Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/27/2005 10:36:46 AM EDT
Any P7 owners out there (past and present)?  I am going back and forth on a CCW pistol between the Sig 239 and the P7 M8.  I really like the idea of the squeeze-cocker and having the same trigger pull each time.  And H&K is suppossed to have great out of the box accuracy.  I have owned a 226 for the last 15 years or so and I'm very accustomed to the Sig "feel".  The price of the P7 isn't a deterrent so don't factor that in.  The dimensions of the two are pretty similar and don't bother suggesting the other H&K models or any Glocks...they just don't feel right to me.  What has sold you on the P7???  As always, thanks!
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 10:53:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I've owned two P7M8's. I bought the second one because I missed it so much after selling the first one. That being said, its perhaps the best CCW pistol out there. Very flat, very reliable, very safe to carry concealed, while having a full 4" barrel. Its VERY accurate as well. Head shots @ 25 yards is not a problem. I've put well over 3500 rounds through my 2nd P7M8 in the last few years without ANY sort of jam. Actually, I use the P7 to fire rounds that my other 9mm's dont shoot. For instance, I had some really hard-primer ammo from Europe that no other pistol would ignite, so I put a magazine full in the P7 and it shot like a champ.  I usually carry Corbon 115 grain rounds in the P7 and they shoot beautifully.

It points very naturally for me, I rarely use the sights since its got a natural zero for me. The trigger is very nice as well, VERY short reset, so the follow-up shots can be made super fast.

Its got the fastest magazine change on the planet and watching a well seasoned P7 afficinado do one is art in motion.

On the down-side, its NOT a range gun. 4 magazine fulls is about all you can fire without having to put it asside to cool-down. The gas-delayed blowback system really heats up fast!  Also, magazines are VERY expensive as are any parts for it; not that you'll ever need to replace any parts. P7M8's are VERY well engineered; much like a fine Rolex. They are very well made as well, feels like one solid chunk of steel.

In addition, holsters are somewhat hard to find and usually have to be ordered from a catalog, since the local shop probably wont have one in stock.

I also have a P239 in 40s&W....trust me the P7 carries a LOT better. The Sig is still a little chunky in width. A P7M8 with an inside the pants holster is pure magic.
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 12:19:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Great info...thanks!

Also, what about using +P or +P+ in the P7?  Is it endorsed by the factory?
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 12:23:42 PM EDT
[#3]
+P ammo is not recommended in the P7 series because of the gas system.  Don't put a steady diet through, by all means practice, but I wouldnt put 1000 rounds through it.  Practice with good quality ammo in whatever grain you're going to carry.
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 12:26:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I've shot +ps in my P7 and they run fine.  As was posted before, though, it heats up after just a few mags.  It is not designed for sustained fire.  It is a great carry gun, however and very reliable.
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 12:30:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I really like the P7M8.  The only complaints I have CCW-wise is it's a tad bit heavy and the grip is a little long.  Also you need a good fitted holster to make sure the mag release isn't inadvertently activated.  Awesome pistol though.

It is SUCH a shame they never produced the P7M7 .
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 12:43:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a P7M8 and loved it.  Like others have said, accurate, quick mag change, carries well with a good holster.

Down side was the heat after a couple of mags. You're not going to compete or go thru 1000 rounds in an afternoon without a bucket of ice water to drop the thing into.

I stupidly traded it for a P7M13. While it was a double stack, it lost its balance with a full mag and became too butt heavy to carry in a holster without a strap.

Link Posted: 10/27/2005 12:44:00 PM EDT
[#7]
P7M8 may be the finest 9mm ever made, alongside the Sig P-210.

Wonderfully accurate, flat for CCL, utterly reliable. They even work if their extractors are removed.

Holsters are kinda limited though. Only a few major mfgrs make one for them, check Galco, Kramer, etc.
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 12:51:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
+P ammo is not recommended in the P7 series because of the gas system.  Don't put a steady diet through, by all means practice, but I wouldnt put 1000 rounds through it.  Practice with good quality ammo in whatever grain you're going to carry.

The stronger the pressure [+p+] the stronger the delay; meaning that it doesnt matter if you shoot +p+ at all. I wish I had a nickel for every time I hear this. I've put tons of Corbons through my P7 without any accelerated wear or any sort of problem. In addition, I know a LEO that ONLY uses Corbon in his P7M8 and he puts cases downrage per year. Just shoot away....

Also keep in mind that the P7M8 is designed to shoot European ammo; which for 9mm is VERY hot.
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 1:12:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I really like the P7M8.  The only complaints I have CCW-wise is it's a tad bit heavy and the grip is a little long.  Also you need a good fitted holster to make sure the mag release isn't inadvertently activated.  Awesome pistol though.

Very true. I would love to own a P7 in 45!

I have a HK P7M8 and I think it is a fine handgun. WI is not a CCW state so I can not talk about it as a CCW, but it is a very well built, accurate 9mm.

I also have a HK P9S which is a very accurate handgun too.
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 1:20:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

+1...IMHO, the P7 is one of the finest pistols ever made. They do get hot, but if you want to rip thru a lot of rounds quickly at the range, just invest in some nomex flight gloves...problem solved.
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 1:28:50 PM EDT
[#11]
the only thing that held me back about a year ago was the price.  what are they going for now
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 1:31:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
the only thing that held me back about a year ago was the price.  what are they going for now

Around here, they go for about $1595.00...used about $1295.00. But you gets what you pays for.
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 1:34:24 PM EDT
[#13]
THe feel of the P239 trigger is VERY different than the P226 trigger.

If you want a P239, I got one for sale.
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 1:37:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Brilliant gun.  Love them.  If I hadn't met a 1911 and fallen in love I'd carry a P7.
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 2:24:52 PM EDT
[#15]
cruze5....they are about 1299.00 NIB if you shop around online!
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 2:33:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 2:52:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Never got into the P7, but my two P9S pistols (one in 9mm, one in .45) are amazing.  To me, the finest pistols ever made.
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I have P7m8 and a P7m13.  I like the M8 much better.  Fits better and easier to shoot. Both are super accurate. The recoil is sharp and you will get muzzle flip if you dont hang on.  Draw back is that they are steel guns and are heavy.  

I always liked the squeezecocker because a lot of folks dont know how to use and if I am disarmed I may have a few extra seconds to pull my second gun while he is trying to figure it out.

It does get hot.

CDNN has PSPs and P7M8s on sale now.

But you can find them used  and new online for $800-1300.

I love my 239 too.  Extremely accurate and small.  But its chunky.

Link Posted: 10/27/2005 3:05:26 PM EDT
[#19]
My thoughts on the P7M8:

I'd really like to have one.
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 3:17:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Threads like this make me poor.
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 3:21:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm a fan.  Very nice handgun.
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 3:26:41 PM EDT
[#22]
How is it to rack the slide compaired to a G-17 or Sig?
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 3:26:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 3:27:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

What is CDNN asking for them?
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 3:28:54 PM EDT
[#25]
For P7 info go here

Cult of the P7

For the best P7/P7M8 holster go here

DelFatti holsters

You would do very well to pick up a P7, you will find that they are the best CCW carry pistol by far
read the cult website, you'll be hooked too

Link Posted: 10/27/2005 3:31:05 PM EDT
[#26]
I hated my P7.  I'm a big guy with big hands: the P7 felt like holding a 2x4.  It was uncomfortable as heck.  Traded it in on a Sig P226, which fits my hand like a glove.

Merlin
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 3:31:51 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is CDNN asking for them?

Something like $845 for the PSP and $1259 for a P7
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 3:33:15 PM EDT
[#28]

How is it to rack the slide compaired to a G-17 or Sig?

To manually rack the slide is a bit harder w/ the P7M8 as you have less slide to grab if you follow my meaning.  I shoot my P7 & 1911's primarily so if I go from a 1911 to the P7 I immediately notice the difference.   As far as spring resistance, it's not a factor at all.

Part of what makes the gun so fast is that the slide only recoils maybe 3/4 of an inch so it's back in battery in no time.  Also when you do a slide lock reload all you have to do to chamber a round is to cock the gun by squeezing the handle and you're back on target.    It's really a kick to shoot and makes a poor shooter good and a good shooter great.  I've yet to meet anyone who's sorry they bought one.
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 3:33:18 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Never got into the P7, but my two P9S pistols (one in 9mm, one in .45) are amazing.  To me, the finest pistols ever made.

I got one of them.  The recoil is messed up.  I guess its normal for the P9 but if you are used to other pistols its really odd.  Sort of delayed push and stout at the same time.

The most accurate handgun besides a SIG 210.
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 4:34:25 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I got one of them.  The recoil is messed up.  I guess its normal for the P9 but if you are used to other pistols its really odd.  Sort of delayed push and stout at the same time.

The most accurate handgun besides a SIG 210.

I really prefer the recoil, and it is SO smooth and reduced - the 9mm is like firing a .32, and the .45 is like a 9mm.

The accuracy is simply out of this world.
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 5:02:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Nothing else is as ambidextrous. I'm a leftie and I really appreciate that feature. FWIW, I've had my P7M8 since '85 and have had 2 rounds out of a couple thou fail. The very first round I ever touched off, my offhand thumb just touched the mag release and dropped it out a bit. The 2nd round failed to chamber. Never, ever happened again. 2nd "jam" was a semi-classic "stovepipe" (failed to completely eject) after 350-400 rnds w/o cleaning AND using reloads. That it. My wife shot it at a range once. Her first time. At 7 yards. 1st round went 3" from X. The next 5 went in the same slightly ragged hole 1-1/2" from the X.  Great weapon. I carried daily in a Sparks Summer Special here in South Florida for 4 years and simply wiped off perspiration at days end. (I don't own no closet queens) You probably won't be dissapointed and ... if you are ... you can probably sell it for what you paid. Stay safe.
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 7:19:59 PM EDT
[#32]
First off I would like to say that the overheating problem is a little overstated. Maybe if you had 20 mags lined up and rapid fired all of them.. Anyhow I have 3 mags for mine and the gun becomes uncomfortable after about 200-250 rounds. Another feature that has been proven is that if a bad guy gets the gun away from you, they can't figure out how to fire it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 7:29:45 PM EDT
[#33]
I have considered buying one, but then decided against it.  The pro’s are numerous, because this is an excellent weapon that has earned a solid reputation.  I decided against the pistol because of HK’s history or lack of history for customer service on other discontinued models.

Try looking for P9S parts.  Few, rare, and expensive.  Same for things as simple as an extra magazine or a factory sight screw are rare and expensive.  Other designs will still perform well, and I will be able to maintain them.    

If HK was continuing the design, then I would buy one.    
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 8:28:56 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I have considered buying one, but then decided against it.  The pro’s are numerous, because this is an excellent weapon that has earned a solid reputation.  I decided against the pistol because of HK’s history or lack of history for customer service on other discontinued models.

Try looking for P9S parts.  Few, rare, and expensive.  Same for things as simple as an extra magazine or a factory sight screw are rare and expensive.  Other designs will still perform well, and I will be able to maintain them.    

If HK was continuing the design, then I would buy one.    

I dont know about this.  I have a P9S that had to go for repair recently.  And the parts were like $66 for a new frame and grips.  $100 to reblue the slide.  They replace some parts for free.  I called HK up spoke to their tech guy, he game a number and I send the badboy in.  Came back 6 weeks later good as new.
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 5:21:51 AM EDT
[#35]
IMHO you were lucky and nothing is wrong with that, but maybe HK has changed their position.  I believe the pistol is still in production in Greece.   My friend was unable to buy a simple sight screw from the factory.  Maybe they have some parts in stock, and other parts not in stock.  My issue isn’t that I don’t trust the pistol, I don’t trust the company.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 5:34:07 AM EDT
[#36]
 The most positive HK thread in Arfcom history

I really like the P7M8...My dentist has one,  CCW 24-7 says it's the only wpn. he carries.
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 6:30:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Love my PSP, carried in a VMII.
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 8:44:47 AM EDT
[#38]
I have a P7M8.  It's probably my favorite handgun (range or conceal carry).  It's comfortable, shoots great, and looks cool as hell!  I love my P7.

I'm a left handed person that shoots right handed, I never thought about the completely ambidextrious comment, but it really is.
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 1:06:03 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I decided against the pistol because of HK’s history or lack of history for customer service on other discontinued models.

When I used their customer service, I was treated wonderfully.
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 1:08:36 PM EDT
[#40]
My thoughts are about buying one right now...
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 5:10:19 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
My thoughts are about buying one right now...

You'll not regret it, IMO.
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 5:35:23 PM EDT
[#42]
I've got three.

Who wants to sell me another?

Link Posted: 10/28/2005 6:21:10 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Everyone on the post about C/O’s was wondering what happened to you.  I’ll have to let’em know you’re all right.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 6:49:31 PM EDT
[#44]
If I were to ever own an HK handgun, it'd be a P7M8.  I shot one ONCE years ago, and its never left my mind that I need one just for fun.
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 8:13:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Time for pics, maybe this will start a fire for ya

Link Posted: 10/31/2005 9:42:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Thanks for all of the great feedback and even the pics...you guys are awesome!!!!

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just bought one off of Auctionarms.com which looks to be very slightly used.  There were great pictures from all angles that showed it to be flawless and the seller claims it to be 99% or better.  It is a nickel U.S. version with 4 nickel mags, matching # case with papers, a belt slide leather holster with a matching leather dual mag carrier for $1530.00!!!  The bids started heating up the last morning and some other people really wanted it but I timed it right in the last few minutes and nailed it.  I can't wait to take delivery of it and put some rounds through it.  I will let you guys know how it feels to me personally (seems like everyone else here raved about it)!!!  Thanks again!  
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 12:39:17 PM EDT
[#47]
One more quick question for the P7 owners...are the mags any different for the american and euro mag releases?  Would like to know in case I feel the need to stock up on more mags (in good arfcom fashion!!!!!)  And where is a good place to get them new in wrapper?
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#48]
My fire was burning already. Just bought one today, should be here in a week or two!

(pic from auction)
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 4:29:44 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Everyone on the post about C/O’s was wondering what happened to you.  I’ll have to let’em know you’re all right.  

Never been better. Remind them about the pic about argueing on the internet.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 4:32:53 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
One more quick question for the P7 owners...are the mags any different for the american and euro mag releases?  Would like to know in case I feel the need to stock up on more mags (in good arfcom fashion!!!!!)  And where is a good place to get them new in wrapper?
Thanks

Euro release is the heel type, US type is with a notch on the mag body. I've never compared the two so I can't say for certain which will work with the other, if at all. As for getting them, hit the usual suspects: Gun List, Shotgun News, CDNN, gun shows, etc. etc.

US mags run about $50 each these days from what I see. I bitched when I paid $35 for mine many years ago!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top