Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/28/2007 10:00:10 AM EDT
Here’s the deal. I see a lot of guys on here talking about wanting or needing to “lose the weight” and “get (back) in shape”. This, right here, is it.

This is ARFCOM P.T.  We are a group of knowledgeable guys and gals with different fitness skill sets. If you have a goal, we have everything else you need to get started and never look back.

Say ‘hello’ to your ARFCOM Fitness Cadre –

AGW (Aaron) - I lift and I run.  I’m not a bodybuilder or a marathoner.  I just do it right.  Tell me your lifting goals and I'll help you build a long-haul program. Tell me your cardio woes and I'll give you my best running tips. Tell me your weight goals and I'll help you make shopping lists and meals.

GR8TWYT (Bobby) is living it live. He started group training at Westside Barbell in July, and has been painfully hooked ever since. You can follow his progress HERE. For anyone interested in general fitness the way Westside Barbell does it, GR8T will be able to help you out to the best of his knowledge with what he has and continues to learn.

RikWriter (Rick) - I've been working out since I was a teenager and have never stopped.  I've been lifting since I was 19, at various times have been a long-distance biker and runner and I currently tailor my cardio workout towards fitness for hiking.  I am also a black belt in Tae Kwon Do and attend class (sometimes teaching it) twice a week.  I was also in an ROTC competition team in college, which gave me some insight into training methods. If you need advice on general fitness, weight training and cardio health, I will do my best to help.

H46Driver (Jim) is our Ironman. He has been an endurance athlete for 22 years and has, by far, the most competitive experience of anyone in the cadre. If you are training for a multi-sport event such as a bi-, tri-, or decathlon, look no further. If you are interested in road cycling, mountain biking, rock climbing, backpacking... if you have a physical INTEREST, Jim is the guy to talk to.

4xDawn (Dawn) has 6 kids... full-time job, right? What if I told you that not one single day goes by that she isn’t keeping fit? When Dawn finds time away from her head coaching position of a youth swim team, she is swimming, biking, skating, and lifting. This woman has earned her shoe/handbag collection.

PlaymoreMinds (Kim) is our BTDT lady rep. She’s been weight training for 10 years, has  a great attitude, and is ready to lend support and encouragement where and when she can. Women shooters are few, but well-represented on this board. I'm glad that they have two great ladies to turn to for advice and encouragement. Kim can't pedal or paddle, but she pwns. Period.

Remman (Charlie) is our token bodybuilder. The idea for ARFCOM P.T. came from the success of his Official Body Transformation Competition. If your goals go above and beyond those of the rest of the folks at your gym, whether you're looking to get started, have your workouts critiqued, get some diet tips, or get supplement info, Rem is the man.

chokeu2 (Brian) is our (too) late-coming martial artist and trainer.  For the last 26 years, he's practiced, taught, and competed in Muay Thai, Kali, and Brazilian Jui Jitsu (directly under Master Ricardo Murgel ).  I don't know where he also found the time to teach combatives as an infantryman in the Army...  That's not all, though.  Brian is also an experienced personal trainer in a variety of plyometric and bodyweight disciplines.  From grapples and footwork to Crossfit and yoga, Brian is here to tell you how to do it right.

Breakdown

Now that you’ve gotten to know us, we want to get to know you. What are your goals? Do you want to lose weight for health? Do you need to get in shape for the police/fire academy? Are you an aspiring bodybuilder or are you training for your first triathlon?

Pick the cadre member (or members) who you think would best fit your personal goals and shoot them an IM or email.

These are the areas where we can help:

Diet - AGW, Rem, H46, Dawn
This is a catch-all. It doesn't matter if you are underweight, overweight, a bodybuilder, or a triathlete. If you have questions, if you want a meal plan critiqued, or if you need a diet overhaul, start here.

Cardio -
General (running/machine cardio) - AGW, Rik
Track/Multi-sport training - H46
Other (biking/swimming/etc) - H46, Dawn, Rik

Weight training -
Bodybuilding/Powerlifting - Rem, GR8T, AGW, Choke
General - ALL

Martial Arts - Choke

Women’s Fitness - Dawn, Playmore

Injury Prevention/Recovery
- AGW, Choke, GR8T, Rem

Before you get started

Before we can help you start a new diet or training program, you need to be sure of the status of your health. If you are as serious about getting started as we are about helping, we STRONGLY recommend that the first step you take be a visit to the doctor’s office. At the very least, let your doctor know of your intentions.  From there, you can make us aware of any limitations you might have so that we may safely work around them.

Finally, please understand that we (the cadre) are a diverse group.  How we individually reach our fitness goals differs and so might our advice.  All we ask of you is to please keep an open mind and a progressive attitude.

This is your chance to do something, and our chance to help. We look forward to working with you.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 10:12:08 AM EDT
[#1]
so wait, we're gonna have to diet and work out?  Nope, not willing, NOT GONNA do it.  Wait
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 10:21:50 AM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 10:22:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
so wait, we're gonna have to diet and work out?  Nope, not willing, NOT GONNA do it.  Wait

Hell, D - you're going to be the posterboy for most radical body transformation EVAH!  Then none of teh ARFCOM wimmenz will be safe!!!
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 10:30:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hell, D - you're going to be the posterboy for most radical body transformation EVAH!  Then none of teh ARFCOM wimmenz will be safe!!!
lol I didn't know if it was ok to say anything, I guess it is.

I've been on the diet for about 2 weeks now.  AGW has been helping me with that.  

It's easy. EASY! It requires discipline but overall, anyone should be able to handle it.

I'm dropping fat at a good pace and I feel better.  I'm slowly going to be adding some cardio and GR8TWYT is going to be helping me with my weight training.

Some of you have seen pics of me.  I started off with a sorda unique structure.  I used to be a power lifter and was in pretty good shape.  I also raced XC mountain bikes for awhile. I trashed my knee in 99 and wasn't able to any cardio for long time and consequently got FAT.  I still lifted, but no cardio.  

This program is working for me, even with my insane schedule.  It can work for you too.

Link Posted: 9/28/2007 10:52:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Ok here goes....

Im currently trying to regain the strength and muscle mass that I have lost since HS.

Currently
Weight-165
Height 5'9"
Bench-225 max
Squat-350 max
Mile time-6:30ish
Body fat % is decent, but I wouldnt mind getting a bit more toned.

My Goal
Weight-180
Bench-250 at least, 275 ideally. Ive always dreamed of breaking 300
Squat-400(This shouldnt be hard, ive always had big gains with legs, I got up to about 450 at one point, but I take it easy on this now a days due to back/knees)
Maintain cardio
Cut the abs up a bit.
This is about where I was senior year in HS when I was playing football. I was 18/19 then, im now 21.

I am a high matabolism type guy, it takes ALOT of food and rest for me to make size gains. I currently eat 3-4 small meals a day, along with about 2 protien mixes somewhere in between. I could use cutting out some unhealthy parts of my diet, but thats difficult because of school and work. I could also use drinking more water during the day. I have started taking a nalgene to class and that has helped.

I think my biggest problem is lack of intensity in my workout, as its tough to find times when I can work out with a partner due to my schedule. The other problem is actually making it too the gym at all. I usually shoot for 3 trips a week, but usually end up actually making it once or twice. I could start lifting at work, but I hate getting all sweaty then having to go on a run.

The other problem I have is the fact that my workout has changed very little in years. I need some new ideas when it comes to sets and actual excercises. My workout usually lasts about an hour, and usually comes in the form of either hitting chest/arms, back/arms/abs, or legs/core. With sets I usually go 10/8/6-4.

Any advice in how to make some new gains would be great!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 11:30:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Alright, I am in on this.

Stats:
Sex:  Male
Hight: 6'0"
Weight:  215
Body Fat: 21%
Waist:  36"
Neck:  16 1/2"

Just had a physical and everything was gtg.  However, I am also being told that I probably have obstructive sleep apnea.  I need to finally lose this weight and learn how to keep it off.  

I am probably the most interested in nutrition combined with a weight program that will encourge the production of lean body mass first.  As much as I hate cardio I can manage my own program of self-flagellation.  

Link Posted: 9/28/2007 11:34:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 11:41:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Now that you’ve gotten to know us, we want to get to know you. What are your goals? Do you want to lose weight for health? Do you need to get in shape for the police/fire academy? Are you an aspiring bodybuilder or are you training for your first triathlon?

I chose to educate myself about health and fitness because I have a son who I want to make sure I'm around for and can protect under any circumstances, and for many years to come.

At the risk of providing the photochop armies with endless opportunities to poke fun, here's me last year, and then again this year:
i20.tinypic.com/2djyulf.jpg

Worst I reached was 198lbs, but currently at about 175. My goals are to bulk and try to get back to ~200. Good thing is I'm well balanced... ALL my body parts need to grow.

I'll take all the help/advice I can get, and I'm willing to help anyone that wants it. Gaining qualty mass is waaaaay harder than losing fat.

At the rate you're posting, you oughta be able to be 200 lbs of lean solid muscle mass by post 556
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 11:45:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 11:48:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
At the rate you're posting, you oughta be able to be 200 lbs of lean solid muscle mass by post 556

LOL. Less posting, more working out for you!
I had surgery yesterday, what's your excuse shrimpy?
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 11:55:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 11:57:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had surgery yesterday, what's your excuse shrimpy?

Let's not live in the past now... today is a new day. I've increased my post count by 3 (almost 10%) in the last few minutes....
the world may explode.  Goatboy may get pissed that it's family using all the bandwidth

And I'm cleaning my bolt from my M4 man.  I used Wolf it's not pretty
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 12:12:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

E.A. - you may be interested in my Westside Barbell thread linked in my bio above.  Westside principles are old Soviet methods designed to encourage gains and dsicouarge plateaus. I'll continue to update it often with more of the actual techniques employed instead of using it like my blog to help others reach goals faster. Looks like you have the diet down!
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 2:10:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I would love to gain weight and could use some help with knowing what to eat, or what supplements to take.

Stats
27 Year Old White Male
5-11"
150 ish
30" waist.

I'm very strong for my size, but would love to bulk up some. I eat well, but can't gain any weight no matter what I eat. I have recently started a workout program with push ups and pull ups as the main exercises, along with the bench press and ab exercises.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 2:21:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I would love to gain weight and could use some help with knowing what to eat, or what supplements to take.

Stats
27 Year Old White Male
5-11"
150 ish
30" waist.

I'm very strong for my size, but would love to bulk up some. I eat well, but can't gain any weight no matter what I eat. I have recently started a workout program with push ups and pull ups as the main exercises, along with the bench press and ab exercises.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Protein is the building block of muscle - I recommend Muscle milk.  Try to consume 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight you weigh now - so 150 grams or so of protein per day.  Drink a shake 1 hour prior to your workout, another immediately after, and 1 before bed.  Get the rest from your normal daily meals - hint, tuna, lean beef, white chicken.   Train hard and you WILL gain.  I graduated HS in 1985 at 126 lbs.  I now weigh 214.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 10:09:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Background: Got out of BCT/AIT in April in the best shape I've ever been in. Got 292 on the PT test, which was 78 push-ups/98 sit-ups in 2 minutes, and 2 miles in 13:30. However, since then, I've been....less than vigilant. And by that I mean I've been almost totally inactive. I must get back to at least close to those standards in order to stay on the Funeral Guard drill team I've since been accepted to. Unfortunately, that 13:30 is now down to beyond 16:30 The sit-ups come easy for me, and I feel the push-ups aren't as big a deal for me. But my running needs help. Any advice come to mind?

Some stats:
22 years old
5' 11"
165 lbs

Diet:
Lots of German beer and Nestle's chocolate chip cookie dough.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 10:14:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
But my running needs help.

Run!

Seriously, if your shoes are still good (less than 500 running miles logged), just get the hell out there and do your 9 minute mile x2.  Do it again in a day.  And again.  Breath easy.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 10:18:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

[EddieMurphyVoice] Maaaan, get that sock out yo britches. [/EddieMurphyVoice]
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 10:30:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Hell, I could use some advice.  22 year old Marine reservist.  

6'3" 180.

Last PFT ran a 22min 3 mile, 10 dead hang pull ups 100 crunches in 2 minutes.

My goals are I'd like to drop fat and gain weight to the point where I can max out or get close to maxing out the PFT- 20 dead hang pullups and an 18 min 3 mile.  I would also like to build strength all over- upper and lower body.  

Problems for me are I'm broke, so I often eat poorly, and usually have a hard time committing to a workout for a long time.  I do have access to some pretty nice home workout equipment.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 10:32:03 PM EDT
[#20]
I'll play. I really want to put on some weight and get back into both physical and cardio shape.

Me:

22 yo Male
6'2"
Barely 150lbs
30" waist

I used to be a much better shape when I used to actually work for a living. Now I sit in front of a computer 90% of my day. About a month ago I started Mt. Biking again. My weight dropped from 160 to 150 almost over night. Not what I wanted to happen.

My main area that I am seriously lacking in is a solid diet. I eat maybe twice a day, most often just once. Usually a couple sammiches or fast food.

What do the fitness experts say? Other then start eating more.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 10:33:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Problems for me are I'm broke, so I often eat poorly

I'll say this for everyone, this isn't directed at you.  If you can afford to eat fast food all the time, you can afford to eat clean.  No excuses.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 10:47:54 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll say this for everyone, this isn't directed at you.  If you can afford to eat fast food all the time, you can afford to eat clean.  No excuses.
Rice, chicken, eggs, oatmeal, turkey, wheat bread, all cheap, all good ooo I helpededed
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 11:02:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rice, chicken, eggs, oatmeal, turkey, wheat bread, all cheap, all good ooo I helpededed

And dont forget tuna. Here is my usual lunch

Small bag trail mix

1 Can Tuna (drain the water)

Stir in some miracle whip, add seasoning salt, and pepper and stir up.

Put on crackers and BAM, healthy, lots of protein, and filling
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 11:10:34 PM EDT
[#24]
I'll play too

before I met the wife and last G/F I was in the gym at college every day  2+ hrs a day
weight then was 225-240  36 jean and a 18.5 shirt  6'2" benched 275 on reps and maxed at 365  squated 4somethin reps and maxed at 5somethin   this was 7 yrs ago  

I have since "bulked up"    44 jean size  3 somethin#  

finally convinced my wife to join a gym w/ me  we did this last tuesday   have been once so far (yesterday)  arms and back are still burning but that will pass

Allready changed my diet  eating less fast food the last month   more home cooking  more chicken, tuna, eggs, and have mostly cut out sodas   working on fully cutting sodas   Been drinking vitamin water just cuz it tastes good and better than drinking gatoraid all the time (just can't drink straight water all the time   it bugs me  don't know why)  

So question is what more do I do besides find a schedule and stick to it   I am looking to get back to a 6 day a week schedule if not 7 alternating upper, mid, and lower body zones  
Also what is a good way to get the respratory back.  I did a 7min mile on the eliptical and the lower body could have done more faster but my lungs just flat gave out  

I'll add more as I think of it
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 11:15:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I'm going to recommend you talk to GR8T for your weight training.  You're a bigger guy all around, so he can make you hurt.

Respiratory is sad but true.  You just gotta do it til it hurts every time.  Do you have a preference, i.e. running, swimming, or do you like the machines?
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 11:16:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Buy a bag of frozen, boneless, skinless chicken breasts, and box of boil in a bag rice. You can make that up in the time it would take you to drive through anywhere. 10 min. Grill the chicken with some seasoning salt, and serve it over the rice with a low cal terriaki sauce. Or any sauce that you like.

Much less expensive then drive through.

A big part of getting fit is changing the way you eat, and think about eating.  

EVEN if you are on a drive through diet, there are healthy (er) choices out there.

Del Taco: 2 chicken tacos Del Carbon, and an Iced tea will fill you up, and only cost about 300 calories, and 5.00.  If you HAVE to do drive through, always order everything dry. No cheese.  Go with Chicken... grilled, if they offer it, and NEVER soda.

Oh, and tag?
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 11:17:35 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

At the risk of providing the photochop armies with endless opportunities to poke fun, here's me last year, and then again this year:

Worst I reached was 198lbs, but currently at about 175. My goals are to bulk and try to get back to ~200. Good thing is I'm well balanced... ALL my body parts need to grow.

I'll take all the help/advice I can get, and I'm willing to help anyone that wants it. Gaining qualty mass is waaaaay harder than losing fat.

... dang, what a benchmark
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 11:20:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Dawn brings up a great point there which is sometimes you just have to find a way to eat right.  So, on a whim, the office wants to go to Chili's?  Understanding food is going to help you pick the right meal.

I'm one to talk, tonight was my cheat.  Burger, fries, 2 sodas, and a small sundae!

I was considering asking Ed to be a part of this, but I honestly thought he'd be too busy.

Lo, he's here and knows WTF he's talking about.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 11:27:02 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

You look phenomenal.

I'm not really sure what to do to "gain" mass. (I've only ever been consumed with LOSING it)

My oldest is dealing with this issue right now. He is 6'2" and weighs 171. He is very fit, and in perfect condition, but wants more mass.

He is trying some protein powder thing. I'll let you know how that works out for him.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 11:48:25 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm going to recommend you talk to GR8T for your weight training.  You're a bigger guy all around, so he can make you hurt.

Respiratory is sad but true.  You just gotta do it til it hurts every time.  Do you have a preference, i.e. running, swimming, or do you like the machines?

I used to do a walk/jog thing as a warm up and cool down   liked the view changing and going somewhere   plus here in TX you can stay outside all but 3 days a year if you don't mind the rain.    I much prefer swimming and used to get my lung capacity up doing the navy trick  fill the lungs with air then take 3 extra breaths as deep as posible and go under and stay as long as posible    got to where it seemed I could read a book under water   may try and find a pool to do this in again    

I liked the eliptical because its a lower impact machine   So I guess to answer your question I'm up for any   Prefer swimming but any of the above works fine for me  

The biggest step for me is nutrition   changing my eating habits and sticking to them  
Link Posted: 9/29/2007 1:00:18 AM EDT
[#31]
OST
Link Posted: 9/29/2007 3:58:22 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
B Unfortunately, that 13:30 is now down to beyond 16:30 The sit-ups come easy for me, and I feel the push-ups aren't as big a deal for me. But my running needs help. Any advice come to mind?

Some stats:
22 years old
5' 11"
165 lbs

Diet:

How much are you running now, both total weekly mileage times/week?

Without knowing that, I would recommend 3 days/week of running and 1 day of aerobic cross training.  Sample program:

First run of the week or the run after your greatest number of days off - track work.  Warm up for 1 mile, do 3-4 1/2 mile/800M repeats at 3:55-4:05 (pace based on your 16:30 reported 2 mile time - times come from mcmillanrunning.com).  Don't run faster - you are trying to stress a specific energy delivery system.  Rest (easy walking) 2 minutes between your repeats

Second run of the week (at least one day off since track work) Tempo run - Start with 3 miles.  Warm up for 1 mile, run 1 to 1.5 miles at 9:05-9:25 pace and then run easily for the last half mile to mile.  Don't do it on a track, but use a course with some known distance checkpoints.

3rd run of the week (at least 1 day off since tempo) Long run - Start this one a 3 or 4 miles depending on how much running you are doing now.  Pace should be 10:30-11:30/mile.

If these paces seem too slow, run an actual 2 mile test and check back in here with your time and I will give you new recommended paces .  Make sure that you are well rested and warmed up before testing (if you retest).  Don't run faster than the paces that I recommend.  The track work is to improve your running economy and ability to perform at just over your lactate threshold.  The tempo run is to improve your ability to run at just under your lactate threshold.  Both will improve your threshold - the reason that we don't just do 2 track workouts is recovery - much easier when training below your threshold.

The long run is to improve your aerobic system and ability to utilize oxygen and burn fat.  Think of the aerobic system as your foundation.  If it isn't strong, you can only build so much on top of it.

Follow this basic plan for 4-6 weeks and retest.

Link Posted: 9/29/2007 4:59:11 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not really sure what to do to "gain" mass. (I've only ever been consumed with LOSING it)

My oldest is dealing with this issue right now. He is 6'2" and weighs 171. He is very fit, and in perfect condition, but wants more mass.

He is trying some protein powder thing. I'll let you know how that works out for him.

The trick is to eat like you actually weigh your desired weight most of the time, whether you're trying to lose weight or bulk.

Ed wants to be 200lbs, he's got to eat like a 200lb boy.  Same with your son.  I'll put together a day plan that shows the idea.
Link Posted: 9/29/2007 5:02:53 AM EDT
[#34]
How about a perma-tack for each separate category in this thread so we don't have to go threw everything to find what we want to look up or ask about ....ie: Cardio , Diet , Lifting...etc , etc !
Link Posted: 9/29/2007 5:08:25 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
How about a perma-tack for each separate category in this thread so we don't have to go threw everything to find what we want to look up or ask about ....ie: Cardio , Diet , Lifting...etc , etc !

Actually, I was considering doing a basic diet write-up after realizing what a mystery this can be for some people.

This is a good suggetion and I'll try to have everyone contribute.
Link Posted: 9/29/2007 7:19:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Alright.  For those on the fence here's a small snippet of my progress.  

I officially started 2 weeks ago today.  I weighed 331 lbs.  As of this mornings weigh in, I'm at 318.5

This is ONLY using the diet that AGW came up with for me.  What works for me to lose may cause you to gain, so don't try what I do and assume it'll work.

An average day for me

7 am,   1 serving of fruit, one egg plus 2 egg whites.

9 am,   Another serving of fruit and a serving of oatmeal with brown cane sugar to sweeten it.  

11:30 am, a Wheat and turkey sandwich with mustard and usually a slice of tomato

1:30 pm same as 11:30 but with a slice of lowfat cheese.

4:00 pm 6-7 ounces of chicken with the fat cut off, I season it with sodium free lemon pepper, (salt is bad mmkay) and usually a serving of fruit.

6:00 pm, 6-7 ounces of chicken, again, with some sort of no or very low sodium seasoning.  (sometimes I'll eat lean steak, no seasoning needed ) and a small salad with some lowfat cheese, and some tomato on it.  No dressing.

Right before bedtime I'll have a serving of yogurt.  

Now some of you know I've been sick for a few days and unable to eat right, but I'm back on it today, currently enjoying a bowl of oatmeal and an apple.  Bout to eat some eggs also.  I got a late start today.

This set up was designed FOR ME, It may or may not work for you, but there is no reason to assume it will.  A few simple steps will get you you're own set up that will have you burning fat.  Number one is the desire and committment to be in better shape.  It's a personal choice that requires a commitment from each of you individually to yourself.  Next, IM one of the diet people listed in the first post.  Then DO WHAT THEY SAY.  It works.  

You're being offered a simple path to feeling better and being in better shape.  It's right in front of you, and it's free.  Do it for yourself.

Fixed.  Egg yolks are bad mmmkay
Link Posted: 9/29/2007 7:32:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/29/2007 5:31:00 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
B Unfortunately, that 13:30 is now down to beyond 16:30 The sit-ups come easy for me, and I feel the push-ups aren't as big a deal for me. But my running needs help. Any advice come to mind?

Some stats:
22 years old
5' 11"
165 lbs

Diet:

How much are you running now, both total weekly mileage times/week?

Without knowing that, I would recommend 3 days/week of running and 1 day of aerobic cross training.  Sample program:

First run of the week or the run after your greatest number of days off - track work.  Warm up for 1 mile, do 3-4 1/2 mile/800M repeats at 3:55-4:05 (pace based on your 16:30 reported 2 mile time - times come from mcmillanrunning.com).  Don't run faster - you are trying to stress a specific energy delivery system.  Rest (easy walking) 2 minutes between your repeats

Second run of the week (at least one day off since track work) Tempo run - Start with 3 miles.  Warm up for 1 mile, run 1 to 1.5 miles at 9:05-9:25 pace and then run easily for the last half mile to mile.  Don't do it on a track, but use a course with some known distance checkpoints.

3rd run of the week (at least 1 day off since tempo) Long run - Start this one a 3 or 4 miles depending on how much running you are doing now.  Pace should be 10:30-11:30/mile.

If these paces seem too slow, run an actual 2 mile test and check back in here with your time and I will give you new recommended paces .  Make sure that you are well rested and warmed up before testing (if you retest).  Don't run faster than the paces that I recommend.  The track work is to improve your running economy and ability to perform at just over your lactate threshold.  The tempo run is to improve your ability to run at just under your lactate threshold.  Both will improve your threshold - the reason that we don't just do 2 track workouts is recovery - much easier when training below your threshold.

The long run is to improve your aerobic system and ability to utilize oxygen and burn fat.  Think of the aerobic system as your foundation.  If it isn't strong, you can only build so much on top of it.

Follow this basic plan for 4-6 weeks and retest.

Wow, cool advice. I really don't have a set running schedule now. It's been basically every other day....but only for the couple of days right before dates when I feared there might have been a PT test.

Thanks, I will try to keep to that and see how much I improve.
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 3:10:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Suggestion.  One thing all the people in this need, is nutritional information on fruits and veggies.  A chart added maybe to the OP with all the info would be great.
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 8:12:35 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Suggestion.  One thing all the people in this need, is nutritional information on fruits and veggies.  A chart added maybe to the OP with all the info would be great.

KG5S suggested that too.  I'm going to put together a good diet write up and try to get it tacked.
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 10:17:06 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

This is my favorite site to look up nutritional info for food:

www.caloriesperhour.com/index_food.html

I also love their BMI, and exercise counters...

www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.html

Link Posted: 10/1/2007 12:29:56 AM EDT
[#42]
I am 32 years old and just under 6'3" @ 205 lbs.

I am halfway through the process for a Police Academy. I want to be in shape if I get picked up. I am trying to gain quality muscle and lose fat. I am doing OK with everything and seeing gains but I HATE to run. I know that we will be running ALOT, so I work on it anyways. Here is what I am currently doing......

DIET:
- NO Soda
- NO Alcohol
- NO French Fries
- I only drink water or milk
- I am able to eat 3 meals and day and am having 2 proteins shakes a day also. I try to split these up and consume every 3 hours or so.

WORKOUT:
- Have a 24 Hr Fitness Gym Membership
- I go to the track 1 night a week and will run about the same as below followed by push-ups till failure and sit-ups till failure. I will then sprint the straights and jog the corners for 1 lap.
- I go to the gym 3 nights a week after work at about 0100 and am there till about 0230
- I will stretch for about 5 minutes before getting on the treadmill and running a 1-1.25 miles at between 6.5-7 mph. Then I will hit the weights for the remainder of my time there resting no more than 1 minute in between sets.

WEIGHTS:
All the following exercises are 3 sets each with 12, 10, & 8 reps in each. I will do more reps with less weight and increase the weights with each set. If I have no problem getting the weight up on my last set I will adjust my starting weight for my next workout.

Anyways, here are the exercises(in order) that I do on my PUSH days. Leg Press, Bench Press, Chest Flys, Leg Extentions, Incline Bench Press, Lateral Raises, Tricep Dips, Lower Sit-Ups, Oblique Rotation, Back Extentions

Here are the exercises(in order) that I do on my PULL days. Seated Rows, Reversed Flys,  Leg Curls, Lat Pulldowns(palms away), Pullups(palms facing), Calve Raises, Pullovers, Bicep Curls, Ab Crunch, Oblique Rotation, Knee Lifts

----------------------------------------------------------

You guys see anything that I should be doing differently? Any pointers to help with the possible upcoming Police Academy?
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 1:18:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Well...

i took my own advice today. I generally workout at my high level, only at certain times of the year, usually Feb-July. Then spend the rest of the year in maintenaince mode.

I'm back to that daily, starting now.

I don't hurt yet, but am sure I will tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 1:32:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Stats:
Sex: Male
Hight: 5' 11"
Weight: 270

In high school I weighed 150lbs, I was a pretty active rock climber, I could run a 7min mile.  Now, I can barely run a 10min mile, or pull myself up a decent wall.  What should I do?
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:04:00 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Stats:
Sex: Male
Hight: 5' 11"
Weight: 270

In high school I weighed 150lbs, I was a pretty active rock climber, I could run a 7min mile.  Now, I can barely run a 10min mile, or pull myself up a decent wall.  What should I do?

Start back with what you love, and make a commitment to it. I'd start with running, jogging or even walking 2 miles a day. At first do it to complete the course, then go for time.

Try to get faster every day.

Get back to rock climbing when you hit 200. Make that a goal.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 5:16:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Serious post.

I stink.  It seems like the more healthy food I eat, the more I stink.  I'm taking 2 showers a day to keep up with it, and putting on deoderant 4 times a day. I didn't have this problem when I weighed 345 lbs in the middle of last summer.

WTF is it?

The only time I've ever heard of anything like this is a doper detoxing.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 6:39:36 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1 year and minus 75 lbs later, I have learned that this is the TRUTH.

Btw, very cool thing you all have going on here!
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 7:16:33 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I stink.

What exactly stinks?  Your breath?
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 7:17:56 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I stink.

No, all the major sweaty areas.  Crotch and  pits mostly
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 8:39:25 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I stink.

No, all the major sweaty areas.  Crotch and  pits mostly

If you've cleaned up your diet & increased your water consumption as I believe you have, then you technically ARE detoxing.  Consider some Gold Bond powder too - if you're perspiring more in the aforementioned area, you want to inhibit fungus growth.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top