Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2014 9:58:08 PM EDT
Ok, so on my other Walther PPK post, you guys help me decide to keep mine for a CCW.  So what is the best inside the belt holster for a Walther PPK?  Mine is an older generation from around the early 90's stainless.  If you have pictures, even better.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 10:42:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll carry a PPK/S in a pocket holster as a back up, but when I carry it as a primary I use a Wild Bills Concealment Covert Carry IWB holster.  The same holster works fine with the PPK and the PP, although I think they make a specific holster for each.

Covert Carry

The aft mounted clip helps hold the butt in close you your body, makes the holster slightly thinner over all, and spreads the load and pressure over larger surface area improving comfort.

They are well made and hold up very well over time with heavy weight leather and sticking with a double thickness mouth with a plastic insert between the two layers of leather.

The neutral finish is also slightly porous so with a coat of shoe polish of your chosen color you can make them pretty much any color you want in about 10 minutes.

I've used one for daily carry with a Kimber Ultra Carry for 6 years now and while there is some darkening from sweat on the body side of the holster, it's held up extremely well, still retinas the pistol well, and still stays open in the waistband if you draw the pistol, so it can be re-holstered without removing the holster from your waist band.

Holster for PPK/S:

Six year old Holster for Ultra Carry:

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 11:12:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice.  Question.  On Kydex holsters, there is a click when the pistol is holstered and it provides some locking to hold it in place.  On these leather holsters, how well does the holster retain the pistol?  If you ran an obsticle course jumping over things, crawling through tubes and running about...do a back flip...would the pistol slide out?  Or at minimum, stand up and sit down a lot?
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 8:49:48 AM EDT
[#3]
The security of a leather holder depends in part on how well it is blocked to fit the weapon and in part on the thickness and quality of the leather used.

I've had very good results with the Wild Bills Concealment Covert Carry holsters.   Here is the same 6 year old holster holding the much heaver Kimber Ultra Carry, which does not fall out even inverted.

When you insert the holster inside your waistband the tension of the belt around the holster and the friction of the pistol against your body makes it even less likely to move.  I've never had a pistol move in a holster, let alone start to come out of one in my six years of using the Covert Carry.

The belt clip on the holster is also quite aggressive with a tab on the bottom that locks under the bottom edge of the belt and as long as it is full seated and engaged on the belt, it will not ride up over the belt in use.   I had one clip fail after about 5 years of daily use (it lost spring tension) and WBC replaced it with a new clip riveted to the holster for free in about a weeks time door to door.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 9:35:37 PM EDT
[#4]
The Wild Bill hoster looks like a great IWB holster.  I'm considering 3 models.

http://www.wildbillsconcealment.com/wildbill/shop/item.aspx?itemid=3019
http://www.bianchi-intl.com/model-100-professional-inside-waistband-holster
http://www.falcoholsters.com/eshop/gun-holsters/iwb-concealment-holsters/leather-holsters/236-iwb-concealment-gun-holster-with-open-muzzle-it-92.html

I do like how the Bianchi model 100 has the leather part that goes all the way up along the gun...without it, I would be tempted to wear an undershirt between me and the gun.    But I do prefer Wild Bills clip location to hug it closer to the body for a tucked shirt.  Both Wild Bill and Bianchi look like nice holsters.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 9:37:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice.  Question.  On Kydex holsters, there is a click when the pistol is holstered and it provides some locking to hold it in place.
View Quote
I've never been a Kydex fan.  In addition to comfort issues, one thing to consider is that if a holster has a push button release activated by your trigger finger, it puts your finger in position to accidentally enter the trigger guard during the draw.  Under stress in an actual social shooting situation that can leave you at risk of an AD during the draw as your finger finds it's way to the trigger before you intend for that to happen.

It's not an issue with proper training and lots of practice to instill excellent trigger discipline, but that's often not the case with many people who carry a concealed handgun.

For those folks, I don't recommend a holster with a release other than a thumb snap type holster.

That is of course another option if you are really concerned with the pistol staying put.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 4:02:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Remora for my PPS, works really well and it's cheap!
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 3:07:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Look at the DeSantis Sof n Tuck holster.  You can blouse your shirt over the pistol and only a small hook is visible under your belt.  Very concealable IWB holster plus it is reinforced  so you can re-holster.   Not very expensive either.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 10:50:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I started carrying a PPK/S with one and it did not work so well for me.  The design means the under the belt hook just keeps the holster from coming out when you draw the pistol.  When you're carrying it however the weight of the pistol rides on your pants and is held in place mostly by belt pressure.  It's not nearly as comfortable as a tuck able design like the WBC Covert Carry where the clip puts the weight of the pistol on the gun belt - where it is much better distributed, and where security is not dependent on the belt being tight.  IMHO it's well worth any extra $20-$30.

And practically speaking, people who are not aware of what to look for won't notice the clip on the outside of the belt, and those who do know what to look for will still spot the hook under the belt anyway, so you really gain nothing with the hook design.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top