Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
How safe is Seattle? (Page 2 of 3)
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:09:38 PM EDT
[#1]
No idea, but just get a cab or uber or whatever from the venue if you're actually concerned about being in an area flooded with a ton of people who just got out of the same concert
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:09:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheSadPatriot] [#2]
I lived in downtown Seattle and our coorperate office is in downtown seattle.

It is NOT safe at all.  I can't believe the posters here.  I was there last month: Fentanyl smoke blown in my face, man have a drug indused seasure in front of me, druggie punching the metal pole over and over with a furious look a foot from me waiting to cross the street......

Put it this way, and this is something I have NEVER seen: downtown Nordstums at closing time has round the clock security guards posted every 50 feet around an entire block!  No patrolling; I'm talking about 20+ guards around the building standing.  I can't imagine the cost.  And I'm sure they are doing that because Seattle is so safe.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:10:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jacon] [#3]
Stay out of downtown after dark. Actually, just stay out of downtown.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:14:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jacon:
Stay out of downtown after dark.
View Quote

1000%

I've had multiple robbery attempts on me downtown Seattle when I lived there.  I am very street smart and have seen/been in it all.  However, unless you are used to third world shit holes, then places like Portland, Seattle, LA, even San Fran might be best to stay away.

I was in downtown Chicago a couple months ago and thought it was 100x safer than Seattle at night.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:15:42 PM EDT
[#5]
You’re as good as dead.  GD probably.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:17:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TheSadPatriot:

It is NOT safe at all.  I can't believe the posters here.  I was there last month: Fentanyl smoke blown in my face, man have a drug indused seasure in front of me, druggie punching the metal pole over and over with a furious look a foot from me waiting to cross the street......

Put it this way, and this is something I have NEVER seen: downtown Nordstums at closing time has round the clock security guards posted every 50 feet around an entire block!  No patrolling; I'm talking about 20+ guards around the building standing.  I can't imagine the cost.  And I'm sure they are doing that because Seattle is so safe.
View Quote
Man I'd love to see you somewhere thats actually dangerous and not just dirty
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:18:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Lived there from 1992 to 2016 and never thought most of it was all that dangerous.  But watched it turn into more and more of a shithole in that time.  Everything that gave it character it had back then disappeared.  Its more like a goofy looking CA now.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:22:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:24:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I can't believe the posters here.
View Quote

Well at least we agree on that. Albeit for very different reasons.

Use some common sense and have some situational awareness and a trip to Seattle will be fine. Even lacking that, the odds of experiencing some sort of trouble are minuscule. Millions of people survive it without incident every year.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:24:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Windustsearch:
Lived there from 1992 to 2016 and never thought most of it was all that dangerous.  But watched it turn into more and more of a shithole in that time.  Everything that gave it character it had back then disappeared.  Its more like a goofy looking CA now.
View Quote

In hindsight, you probably lived in Seattle during its best period in the last 120 years, +2 on either end maybe.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:27:09 PM EDT
[#11]

1000%

I've had multiple robbery attempts on me downtown Seattle when I lived there.  I am very street smart and have seen/been in it all.  However, unless you are used to third world shit holes, then places like Portland, Seattle, LA, even San Fran might be best to stay away.

I was in downtown Chicago a couple months ago and thought it was 100x safer than Seattle at night.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:29:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Brassrainbows:
I'm taking my family there this summer for two nights with Metallica.  After watching the you dead bitch video, I'm a little concerned about our safety. I will as always be carrying however when we go to the show I will not be able to carry due to metal detectors. Scary thought of coming out of the show unarmed late at night.

View Quote

I was just at the stadiums Monday for a Reds vs Mariners game. Just outside T-Mobile Park, after the game, I had an old druggy/bum call out to me.... Hey whiteboy....your time is coming, we gonna turn you white motherfuckers inside out... totally unprovoked, he just had to say it I suppose. Either way it weirded my wife out. Joke was on him though, right there on Occidental by the Silver Cloud is a street vender there for most events with insured storage lockers... I'd just picked my daily carry up.

To your question OP, I encounter that damn near every time I go into Seattle.  

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:10:52 PM EDT
[#13]
you gon get raped.gif

i keed, i keed.

it's probably okay.

just watch for HIV pot needles and piles of bum poo on the sidewalks.

@The_Master_Shake
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:24:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Boomer:

“And such”….

Uh huh, suruuuurrrrre.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 2JokersWild:
I semi regularly go to Capital Hill for concerts and such…

“And such”….

Uh huh, suruuuurrrrre.

I think that's code for gay sex
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:30:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Honestly, that’s kind of a waste of a day. You aren’t going to have time to stop and appreciate any of the things to see along the way and other than the ferry ride, Hood Canal bridge and Lake Crescent, the drive itself is pretty boring and lacks any decent scenery. A better use of a single day, contingent on the weather, would be a trip up to Cap Sante park in Anacortes, then down across Deception Pass, further south on Whidbey Island for a stop at Fort Casey, then catch the ferry from Clinton back to Mukilteo.

Maybe a side trip out to Camano Island for a meal at Dupemaster’s restaurant.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cape_hunter:
If you have a whole day, rent a car and hop on a fairy go for a drive out on the peninsula. Any of the towns along the way, Port Townsend, Dungeness, Port Angeles etc., towards Neah bay make a good day out of the city.
Good seafood pretty much the whole drive.

Seattle is just like any other big city, dirty, smells like piss and is full of idiots....both homeless and not.
The market is a good way to kill a few hours but that's about it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/8306/Screenshot_2024-04-19_084605-3192118.jpg

Honestly, that’s kind of a waste of a day. You aren’t going to have time to stop and appreciate any of the things to see along the way and other than the ferry ride, Hood Canal bridge and Lake Crescent, the drive itself is pretty boring and lacks any decent scenery. A better use of a single day, contingent on the weather, would be a trip up to Cap Sante park in Anacortes, then down across Deception Pass, further south on Whidbey Island for a stop at Fort Casey, then catch the ferry from Clinton back to Mukilteo.

I would take the ferry to Bremerton and tour the USS Turner Joy.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:31:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Seattle is kind of OK in daylight - dirty, lots of "homeless". I live here and avoid downtown, Pioneer Square, Pike Place Market, Belltown as much as possible.

Stay away from 3rd avenue, especially around the Courthouse on James and the Mcdonalds on Pine (there's a reason it is called "stabbing McDonalds).
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:06:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By redmond:
Seattle is kind of OK in daylight - dirty, lots of "homeless". I live here and avoid downtown, Pioneer Square, Pike Place Market, Belltown as much as possible.

Stay away from 3rd avenue, especially around the Courthouse on James and the Mcdonalds on Pine (there's a reason it is called "stabbing McDonalds).
View Quote

What was the deal with the court house a couple years ago? They started bringing people back in person after covid but there was so much violence the county couldn't keep people safe, their own employees, trying to get to the court house so they sent them all back home again?
Forgot about that
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/law-justice/safety-concerns-linger-with-reopening-of-king-county-courthouses-main-entrance/
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:15:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:19:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cape_hunter] [#19]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:21:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Just a little better than downtown Somalia!
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:45:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By fssf158:

I would take the ferry to Bremerton and tour the USS Turner Joy.
View Quote

The Turner Joy is a great ship to tour. The ship itself is very well kept, you can go pretty much everywhere within, and if you have any Naval or maritime background the staff will likely let you into any areas that are closed off.

Lunch or dinner next door at Anthony's is decent
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:54:31 PM EDT
[#22]
First and last time I was there was 6years ago for a wedding.   Stayed at the downtown Hilton which was nice on the inside with lots of security patrolling the outside to keep homeless off/out.   I had a 2 year old in a stroller and a walked to Pikes Market.   Lots of ferrel youth walking and riding around on bikes, circling tourist, looking for opportunities.  I kept my head on a swivel.  Homeless and trash EVERYWHERE.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:54:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:55:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SamuelAdams1776] [#24]
You dead, bitch!

Beat by 1 minute.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:59:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JG_Wentworth] [#25]
only time ive been was around thanksgiving last year and went to the Pikes market

theres homeless drug addict looking people all around from the train station to the market. inside the market place didnt really see any of those types so maybe they do a good job of keeping them out.  Nobody bothered me but  it was during daytime though
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:25:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Lots of drugs and filth.  Don't park your car just anywhere.  You'd have to research a secure, guarded lot somewhere.  

I popped into the city a few weeks ago.  My son got to see his first person rummaging for food in a dumpster and someone prepping a needle while they were walking in a crosswalk.  Broad daylight too.  It's a liberal city; what do you expect.  

It's mostly just petty crimes to support drug users.  Lots of shoplifting, car prowls, petty thefts and such.  Most violence seems to be targeted stuff like dealers gunning down other dealers.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:27:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Boomer] [#27]

Always amazed at the one upper crowd here . "Your idea is dumb, do the same thing, but my way". The point, being, take a drive.
Having done it several times while up there working out of Balmer, I disagree. That said, even a wasted day along the coast is better then a day in dt seattle.
View All Quotes

Always amazed at the one upper crowd here . "Your idea is dumb, do the same thing, but my way". The point, being, take a drive.
Having done it several times while up there working out of Balmer, I disagree. That said, even a wasted day along the coast is better then a day in dt seattle.

Not trying to one up anyone. You are talking about an 8 hour round trip without a whole lot to see or do immediately along the way. If that’s your cup of tea, then so be it. Sometimes I just like to drive, too. But I think most visitors to the state would appreciate a day trip with more of the iconic scenery and experiences that the area is known for. Especially if they don’t come here frequently or ever again. Trips all the way out to the Pacific coast really need at least a couple of days, preferably more.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:39:19 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

I am sure wherever you were sounds bad (at times.)  But dang, he's going to a concert at Lumen Feild, not going through the dreggs of hell in downtown Seattle.  70,000 people including me attend Hawks and Mariners games, when was the last time anything happened.      

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:50:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mancat] [#29]
If you have a whole day, rent a car and hop on a fairy go for a drive out on the peninsula. Any of the towns along the way, Port Townsend, Dungeness, Port Angeles etc., towards Neah bay make a good day out of the city.
Good seafood pretty much the whole drive.

Seattle is just like any other big city, dirty, smells like piss and is full of idiots....both homeless and not.
The market is a good way to kill a few hours but that's about it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/8306/Screenshot_2024-04-19_084605-3192118.jpg

View Quote

This is a really great drive but imo it's NOT a day trip. By the time you get to Neah Bay and walk out to Cape Flattery (it's the only thing to do there) you'll be spent and won't want to drive back that day.

Hotels in Forks aren't great unless you're cool staying in an old motel.

There are some pretty cool old cabins at Lake Crescent, which has always kind of creeped me out just by how deep it is.. almost 700ft.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:39:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By mancat:

This is a really great drive but imo it's NOT a day trip. By the time you get to Neah Bay and walk out to Cape Flattery (it's the only thing to do there) you'll be spent and won't want to drive back that day.

Hotels in Forks aren't great unless you're cool staying in an old motel.

There are some pretty cool old cabins at Lake Crescent, which has always kind of creeped me out just by how deep it is.. almost 700ft.
View Quote

That's the big bummer about going around the Olympic National Park.  Once you get West of Port Angeles, there isn't much for hotels until you get to around Ocean Shores.  That's a long day of driving.  Best bet is to do it in 2-3 days.  Do a trip to Hurricane Ridge the first day and get a hotel in Port Angeles.  Leave early the next morning, hit Neah Bay/Ruby Beach/Hoh rain forest, then jog out to Ocean Shores for a decent hotel.  Then drive home the next morning.  

That's the way I usually do it.  It's a ton of driving...
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:15:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Master_Shake] [#31]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
you gon get raped.gif

i keed, i keed.

it's probably okay.

just watch for HIV pot needles and piles of bum poo on the sidewalks.

@The_Master_Shake
View Quote

I agree with the Sad Pariot above. I've lived and worked in different parts of Seattle for many years and it comes down to a numbers game.

9 times out of 10 you can walk around most of Seattle and be safe, but if you do it enough you will inevitably put yourself or your family in the type of situation where you will absolutely never risk it again. I won't share personal anecdotes but really bad things happen to the office workers in Seattle that largely go unreported

You can minimize the risk by taking Ubers everywhere (straight to the door), not going out at night, and avoiding trouble areas.

OP will be fine if he's attending a large event like a concert I'd just recommend not looking for street parking anywhere near the area and cough up the bucks for garage parking so his car isn't vandalized near the train tracks on Sodo (been there as well)

I have a travel heavy job, and spend lots of time in different cities but Seattle stands out as one of the worst (at least in Chicago there's a clear divide on where not to go) A very dangerous place that is cloaked in a charming PNW facade.

Many of the professionals I know who live and work in the area won't step foot in Downtown (let alone bring their family) so I always chuckle at the responses here who showed up for the weekend, toured the Pike Place Market, then recommend it to others.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:52:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Mr_Woodsy:

Over 1000 OD deaths last year in King County, half of which were in homes, which shoots down the whole "it's a homeless problem" argument.
So far this year, the numbers state wide.

I believe the total for Seattle homicides last year was 72

Most of the crime around here is property crime. Business's get shit stolen constantly, nobody seems to mess with cars much since the tweakers can walk into big box stores and walk out with whatever they want. That said, a lot of cars get windows broken out in the tourist areas. Get whatever rental car insurance you can and don't leave anything in the car.
View Quote

Be careful with crime stats… many places are downgrading things- like a legit strong armed robbery is coded as just a theft.  Or people just quit reporting stuff because there is just so much of it, and they know even if police find and arrest someone, the DA’s won’t bother to prosecute oftentimes.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:54:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Boomer] [#33]
My sister has worked for several large engineering companies in Seattle over the last 20 years, a few in offices located in the Pike Place Market, Westlake and Pike & 6th Ave areas, one on Elliot Ave and another in SoDo. She commutes in via express bus from Everett. She never has any real problems. Same with pretty much every other professional I know who works in Seattle. I have worked in Seattle, both in the Interbay and SoDo areas and in between on all days of the week and at all times of the day. I go downtown occasionally on weekdays to have lunch with my sister. Every once in a while I will hit the Dick’s on Broadway late at night just for the freakshow. I don’t know if some of you just have dark clouds hanging over you or don’t have much perspective, but while Seattle might be a shithole in many aspects, random violent crime is not one of them. Not to say it doesn’t happen occasionally , but that’s every other sizable city, too.

Maybe I should start wearing my GoPro during my visits so everyone can see all the violent attackers I have to fend off.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:08:15 PM EDT
[#34]
My sister has worked for several large engineering companies in Seattle over the last 20 years, a few in offices located in the Pike Place Market, Westlake and Pike & 6th Ave areas, one on Elliot Ave and another in SoDo. She commutes in via express bus from Everett. She never has any real problems. Same with pretty much every other professional I know who works in Seattle. I have worked in Seattle, both in the Interbay and SoDo areas and in between on all days of the week and at all times of the day. I go downtown occasionally on weekdays to have lunch with my sister. Every once in a while I will hit the Dick’s on Broadway late at night just for the freakshow. I don’t know if some of you just have dark clouds hanging over you or don’t have much perspective, but while Seattle might be a shithole in many aspects, random violent crime is not one of them. Not to say it doesn’t happen occasionally , but that’s every other sizable city, too.

Maybe I should start wearing my GoPro during my visits so everyone can see all the violent attackers I have to fend off.
View Quote

Would agree again.   Some sound like they live in doom and gloom and fear at all the times, kinda wondering why they are on this site.  Honestly you have a better chance of dying on I-5 from idiot drivers.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:08:46 PM EDT
[#35]
The problem isn’t so much that Seattle (or Portland) are really more dangerous than other big cities, it is just that compared to 20 or so years ago they are indeed a lot more dangerous.

Anyone who has spent considerable time in either city over the years should agree.  There is no good reason they cannot be a hell of a lot safer, cleaner, nicer to visit, etc, except for leftist politics dragging the places down.

Some of you pass thru these types of cities once in a while, but I saw it first hand working LE, and saw what regular people did not see back then, and what regular people don’t see today.  The downhill slide is pretty damned steep.  What is tolerated these days is ridiculous.    

Homeless folks don’t scare me personally, but I do worry about the family- they don’t know how to deal with them.  Also I don’t want my car broken into and stuff stolen.  And lastly- I didn’t really want to deal with problem homeless folks and other trouble makers when I was being paid quite well to do so, so why would I want to deal with them at all in my own free time?  I avoid the cities if at all possible as a result.  Concerts are one of the main reasons you will find me in Seattle or Portland at night though, as they don’t tend to schedule those very often in places outside the cities.  (Admittedly they do sometimes- those places are more enjoyable, but you end up doing a lot more walking!)

No way around it- a lot of cities are becoming problematic for normal folks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:14:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Master_Shake] [#36]

View Quote

I wish I could share specific stories of what happened to my colleagues while working 15 years in the less desirable areas of Seattle.

Speaking very vaguely I've had coworkers (plural) bottled on the way to their car after work, a female coworker who was assaulted and then had the dude attempt to drag her into an RV, and had numerous coworkers robbed

This not counting the many instances of more random stuff like walking to my car at the end of the day to find a homeless guy taking a fat shit next to it, or seeing junkies passed out with a band around their arm, or dudes hanging out on the front step of their RV jerking off at 1PM during the day, or seeing women get spit on after ignoring a homeless dude's advances, or having a dude who soiled himself sit right next to you on the bus only to pull out a foil and start smoking fentanyl

The one theme I've seen is that if you are female or Asian the homeless criminals will target you.

I don't think I have a dark cloud hanging around me, I'm a pretty normal office drone, just telling you what I've seen and advising anyone to be cautious.

I moved away the second my company went WFH and I've never been happier
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:16:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Mr_Woodsy:

What was the deal with the court house a couple years ago? They started bringing people back in person after covid but there was so much violence the county couldn't keep people safe, their own employees, trying to get to the court house so they sent them all back home again?
Forgot about that
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/law-justice/safety-concerns-linger-with-reopening-of-king-county-courthouses-main-entrance/
View Quote

Portland/Multnomah County had similar issues with the courthouse employees and county corrections employees being accosted trying to go to and from their cars, into the buildings, etc.  

And- In case people don’t know it, stuff like that and more “summer of love” (2020 riots) stuff has lead to a lot of LE and Corrections folks being out on PTSD claims- some of which is understandable based on what happened to some of them.  Stress from dealing with that, day after day, gets to some people, especially if there were specific events as part of it.  End result is less people actually working, big money spent on claims (or fighting claims), and needless to say- with all that going on, lots of people off work, cities are not being well policed.

Compare all that with the same cities in the 90’s, it is a night and day difference.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:22:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By GreenMushroom:

It's fuckin gross but overall not that dangerous. You'll just have to burn your clothes when u get home because the urine smell cannot be unsmelled. For reference I grew up east of and regularly worked in Oakland. In my experiences Seattle doesn't really compare to that or say Norf Richmond.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GreenMushroom:
Originally Posted By eurotrash:
I think the guy with the yellow Porsche avatar lives in Seattle.

It's fuckin gross but overall not that dangerous. You'll just have to burn your clothes when u get home because the urine smell cannot be unsmelled. For reference I grew up east of and regularly worked in Oakland. In my experiences Seattle doesn't really compare to that or say Norf Richmond.

I was just in Seattle recently for a few days, including downtown. It was no where near as bad as NYC and much better than I expected. Still not great, but not terrible. No issues with poop on sidewalks or the homeless. They kept to themselves.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:23:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OSUBeaver] [#39]
I'm from around Portland, I know what a PNW shithole looks like. I've only been to Seattle the last few years for large events around the waterfront.They seem to keep that place pretty cleaned up around those times.  We were staying on the water front during a weekend there were two Mariners games, 6 cruise ships, and two Taylor Swift concerts at Lumen.  It was great. Our Uber driver said the police did a sweep to push all the shitheads out before. I don't know how accurate that was.  I went a few weeks ago for supercross at Lumen and it was fine too
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:29:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By OSUBeaver:
I'm from around Portland, I know what a PNW shithole looks like. I've only been to Seattle the last few years for large events around the waterfront.They seem to keep that place pretty cleaned up around those times.  We were staying on the water front during a weekend there were two Mariners games, 6 cruise ships, and two Taylor Swift concerts at Lumen.  It was great. Our Uber driver said the police did a sweep to push all the shitheads out before. I don't know how accurate that was.  I went a few weeks ago for supercross at Lumen and it was fine too
View Quote

The police will do their best to push all the homeless from one are to the next. I went to Seattle for a concert a while back and was stunned at how clean specific areas of Pioneer Square looked.

The homeless are like gypsy caravans, so at times areas can look like a war torn third world country and at others look like a modern developed city.

Biggest issue with Seattle for tourists is not knowing how one street can change into the other very quickly.

Part of my job is taking foreign nationals around the city to have a good time and see the sights. After I cut them lose I always tell them they can go anywhere they want but it's important to always take an Uber to drop you off right in front of your desired location. Even if it's a 5 minute walk always take an Uber
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:30:00 PM EDT
[#41]
I was there a couple of nights last August. I didn't die.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:53:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By OSUBeaver:
View Quote

Yeah, I think they have been quietly pushing the homeless around or just out for the last year or two. I have been surprised at the disappearance of pretty much all of the homeless camps along I5.

Reading comments on FB or news websites, even a lot of the locals were getting pretty upset about the conditions, so the politicians have probably been feeling that heat, too. They finally got tired of the open radical socialist and voted her out.

OP isn’t going to have any problems foing to a concert.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:58:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By The_Master_Shake:

I wish I could share specific stories of what happened to my colleagues while working 15 years in the less desirable areas of Seattle.

Speaking very vaguely I've had coworkers (plural) bottled on the way to their car after work, a female coworker who was assaulted and then had the dude attempt to drag her into an RV, and had numerous coworkers robbed

This not counting the many instances of more random stuff like walking to my car at the end of the day to find a homeless guy taking a fat shit next to it, or seeing junkies passed out with a band around their arm, or dudes hanging out on the front step of their RV jerking off at 1PM during the day, or seeing women get spit on after ignoring a homeless dude's advances, or having a dude who soiled himself sit right next to you on the bus only to pull out a foil and start smoking fentanyl

The one theme I've seen is that if you are female or Asian the homeless criminals will target you.

I don't think I have a dark cloud hanging around me, I'm a pretty normal office drone, just telling you what I've seen and advising anyone to be cautious.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By The_Master_Shake:

Well that sucks. But that’s a pretty remarkable string of bad incidents. I’m just saying, you probably shouldn’t bother buying lottery tickets.

Zillions of tourists come and go without incident. It’s always wise to have a healthy sense of situational awareness. But your car could get broken into while hiking up to the Ice Caves, too.

OP is going to be fine. The fact that he asking questions shows a sense of awareness.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:11:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Master_Shake] [#44]

Well that sucks. But that’s a pretty remarkable string of bad incidents. I’m just saying, you probably shouldn’t bother buying lottery tickets.

Zillions of tourists come and go without incident. It’s always wise to have a healthy sense of situational awareness. But your car could get broken into while hiking up to the Ice Caves, too.

OP is going to be fine. The fact that he asking questions shows a sense of awareness.
View Quote

Lol I mean that's over 15 years of working in a pretty shitty areas (where they push the homeless to) and parking off site because I couldn't get into a parking garage.  Honestly though that just scratches the surface of what I've seen and most of those incidents happened to coworkers. A group of guys walking around rarely has to worry

For years I had to park in close proximity to a homeless RV camp because the closest parking garages were at capacity. Lots of bad stuff took place and if I wasn't traveling and had my old phone I'd include some pictures. You can practically smell the foul odor just through the pictures it is so bad.

I said it in my first post OP will be fine. It's all a numbers game and during game days you have to really stand out to get victimized. I would avoid "free" parking in Sodo though.

To each their own but I put in many years in Seattle and now just travel back every two weeks or so for work functions. Someday they'll want me in full time, and when that happens I'll have to do a serious introspective to see if it pencils out
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:31:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Some random show I watched yesterday made it pretty clear that Metallica is a gay band.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:35:20 AM EDT
[#46]
I walked all around the area around the Needle and was safe back in the early 2000s.
Even walked one area that was predominantly black and was hellowed a lot. (Helped I was tan as hell.) Was warned not to walk there.

Even saw a burglary at the 7-11 right at the Needle and shots were fired.

No way in hell would I walk the areas now.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:42:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:48:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Master_Shake] [#48]
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:
I walked all around the area around the Needle and was safe back in the early 2000s.
Even walked one area that was predominantly black and was hellowed a lot. (Helped I was tan as hell.) Was warned not to walk there.

Even saw a burglary at the 7-11 right at the Needle and shots were fired.

No way in hell would I walk the areas now.
View Quote

I had a buddy who lived right near the Space Needle back in the late 2000's

I'll never forget going to the 7-11 there and seeing a mound of SoBe caps on the ground near the side of the building.

Apparently the junkies used them to cook and shoot up dope and liked the big caps
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 12:55:11 AM EDT
[#49]
I was there in December;  TBQPH there were far fewer meth zombies than I expected.  Gas prices were about $2/gal higher than most of the country.

Don't make eye contact with them, don't let your kids or wife wander off alone, and in a worst-case scenario just remember that you don't have to be faster than the meth zombie, you just have to be faster than your toddler.  Oh, and wear puncture-proof shoes so nobody gets stuck with any used needles.

Also, you can rest assured that if a pack of feral "teens" starts sexually assaulting anyone in your group, the Seattle Police Department will stand around doing nothing.  Sadly, I'm not joking about this one.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kris_Kime
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:06:21 AM EDT
[#50]
We were there a couple times a few years ago.

Panhandlers were very threatening and aggressive.  

Otherwise it was nice.  

The Center for Wooden Boats gives free rides on Sundays.  They have a real steam launch, steam power is very interesting.

On the lake you get to see the floating homes, not actually house boats  https://www.seattleafloat.com/
Page / 3
How safe is Seattle? (Page 2 of 3)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top