Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/2/2005 5:37:11 PM EDT
I think I heard this on the radio.....President Bush has ordered flags at half staff tomorrow for the disaster in S.E. Asia.   Can anyone confirm this?
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 5:41:38 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I think I heard this on the radio.....President Bush has ordered flags at half staff tomorrow for the disaster in S.E. Asia.   Can anyone confirm this?

I read it on abc's site a few days ago..  
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 5:44:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Saw it on CNNs website a few days ago.

It makes me sick.

A US soldier dying for America in Iraq is not worthy of a flag being lowered, but these tsunami people deserve it?  We might as well award them some silver stars, maybe a few MoHs.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 5:45:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine ain't coming down.  Fuck them.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 5:46:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Nope. Not a chance. Not my flag. Not the flag of the United States of America. I don't care how many Americans were killed there, more Americans die in car accidents here every day than are known killed by that tsunami.

Link Posted: 1/2/2005 5:47:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Did the flags go half mast when 300,000 Somalies died from starvation? I don't understand why GW still tries to win over the Leftist media.  The situation there was a horrible tragedy admitted. It sickens me that the left is making hay out of the event. I am all for sending aid, but I hope the US's involvement doesn't go too much further.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#6]
when they start asking for half staff for our boys i'll consider it

J
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 5:49:43 PM EDT
[#7]
If true, what bullshit.
Not my flag, no freakin way.
Here's some flags for em.........
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 5:55:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
when they start asking for half staff for our boys i'll consider it

J

Have to agree here.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 5:57:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If true, what bullshit.

+1 you got that shit right.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 5:57:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Old Glory goes half mast only for Brothers and Allies.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 6:09:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 6:17:15 PM EDT
[#12]
isn't it required if the pres says so?
You same guys would have been pissed if people didn't go half mast when Reagan died and the pres said to do it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 6:24:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Half Mast Rules

I choose civil disobedience this time.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 6:28:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
It's not going to hurt any of our pride to show some respect for 150,000+ dead and the millions who mourn their loss.  Think about it.

Patty

Okay, I'll think about it.

Screw 'em.

$350million is plenty enough "respect".

Link Posted: 1/2/2005 7:13:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

a big +1
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 7:22:31 PM EDT
[#16]
There is no way in hell I am lowering my flag for this ....sorry
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 7:25:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Mine ain't coming down.  Fuck them.

Mine is staying right where it's at...
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 8:17:21 PM EDT
[#18]
With people such as Jan Egeland running at the mouth, nothing this county does will be enough.  He says you want your taxes raised so the US can give more foreign aid.   WTF????  According to this article, he is also a liar.

UN assclown's remarks
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 8:25:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
If true, what bullshit.

I agree with you Spectre.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 8:33:02 PM EDT
[#20]
... No!
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 8:37:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Those Asians can suck my American wang for all I care!  
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 8:57:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 9:53:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Let's have the USA and all of its citizens "sit out" one major catastrophe somewhere in the world and see what happens.  No "Doctors without Borders", none of our elite SAR teams, no money, no food, no water, NOTHING.  Let's see how the rest of the "wealthy" world will respond.

In OFFICIAL aid last year the US gave almost $16 billion MORE than the other closest nation (according the article in the link.)  And that doesn't include private donations or food relief.  

This is what I hate about the UN, and the rest of the world for that matter.  NO matter what we do, it isn't enough, we're stingy, and they'll still hate our guts.......

Link Posted: 1/2/2005 10:00:48 PM EDT
[#24]
This is the first thread I have read here that pisses me off.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 8:03:15 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Those Asians can suck my American wang for all I care!  

thats not very nice-my wife and half my family are "those Asians".
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 8:08:16 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Remember Americans died too - plus part of fighting a war is fighting public opinion.  I truly think President Bush checks with the big guy [God] before making decisions like this.  It's not going to hurt any of our pride to show some respect for 150,000+ dead and the millions who mourn their loss.  Think about it.

Patty

I'm with Patty on this one. Some folks here need to put their righteous indignation aside and think about all those folks who could use just a bit of compassion now.

Link Posted: 1/3/2005 8:15:40 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Let's have the USA and all of its citizens "sit out" one major catastrophe somewhere in the world and see what happens.  No "Doctors without Borders", none of our elite SAR teams, no money, no food, no water, NOTHING.  Let's see how the rest of the "wealthy" world will respond.

In OFFICIAL aid last year the US gave almost $16 billion MORE than the other closest nation (according the article in the link.)  And that doesn't include private donations or food relief.  

This is what I hate about the UN, and the rest of the world for that matter.  NO matter what we do, it isn't enough, we're stingy, and they'll still hate our guts.......

You can't have it both ways pal. You would probably be one to say that you don't care what the rest of the world thinks when we start kicking ass, but you want the world to care when we provide aid to another country. This is not how it works in the real world.

I don't really care what the rest of the world thinks as long as we are doing the right thing.
Helping people in a time of disaster is the right thing, IMHO. Other countries don't send us cash because we don't ask for it and we don't need it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 8:18:34 AM EDT
[#28]
I was wondering why the neighbor too his flag down today.  Now I know.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 2:03:12 PM EDT
[#29]
And furthermore people from all around the Earth died. If the Pres says 1/2 mass I am with him! Chain of command dimwits. Sorry had to vent.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 2:09:15 PM EDT
[#30]
My president said to lower the flag to half staff and I did.  I'll save my civil disobedience for real issues. YMMV
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 2:12:47 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
My president said to lower the flag to half staff and I did.  I'll save my civil disobedience for real issues. YMMV

+1
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 2:26:25 PM EDT
[#32]
If Klinton said half mask would we do it?

Steve
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 2:28:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Our flags at the DOE Hanford Site are already flying at 1/2 staff
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 2:36:08 PM EDT
[#34]
First you douchebags get irate at the thought of your tax dollars going to them, now you can't even cop to what is the equivelent of a national moment of silence.

Man, since many a village over there has lost its idiot, perhaps we can send some of y'all over to help replenish that stock.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 2:38:29 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Old Glory goes half mast whenever the Commander in Chief commands it.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 2:54:10 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
If Klinton said half mask would we do it?

Steve

FK yeah weather you voted for him or not he is the pres. DO ANY OF YOU GUYS/GALS GET IT?
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 2:55:00 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Fuck that ............. the numbnut.

Being President ----------- don't make him right !
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 2:59:30 PM EDT
[#38]
With all due repsect to ANY decent people in SouthEast Asia.....  Fuck that.

The flag at half mast reservesd for American Heros, patriots,  and service members.  people who gave their lives for this country and what it stands for.  People who have done something (anything) to make our country a better place.

Sri Lanka, Indonesia et al - remember - how do they really feel about the USA - really?

Completely wrong for us to put this flag at half mast - as it has been done for TRUE American heros.

IMHO
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 3:01:01 PM EDT
[#39]
I ask this,  where are all the follow the blind  that post here

LarryG
RickWriter
Cinnci
on and on ...........................
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 3:01:51 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Remember Americans died too - plus part of fighting a war is fighting public opinion.  I truly think President Bush checks with the big guy [God] before making decisions like this.  It's not going to hurt any of our pride to show some respect for 150,000+ dead and the millions who mourn their loss.  Think about it.

Patty

I'm with Patty on this one. Some folks here need to put their righteous indignation aside and think about all those folks who could use just a bit of compassion now.

Your a  ------------ xxxxx COC  deleted xxxxx ............
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 3:02:29 PM EDT
[#41]
They are flying at half-mast in Laredo, Texas and Nuevo Laredo, Mexico.

If I had a flag, I would not fly it at half staff unless the President issued a proper order.

As for that pic above........

Amazing how insignificant we are compared to the power of a puny wave. Imagine if an asteroid hit us.....

ETA: Just realized that the President issued the order. Mine would go to half staff.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 3:04:43 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Old Glory goes half mast whenever the Commander in Chief commands it.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas.

Time for that to stop then  ...............

He is a disgrace .........................  proof  by this...
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 3:05:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Edited.

Very good points... Think of 9/11
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 3:06:31 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
With all due repsect to ANY decent people in SouthEast Asia.....  Fuck that.

The flag at half mast reservesd for American Heros, patriots,  and service members.  people who gave their lives for this country and what it stands for.  People who have done something (anything) to make our country a better place.

Sri Lanka, Indonesia et al - remember - how do they really feel about the USA - really?

Completely wrong for us to put this flag at half mast - as it has been done for TRUE American heros.

IMHO

Hey Yee of short memory what did 2/3 of the world do for us after 9/11 sorry I am about to tear up. fk
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 3:09:05 PM EDT
[#45]
The local radio is saying that Bush jr. has said no more money will be coming from the government of the USA.  He has said any further help will be coming from private donations by the people themselves.

Have not seen an article on it but I was happy to here this on the radio since I feel this country has so many problems we need to stop hemmoraging money everywhere.

As for the flag flying, I don't currently have a flag.  If I did wish to fly my flag I would follow the rules and have it at half mast.  However, I also might decide to fold my american flag and put it away for a bit and fly my don't tread on my flag at full height during a period of half mast I did not agree with.

Link Posted: 1/3/2005 3:11:11 PM EDT
[#46]
You know, I DO remember other countries (Germany, England, and others) flying their flags at half staff on 9-12-01. Its called respect for other humans. And we lost less than 2% of what these people have lost.

And what about respect for the "Americans" there that have died? They dont deserve it? If you wont do it for those "Asians" as one of you put it (sorry ass comment IMHO) than do it for your fellow countrymen, women and children.

This is one thread in the 5+ years I have been with Arfcom that really ... shows crappy attitude.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 3:15:51 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
You know, I DO remember other countries (Germany, England, and others) flying their flags at half staff on 9-12-01. Its called respect for other humans. And we lost less than 2% of what these people have lost.

And what about respect for the "Americans" there that have died? They dont deserve it? If you wont do it for those "Asians" as one of you put it (sorry ass comment IMHO) than do it for your fellow countrymen, women and children.

This is one thread in the 5+ years I have been with Arfcom that really ... shows crappy attitude.

So now we act like Frenchy -- and Europe .

Make up your mind ...
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 3:16:13 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
The local radio is saying that Bush jr. has said no more money will be coming from the government of the USA.  He has said any further help will be coming from private donations by the people themselves.

Have not seen an article on it but I was happy to here this on the radio since I feel this country has so many problems we need to stop hemmoraging money everywhere.

As for the flag flying, I don't currently have a flag.  If I did wish to fly my flag I would follow the rules and have it at half mast.  However, I also might decide to fold my american flag and put it away for a bit and fly my don't tread on my flag at full height during a period of half mast I did not agree with.

+1 but doesnt the above sound like a load of shit? after all we lost citizens there. Dont get me wromg that flag can fyl at 1/2 mast  4ever  as far as I am concerned for all those who gave everything so we can be as we are today. So many gave so much......
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 3:17:30 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 but doesnt the above sound like a load of shit? after all we lost citizens there. Dont get me wromg that flag canfyl at 1/2 mast  4ever  as I am concerned for all those who gave everything so we can be as we are today. So many gave so much......

Waaaaaaaaaaaa my neighbor down the street died -- he was a vet

lets all fly the flag at half mast for him ----- you guys are nuts...

A bunch of warm and cozy ---------- feel goods .. god  damn it --------- this would piss me off  if I did not realize what a bunch of nuts the internet has.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 3:18:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Half-Mast Rules

Official Dates to fly half-mast:
Peace Officers Memorial Day, May 15th
Memorial Day, last Monday in May (Flag raised to full staff at noon)
Korean War Veterans Day, July 27th
Patriot Day, September 11th
Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day, December 7th
If your flag can't fly at Half-Mast:
For flags that can't be lowered, such as those on many homes, the American Legion says that attaching a black ribbon or streamer to the top of the flag is an acceptable alternative. The ribbon should be the same width as a stripe on the flag and the same length as the flag. (Now in Stock for 3x5' flags, Call to order 1-888-697-3524)
For a wall mounted flag, three black mourning bows should be atached to the top edge of the flag, one at each corner and one in the center.
Other Rules:
Only the President and state Governors can decide when and how long the flag should be flown at half-staff.
Thirty days after the death of a president or former president
Ten days after the death of a vice president, the chief of justice or a retired chief of justice or the speaker of the house of representatives.
Until the burial of an associate justice of the Supreme Court, secretary of a military department, a former vice president, or the governor of a tate, territory, or possession.
On the day of and the day after the death of a member of Congress.
On Memorial Day, the day set aside to honor all the people who have died while serving the United States & originally called Decoration Day, the flag is flown at half-mast until noon, then raised to full staff until sundown.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top