Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:33:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Peter Principle
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:36:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lucy:

I would need to update my resume to be less “successful.” And I think I could crush the new job since I’ve done it before and fully know what’s involved.

I used to exceed my goals by Wednesday and then not do anything Thursday/friday
View Quote

Maybe you should shoot for something in the middle instead of going back to your old gig. You're either being lazy or retreating to a "safe zone." You'll get bored and your career will stagnate.

It sounds to me like you'd be way better off just riding out your current gig and scaling back your lifestyle to accommodate a 60k paycheck. Apply yourself more and learn how to do your job better. Become more "worthy" of the 140k paycheck, but live like you're only bringing home 60k. If you get fired, you'll have money in the bank and you can go do your "safe zone" job. If you don't, you'll get better at your job and all the years you've spent working on this career path won't be a waste.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:40:37 PM EDT
[#3]

I would need to update my resume to be less “successful.” And I think I could crush the new job since I’ve done it before and fully know what’s involved.

I used to exceed my goals by Wednesday and then not do anything Thursday/friday
View Quote

what kind of "IT manager" has weekly goals?  You don't have on-going projects or break fix shit going on?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:41:09 PM EDT
[#4]
"A man's got to know his limitations."

Dirty Harry Callahan
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:42:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Continue where you are, plan a better exit and wait for the package, especially if you have a number of years at that company.  They are paying you to manage people, not necessarily understand all the technology.  

Quite quitting with a plan and bank two years in the bank.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:58:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you have a male mentor to help guide you through this common issue that men face continually ?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:59:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Skydivesnake:
Do you have a male mentor to help guide you through this common issue that men face continually ?
View Quote

For the record I've never considered taking a 50% pay cut.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:00:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I can see it. I'm self employeed and the number one thing that confuses my friends and sometimes the girl I'm dating/living with is I turn down work at times. Too much hassle and too much PITA factor that price won't cover.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:01:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I’m retired.   In my work career, I was a supervisor in an engineering test lab.   I knew about half of my area of responsibility.     Yes it was a lot of anxiety.    I saw my new boss get transferred into our department, knowing zero about what we did.      He turned out great.   He was a people manager, not a tech wizard.    99% of the problems management deals with are people problems, not technical.

I’ve seen people back slide into their old job, their comfort zone.    You can do better.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:08:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TaskForce:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TaskForce:

Right. You don't go forwards by going backwards. Folks often get promoted out of a shitty job into a rewarding one; just needs the right person to leave, a new boss, luck, someone to die, a word with HR etc etc But abandoning that path and rewinding the clock back 10 years and 50% pay is not the way to make forward progress. I've done shit/unrewarding jobs at time, just gotta battle through use it as a step up to the next thing.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:14:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Put a trusted subordinate who knows what the real deal is under your wing. Let that person run it under your "tutelage". Just like a Lt. lets his staff NCO run things. It's proven to be effective.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:14:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By bigkahuna48026:
I’m retired.   In my work career, I was a supervisor in an engineering test lab.   I knew about half of my area of responsibility.     Yes it was a lot of anxiety.    I saw my new boss get transferred into our department, knowing zero about what we did.      He turned out great.   He was a people manager, not a tech wizard.    99% of the problems management deals with are people problems, not technical.

I’ve seen people back slide into their old job, their comfort zone.    You can do better.
View Quote

I work in tech, I once hired a guy who previously worked in a cardboard factory, worked out great because I didn't need him to manage the technical contribution of my high-performers, but deliverables, schedules, resource negotiations, tech reviews, team dynamics, work allocation etc etc. Equally we sideways moved a burnt out tech guy into a mgt role (his request) and he was awful, yet ticked all the boxes.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:15:17 PM EDT
[#13]
thats and oof level pay cut.  you might look to move more laterally.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:15:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Right. You don't go forwards by going backwards. Folks often get promoted out of a shitty job into a rewarding one; just needs the right person to leave, a new boss, luck, someone to die, a word with HR etc etc But abandoning that path and rewinding the clock back 10 years and 50% pay is not the way to make forward progress. I've done shit/unrewarding jobs at time, just gotta battle through use it as a step up to the next thing.
View Quote

Well said.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:16:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Business degree/MBA here. Rather Sr. In my business…

What are your strengths in your role? What do you enjoy most about it? Have you had a discussion with your boss on what they want you to focus on and how you should prioritize deliverables?

How about your people? What are their strengths? Have you asked them what they need to be successful? Are you doing everything you can to ensure their success?

I lead a team of VPs and I don’t expect or want them to be good at the same things but I absolutely expect they help each other succeed. And Their overall success is my number one focus. They look good, I look good. They are happy, I am happy.

Lastly, what boundaries do you set for yourself? How do you leave work at work? What hobbies do you have that help mind and body be resilient?

Your boss believes in you, go deliver.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:17:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By gman82001:
I'd fake the hell out of it till they were onto my ass for $140k year
View Quote

This.
But I have kids. 140 would be starting pay…

Single guy? I could live on ~100. Not fancy, not broke.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:19:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By 86Tiger:

You are looking at this back asswards.

Look to your people.  There is one or more that are excellent at what they do who is keeping everything running.  Find that guy.  Not some one that sounds like that guy, the real that guy.  Learn from him.  Find some more like him even if you have to go outside organization to find them.

Managing is not about what you can do.  It is about what the people you place around you can do.  Find them.  Trust them.  And ride'em like a rented mule......
View Quote

Listen to this guy!
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:24:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HEMIsphere05] [#18]
That's a tough spot.  But the older I get the more I realize peace/happiness is worth more to me than money.

What good is 140k if you are miserable?

Edit:
But I agree with others you are there to manage and protect your people. Not work on the computers yourself. Maybe take a few night classes or shadow someone on your team so you can get a better understanding on how you can help them.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:26:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:33:04 PM EDT
[#20]

That’s kind of my plan, but having this hanging over my head is killing me. Waiting for the inevitable
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That’s kind of my plan, but having this hanging over my head is killing me. Waiting for the inevitable

Cut the worrying, ride out the managers job until they let you go.
Once you have the title in your resume, you should be able to land an equal level job, and probably better somewhere else.
If you take a big step down without some indication of being fired (and you took it to keep working and earning, that will be a big red flag if you decide to move on from the 60K job
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:35:27 PM EDT
[#21]
How old are you Lucy.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:48:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By panthermark:
Probably time to move on.  Unless you are making 7 figures or something, stress like that can kill you.
View Quote

What? So stress at a seven figure job cannot kill you or makes the death worth it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:04:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Being a successful supervisor is not about being "the boss". It is about being the leader. You might not know the most about a subject, but you can rally the troops to get the needful done. If you are not capable of doing that then you are like the majority placed into those situations for your boot polishing skills and your tongue. Shit, or get off the pot because in today's world, you will be left out in the cold when you skill meets up with your knowledge of subject matter with zero leadership skills.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:10:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Red_Label] [#24]
Retired 4 years ago from a 30 year IT career. You'd have to Vince Foster me before getting me to go back. I spend my days playing guitar, fishing, doing photography, driving around in my truck with my dog (or getting sun in my convertible), doing archery, watching Forged In Fire/YouTube/whatever, etc. It's not changing the world, but it's as close to heaven as I've felt since being a young man in the 1980s.

We own our 1950s home, and our older vehicles (mine are mid-2000s and my wife's Forrester is a 2015). She's retiring at the end of the year. We're more than happy living our very unremarkable, simple life. No paycheck is worth the daily hellish grind. She's been really struggling now that she's only months away. I keep telling her to put her retirement notice in now, but she feels like she needs to hang until her 12/20 date.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:19:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Red_Label:
Retired 4 years ago from a 30 year IT career. You'd have to Vince Foster me before getting me to go back. I spend my days playing guitar, fishing, doing photography, driving around in my truck with my dog (or getting sun in my convertible), doing archery, watching Forged In Fire/YouTube/whatever, etc. It's not changing the world, but it's as close to heaven as I've felt since being a young man in the 1980s.

We own our 1950s home, and our older vehicles (mine are mid-2000s and my wife's Forrester is a 2015). She's retiring at the end of the year. We're more than happy living our very unremarkable, simple life. No paycheck is worth the daily hellish grind. She's been really struggling now that she's only months away. I keep telling her to put her retirement notice in now, but she feels like she needs to hang until her 12/20 date.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:59:44 AM EDT
[#26]
After about 10 years in the workforce, I went from 40k to currently at 140k. I’m extremely overqualified and got lucky with a promotion that I thought I could leverage into a career. On paper it works, in real life I have a business degree and am an IT manager who understands about 10% of my day.

It’s not sustainable and the amount of stress, memory loss from stress and impact it has on the rest of my life is dehabilitating. I used to be really good at work, and celebrated constant wins. As the years have gone by all of that success has disappeared, like “magic in a bottle”

Problem is I have become used to a 140k lifestyle. Going to 60k is going to be tough financially, but I think I can keep the house. The peace I feel going back to my original job is extremely comforting.

The biggest thing that causes discomfort is that once this job is over (either I leave or am asked to leave)- this career path is done. Time to start over in something completely different.
View Quote

Yeah all the money you had to live comfortably is going to go away. Unless you have lots of monthly payments or bills it might be okay for you given no information about your situation. Best of luck.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:09:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By NorCalRT:
You assume the stress of less money will be easy. Grass ain't always greener.
View Quote

Grass is always greener over the septic tank.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:41:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Want me to refer you to the nuclear field?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:25:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Back in 1994 I took an approximately 25% pay cut to go to another job.
I hated the company so much, that it took every ounce of energy to get out of the car in the morning, and I couldn't continue living like that.
Once I started my new position, it wasn't work anymore, it was fun.
You know your situation better than we do, OP.  Do what works best for you.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:43:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Talk to a therapist. If they haven't discussed your performance yet, you're doing a decent job.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:46:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Have you thought about becoming a foot doctor... or working at Wendy's? You seem like a real straight shooter.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:47:42 AM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

Could you not works towards improving the depth of your understanding and ability? Why not spend a few grand a year while the cotton is tall, or maybe leverage your company and have them pay as continuing education? It seems to me that, at your current job, unless you actively get in the way you are going to be fine. That said, focus on developing or improving  the skills you know you are short on for the position you have in case you need to change companies.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:59:10 AM EDT
[#33]
OP is like Comrade Dyatlov, buy it's only 1984 and Chernobyl hasn't blown up yet. But it will.....
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:25:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Welcome to management in IT.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:27:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By kenny31:

What about the advice in this thread did you not like?
View Quote

Lack of attention.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:40:42 AM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

If it's inevitable then lose the stress and simply wait for it.  Have a plan and some savings for when it happens THEN go back to the lower paying gig.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:50:44 AM EDT
[#37]
same here. Not quite as much salary, but i am in the same boat. 3 years ago I was a doer, now a manager. I am very good at it. My dept went from 60% efficiency to 95% and that is at 20% more volume. Based on their metrics, the same metrics they had for 20 years.

I do enjoy the work and really like the money. Savings has quadrupled. I am 11 years from retirement. I like the nest egg i am building, but fuck i hate how the company is being run. The execs are running it into the ground. 10 years ago the business produced 300 mil in sales, now 200.

I hate the fucking politics of management. Back stabbing, lying, petty

I have been telling my wife, i am ready for a pay cut and demotion doing something less full of BS. Just load me up with work and let me work. No BS.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:52:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By JVD:
You sound exactly like someone at my job. Everyone already knows, Dave.
View Quote
Daves not here man!
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:52:29 AM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

I said the same thing 4 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:00:06 AM EDT
[#40]
The difference between the CEO and a middle manager is the amount of money attached to their decisions.   At the end of the day management is just making the next best decision.

Many managers and C suit people are in way over their heads.  Stop sweating it and embrace it.  Learn what you can.  Enjoy the 140K.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:00:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By NorCalRT:
You assume the stress of less money will be easy. Grass ain't always greener.
View Quote

I found it gave me more time.

Time with kids, time in the woods, time for life.

Left a sales leadership role after 11 years at a company after a PE buyout - joined a startup .

Make 1/3 less in salary but the potential upside is nice.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:21:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By SuperX925:
Quit stressing and bank the $$$. All managers are incompetent. You are no different.

Make sure the employees that are carrying you are taken care of.
View Quote

THIS.
Stash 50k a year into a brokerage account, after 5 years you have 250k(assuming no dividends in that time). getting 25k extra income a year while working for 70K(50% pay cut), means you are basically back to where you started stashing 50k a year ,  BUT you have stress lessended.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:25:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Soon....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:26:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Welcome to management.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:38:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By AndBen:
Spend a few more years banking that money...develop a plan, then execute when in a good place.
View Quote

This is the real answer.

Through this remember you are on a path and as long as you stick with it then you have no need to stress.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:39:06 AM EDT
[#46]
As an IT manager, if you understand 10% of your day you are a rockstar
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:42:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Live to work or work to live.

2019 I ended my 30+year career in multi-family management. Was making a bit more than you are now. M-F were 12-14 hour days and most Saturdays and Sundays I had to do something.  I was living to work.

Had an epiphany one day. I’m to old for this shit. Took a job in HOA management making $65K. 40 hours a week period. No stress and time to myself.  Now I’m working to live.  Don’t take work home ever.  Hell I’m at work right now.

It can be worth it OP.  Save my mortgage I’m debt free so financially it wasn’t that big of a deal to me.  More than pays for the improvement in the quality of my life.

Just think it through.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:47:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Elijah1:
Quiet quit for now?  Seriously live on $60k a year and bank the rest until the inevitable happens.  You’ll be glad you have the savings.
View Quote

1. Figure out what your net pay would be at 60k after taxes and deductions.  
2. Max out the 401k.
3. Bank the difference between the net pay and the calculated net from step 1.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:55:04 AM EDT
[#49]
How are you overqualified for a job you can only do at 10%?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:57:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Sooooooo, learn your job? Fake it til you make it? Every career requires you to learn as you go. This is no different. The problem is 60K is nothing these days, you will regret it.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top