Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2016 5:46:21 PM EDT
I know it's nothing special money wise, but when my grandfather passed it was one of the guns my mom gave me that he had.  He was a truck driver and this was pocket gun for him.  The problem with Im having wth it is the bullets fall back a little bit when in the cylinder so you have to be pointing the gun downward for it to fire.  Is there a way to tighten up the cylinder to the frame?  Don't have to many revolvers so really new to them.

</a>" />

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 5:48:43 PM EDT
[#1]
No offense but those are junk guns. I had one that someone gave me years ago. I would not shoot it as the metallurgy looked very suspect.

Keep it, but I would not recommend firing it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#2]
lol k.  I had looked it up years ago and saw it was a really cheap one.  I just moved and was unpacking crap and saw it and was thinking about messing with it, guess I'll just put it back in the safe.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 5:51:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I know it's nothing special money wise, but when my grandfather passed it was one of the guns my mom gave me that he had.  He was a truck driver and this was pocket gun for him.  The problem with Im having wth it is the bullets fall back a little bit when in the cylinder so you have to be pointing the gun downward for it to fire.  Is there a way to tighten up the cylinder to the frame?  Don't have to many revolvers so really new to them.

http://s1200.photobucket.com/user/Moahdib/media/20160124_152138_zpsfzjedk5u.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

http://s1200.photobucket.com/user/Moahdib/library/?sort=3&page=1
View Quote

Maybe it's really a .22 long?
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 5:54:00 PM EDT
[#4]
other side has RG7 in the same spot the Rohm is on this side
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 5:55:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://s1200.photobucket.com/user/Moahdib/media/20160124_152138_zpsfzjedk5u.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

http://s1200.photobucket.com/user/Moahdib/library/?sort=3&page=1

22mag?
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 5:59:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
other side has RG7 in the same spot the Rohm is on this side
View Quote

That was the HiPoint of its day.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 5:59:23 PM EDT
[#7]
My grandfather left me a nice collection, in his desk drawer was one of these.

The special thing about that one to me was that when I asked him what a Saturday night special was he pulled it out and showed it to me.  He told me I could have it, but I was 10 years old and knew I probably was t supposed to have one.

Not something that I'll ever shoot, but it means a lot to me just the same.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 6:00:23 PM EDT
[#8]
It's a 22 short, but after reading a bit more it looks like its a known problem and they were just cheap little guns.  NVM, I'll just use it as a paper weight
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 6:01:40 PM EDT
[#9]
The Cylinder can be shimmed to reduce end play, but it will soon wear back to sloppy.

The thing is. Those pot metal pistols were not safe, the day they were made, and just get worse with actual shooting.
Sooner or later, the cylinders let loose.

IMO.
Clean it up, oil it up, and park it.
Blown up mementos aren't much fun.

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 6:01:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My grandfather left me a nice collection, in his desk drawer was one of these.

The special thing about that one to me was that when I asked him what a Saturday night special was he pulled it out and showed it to me.  He told me I could have it, but I was 10 years old and knew I probably was t supposed to have one.

Not something that I'll ever shoot, but it means a lot to me just the same.
View Quote

Yea the saturday night special thing is what i remember reading about these.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 6:02:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Where there's $, there's hope.

Although, you might just go get a S&W and save yourself the hassle.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 6:03:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Keep it clean and as a reminder of your grandfather.

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 6:09:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No offense but those are junk guns. I had one that someone gave me years ago. I would not shoot it as the metallurgy looked very suspect.

View Quote

That was the first handgun I ever had.
I was 14 and traded a pocketknife for it.

I didn't have any .22short ammo, but I did have some Federal Lightning .22LR which would fit in the cylinder when I filed the nose of the bullets off.
I nearly lost an eye when the loading gate flew past my face on the 2nd, or 3rd shot.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 6:09:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The Cylinder can be shimmed to reduce end play, but it will soon wear back to sloppy.

The thing is. Those pot metal pistols were not safe, the day they were made, and just get worse with actual shooting.
Sooner or later, the cylinders let loose.

IMO.
Clean it up, oil it up, and park it.
Blown up mementos aren't much fun.

View Quote

Pretty much sums it up.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 6:11:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Keep it clean and as a reminder of your grandfather.

View Quote

/thread

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 6:12:09 PM EDT
[#16]
The other one I got from him is a SA 22 LR that I have actually plinked with several times.  It's marked mod tex 22 cal lr fie miami fl on the barrel.  That one has killed a few armadilla's and a few racoons.  He used to take me out at night and pop the ones getting in his trash.

Looks just like that one
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I didn't have any .22short ammo, but I did have some Federal Lightning .22LR which would fit in the cylinder when I filed the nose of the bullets off.
I nearly lost an eye when the loading gate flew past my face on the 2nd, or 3rd shot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL good memory.  Made me laugh imagining it though
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I remember those they came in plastic bags with a stapled cardboard top. On a counter top carousel for I think 20-25 bucks
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 6:16:28 PM EDT
[#19]
They did that when new.

The more well-heeled back then bought an Arminius.

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 6:26:28 PM EDT
[#20]
You got Grandpa's throw down gun...
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 6:48:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Go to the thrift store,get a little vintage picture frame for a buck and build a shadow box for it. Render it inoperable if you feel the need and put it up on the wall. They weren't good when new and only worth something if you have a gun "buy back" but as a momento it's kind of neat.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top