Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:49:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Good lookin wood in this thread.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:51:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: feetpiece] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dissident:

Okay, I need to make sure I didn't miss anything here.  Is Ruger going to be doing a Mini pistol version?  Because that would seriously throw off all of my plans for gun purchases.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dissident:
Originally Posted By feetpiece:
Once Ruger starts cranking these out as pistols....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfgEERMcAac

Okay, I need to make sure I didn't miss anything here.  Is Ruger going to be doing a Mini pistol version?  Because that would seriously throw off all of my plans for gun purchases.

Not yet but if their marketing team had half a brain they will. With any luck my posts will get back to them and our dreams will come true. It might be time for a poll in it's own thread.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:59:07 PM EDT
[#3]
These guys say go for it,

Ruger re-released the Folder Mini 14,
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:12:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Bacon_Grease:  I definitely would like a Mini-30 with the whole Garand style top cover and rod in the front like I see many have done here.

Keep it nice and an irons only with the 5-10 round mags and stripper clips.
View Quote

The barrel clamps you're seeing resemble the M-14 gas piston assembly, not very Garand like.  There are wooden upper forends available.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:30:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Nice.  Sounds pretty much like what I'd do w/ one.  Wondered how to get a red dot on one w/ a stripper clip guide & wooden upper forend.  My only excuse is to have a ban state travel rifle, and feed it from stripper clips.  I've grown to appreciate that configuration more in the SKS, and can have the same in the Mini.
View Quote

Yep, ranch rifle makes it easy.  Med 30mm ruger ring mounted in front of ejection port.  The other option is running a Sampson handguard or ultimak handguard and have red dot on it.  I also have the Sampson, for 3 reasons, way to mount a qd recp and a modlight.  It also stiffens the barrel from its rear clamp to the gas block and the strut adds rigidity from gas block to struts front clamp.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:31:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Lots of not terribly cheap ways to correct that.  Adjustable gas blocks, barrel clamps, muzzle devices.
View Quote

Biggest change I sae was adding a little draw on barrel with stock forend and taking side to side slop out with shims in stock.  It cost me about .25 and an hour of my time.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:37:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By DH243:

Biggest change I sae was adding a little draw on barrel with stock forend and taking side to side slop out with shims in stock.  It cost me about .25 and an hour of my time.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DH243:
Originally Posted By backbencher:  Lots of not terribly cheap ways to correct that.  Adjustable gas blocks, barrel clamps, muzzle devices.

Come again?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:39:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:43:25 PM EDT
[#9]
..... & .300 Eldest Son.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:34:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By naes:
I expected this to be an Aimless thread when I read the title.  

Do they still make a mini 30?

Old wood stock guns need to be 30 cal.
View Quote

Yes.  30 on the left, 14 on the right.

I got the 30 when my dad passed.  He bought a wood stock for it that the shop told him was for a 30.  It was for a 14.

I bought new brackets from Ruger and hogged out the stock to fit.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:40:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:43:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Remington 7400 needs to be on your list
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:22:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:  Remington 7400 needs to be on your list
View Quote

Nope.  Fatalwishes left a .30-06 7600 in the safe, and the 7400 has a modern two piece stock, as do the early Remington & Winchester semi-autos.

Winchester 100 though is:

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Nope.  Fatalwishes left a .30-06 7600 in the safe, and the 7400 has a modern two piece stock, as do the early Remington & Winchester semi-autos.

https://image.invaluable.com/housePhotos/MyersAuction/69/684869/H5199-L227451285_original.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By whiskerz:  Remington 7400 needs to be on your list

https://image.invaluable.com/housePhotos/MyersAuction/69/684869/H5199-L227451285_original.jpg

Winchester 100 is a neat gun.  Remington 740 is as well though the long action mags are about $100 each if you can find them.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:09:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Ghostface:

FPNI

They made sense when they were blown out at Walmart for $400, I’d go so high and pay $600 for one. I refuse to pay the asking price for them now….
View Quote

I finally did something with one of my Walmart specials a few weeks ago.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:52:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Come again?
View Quote

Accurizing technique used on m14.  The forend is actually drawing barrel down with 3-4lbs of draw weight.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:03:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I have mixed feelings about minis

mines in 300 blk and I like it theoretically, but its super gassy with a silencer on it.  

I understand the adjustable gas block helps a lot, but then I think I need to ditch the acc-strut, which I like aesthetically for M14 vibes.  It launches brass, so more points for adjustable gas block.

That said, it's really fun to shoot, its triggers great and its reset is phenomenal, its recoil is a non issue, and I like anachronistic guns.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:08:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By jwb211:  I finally did something with one of my Walmart specials a few weeks ago.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/160892/320D8572-EFF5-48FA-B1DB-B555D076B08A_jpe-3198005.JPG
View Quote

It's not a bad truck gun, but I already have a Fold AR for that.

I didn't watch the A-Team, we didn't have a tv growing up, and when we got one for a computer monitor I wasn't allowed to watch it.

More interested in it (and the other wood stocked semi-autos) b/c it's a transitional piece.  The future had already been seen as early as the Colt rifle that there was no longer a reason for a single piece stock, yet the Belgians are persisting with the design of the 49 right past the 2nd WW, and we do the same with the M-14 despite the FN FAL right before our nose.

So all of the one piece stocked semi-autos are anachronistic to me - looking forward to the new semi-auto world of the future, ushering it in, but setting the most modern firearm action available in a single carefully shaped piece of wood, b/c firearms have been built that way for centuries now, since the earliest gonnes.

So the Mini is an anachronism, was when it was introduced, as was the M-14 and FN 49.  The Gewehr 43 was a contemporary of the MP 43, better known as the Sturmgewewhr 44.  The Garand was revolutionary, but even Garand didn't plump for a 2 piece stock.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:10:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Papposilenus:  I have mixed feelings about minis

mines in 300 blk and I like it theoretically, but its super gassy with a silencer on it.  

I understand the adjustable gas block helps a lot, but then I think I need to ditch the acc-strut, which I like aesthetically for M14 vibes.  It launches brass, so more points for adjustable gas block.

That said, it's really fun to shoot, its triggers great and its reset is phenomenal, its recoil is a non issue, and I like anachronistic guns.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/179834/IMG_0215_jpeg-3198023.JPG
View Quote

You can get an adjustable gas block for the Mini and still use a barrel strut.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:15:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I dig VZ52s, but wish the caliber was different and I haven't seen many conversion to 52/57s in the flesh

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:16:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Shit guns
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:16:27 PM EDT
[#22]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Papposilenus:  I have mixed feelings about minis

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/179834/IMG_0215_jpeg-3198023.JPG

nice, thanks

I'll try to round one of those up.  I didn't dig enough
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:26:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By lil_Sig:
Shit guns
View Quote

FN 49s, Garands, M1 Carbines are what?  Come again?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:27:18 PM EDT
[#24]
I want a Mini14
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:27:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:
I want a Mini14
View Quote

I want a wood stocked 6.8
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:08:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

View Quote

The only 6.8 I've seen in years is this one on consignment at a LGS and it's a bit spendy. Did they even offer them in 6.8 with a wood stock?

Ruger Mini-14 6.8 SPC  $1550.00
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:26:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By lil_Sig:
Shit guns
View Quote

Wrong.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:28:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By SmokeEater2:

The only 6.8 I've seen in years is this one on consignment at a LGS and it's a bit spendy. Did they even offer them in 6.8 with a wood stock?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 03RN: I want a wood stocked 6.8

Surely it can drop into a Mini-14 or -30 wood stock?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:32:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Sold my last GB folder right before Samson released their repro folding stock.

Now it's just my lone AC-556 in the safe. :-D

Mags are absolutely a weak point, especially in auto. Even factory 30s are 50/50 at best. Only thing that's been nearly flawless is factory 20s.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:35:01 AM EDT
[#30]

Surely it can drop into a Mini-14 or -30 wood stock?
View Quote

I have no idea but I wouldn't be surprised if all the stock types fit each caliber.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:37:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:39:10 AM EDT
[#32]
My kids all learned to shoot iron sight centerfire rifles on the Mini-14. It was a great rifle for chasing tin cans etc. When the kids grew up I sold the rifles like an idiot. Now like an idiot I own a couple new ones that are actually pretty accurate. My HD weapon is a 6720 but shooting the mini makes me smile for some reason.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:39:24 AM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

Nice

There's one on gb too starting at 1200.

A bit much for me.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:42:10 AM EDT
[#34]
If Ruger made this model with an actual brown traditional wood stock I’d be all over it. I love the sights and the simple streamlined pseudo-old school styling.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:46:25 AM EDT
[#35]

Nice.  Sounds pretty much like what I'd do w/ one.  Wondered how to get a red dot on one w/ a stripper clip guide & wooden upper forend.  My only excuse is to have a ban state travel rifle, and feed it from stripper clips.  I've grown to appreciate that configuration more in the SKS, and can have the same in the Mini.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DH243:  The mini 14 is the only il awb legal 556 semi auto, so I picked one up.  I'd talked trash about them for a long time and owned one back in the late 90s that I'd scoped to make something out of it that it wasn't, lol.  I found a pre 580 ss/wood ranch rifle for 700-ish, lnib.  Added an adj gas block/strut thing, switched front sight to new style winged front sight and cut down and recrowned barrel to 16.5.  I shimmed the stock to provide a tight fit to receiver and added an aimpoint pro in a single ruger ring.  Also cut down stock to shorter lop so it felt about like an m4 at the 2nd position from collapsed, also added a pachmyar rubber pad so that it doesn't slip around when shouldered or leaned against a workbench.  Add 69gr matchking ammo it will hover around 2-2.5"@100yds.  Wolf gold is closer to 3" and m855 is 3-3.5moa.  This is down off a ruck pack and no rear support and a 2moa red dot.  2/3ipsc steel is fairly easy to hit from several positions at 300yds, even with 855.

The Samson Hannibal rail is what you seek.

Here
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:22:51 AM EDT
[#36]
I’ve been hankering for years now for another Mini or similar form factor rifle…there’s just something about a sporter stock, detachable mag semi auto that makes me all fuzzy wuzzy inside. That being said, I didn’t really want to deal with the Mini’s peculiarities so I did something *really* dumb instead last week

I’m gonna build a Foxtrot Mike Ranch Rifle with a 9mm BRN-180 upper to compliment it eventually…and when the Regulator comes out in .277 Fury I’ll grab one too and do something really really dumb involving really pretty wood
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:28:27 AM EDT
[#37]
The only good thing the mini 14 has go8ng for it in 2024 is nostalgia for a very silly TV show from the 80s.

(If I made over 100k I would probably have a clone correct one as a wall hanger)
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:45:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By brasscrossedrifles:
The only good thing the mini 14 has go8ng for it in 2024 is nostalgia for a very silly TV show from the 80s.

View Quote

Not always. I never cared much for the TV show or the folding stock Mini versions, I much prefer the wood stock models. I just like 'em as something different than an AR for a change.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:46:52 AM EDT
[#39]

@Papposilenus where did you get that micro prism mount for your Mini?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:01:01 AM EDT
[#40]
I’ve had one since forever. It’s pretty mid. Make it take AR mags and I’d like it a lot better.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:08:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Natty_Bumppo:

Here
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Natty_Bumppo:
Originally Posted By DH243:  The mini 14 is the only il awb legal 556 semi auto, so I picked one up.  I'd talked trash about them for a long time and owned one back in the late 90s that I'd scoped to make something out of it that it wasn't, lol.  I found a pre 580 ss/wood ranch rifle for 700-ish, lnib.  Added an adj gas block/strut thing, switched front sight to new style winged front sight and cut down and recrowned barrel to 16.5.  I shimmed the stock to provide a tight fit to receiver and added an aimpoint pro in a single ruger ring.  Also cut down stock to shorter lop so it felt about like an m4 at the 2nd position from collapsed, also added a pachmyar rubber pad so that it doesn't slip around when shouldered or leaned against a workbench.  Add 69gr matchking ammo it will hover around 2-2.5"@100yds.  Wolf gold is closer to 3" and m855 is 3-3.5moa.  This is down off a ruck pack and no rear support and a 2moa red dot.  2/3ipsc steel is fairly easy to hit from several positions at 300yds, even with 855.

Here

Given that I want a wooden upper forend, that's exactly what I don't seek.  But it's a good way to add modern functionality to an obsolescent design.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:11:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Raider14:  I’ve been hankering for years now for another Mini or similar form factor rifle…there’s just something about a sporter stock, detachable mag semi auto that makes me all fuzzy wuzzy inside. That being said, I didn’t really want to deal with the Mini’s peculiarities so I did something *really* dumb instead last week

https://i.imgur.com/7XJLUdc.jpeg

I’m gonna build a Foxtrot Mike Ranch Rifle with a 9mm BRN-180 upper to compliment it eventually…and when the Regulator comes out in .277 Fury I’ll grab one too and do something really really dumb involving really pretty wood
View Quote

Only dumb thing in that pic is your optic height over bore when you have a semi-traditional stock that requires much lower optics.  Holy chin weld, Batman!

Glad to see you doing so well.  Throw your trash upper on there for pics to rustle the jimmies.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:16:02 AM EDT
[#43]
I had on in '89ish.  It sucked.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:19:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#44]
Originally Posted By brasscrossedrifles:  The only good thing the mini 14 has go8ng for it in 2024 is nostalgia for a very silly TV show from the 80s.

(If I made over 100k I would probably have a clone correct one as a wall hanger)
View Quote

That's incorrect.  As I've stated, I never watched the A Team.  It was built as a nostalgia rifle for the shortest lived US service rifle.

So:

1) Folding versions - A Team nostalgia/decent truck guns;
2) Fixed stocks - M-14 nostalgia (where some of my interest comes from, and why the short barrel clamps are so popular);
3) Ban state compliant for those behind enemy lines - and there are aftermarket stripper clip guides for the 181 series onwards, which means you don't need to carry 21x steel 10 round magazines for a standard load.

It's not the best modern rifle - but I'd argue that in Washington state, it's the best semi-auto 5.56 rifle you can buy new.  It's probably the only semi-auto 5.56 rifle you can buy new right now.  

ETA:  There's a Washington state contest - new production Mini-14 w/ stripper clip guide & 1x 10 round mag vs KelTec RDB Survival w/ 21x 10 round PMags:

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:23:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Who remembers the Ruger XGI, the 308 rifle that never was.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:29:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By ACDer:  Who remembers the Ruger XGI, the 308 rifle that never was.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69887/1000003765_png-3198374.JPG
View Quote

Yep, I remember those ads.  I bet it took Ruger a while to absorb that loss.  The wags take was it didn't even meet Ruger's standards for accuracy.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:29:55 AM EDT
[#47]

Only dumb thing in that pic is your optic height over bore when you have a semi-traditional stock that requires much lower optics.  Holy chin weld, Batman!

Glad to see you doing so well.  Throw your trash upper on there for pics to rustle the jimmies.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Raider14:  I’ve been hankering for years now for another Mini or similar form factor rifle…there’s just something about a sporter stock, detachable mag semi auto that makes me all fuzzy wuzzy inside. That being said, I didn’t really want to deal with the Mini’s peculiarities so I did something *really* dumb instead last week

https://i.imgur.com/7XJLUdc.jpeg

I was already spending stupid Sig money so I just full sent it with the 2x ACOG it was pretty bad before I installed the cheek riser. Not sure if it is a .5 or .75 riser but it feels on par with the ADM mount I use on my 20” and it’s 4x ACOG so I’m happy! Definitely lower than a carry handle.

Thanks tho bud definitely need to slap it on there for shits and giggles!
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:44:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: feetpiece] [#48]

I want a wood folding stocked 6.8 .458 SOCOM
View Quote

FIFY. Can you think of a better bush hammer? It'd be like a Mini-G had a baby:

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:35:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By ACDer:
Who remembers the Ruger XGI, the 308 rifle that never was.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69887/1000003765_png-3198374.JPG
View Quote

IIRC they auctioned off the prototypes a few years back...
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:38:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BullpupFan] [#50]
View All Quotes

All I have to say is "I pity da fool!"

While not "clone correct" the current 5895 is awfully close AND gets you both the ranch-rifle Ruger ring integrated bases, AND drilled-and-tapped for an included picatinny bridge rail, so closer to the AC556 they apparently never actually showed/used in the show *AND* the options to do modern optics easily should you wish to stop LARPing George Peppard.

ETA: Notice integral front sight just behind the tacked-on muzzle device, lack of barrel-mounted front-sight, and lack of receiver-mounted selector lever.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top