Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2016 2:10:21 AM EDT
Looking for something with a fair bit of forward cant, would prefer kydex (I live in FL and go kayaking).
Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 9:46:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I use a Crossbreed Appendix holster for my J-Frames. It is extremely comfortable. I have found 2 issues I have with the holster, however. First, when I sit for extended periods of time in the car (2+ hours) I notice that it starts hurting a bit. I haven't had this same problem when sitting at a table/couch. The other issue with this holster I have is when I am doing a lot of bending, squatting, etc, it can become uncomfortable.

In your situation I would suggest it for daily carry, however if you're in a kayak for extended periods of time, I might suggest a pocket holster.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 9:05:17 PM EDT
[#2]
It's not kydex - because after 29 years of concealed carry in a wide variety of holsters, I really hate the stuff, but I recommend the Wild BillS Concealment Covert Carry for all day use.  It's very comfortable, very secure, and well made.  

You can cant it forward a fair bit - the major limitation is related to getting the front sight caught under your belt, but it's a non issue if you have a Model 60, 36, etc  with a gutter sight rather than adjustable sights.

I've used the same holster cut for a 2.125" barrel as well and on the shorter fixed sight Model 36s and 60s canting it is not a problem.    

Unlike the poster above, I have not found this holster to ever be uncomfortable whether sitting, standing, walking, driving, etc. even with the 3" barrel.

Leather is old tech but it works and works well.

----

If you're kayaking I would still go with a leather holster, provided you have the belt to support it.  If not, then I'd use a fanny pack like the one sold by 5.11.  

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 9:12:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's not kydex - because after 29 years of concealed carry in a wide variety of holsters, I really hate the stuff, but I recommend the Wild BillS Concealment Covert Carry for all day use.  It's very comfortable, very secure, and well made.  

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h470/SDBB57/0B1B1919-B620-4254-AC0F-D0DC5969BF35_zpsl5aojlh4.jpg
http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h470/SDBB57/AFCE9225-FFFF-4B81-B35E-606FD1D2661F_zpsz1dxgbz2.jpg

You can cant it forward a fair bit - the major limitation is related to getting the front sight caught under your belt, but it's a non issue if you have a Model 60, 36, etc  with a gutter sight rather than adjustable sights.

I've used the same holster cut for a 2.125" barrel as well and on the shorter fixed sight Model 36s and 60s canting it is not a problem.    

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h470/SDBB57/550DC35E-B381-438B-B26D-17281A7F9677_zpsyxockpmm.jpg

Unlike the poster above, I have not found this holster to ever be uncomfortable whether sitting, standing, walking, driving, etc. even with the 3" barrel.

Leather is old tech but it works and works well.

----

If you're kayaking I would still go with a leather holster, provided you have the belt to support it.  If not, then I'd use a fanny pack like the one sold by 5.11.  

View Quote

What position do you carry that rig in? I have a 3" J frame and carried it appendix several times, but the longer barrel was way to much for me in that set up.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:43:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I carry it in the 3:30 position.  I've never been a fan of appendix carry.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:19:12 AM EDT
[#5]
j-frame = front pocket nemesis rig

if I'm gonna out on an IWB, I'll carry more than a snubbie

....Glock23, shield, etc..
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 12:12:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
j-frame = front pocket nemesis rig

if I'm gonna out on an IWB, I'll carry more than a snubbie

....Glock23, shield, etc..
View Quote

This pretty much.  

But I also have a Galco Summer Comfort for my J.  

Not my pic but same set up.  

" />
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 12:37:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Looking for something with a fair bit of forward cant, would prefer kydex (I live in FL and go kayaking).

Thanks.
View Quote

The kydex is real easy to make, and at the same time you get exactly what you want. Because I have an L frame holsters aren't plentiful so I kind of felt like I didn't have a choice.

I bought a 25 stack of kydex off Amazon. I went with the stuff that's a bit thinner, I forget the exact thickness. If you're interested I can explain how I did it. Pretty simple. Oven, heat gun, dremel, and the desire to do it.

I appendix carry. I'd suggest the Galco but you said you wanted some cant. I carry my j-frame in a galco leather suede type holster. For kicks I may make a matching kydex for my j-frame, since my j-frame matches my 386 night guard.

Link Posted: 2/28/2016 4:24:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Look up Garrett Industries Silent Thunder a mix of Kydex and leather.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top