Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/14/2016 8:31:40 AM EDT
Is there a good way to mount a flashlight on an AK with wooden handguards?  I am using Magpul handguards now so I can use one of their M-Lok mounts for my flashlight.  I really like the look of the laminated wood sets from Atlantic.  But I can't give up my flashlight.  Any tips to mount a light so it doesn't look like I duct-taped it on?
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 8:41:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I was going to suggest duct tape....

Seriously, can't think of any good way to do this.

When you use wood for the AK you are going traditional/old school and it was never designed to take accessories.

Want to have a world of options open up? Railed forends, etc. is the only way to go.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 8:45:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, I've seen the RS mount that bolts on the barrel...  http://www.primaryarms.com/bm1/p/bm1/

But that looks like it would get my flashlight too hot from heat transfer and would possibly affect accuracy (barrel harmonics, etc.).  Maybe not on the accuracy thing, though, because it's behind the gas block?  I've never seen a pic of anyone using it on their AK here before.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 8:48:44 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well, I've seen the RS mount that bolts on the barrel...  http://www.primaryarms.com/bm1/p/bm1/

But that looks like it would get my flashlight too hot from heat transfer and would possibly affect accuracy (barrel harmonics, etc.).  Maybe not on the accuracy thing, though, because it's behind the gas block?  I've never seen a pic of anyone using it on their AK here before.
View Quote
do you regularly shoot in the dark that a concern is warranted?

Link Posted: 8/14/2016 8:59:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I wish this site had a like button.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 10:26:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I have the RS mount and have not experienced any change in accuracy with the the mount on or any issues the heat transfer. I run a TLR1 on it. It's a little pricey but a nice piece of kit. Highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 11:49:31 AM EDT
[#6]
The RS barrel mount works great, the light gets hot but if you are using a good brand it does not cause issues. I ran 200-300 rounds down the tube while doing a night training with some buddies and the light was hot as shit but kept on keeping on... It was a sure fire mini scout... My buddy runs the traditional wood hand guard and did the rail mount like in RECOIL magazines last ak issue were he ran screws threw the slots and a rail with a Haley thorn tail and it works great... " oh man I can feel the hate about to be unleashed on me I said Haley and RECOIL haha glad this isn't GD haha" anyways I'll see if I can snap some pics for you of my buddies set up.... Hope that helps OP you have a few options forsure I am like you I picked up a beautiful ak from a member on here and want to keep it classic but dammit.. Need a light it is just a must have...
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 11:56:51 AM EDT
[#7]
RS mount and your cleaning rod will still fit

Off brand mount 3 rail

And I just took a pic of the magazine of the light mod

Hope that helps op post pics when you get your lady hooked up

Link Posted: 8/14/2016 12:41:28 PM EDT
[#8]
RS makes it easy.

Link Posted: 8/14/2016 1:29:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Mossberg makes clamps for their dual barrel shotgun kits that is just about perfect for clamping a light onto almost any gun...and it even seems to be parkerized!

Link Posted: 8/14/2016 3:43:14 PM EDT
[#10]
BM-1 on the SGL31

Z
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 5:13:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Honestly I'd just get the RS clamp-on. It's the same basic idea that the clamp on my old Surefire 660C uses, and that thing works on just about anything I feel like clamping it onto, even the Mossberg.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 6:43:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 6:02:53 PM EDT
[#13]
That MK65 looks really interesting.  I will look into it more.

Awesome info.  Thanks to everyone!  

Link Posted: 8/17/2016 6:30:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Honestly I'd just get the RS clamp-on. It's the same basic idea that the clamp on my old Surefire 660C uses, and that thing works on just about anything I feel like clamping it onto, even the Mossberg.
View Quote

I bought one because of this thread. Got it installed today & it looks great with my X300.  Heat test will be over the weekend.  Places it within easy reach, doesn't cast much barrel shadow, & is still small enough to not get in the way.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 2:07:29 PM EDT
[#15]

I ran this setup a few years back.  The RS mount is definitely my preference.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 2:12:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

And I just took a pic of the magazine of the light mod

<a href="http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/sparks556/media/59355CD1-8F3E-425D-A288-4DBE756AC132_zpslsliozmj.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag145/sparks556/59355CD1-8F3E-425D-A288-4DBE756AC132_zpslsliozmj.jpg</a>

Hope that helps op post pics when you get your lady hooked up

View Quote

That's a fantastic idea!

Link Posted: 8/18/2016 4:00:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you not want to be able to see what you are shooting at 50% of the time?
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 5:02:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

im talking about the amount of shooting required to ruin his flashlight or screw up his accuracy.

Link Posted: 8/18/2016 8:33:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he was alluding to the fact that 95% of us will never need to shoot, for real, in dark situations.

Although I guess one should still train for that scenario so I guess it is a warranted concern.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 8:55:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I think he was alluding to the fact that 95% of us will never need to shoot, for real, in dark situations.

Although I guess one should still train for that scenario so I guess it is a warranted concern.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

98% of us will never need to shoot, in general. Doesn't mean we shouldn't be prepared.

OP, If I were you I'd go with Echo's offering, or use one of impact weapons components many offerings and use screws to attach.

I have an RS barrel clamp mount, but I would recommend against them unless it's your only option. It is very good quality, but anything added to the barrel should be avoided.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 8:58:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

What kind of flashlight will you be using?

I have a surefire millennium on an RS and never had problems. You will need to loctite every single screw on the flash/mount as barrel mounting causes a lot of vibration.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 9:05:46 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
98% of us will never need to shoot, in general. Doesn't mean we shouldn't be prepared.

OP, If I were you I'd go with Echo's offering, or use one of impact weapons components many offerings and use screws to attach.

I have an RS barrel clamp mount, but I would recommend against them unless it's your only option. It is very good quality, but anything added to the barrel should be avoided.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I explained myself pretty clearly, Junior.

Link Posted: 8/18/2016 9:11:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's cool, I wasn't replying to you.

Link Posted: 8/18/2016 11:22:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 8:10:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What kind of flashlight will you be using?
View Quote

I have a Streamlight Polytac LED HP on an FAB Defense plastic mount - whole thing is plastic.  That's why I am worried about heat from the RS clamp.  I'd prefer not to have it attached directly to metal that's contacting anything really hot (like the barrel).  Right now, I am trying to dig up an old MOE rail I have somewhere - going to do that mod from the magazine article and see how well it stays put.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 8:33:34 AM EDT
[#26]
I put an el cheapo barrel clamp on my Draco pistol for a Streamlight light/laser combo. The RS Regulate side mount is a clean install but wanted to mount my laser vertical to my bore. I've shot my Draco with & without this setup and have not noticed any change in group size out to 50 yards. Maybe a 16" barrel will react differently but I've had no issues. I've not heard of anyone running the RS Regulate side mount experiencing any noticeable accuracy issues either.

The MOE rail mount between the wood handguards is a pretty slick idea, probably cheap too. Anyone have a source for these? Keeping your light close to your grip point would seem to make operation easier if you don't have a remote pressure switch.

Heat has never been an issue with my TLR-4 although I don't do mag dumps either. The clamp will get hot but a year's use hasn't caused any problems. I've noticed that the light itself will generate more heat thru extended use than from induction from the barrel mount.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top