BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 3:12:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Glad I found this thread.  Picked up a milled Yugo "RPK" (I know the Yugos have their own naming systems, whatever) recently.  I like it.  But its an AK, with all of the usual AK problems.  

But it got me thinking about a similar concept with an AR, watched some of the youtube videos and found this thread.  

Yugo inspiration:

I have a gun I want to part out anyway, so I already have most of the stuff I would need for this.

Thinking about going with a Faxon 20" heavy profile fluted barrel.  I have several other faxon barrels that have done really well for me, and heavy/fluted seems like a good idea for the AR-PK.  

Other thing I'm seriously considering is an adams arms piston conversion kit.  I thought about just using an inconel gas tube, but an adjustable gas piston system that runs cooler might be just the ticket.  

Link Posted: 10/12/2023 3:18:14 PM EDT
[#2]
What’s the preferred club foot stock for support? Vltor??

How are people attaching bipods to the very front of barrels? Just pressure clamp?

How about this muzzle device?
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 5:05:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like Klein Machining has a 24" barrel that otherwise fits the specs of the LSW barrel, close enough at least. Finding a .936 FSB would be the only problem if you're interested in that route.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 7:40:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 8:34:44 PM EDT
[#5]
For those looking for a good bipod, many have used M249 bipods for builds. They are not too expensive and not too hard to find and they are extremely durable compared to the plastic or commercial rifle style bipods.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 8:45:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sgthatred:
For those looking for a good bipod, many have used M249 bipods for builds. They are not too expensive and not too hard to find and they are extremely durable compared to the plastic or commercial rifle style bipods.
View Quote

I've broken more then a couple of them fwiw.

I have a gg&g bipod I swap around to a couple different guns. That thing can take a load.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 10:07:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperStormBryan] [#7]
Originally Posted By Rubles:
Been following this thread with interest and also watching vids on the Red Right Hand LMG upper builds. They're using an aluminum heat sink that surrounds the barrel and a finned , straight gas tube. What do you guys think about this vs. just a heavy barrel and something like an inconel gas tube? Just thinking about how a real RPK doesn't really deviate that much from an AK, maybe keeping an AR-RPK closer in build to an AR is a better approach instead of extra proprietary stuff.  

https://redrighthandllc.com/product/lmg/
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rubles:
Been following this thread with interest and also watching vids on the Red Right Hand LMG upper builds. They're using an aluminum heat sink that surrounds the barrel and a finned , straight gas tube. What do you guys think about this vs. just a heavy barrel and something like an inconel gas tube? Just thinking about how a real RPK doesn't really deviate that much from an AK, maybe keeping an AR-RPK closer in build to an AR is a better approach instead of extra proprietary stuff.  

https://redrighthandllc.com/product/lmg/

I thought those barrel sinks were pretty smart.  More than I think I need but very cool design, looks bomb proof.

I'm just going heavy barrel and I'll end up getting a nitride gas tube for it, like I've got one for the mid length at the top.  I don't think I'll ever really "need" it, but its only $2 more than a standard one, and I've spent $15 on dumber.

Originally Posted By 1168RGR:

One of the binaries uses a sear trip lever to avoid hammer follow. Fostech Echo, I think. I don’t know what the legal status, or future legal status is.

I was thinking about the huge diameter Aero one and a picatinny folding carry handle.

Thanks for the info, I'll look into those!

Originally Posted By 74novaman:
Glad I found this thread.  Picked up a milled Yugo "RPK" (I know the Yugos have their own naming systems, whatever) recently.  I like it.  But its an AK, with all of the usual AK problems.  

But it got me thinking about a similar concept with an AR, watched some of the youtube videos and found this thread.  

Yugo inspiration:
https://i.imgur.com/w6mhfMc.jpg

I have a gun I want to part out anyway, so I already have most of the stuff I would need for this.

Thinking about going with a Faxon 20" heavy profile fluted barrel.  I have several other faxon barrels that have done really well for me, and heavy/fluted seems like a good idea for the AR-PK.  

Other thing I'm seriously considering is an adams arms piston conversion kit.  I thought about just using an inconel gas tube, but an adjustable gas piston system that runs cooler might be just the ticket.  

Nice rifles.

Like I said above, I'm just going to spend the few dollars for a nitride tube.  Based of my previous experience with rifle length gas and an HBAR, I don't think an adjustable gas block is all that necessary.

I'm most certainly not the expert and I'd like to hear one weigh in.

Looks like a bargain for sub $150 after their coupon.

Originally Posted By 03RN:

I've broken more then a couple of them fwiw.

I have a gg&g bipod I swap around to a couple different guns. That thing can take a load.

That'll be my next bipod.  I'm curious which particular model you've got, and would you have got a different model if you could do it again?
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 10:11:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SuperStormBryan:
Based of my previous experience with rifle length gas and an HBAR, I don't think an adjustable gas block is all that necessary.
View Quote

A rifle length gas system and a rifle buffer set up is an absolute joy to shoot as is, no arguments.  

The suppressor I'm most likely to use on this gun is a pretty restrictive high back pressure can (which is impressive considering how not quiet it is, but I digress).  

Because I'd like for this to be suppressible, adjustable gas is a priority for me.  It wouldn't be a concern otherwise.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 10:15:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 74novaman:

A rifle length gas system and a rifle buffer set up is an absolute joy to shoot as is, no arguments.  

The suppressor I'm most likely to use on this gun is a pretty restrictive high back pressure can (which is impressive considering how not quiet it is, but I digress).  

Because I'd like for this to be suppressible, adjustable gas is a priority for me.  It wouldn't be a concern otherwise.  
View Quote

That makes a whole lot of sense.

Filing that away for the day I get a suppressor.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 11:43:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:
This thread makes me want a HBAR 20” and a few more d60s

Two things:
What’s the idea on a handguard? 13-15” free float? Something strong like a Larue?

What optic? Maybe a 3x primary Arms prism?
View Quote

For a Free-Float I was thinking something like this might get some more air between the barrel and handguard.
Luth-AR Widebody

I'm also looking at a PA SLx prism optic.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 11:47:57 AM EDT
[#11]

What’s the details on the carry handle?
@dex223
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dex223:

/\ This is the way.

But:  1.  I do like the idea of a 2-position bipod.(forward and mid mount)
       2.  I can't justify the use of a drum for other than range/fun use. (bulk/weight/capacity/cost vs 6-7 30-rd mags)

This is something I'm working on.  Still have barrel work to do.
https://i.imgur.com/enHGs1K.jpg

What’s the details on the carry handle?
@dex223

It's just a cheap imported rail mount I found on eBay.  I am changing the plastic from a finger-groove type to the fat cylinder.  It also had a lot of slop in the parts, so I added a pin, washer and shim to tighten it up.
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 1:52:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I've been tossing this idea around since I saw Brentwhatever's first video about the Klein setup.  

My parts list (in no particular order, just as I type) has basically come down to a heavy, fluted 20" barrels (I think 20" is about the sweet spot for performance and portability vs wt and balance over a longer barrel, say 24", especially if you may put a can on the end).  A lightweight, rifle length handguard since it's going to be more open for better cooling and possibly mounting M-Lok style bipod arms although I like the lightweight RPK style too (I'd want to try both and see what I liked best).  Whatever muzzle device works with your suppressor, otherwise I'd probably go with a linear comp or even simple A2 or Smith.  An ACOG or even a 3x prism would sit on top.  I want a binary trigger but don't know enough about them to say which.  Probably one of the Daniel Defense buttstocks that would allow you to get your offhand pulling it into your shoulder; adjustable so you could go shorter while prone or extended otherwise.  A dual charging upper.  A padded Vicker's sling.  The D60s are crazy expensive for the extra rounds (and if you're having to use this in minecraft it's not like you're going to be able to just order more of them) but one in the gun and a second in your pack if traveling (maybe there are some good pouches and a way to carry them that still allows you to go prone but I really haven't looked and carrying steel RPK drums sucks).  Add as many as you can afford for static positions or if using the gun on say a technical style vehicle*.  Magpul forties if I could find some pouches I liked and depending on how they did with the bipod height, otherwise thirties.  

*There are a handful of pictures out there where brackets were fabricated to hold RPKs for use on aerial platforms (the ones I recall were used in helocopters; I want to say there's a thread on them on akfiles?) as well as pintle mounts for other mounting options.  They had clamps that went around the handguard but it'd be easier to make up something with an actual rail system on the gun.
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 6:44:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: walldj45] [#13]
Here's my take on it.

Attachment Attached File

Inspired by jaqufrost a couple years ago, just barely took it out because of this thread and finished it up.  

18" CHF FN heavy barrel
PSA rail that allows a lot of air flow
Gibbz Arms side charging upper (uses proprietary cam pin)
Magpul bipod and adm mount.  
Turbo K
Binary trigger
D60 and an esstac bag full of magpul 40s.
Blue force or vtac padded sling.  

Just need a permanent optic and then I'll paint it.  Don't feel like putting my acog on this and I like the magnification otherwise I'd put an aimpoint on it.  Hmmm.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 9:25:25 PM EDT
[#14]
The Vortex 5x that PSA is blowing out could be a cool option
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 2:28:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperStormBryan] [#15]
View All Quotes

Yeah, that'd probably be a solid budget one.  Saw video of those in the Ukraine war.

I can't remember, but someone makes a rearward swept T-1 mount that'd fit the Vortex, it's QD and can go over a folding rear iron.  I'd really like something like that to pair with it.  The spindly mount it comes will would go straight into the trash.

I was going to put my build together this weekend, but I got super side track when this dude showed up.

Me and the boys just finished the build tonight.  I'll post some photos tomorrow.

ETA:  Maybe the mount I'm think of was for an ACOG.

Originally Posted By walldj45:
Here's my take on it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/257939/20231014_182957_jpg-2991773.JPG

Inspired by jaqufrost a couple years ago, just barely took it out because of this thread and finished it up.  

18" CHF FN heavy barrel
PSA rail that allows a lot of air flow
Gibbz Arms side charging upper (uses proprietary cam pin)
Magpul bipod and adm mount.  
Turbo K
Binary trigger
D60 and an esstac bag full of magpul 40s.
Blue force or vtac padded sling.  

Just need a permanent optic and then I'll paint it.  Don't feel like putting my acog on this and I like the magnification otherwise I'd put an aimpoint on it.  Hmmm.

Awesome rifle.  I like the look of those Esstac mag bags, might have to pick one up.  I'd love a magazine bandolier that keeps mag perpendicular to the body and has a divider ever couple mags, to keep thing from just slopping around after a few mags are removed.

What kind of binary trigger did you go with?  Any thing you'd do different?
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 8:54:20 AM EDT
[#16]

Yeah, that'd probably be a solid budget one.  Saw video of those in the Ukraine war.

I can't remember, but someone makes a rearward swept T-1 mount that'd fit the Vortex, it's QD and can go over a folding rear iron.  I'd really like something like that to pair with it.  The spindly mount it comes will would go straight into the trash.

I was going to put my build together this weekend, but I got super side track when this dude showed up.

https://i.imgur.com/g5dk5EDh.jpg

Me and the boys just finished the build tonight.  I'll post some photos tomorrow.

ETA:  Maybe the mount I'm think of was for an ACOG.

Awesome rifle.  I like the look of those Esstac mag bags, might have to pick one up.  I'd love a magazine bandolier that keeps mag perpendicular to the body and has a divider ever couple mags, to keep thing from just slopping around after a few mags are removed.

What kind of binary trigger did you go with?  Any thing you'd do different?
View Quote

Currently has a Franklin Armory, if FRT triggers are sold again I'll get one of those.  

Debating putting a slightly shorter rail on it so I can have an adjustable gas block and reach it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 10:54:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperStormBryan] [#17]
Alright, here's what I ended up with, for the moment.

Notable parts.

- Del-Ton chrome lined 20" HBAR

- Crosstac picatinny bayonet mount rail

- Magpul bipod / Midwest Ind mount, what I have on hand, sold another rifle off of it.

I'm going to see if I can escape this new baby for a few hours this week and put some rounds down range before spending any more money on this build.

Sorry for the potato pics, busy days.

I think I'll let that Romeo5 live on the old one, Combat_Diver seems to really know his stuff, and I'm going to give this a few trips out to see how I like it.

This 20" HBAR makes the, still very stout, 16" medium profile seem handy.

Also, decided to try out the Magpul K2 XL, extra chunky grip.  It's actually a really nice profile, great trigger reach compared to all my other grips, came with the little oil bottle too, something I wanted to call out.

Link Posted: 10/16/2023 11:59:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bradpierson26] [#18]
Someone needs to do this with a 20” aero M5 308 build

https://i.imgur.com/g5dk5EDh.jpg
View Quote

Congrats bud!
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 1:41:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Someone needs to do this with a 20” aero M5 308 build

Congrats bud!
View Quote

Thank you!

I want to see someone go full crooked circle and do one in 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 12:40:12 PM EDT
[#20]
This does give an item of what to do with my A2 stocked and 20 inch Armalite CL Med/Heavy build. Already has an A2 FSB and Magpul MBUS rear sights, Magpul rifle length hand guard and Moe grip. Al it needs is fore grip and solid mount for Bipod. I could throw the Nikon 3x9 mounted in a Burris PEPR mount for optics and have a DMR/Support system.

On the ultra heavy side I have Sig 556 DMR with extra heavy barrel, Harris bipod that are standard out of the box and running a Burris 1.5x6x42 MTAC FFP/Illuminated scope. It the heaviest firearm I own.

Mags wise I'll stick to 30rd PMAGS. For the cost and space of a drum I can have 5 to 6 of them and if one craps out I have backups. The AR-10 setup sound promising too. With that you can have some knock down power.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 3:27:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Temporary lower.  

Handguard should be here tomorrow.

20” faxon heavy fluted barrel, adams arms rifle length piston conversion kit.

Making progress.

Link Posted: 10/19/2023 7:52:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks like a start.  I've never seen an RPK and AR side by side.  The AR looks pretty svelte compared to it, even after the mental image of handguards.  I dig the piston setup.

Any idea of what the RPK weighs in at?
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 9:12:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Stateside RPK | 20" Select Fire AR15 Build
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 10:23:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: akrox] [#24]
This has been mocked up for a bit as a concept, but this thread just might make me commit... It's completely a spare parts bin build, and the idea was the ban era Bushmaster 20" HB 1-9 could lay down some M193 suppressive fire if needed. That ELCAN is thicc and it might even be a prototype based on the SN?

Link Posted: 10/19/2023 11:03:01 PM EDT
[#25]
I've never seen an Elcan with internal adjustment. What markings does it have and what magnification?
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 11:22:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By akrox:
This has been mocked up for a bit as a concept, but this thread just might make me commit... It's completely a spare parts bin build, and the idea was the ban era Bushmaster 20" HB 1-9 could lay down some M193 suppressive fire if needed. That ELCAN is thicc and it might even be a prototype based on the SN?

https://i.imgur.com/3y1c03U.jpg
View Quote

That's how you know its sturdy.

Your spare parts bin is way better than mine.

All these old school HBARs look way heavier than today's HBARs.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 11:25:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
I've never seen an Elcan with internal adjustment. What markings does it have and what magnification?
View Quote

ATOS1.0A

I think it was marketed as the Specter 1.0 OS? Something like that… it was probably a competitor Aimpoint for the .mil contract. Single 123 battery, NV compatible, heavy. They made a magnified version in the same housing. Like   an ACOG
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 12:31:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By akrox:
ATOS1.0A

I think it was marketed as the Specter 1.0 OS? Something like that  it was probably a competitor Aimpoint for the .mil contract. Single 123 battery, NV compatible, heavy. They made a magnified version in the same housing. Like   an ACOG
View Quote
Huh. How about that. The OG hitmarker reticle.

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/elcan-specter-os-3-0-combat-optical-sight.100953/  
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 9:11:30 AM EDT
[#29]

Any idea of what the RPK weighs in at?
View Quote

I’ll put it on a scale this weekend.  Its a chonk.

Milled receiver, thick barrel.  The Romanian stamped guns have longer thinner barrels and stamped receivers and weigh slightly less than mine.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 10:52:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SiVisPacem] [#30]
My take on a civilian light support weapon:

nonreciprocating, side-charging upper
16" mid-length barrel
flash can
MLOK handguard
MagPul MLOK bipod
HK diopter sights
D-60's
Forced Reset Trigger

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 12:20:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By SiVisPacem:
My take on a civilian light support weapon:

nonreciprocating, side-charging upper
16" mid-length barrel
flash can
MLOK handguard
MagPul MLOK bipod
HK diopter sights
D-60's
Forced Reset Trigger

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/242045/20231020_094428_jpg-2998016.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/242045/20231020_094533_jpg-2998017.JPG
View Quote

Nice.  I think you're the second or third side charger posted.  I think side chargers make a lot of sense in for this.

I thought about a flash can, warcomp, or the Witt Machine one, I just don't know a ton about them.

Link Posted: 10/21/2023 9:28:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Here's another video. I haven't watched this one yet so I can't say if there's anything worthwhile in it
AR-RPK= Klein Machining's Support Fire Upper
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 10:00:38 AM EDT
[#33]
So I ordered a metal Hoffman super safety. I'll let you guys know how it works outside youtube videos.
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 9:38:41 PM EDT
[#34]
So the Klein Machining uppers have a 24" full bull bbl but have the bipod installed at the end of the bbl, providing support.  They sell stand alone 24" bull bbls.  Assuming the front of the gun was being supported by a bipod attached to a freefloat handguard, meaning the bbl would be an unsupported freefloat 24" bull bbl, do you thnk that would be too much pressure on the upper receiver?
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 11:03:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Nameless_Hobo:
So I ordered a metal Hoffman super safety. I'll let you guys know how it works outside youtube videos.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Nameless_Hobo:

I'm interested in the range report on that.  I'm not a cross bar safety fan, but still very interesting.

Originally Posted By The_Five_Elements:
So the Klein Machining uppers have a 24" full bull bbl but have the bipod installed at the end of the bbl, providing support.  They sell stand alone 24" bull bbls.  Assuming the front of the gun was being supported by a bipod attached to a freefloat handguard, meaning the bbl would be an unsupported freefloat 24" bull bbl, do you thnk that would be too much pressure on the upper receiver?

Its only 1.25 pounds heavier than a 20" HBAR with FSB, so I doubt there's going to be an issue.

Also, regular profile barrels withstand the force of bayonet fighting, and that probably more than 4.5 pounds of pressure.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 12:22:24 AM EDT
[#36]

I'm interested in the range report on that.  I'm not a cross bar safety fan, but still very interesting.

Its only 1.25 pounds heavier than a 20" HBAR with FSB, so I doubt there's going to be an issue.

Also, regular profile barrels withstand the force of bayonet fighting, and that probably more than 4.5 pounds of pressure.
View Quote

Good point....
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 1:05:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By The_Five_Elements:
View Quote
Nah.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/24/2023 7:18:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperStormBryan] [#38]
Update to my build.  Got a an opening to run to the local indoor range, MIL was over, didn't piss off my wife, that new baby was asleep, the other kids were being good, and I ran for it.

Decided I'd put my Viper PST 2 on it.  I didn't like having on the previous rifle, too heavy and chonky for the 14.5" barrel, and it'll work out better on this one.  Got a profile zeroed in on the Bering Hogster, love that thermal.  Actually spent most of my time function checking another rifle I put a extra power buffer spring in, and sighting in three different systems on this one.

For what its worth to anyone else thinking about a Delton 20", chrome lined, 1 in 9, HBAR, I was getting 1.8 MOA with XM193, at best, rest were around 2.5.  That's at 100 yards at 6x, might tighten up next time if I relax my pace.

Another photo of the Crosstac bayonet rail mount.  I had a sling using paraclips, that I wasn't using, and it worked out great here.  I'm trying to avoid push button QD slings these days, or really any QD sling, but specifically push button.  This'll work.

Didn't time it indoors, but I'm ball parking 2-3 rounds a second.  A couple mags between the two.  My kids love my hasty drawn targets when I get home.

At 50 yards:

At 75 yards:

This is just using my normal default budget PSA EPT trigger with JP 4.5 pound springs.

I know is no big deal to some of ya'll, but its my first time shooting for speed at anything past a 10 yard target on the dirt berm.  I've definitely got a bad training scar from dry firing, and I knew that going into it.  I've really got to focus on getting off the trigger during recoil on the bench, something I've never had an issue with shooting pistols.  In addition to that, I've got to focus on loading the bipod to stay on target.

The Delton 20" chrome lined HBAR upper performed great.  Two mags in five minutes on my aluminum railed guns would have been crazy FU hot, but it was just pretty warm on these handguards.  Very pleased I went this direction.  Not super stoked with the optic situation, but it'll work.

Kind of realized I'm a bubba in the woods, but I'm excited to get better.

Thanks for the input earlier!
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 8:08:18 PM EDT
[#39]
With the scope mount on riser, are you using your left hand as a cheek spot weld?
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 9:23:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Hi everyone.  I recently finished up my turbo budget effort of putting together an AR-RPK, and rattle canning it, and I'd like to see some other ideas or get some thoughts on the concept.

I figure an AR-RPK is the most practical LARP, SHTF, Doomer, Zero Hedge aficionado type rifle.  Its supposed to shoot a higher volume of rounds, its meant to shoot of a bipod, its got some magnification, mine does anyway, its not meant for door kicking or slicing the pie.  It sounds great for being in one place and holding what you got.

My build:

- Poverty Pony lower
- Del-Ton mid-length medium profile 16" upper, with a melonite gas tube, this upper has shot really well for me considering the $300 I paid for it
- YHM 0.5" riser rail
- PA 5x prism on a LaRue mount, traded a guy 12 ounce of silver for it, then put it on a KRAM spacer
- Rear folding iron is that company from the Holy Land, I forget the name, surprisingly inexpensive
- 2x Pmags, the only linked magazines I own
- Surefire G2X with Lumens Factor tailcap, in a IWC mount
- Del-Ton LPK?  Maybe a NBS LPK from AR15 Discounts?  I did some "trigger work" and its very nice while still being reliable
- Magpul stuff, STR, K2 grip, handguard, bad lever, I actually started coming around to these a few years later for a couple different rifles
- Midwest Ind 9 slot pic rail on handguards, gets far enough back that I can put a QD vertical grip on there if I wanted to I guess
- Versa-Pod bipod, I like somethings about it and hate others.  IDK, I'm not the bipod expert, but I did want something QD and its was half off the normal price

The ammo bag:
- Just a dyed UPC 200 round saw pouch with a 2Q canteen strap spray painted green
- Carries 7 Pmags
- Ideally carried by whoever I can press into service with the promise of adventure

https://i.imgur.com/ZaJZ8xmh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/k6e80jXh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/RJGkCMCh.jpg

And since night is half the day:

- Bering Hogster R-35
- My assistant's AGM-256

https://i.imgur.com/qavwof6h.jpg

I'm really interested in anyone else's builds or thoughts on the topic.  I'm pondering picking up a 20" chrome lined heavy barrel for a second one and dumbing this one down, lightening it up, some.

I've seen the Klein uppers.  Those are really nice, but a little on the gigantic side.
View Quote

-Go with a heavy barrel.  HB chrome-lined uppers are still easy to find.  Stick with 16” as it saves weight and does everything you need to do.
-Get a free-float quad rail.
-Consider doing this for your sights:  either no irons or offset irons.  Drop the Kram riser so the 5x is lower, and mount a decent red dot on top.
-foregrip of your taste.
-Try to wean yourself off Zerohedge. I did it, so it can be done.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 9:56:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperStormBryan] [#41]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
With the scope mount on riser, are you using your left hand as a cheek spot weld?
View Quote

Nope.  Its only a 0.5" riser.  On that GG&G mount, it brings it to 1.96".  I'm already a tall dude, and I wear specs and I like to not be so face down on the gun and I can see more out ahead of me, top of spec cuts my vision in half.  It works out really well.  All my rifles have 0.5" risers.

Not as tall as it looks in that photo.  Zero issue getting on or staying behind the sight.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 10:03:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperStormBryan] [#42]
Originally Posted By Capta:

-Go with a heavy barrel.  HB chrome-lined uppers are still easy to find.  Stick with 16” as it saves weight and does everything you need to do.Already got the 20" HBAR CL.  I like it a lot.  I'll have to grab some calipers, but the Delton medium profile is so close to HBAR.
-Get a free-float quad rail.The Magpul handguards seem to be what the doctor ordered.  If I ever decide to ditch that current 16" and do another, I'll give FF a go.
-Consider doing this for your sights:  either no irons or offset irons.  Drop the Kram riser so the 5x is lower, and mount a decent red dot on top.I've always been a fan of taller sights.  I'd just do no irons before offset on this.  I mocked up a dot on top, with no riser, way to tall.
The kram spacer gets it further back which is more important to me.

-foregrip of your taste.Got that.  Tool-less removal as well, in case I ever shoot off a bag.
-Try to wean yourself off Zerohedge. I did it, so it can be done.Its either infowars or zerohedge, I chose the lesser of two goofies.  I take financial advise from neither.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/24/2023 11:02:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bradpierson26] [#43]
How is the Klein barrel machined for the bipod?
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 11:05:36 PM EDT
[#44]
How is the Klein upper machined for the bipod?
View Quote

Brent0331 review of the AR-RPK by Klein Machining

@1:40
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 11:08:47 PM EDT
[#45]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXT-Lq63wNA

View All Quotes
How is the Klein upper machined for the bipod?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXT-Lq63wNA

Wow so they really are that simple - just free rotating huh?
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 11:22:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperStormBryan] [#46]

Wow so they really are that simple - just free rotating huh?
View Quote

I'm speaking from a nonexpert position, but apparently the handguard keeps the the RPK bipod oriented when stowed.  Looking for @74novaman to tell us.

There's another video in this thread with a Klein AR-RPK that has an M-60 bipod that looks tilt limited, and looks like it has an extra gizmo to act as a stop.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 10:12:19 AM EDT
[#47]

I'm speaking from a nonexpert position, but apparently the handguard keeps the the RPK bipod oriented when stowed.  Looking for @74novaman to tell us.

There's another video in this thread with a Klein AR-RPK that has an M-60 bipod that looks tilt limited, and looks like it has an extra gizmo to act as a stop.
View Quote

Yeah, saw that video, I’m curious about that gizmo and if it’s necessary or you can get 90% of the way there by just turning the barrel down before the muzzle threads like that
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 1:50:58 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

Acktually….

Not an expert by any means, but the RPK bipod is on a collar, and rotation is limited because the front sight and collar are milled with stops.  Actual rotation on a commie RPK is pretty limited.

I think Klein also machines stops into the barrel, collar, something to limit rotation but I dont have one so have no idea how much they rotate.  

This stream indicated they machine them to limit rotation, anyway: https://www.youtube.com/live/9PFiXQmAbW0?si=BYgvqlDCylCBAW8g

Link Posted: 10/25/2023 1:54:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Also weighed my Yugo.  Keep in mind this is the early milled receiver Yugo.  Later M72s used stamped receivers which are lighter, and romanian/russian/others used both a stamped receiver and a lighther profile barrel than the Yugos so mine is basically as chonky as a commie RPK can be.

With those caveats out of the way….

10 lbs, 13.5 oz.

And thats unloaded.  She thicc.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 2:44:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Probably not final form, but my AR RPK as it sits right now:

Lower stolen from A4gery.  

Upper details:
20” heavy fluted Faxon barrel
Adams Arms piston kit
Adams Arms Piston BCG
Samson Evo rail
Magpul Bipod
Rugged Micro30
Primary Arms 5x prism

Going piston drove a lot of the decisions here.  Adams arms kit works best with gi spec or similar barre nuts, so I had to find a FF tube that also fit a GI nut.  The Samson evo rail had a cut to reach the adjustable piston, and uses a thermal bushing to mate to the barrel nut so should keep the handguard cooler when doing RPK stuff.

Threw a set of BUIS on to get a apples to apples weight comparison.

Yugo M72 milled RPK: 10 lbs, 13.5 oz
AR-RPK: 8 lbs, 5.5 oz with irons, 10 lbs, 5.2 oz with PA 5x and suppressor
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top