Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2019 12:45:30 PM EDT
Wasn't sure where to put this and knew if I put it in GD it would be filled with diatribe and useless posts so I'll try here.

I made a portable power pack using a trolling motor battery housing and a pair of 6 volt AGM batteries connected to give me 12 volts. I added a battery charger and a power inverter and it works great.

I want to pickup a small solar panel and charge controller to use with it for when the power goes out. I was looking at some 50 and 60 watt panels but wasn't sure if maybe there was something better out there.

Anyone here know much about solar panels?
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 1:09:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Foxxz] [#1]
If your batteries are 12v @ 50ah and you can charge them at a 50w rate it would take about 12 hours to charge them back up assuming its 100% efficient (12v * 50ah = 600wh / 50w = 12h).

Your solar panels probably average 80-90% of their rated output in good conditions. An MPPT charge controller (the better type) are about 90% efficient. And battery charging itself has some losses. You probably get 4-6 hours of solid sunlight on the panels. You are looking at least 4 days to get the batteries charged from dead to full with a 60w panel.

ETA - This is probably the wrong forum.
Top Top