obtain. It’s the rarity.

With a mathematically proven rarity, bitcoin does everything gold does without any of the physical complications. Transacting in bitcoin isn’t perfect, but it’s far superior than transacting in gold.

All of the tangible assets arguments fly out the window when you realize you aren’t storing all your cash in a safe. Banks store your money on a computer network as an IOU. Your land isn’t really your land - property taxes are due every year and someone with more force can push you off of it at any time. Your land is a paper deed sitting in the town hall. Lines can be redrawn at any time. Governments change. Tyranny happens.

Gold isn’t my thing, but if that’s your play, I’ll defend your right to do so every day of the week. Because that is real freedom.

But let’s be honest in our discussions about bitcoin. It’s a lot more than magical internet money. It’s the very thing humans have been craving since the early days of society.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top