Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:02:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ceetee:
At Chase, they make you swipe your ATM card at the teller's station, and input your PIN to verify your identity.  It's like making a more complicated ATM withdrawal.  

There's no reason anymore to actually go into the bank unless you need a specialized service like a cashier's check.  The last time I actually went INTO a bank was to get a few thousand Euros for spending money for my vacation in Germany.
View Quote

I withdraw cash every two weeks and want the cash back a certain way(types of bills)and atms do not give me that option here.  So I have to go into the bank or use the drive through. Going in is usually quicker than the drive through.  

A co-worker recently went into the credit union and withdrew 40,000 dollars in cash and they didn’t bat an eye. Didn’t even ask for a picture ID.   May have recognized her but nonetheless. They were paying for a house renovation and the contractor likes to get paid in trash.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:11:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Gotta wonder about them asking for a CC. That is all kinds of wrong.

We have had dealings with PNC bank and they are just bad. They put money in wrong accounts, they cannot understand "doing business as...", the employees ignore customers. This is all from multiple branches so it is systemic.

We pronounce PNC as Penis-y Bank. We have severed all ties with them except my wife still has to deal with them for her employer and she comes home mad every time she has to deal with them.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:11:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By fingas:
You went into a bank for $200?  The last time I stepped foot in a bank was to close an account when my wife and I combined everything.  Get a debit card, turn off the purchasing function and use the ATM.
View Quote

Good idea.  I did not know that was possible.  I have always refused a debit card because a credit card has loss capped at $50 while the debit card loss does not have a cap.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:15:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Paul:
When you talked to the bank manager what did he say?

View Quote

I asked to speak to the manager.  Only a teller and teller trainee were in the bank.  I asked for them to get a manager on the phone and she gave me the 800 number.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:17:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By RTX:

We create the thread in GD before we waste time on silly shit like that. You know how this works, Paul.
View Quote

Not everyone goes off prematurely like you, Francis.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:17:55 AM EDT
[#6]
There's an inside to banks?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:21:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Ghey. Usually it's a debit card and PIN to verify.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:21:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By dcat:

I did.  They refused to give me the cash, and the refused to close my account and give me cash or a cashier's check.

View Quote

Guess they needed an excuse because they didn't have enough cash for your withdrawal?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:21:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By makintrax73:

I had $7,000 in cash stolen from an account last year.  A sort of special purpose business account we only pay 2 bills a year out of, so I wasn't watching the balance regularly.  It started with a $200ish in person cash withdrawal.  Then once the thief had their system down it was wiped out.

If OP had any sense whatsoever he would be happy the bank cares enough to take precautions.  The day you check your balance so you can pay the real estate taxes and find nothing in the account is rather more upsetting than being asked to see a 2nd form of ID.......

Either way unless you travel across the country a bunch a locally owned, smallish bank or CU is generally better in every possible way.  Get to know the people by actually going inside to do business  and being nice, make 30 seconds of small talk with the tellers.
View Quote

I have no issue w/ the bank taking precautions and asking me to verify information.  I have an issue with feel good measures that do not confirm my identity.  They said the DL picture matched and they knew I was who I said I was.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:21:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd have just gone to the nearest competitor and moved the account without another word. Borrowed money from a friend if needed to tide me over.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:22:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Went to PNC Bank to withdraw cash from my account today.  Handed them a withdrawal slip and my DL.  They asked for additional ID like debit card or credit card.

I don't have a debit or credit card from PNC and I don't see the need to share my other credit cards with them.

Have you seen this?  How would you handle?
View Quote

I’d close my account.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:22:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By HDLS:
Boomer thread.

View Quote

But I’d ask them what’s the basis for the additional steps
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:23:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By joekizanyu:
If you're gonna show your carry permit, then also show them your carry gun. That'll impress them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By joekizanyu:
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
use your carry permit and/or passport.
If you're gonna show your carry permit, then also show them your carry gun. That'll impress them.

I laughed
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:27:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Palm:
If they don’t have access to an electronic image of your account signature card, it is not uncommon.
View Quote

They do have my signature card.  The more I objected, the more things she threw up, one of which was the signature card was from 1992 and from a previous bank.  This is the sixth name on the sign outside.  Last year (IIRC) they made me change my account and routing numbers for the first time, after PNC bought BBVA.

They have never asked/told me that we needed to update our signatures, until well into it yesterday.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:27:36 AM EDT
[#15]
use your carry permit and/or passport.
View Quote

That's what I've used successfully. GA CCW's are laminated, pictured and have a hologram.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:31:31 AM EDT
[#16]

I have no issue w/ the bank taking precautions and asking me to verify information.  I have an issue with feel good measures that do not confirm my identity.  They said the DL picture matched and they knew I was who I said I was.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By makintrax73:

I had $7,000 in cash stolen from an account last year.  A sort of special purpose business account we only pay 2 bills a year out of, so I wasn't watching the balance regularly.  It started with a $200ish in person cash withdrawal.  Then once the thief had their system down it was wiped out.

If OP had any sense whatsoever he would be happy the bank cares enough to take precautions.  The day you check your balance so you can pay the real estate taxes and find nothing in the account is rather more upsetting than being asked to see a 2nd form of ID.......

Either way unless you travel across the country a bunch a locally owned, smallish bank or CU is generally better in every possible way.  Get to know the people by actually going inside to do business  and being nice, make 30 seconds of small talk with the tellers.

So if I learned all your personal information made a fake ID and with you all the money in your account, you wouldn’t be mad at the bank just because the picture matches doesn’t mean the ID is legit and posted above. It’s harder to fake a credit card than it is an ID, other than the account number and account information concerning finances the bank already has all the other information that’s on the credit card, but let’s turn a big nothing burger Into a thread that took more time to type them to offer a second form of ID.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:34:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By DeltaV42:
Stupid on PNCs part, but do you not have an ATM card if you have an account with them? Do you always go in to get cash?

I'm with the people who haven't been inside a bank, hell probably since I opened the account 17 years ago.
View Quote

I had an ATM card years ago but never used it.  I get several checks that I have to manually deposit.  I typically get cash 1-2x per month.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:34:59 AM EDT
[#18]
I've never heard of such a thing.

What we need is some sort of permissionless money.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:35:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Tell them this: I'm closing all my accounts.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:37:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By mohabie:
After dealing with a fraud case where someone cashed $6500 out of our 501c3 account, I'm pissed the bank didn't do more to prevent it from happening.

You should be happy ur bank is trying to make sure the name on your dl matches another form of ID.
View Quote

I understand the sentiment, but:
1. A credit card is not a form of ID.  
2. If someone steals your wallet, they have both your license and your credit cards.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:39:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By klutz347:
When did a debit or credit card become a form of ID?
View Quote

Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:40:17 AM EDT
[#22]

I did.  They refused to give me the cash, and the refused to close my account and give me cash or a cashier's check.

View Quote

Lol.  You think they are going to close out an account if they won't let you make a withdrawal?  lol
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:41:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Yeah! fuck the bank for taking extra measures to keep your account secure!
View Quote

Do not complain. ID showing is for your safety, Duh!
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Mr_Holiday:
  Are you a ‘known customer’?   I mean you do go into that branch regularly and know the staff and they know you, right?   If the answer is ‘no’ then present your DL and a major cc from any bank and withdraw your funds.   A pretty standard requirement.
View Quote

Regular customer.  My regular teller, whom I think they promoted to loan officer or manager was not there yesterday.  Only a teller and teller trainee were there.  I think they are trying to close the branch, though they are not on the list of branch closures for 2024.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:43:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Yeah! fuck the bank for taking extra measures to keep your account secure!
View Quote

Basically what op is crying about

I'd have them ask for 3 forms of ID.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:43:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Max429] [#26]

My regular teller was not there.  I opened the account in 1992, and PNC is the 6th name on the sign.  They have been downsizing all the branches and I think they would do away with all the tellers if they could.
View Quote

Several branches already have, it's ATM only at those branches now.  You get a video feed for a remote teller if you need a human interaction.

Why not just get the debit card for your account and swipe it as needed, makes it easier for the tellers as well.  Once your branch does away with the tellers you will need the card.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:47:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NCPatrolAR] [#27]
Originally Posted By JMD:

I withdraw cash every two weeks and want the cash back a certain way(types of bills)and atms do not give me that option here.  So I have to go into the bank or use the drive through. Going in is usually quicker than the drive through.  

A co-worker recently went into the credit union and withdrew 40,000 dollars in cash and they didn’t bat an eye. Didn’t even ask for a picture ID.   May have recognized her but nonetheless. They were paying for a house renovation and the contractor likes to get paid in trash.
View Quote

I highly doubt she just walked in and just withdrew $40k
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:48:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By LineOfDeparture:

Then why do they need the second ID? Ask him to verify any of those pieces of information and move the $#%^ on. They don't NEED to see anything else from him other than his ID.
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:49:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Advantages of a small town. No need for ID, we're all on a first name basis.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:53:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sandbowl1980] [#30]
Originally Posted By Aimless:
I think I've been asked for my debit or credit card in addition to my ID
View Quote

I have when doing withdrawals. I've got a limit set on atm withdrawal amt per day. If I need more I'll go into bank and they ask me to do withdrawal using my debt card at countier plus show ID. I've not written a check in over 20 years and I'm 60. I've got the original book of checks I got when I opened my acct. The only place I ever use my debt card is at the bank atm or inside. I charge everything I buy and pay my bills using a credit card. Then just pay off credit card. Rather have a hacked credit card than bank card.

Yeah pretty sure I've always been asked for debt card and other ID everytime I've gone in my banks. Credit union and national chain bank.

Oh btw some pos some how was able to go online and steal my drivers license. If it can happen to me it can happen to anyone. Now imagine if this person knew what bank I went to. They go there with that one form of stolen ID and close my acct out. Hell now I gotta renew my DL in person with 2 forms of ID no more online renewals. The BS some people cry about on this forum is stupid and juvenile.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:57:28 AM EDT
[#31]

Concealed means concealed and PNC is known anti-gun.  My passport is expired.
View Quote
best see to that, son.

i think i've also used an SDG&E contractor ID with my photo and/or my railroad safety badge with my photo.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:59:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Dynamo:
Maybe they have experienced a lot of ID fraud lately, especially with cash withdrawals.
View Quote

Yep and I'm glad my bank was alert to this crap.

After the equifax breach all my data was all over the net, enough data for someone to get a DL in another state and walk into a branch and try to withdraw a decent amount of cash.  A couple of extra questions by the bank saved me thousands.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:02:27 AM EDT
[#33]
So a checking account you can only access during business hours by going inside?

Why not get a debit card and use the ATM?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:09:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Local PNC won’t even allow you to get cash at the teller.  

They have ATMs that the maximum withdrawal limits are removed.  
I went and got cash about a month ago and didn’t have to show any ID.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:10:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Think that is bad, my local credit union makes me show an ID if I pay my mortgage in person. Like some random person may come in and pay my mortgage! I'd switch if the rate wasn't so great.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:15:14 AM EDT
[#36]

Measly $200
View Quote

Thank you for not clogging up the ATM line.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:19:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Dr_Dickie:
Because you might easily steal the photo ID, have plastic surgery to alter your looks to match the photo, but stealing a CC is too difficult?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By delemorte:

For a second form? Forever. Anything from a known bank with your name on it.
Because you might easily steal the photo ID, have plastic surgery to alter your looks to match the photo, but stealing a CC is too difficult?

If you have not experienced this then I dont know what to tell you man. If you are upset the people holding your money want to take reasonable efforts to insure its you before giving out your money then you are not paying attention to how much fraud actually goes on.

Thief uses fake ID to steal over $23K from bank account while metro Atlanta family was on vacation
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:23:53 AM EDT
[#38]
In this thread we learn lots of people get triggered or feel disrespected for the smallest of things nowadays.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:24:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By WTFShane:
I don't have PNC. Never had to provide additional ID other than swiping the debit card and entering PIN.
View Quote

It really is that simple. I don't know why the OP is still living like it's 1970.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:44:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#40]
Went to PNC Bank to withdraw cash from my account today.  Handed them a withdrawal slip and my DL.  They asked for additional ID like debit card or credit card.

I don't have a debit or credit card from PNC and I don't see the need to share my other credit cards with them.

Have you seen this?  How would you handle?
View Quote
That is the new normal, your info is on your debit or ATM card.  A guy with several million in his account could not withdraw $20K from Chase to buy my truck.  He had to wire me the money.  He jumped through every hoop, but a withdrawal did not happen without the ATM card.  It was an absurd day dealing with bank retards.

I carry my ATM card now.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:46:20 AM EDT
[#41]

I had an ATM card years ago but never used it.  I get several checks that I have to manually deposit.  I typically get cash 1-2x per month.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DeltaV42:
Stupid on PNCs part, but do you not have an ATM card if you have an account with them? Do you always go in to get cash?

I'm with the people who haven't been inside a bank, hell probably since I opened the account 17 years ago.

All of that can be done at an ATM 24/7. You can even deposit checks with your phone. You really are living in the past.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:47:53 AM EDT
[#42]
But you can't get fake credit cards??
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:47:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Just got off the phone with a bank manager.  His schedule is to be at this branch on Tuesdays and Thursdays "at least for the next two weeks".  Will be happy to personally handle my cash withdrawal.  They only verify the name and expiration date on a third-party CC, not scan it.  Understands my objection to debit card, never uses one himself.  

I can live with them looking at another CC, my objection was because I thought they were going to swipe it.  

So what did we learn?
1.  DLs are easy to fake and commonly used for bank fraud
2.  CCs are harder to fake than DLs
3.  FJB
4.  those that disrespect boomers have small penises

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#44]
I only use the big banks for credit cards with favorable "rewards".

Best thing I ever did in the banking category was to switch to a local credit union. SO MUCH BETTER to deal with, both on the phone (where I reach local people, not some 3rd world hellhole) and in person, than any of the banks, large or small, that I've dealt with in the past. I recommend credit unions.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:50:48 AM EDT
[#45]

If you have not experienced this then I dont know what to tell you man. If you are upset the people holding your money want to take reasonable efforts to insure its you before giving out your money then you are not paying attention to how much fraud actually goes on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVzOZvgT7ok
View All Quotes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVzOZvgT7ok
The point isn't them trying to protect your assets, it all rests on what you call "reasonable."  It is just stupid.  If they wanted to give all of their customers a secret security number, I would consider that reasonable.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:53:15 AM EDT
[#46]
has PNC lost a customer?
View Quote

Can't lose a customer until he produces another ID.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:02:10 PM EDT
[#47]
I think a lot of institutions are updating their info because I was asked for I'd for the first time in a couple of years.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:21:21 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

But again, how is a debit or credit card a form of ID?  Someone steals my wallet, they now have my cards, it's not an ID if anyone can use it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:24:00 PM EDT
[#49]
They're doing you a favor.  A friends identity was stolen a few months ago, you'd be surprised how easy it was for someone to come up with a fake DL.  After the fake DL, they we able to pull money from ATMs and get a replacement phone with his phone number.  When you have the on file phone number and an ID, all sorts of bad things can happen.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:29:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By dcat:Measly $200
View Quote

Very strange. ATMs squirt that much out without a second thought.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top