User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 10/11/2002 1:30:04 PM EDT
Found these on Yahoo.

What's with the masks?

Whish they had caught that guy.

[img]us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20021011/capt.1034365516.topix_sniper_shootings_wx117.jpg[/img]

[img]us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20021011/capt.1034365053.topix_sniper_shootings_wx118.jpg[/img]

[img]us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20021011/i/1034358936.2483511411.jpg[/img]

[img]us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20021011/capt.1034365604.topix_sniper_shootings_wx120.jpg[/img]

[img]us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20021011/capt.1034362092.sniper_shootings_wx119.jpg[/img]

[img]us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20021011/capt.1034363319.sniper_shootings_wx123.jpg[/img]

--LS

Link Posted: 10/11/2002 1:33:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the same question:

[size=5][b][center]WHY ARE THE COPS WEARING MASKS![/center][/b][/size=5]
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 1:36:36 PM EDT
[#2]
They're probably pulling all resources to handle all the inspections, leads, etc.  These guys are most likely undercover cops during the normal course of operations who don't want to blow their covers while helping to search for the sniper.

You have quite the controversial sign-on name for this subject don't you? [;)]
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 1:38:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Because it's a very chilly 62 degrees today?
[V]
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 1:38:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Just to piss you off?  

Or, perhaps, since they're not wearing uniforms they just might be *undercover* officers called in to assist in this emergency, but don't want to blow their cover?
Nah!  It's just to piss you off!   [;D]
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 1:41:27 PM EDT
[#5]

[img]us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20021011/capt.1034365604.topix_sniper_shootings_wx120.jpg[/img]

Let's see...

- armed man
- wearing mask
- generic-looking "police" shirt
- jeans & sneakers

Could the sniper just walk right by a line of cars and everyone think he's "just another cop"?

Link Posted: 10/11/2002 1:43:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Welcome to the 21st Century pilgram.

[:|]
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 1:45:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Why are cops stopping people in the middle of the street with no probable cause? Why are people cooperating? Stopping every white van on the road shows their utter incompetance and desperation.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 1:45:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just to piss you off?  

Or, perhaps, since they're not wearing uniforms they just might be *undercover* officers called in to assist in this emergency, but don't want to blow their cover?
Nah!  It's just to piss you off!   [;D]
View Quote
I don't think they're "undercover" cops.  Look at the weapons the ones wearing masks are carrying.  I think they're SWAT - and full-face masks have become part of the SWAT uniform.  I have yet to figure out why.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I dunno, but How the heck are you supposed to know they are police officers, in ninja masks and multi colored wind breakers, it would be nice if the cops dressed like cops so you could tell THEM FROM THE SNIPER!!!

I think these guys look unprofessional as hell and the masks are absolute B.S. these get ups just reinforce the publics bad perception of militaristic law enforcement wanna-be's

I'm not worried that they are carrying long weapons, that's to be expected, but for gods sakes they could lose the Bosnian militia windbreakers and masks.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 1:47:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I dunno but my next door neighbor (Fairfax county cop) just got home. He had his service weapon in full view, first time he's done that, plus he pulled 3 huge black bags out of his trunk...and they were fairly heavy.....[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 1:48:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why are cops stopping people in the middle of the street with no probable cause? Why are people cooperating? Stopping every white van on the road shows their utter incompetance and desperation.
View Quote
They're cooperating because they're good citizens and want this a**hole CAUGHT.  The system only works if the citizens HELP.  If they fight it, it falls apart.

They're stopping every white van on the road because [i]they have no better lead[/i].  And it beats the hell out of doing nothing.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 1:48:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Could the sniper just walk right by a line of cars and everyone think he's "just another cop"?

View Quote

Thinking the same thing, or worse.

Link Posted: 10/11/2002 1:48:49 PM EDT
[#13]
What, my login name?

From what I gather, none of these shootings have been even remotely regarded as a long shot.

And BTW, lets not even go there...

We are most definitely being watched. We don't need to start turning on each other.
--------------------------------------------

The "undercover" theory seems most likely. It is not cold here in the least today.

What King of buttstocks are those? They look a little different.

--LS
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 1:49:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because, in case you haven't been paying attention, there's a serial killer on the loose who tends to shoot people and then drive away.  A white van has been reported at more than one of the shootings, and was reported as being at the scene of the shooting this morning.  The police were on the major highways leading away from the scene checking vehicles what matched the description, which created somewhat of a traffic jam.  

And why are people cooperating?  Because everyone with a fucking ounce of brains wants the guy to be caught and understands that if it inconveniences them a little on the drive to work, it's worth it if it leads to an arrest.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 1:50:06 PM EDT
[#15]
coward masks
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't think they're "undercover" cops.  Look at the weapons the ones wearing masks are carrying.  I think they're SWAT - and full-face masks have become part of the SWAT uniform.  I have yet to figure out why.
View Quote

A lot of the cops I knew who worked undercover did double duty on their department's SWAT team.

originally posted by fearandloathing37
it would be nice if the cops dressed like cops so you could tell THEM FROM THE SNIPER!!!
View Quote

Actually, they are dressed like cops.  See the big word, "POLICE", across their vests?  Police is another word for "cops".  

And no one would confuse them with the sniper, because they're not carrying scoped bolt guns.  

Link Posted: 10/11/2002 1:57:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
coward masks
View Quote

Just out of curiosity, were you wearing an "idiot mask" when you posted that?
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 2:02:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
coward masks
View Quote

View Quote

Why is he an idiot for stating the truth ??
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 2:05:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
coward masks
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Explain to me how, if those cops are undercover called in to try to catch this guy, they're cowards for wearing masks.  Or are you just one of those guys who takes every opportunity to bash cops?
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 2:05:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Because, in case you haven't been paying attention, there's a serial killer on the loose who tends to shoot people and then drive away.  A white van has been reported at more than one of the shootings, and was reported as being at the scene of the shooting this morning.  The police were on the major highways leading away from the scene checking vehicles what matched the description, which created somewhat of a traffic jam.  

[red]And why are people cooperating?  Because everyone with a fucking ounce of brains wants the guy to be caught and understands that if it inconveniences them a little on the drive to work, it's worth it if it leads to an arrest.[/red]
View Quote

I refer you to my sig line.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 2:06:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Uh oh... here we go...

Hey! Are those some cool pictures or what?

Dammit! IBTL!  [:D]
--LS

Link Posted: 10/11/2002 2:07:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

[red]And why are people cooperating?  Because everyone with a fucking ounce of brains wants the guy to be caught and understands that if it inconveniences them a little on the drive to work, it's worth it if it leads to an arrest.[/red]
View Quote

View Quote

And I refer you to my previous post about the idiot mask.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 2:10:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
coward masks
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Explain to me how, if those cops are undercover called in to try to catch this guy, they're cowards for wearing masks.  Or are you just one of those guys who takes every opportunity to bash cops?
View Quote

LOL, cop basher !!!  how typical.
Answer this for me.....EVEN IF those guys were undercover leo's, they are not on scene and the chances that ANY of those drivers would recognize them as an undercover cop are PRETTY DAMN REMOTE !!!!
Also, answer this..... Why does anyone wear a mask ??
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 2:11:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

And I refer you to my previous post about the idiot mask.
View Quote

Yup, as expected, no intelligent reply, just call someone an idiot.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 2:12:41 PM EDT
[#25]
SIR ROBERT PEEL'S NINE PRINCIPLES OF POLICING

1:  The basic mission for which the police exist is to prevent crime and disorder.

2:  The ability of the police to perform their duties is [red]dependent upon public approval of police actions.[/red]

3:  Police must secure the [red]willing co-operation[/red] of the public in voluntary observance of the law to be able to secure and maintain the respect of the public.

4:  The degree of co-operation of the public that can be secured [red]diminishes proportionately to the necessity of the use of physical force.[/red]

5:  Police seek and preserve public favour not by catering to public opinion but by constantly demonstrating absolute impartial service to the law.

6:  Police use physical force to the extent necessary to secure observance of the law or to restore order only when the exercise of persuasion, advice and warning is found to be insufficient.

7:  Police, at all times, should maintain a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that [red]the police are the public and the public are the police; [b]the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties [size=3]which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence.[/size=3][/red][/b]

8:  Police should always direct their action strictly towards their functions and never appear to usurp the powers of the judiciary.

9:  [red]The test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder, not the visible evidence of police action in dealing with it.[/red]

That's why I disapprove of masks, and why people should help in investigations.  And why people have a right to arms for self defense.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 2:13:43 PM EDT
[#26]
WHO GIVES A FUCK IF THEY WEAR A DAMN MASK

I dont see you out there looking for the sniper so shut the fuck up.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 2:15:18 PM EDT
[#27]
No offense eswanson, but just because you have a name tag on your vest that says POLICE, does not make you law enforcement and I still think that blue jeans, multi colored windbreakers tennis shoes, and ninja wanna-be masks look unprofessional as hell, and give the public grave doubts about wether or not you are a real honest to god Law Enforcement Officer.

I have no objection to the officers being tactical, but for god sakes those get ups scream the words "I'm cheap, unprofessional and unprepared."

To put it bluntly, they look like shit.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 2:16:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
coward masks
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

LOL, cop basher !!!  how typical.
Answer this for me.....EVEN IF those guys were undercover leo's, they are not on scene and the chances that ANY of those drivers would recognize them as an undercover cop are PRETTY DAMN REMOTE !!!!
Also, answer this..... Why does anyone wear a mask ??
View Quote

Because Masks are cool! Don't you remember Zoro?
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 2:16:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I CARE YOU ARROGANT ASSHOLE !!!!   This is not a police state (yet) and these guys are not the gestapo (yet) They have absolutly NO REASON to wear a mask.
If it's so important to wear a mask, why are'nt ALL of the leo's wearing one ??

And BTW, it's a little hard to search for this shooter from sunny AZ.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 2:20:25 PM EDT
[#30]
If it bothers you that much that a cop who may very likely be undercover wants to wear a mask, damn, you have too much time on your hands.

Not knowing the full truth is the reason that there are so many gun control laws.

Not knowing the full truth is why youre getting so upset about a peice of cloth.  Maybe they do have a good reason.

SO for now, since I have better things to do than bash cops, I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

They're risking their lives right now lookin for this guy.  They can wear a mask if they want to.  If you were puttin your life on the line and wanted to wear a mask, I wouldnt question you either.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 2:24:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
coward masks
View Quote

And we post here anonymously using numbers and nicks instead of his real names...  how is that different?
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 2:24:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Oh, what if the sniper decides he wants to buy a uniform that looks like the issue uniforms for that given area?

Wouldnt take much to look like a cop, uniform or not.  

Kinda like the orange muzzle law for replica guns.  Who's to say somebody cant go ahead and spray paint a real gun orange?  

Kinda a off kilter analogy, but you get the point...

Link Posted: 10/11/2002 2:25:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
coward masks
View Quote

View Quote

ok genius, why do they need to wear masks?
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 2:27:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If it bothers you that much that a cop who may very likely be undercover wants to wear a mask, damn, you have too much time on your hands.

Not knowing the full truth is the reason that there are so many gun control laws.

Not knowing the full truth is why youre getting so upset about a peice of cloth.  Maybe they do have a good reason.

SO for now, since I have better things to do than bash cops, I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

They're risking their lives right now lookin for this guy.  They can wear a mask if they want to.  If you were puttin your life on the line and wanted to wear a mask, I wouldnt question you either.
View Quote

Ok, what possible reason would these guys have to wear a mask in THIS situation ??

And here's the BIG question.... The people in this area are already on edge from the previous shootings, they have just heard that another shooting had taken place right where they are and as they are driving down the highway. Then they see these guys in plain clothes and MASKS just like a criminal would wear running around with M4's and trying to stop traffic.
The point is, tensions are extremely high and these guys are just scaring poeople even more by playing ninja.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 2:28:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
coward masks
View Quote

And we post here anonymously using numbers and nicks instead of his real names...  how is that different?
View Quote

But I thought that your mother really named you 1_153_370_371_407?
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 2:30:04 PM EDT
[#36]
KBaker...

Regarding 'The Nine Principles...'

Good post.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 2:30:42 PM EDT
[#37]
[b] some new ones[/b]

[img]us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20021011/i/1034356541.2684846198.jpg[/img]

[img]us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20021011/i/1034358796.1074544694.jpg[/img]

[img]us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20021011/i/1034357082.2751881338.jpg[/img]

[img]us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20021011/capt.1034357357.sniper_shootings_vawoo102.jpg[/img]

[b] HEY! START A PISSING MATCH IN YOUR OWN THREAD!!!! [/b]

--LS

Link Posted: 10/11/2002 2:31:06 PM EDT
[#38]
They may be wearing masks for the same reason I have an AR15 instead of a remington 700 in 5.56.

Simply, because, they fuckin want to.

Free country right?  Politicians want to take your guns and you want to take a peice of cloth...

Would you guys really sleep easier if you could see those guys faces?  Would you really care enough about their faces to remember them for it to make one bit of difference anyways?  Im guessing no...so dont get your panties in a bunch.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 2:31:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not a good post.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 2:31:54 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm not anti-cop, I've got a State blue card in my pocket, what I am is anti-unprofessional-looking-cop. I have a hard time believing that all those guys wearing masks out there are deep cover, undercover cops, more likely they are ordinary detectives who decided that getting pulled out for search duty meant it was casual Friday.

Lets see, there's a sniper out there, he's shot somebody just about every day this week, he will probably shoot somebody today, Gee, what should I wear to work this morning, My tactical gear maybe, Naw...I'll just throw on a pair of grubby jeans, some tennys and oh yeah, better bring that cheap ninja mask I bought last fall, cause I sure don't want anybody to see my face wearing this other sorry shit.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 2:32:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Spectre, whats to say that a criminal couldnt dress like a cop anyways?
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 2:33:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

well, i imagine the cops wouldn't react kindly to joe citizen running around with his AR right now to help look for the sniper

that leaves joining the force ... no thanks
not about to become a tax man/ drug warrior

Link Posted: 10/11/2002 2:34:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Those aren't masks.  They're balaclavas.  Those are ninja cops.

Hey, has anyone seen McUzi?
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 2:34:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
coward masks
View Quote

View Quote

there is as much information about my name here as there is about  your's

Link Posted: 10/11/2002 2:35:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thank you. We're all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 2:36:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Not exactly meaning to bring this to a pissing match, but hey, all I hear about is "why are they wearing masks".

Well, sitting your computer bitching and bitching about cops wearing masks isnt going to change the situation.

IF you dont like cops wearing masks, do something about it.  Call your senator or something like that, I dont care.  But bitching about cops wearing masks is getting VERY old.

To call those guys cowards is a pretty low blow.  Like I said, who are the ones out there looking for the sniper?  Certainly aint you.  I'll respect a man in a mask looking for a sniper who apparantly is pretty damn good  more than I will respect some moron sitting on his computer bitching and moaning about that man wearing a damn mask.

Link Posted: 10/11/2002 2:36:48 PM EDT
[#47]
look, they're not cowards alright? after seeing pics of some without masks and some with, i'm going to buy the "undercover elswhere not wanting to be outed a cop now argument"

I just like to insult people who are forwarding the police state trend in the USA, and if they are UC elsewhere chances are real good they are "drug warriors", therefore they suck.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 2:36:59 PM EDT
[#48]
If these guys tried to stop me, I'd make him a hood ornament.  No fucking way I'd stop for someone who looks like a Mexican highway robber.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 2:37:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Spectre, whats to say that a criminal couldnt dress like a cop anyways?
View Quote

Nothing.

My point is that there is no reason for these "cops" to be wearing those masks in this situation. NO REASON !!  If there was a need for wearing masks, then why are'nt ALL of them wearing them ??
All they are doing is scaring the sheeple even more than they already are.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 2:38:01 PM EDT
[#50]
To make my point clear, I never said I support them wearing masks.  Playing a little devils advocate, and trying to get you guys to realize that sitting here complaining isnt going to change a damn thing.  Just back off the cop bashing crap.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top