Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2006 11:03:50 PM EDT
All of you have probably responded to many suicide attempts where someone slashes their wrist.
And...seems like 9 out of 10 either do it wrong (across instead of down) OR they don't cut deep enough, OR both.
I cant count the times I responded to "Cut wrists", only to find someone with a superficial, yet self inflicted wound, hesitation marks and all.  
In the fire/EMS and LEO profession, we have ALL seen this...And, on occasion we see the ones who do it correctly.

However; last shift, (I happened to be off )...The guys on my crew, (while having a relatively slow shift with only 9 runs), responded to a pretty off the wall suicide attempt.

A man took an ELECTRIC CIRCULAR SAW, and ran it across the inside of his left arm THREE TIMES (once just above the wrist, once in the mid forearm, and once closer to the brachial area) cutting himself to the bone each time. AND THEN DID THE SAME EXACT THING TO HIS RIGHT ARM !!
SO...he cut himself SIX times in all, THEN got in his truck and started driving somewhere.
He pulled over when he began to pass out from blood loss, and that is where my guys found him.

He lived...but, holy fucking shit, man.
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 11:07:59 PM EDT
[#1]
he hit bone but still maintained finger control??

Link Posted: 6/18/2006 11:10:22 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I was kinda surprised there...and enough controll to fire up a truck and drive as well.

Was he driving to look for help, or to take someone with him?

Link Posted: 6/18/2006 11:16:14 PM EDT
[#3]
By far the worst one I ever saw was a guy put a 12 guage in his mouth and pull the trigger. The only problem was that he lived.  We actually beat the FD there, I noticed the wierded out looks on the cops faces and then saw, All I could say was "HOLY FUCKING SHIT" My medic started to jump my ass then saw and said the same thing.  He used 2 and 3/4 inch birdshot, and pointed up instead of out, the majority of the blast hit the brain pan and bounced forward.  UAMS docs managed to save one eye and his palate on that side.  He's now a frequent flyer and I'm told has developed a few personality quirks.
Hoooooooooome!
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 11:23:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Not in all of his fingers, the medic who was on duty said he could move "some" of his fingers.
Most of the tendons were severed, and balled up, though.
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 11:29:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
By far the worst one I ever saw was a guy put a 12 guage in his mouth and pull the trigger. The only problem was that he lived.  We actually beat the FD there, I noticed the wierded out looks on the cops faces and then saw, All I could say was "HOLY FUCKING SHIT" My medic started to jump my ass then saw and said the same thing.  He used 2 and 3/4 inch birdshot, and pointed up instead of out, the majority of the blast hit the brain pan and bounced forward.  UAMS docs managed to save one eye and his palate on that side.  He's now a frequent flyer and I'm told has developed a few personality quirks.

Hoooooooooome!

Oh...mind you, I didnt say this was the WORST...just one of the WEIRDEST.

After the first cut, I cant imagine doing it FIVE MORE TIMES.

Actually, sort of along the lines of your story...we had a guy blow his face off with a shotgun, leaving only open sinus cavities...and his eyeballs hanging back by his ears.
He actually lived, and could still see "shadows". Although I heard he finished himself off a few years later.
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 11:35:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Not in all of his fingers, the medic who was on duty said he could move "some" of his fingers.

I can't imagine it was more than one or two of his fingers.  It boggles the mind what people will do to themselves that a 20 cent bullet wouldn't do faster and more efficiently

And that my friend is what we call commitment

Link Posted: 6/18/2006 11:40:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't imagine it was more than one or two of his fingers.  It boggles the mind what people will do to themselves that a 20 cent bullet wouldn't do faster and more efficiently

You'd be amazed how often that 20 cent bullet fails to do it's job, Besides, we're talking about people killing themselves, they usually aint exactly thinkin straight.  What's scary is the ones that are logical, calm, and have accepted it.  I dunno why, that always creeped me out.
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 11:47:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am actually glad he did not use a gun..Each suicide by gun is just one more excuse to ban guns.  You are never gonna see a call for a ban on craftsman products.

We get some weird ones up here.  A couple years back a girl withdrew her life savings, stole a kayak and filled it with rocks and paddled out into the bay.  

Link Posted: 6/18/2006 11:48:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am actually glad he did not use a gun..Each suicide by gun is just one more excuse to ban guns.  You are never gonna see a call for a ban on craftsman products.

We get some weird ones up here.  A couple years back a girl withdrew her life savings, stole a kayak and filled it with rocks and paddled out into the bay.  

+1 for creativity
Link Posted: 6/19/2006 12:20:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I had one call 911 one night. Planned it all out, ran a tub of hot water to die in, got a good sharp straight razor so it would do a good job and not hurt as bad. He even remembered to do it the right way...then he changed his mind. He died on the phone with me, before we got there.

That dumbass is sitting in his afterlife right now saying, "It seemed like a good idea at the time..."
Link Posted: 6/19/2006 12:51:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Had a guy hang himself with a rubber tie strap. Hooked one end around a very low tree barnch and looped the other around his neck. Then he just kneeled down and strangled himself. Not really all that creative, but my man definitely wanted to go.
Link Posted: 6/19/2006 3:46:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been to a bunch of botched ones this Christmas season.  I work the Subways, so you can see where I'm heading.  The worst one this year was the one where a mangled leg was left behind in a boot.  ESU climbed down to the tracks and went under the car where the torso was spotted.  He calls out, "Still got a pulse here!"  Lost one leg, probably amputating the other, fingers gone on one hand and the rest was a mess.  I don't know what happened to the victim, but she was alive when they were driving to the hospital.
Link Posted: 6/19/2006 4:17:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/19/2006 6:26:53 PM EDT
[#14]
We had two in one year here. Both in the same dorm, both hanging. One used a belt around his neck and to a bed loft. Dead for a couple days before found. The second used a USB cable to the sprinkler pipe. I worked him but no luck. Dead est. 30-60 mins.
Link Posted: 6/19/2006 7:49:11 PM EDT
[#15]
We had one this morning, walked out in front of the hotel, stood in the street, and blew his brains out with a .38spcl.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2006 12:50:55 AM EDT
[#16]
About 5 years ago we had a guy in Phoenix watching a landscape crew, he calmly walked up to them put his wallet on the ground...
And jumped head first into their industrial wood chipper.
Yeah it worked, but he managed to traumatize 5 fully grown men into therapy.
Link Posted: 6/20/2006 1:15:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
About 5 years ago we had a guy in Phoenix watching a landscape crew, he calmly walked up to them put his wallet on the ground...

We had one this weekend where a twelve year old walked out of the projects where he lived and into the parking lot and blew his brains out. Did it right too, they said there was chunks of brain all over the parking lot.

Of course, since it's the projects, the PD wound up working it as a murder. At the shot, probably 10 or more cars left squealing tires out of the parking lot to hide their dope before the po-po showed up, and they would up BOLOing for all of them as possible suspects until they got the story straight.
Link Posted: 6/20/2006 2:58:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
withdrew her life savings, stole a kayak

she could have bought her own you think!
Link Posted: 6/20/2006 3:48:49 AM EDT
[#19]
That's just flat gross.

We had a guy here try to kill himself by putting one of those industrial fire extinguishers in his mouth and pulling the trigger.  He lived, but he had the worst white stain all around his face, not to mention the worst non-fatal case of carbon monoxide poisoning in recorded human history.
Link Posted: 6/20/2006 4:03:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/29/2006 9:28:29 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

thats seriously one of the craziest things i've heard, and my whole family is cop/firfighter etc, not to mentin friends... just plain wow!
Link Posted: 6/29/2006 2:54:07 PM EDT
[#22]
We had a guy strip down naked, pile blankets around himself, soak the blankets with gasoline, then set the blankets on fire with a lighter. He was sitting indian style(legs crossed) and the only thing that didn't burn was his pee pee. Guy had several college degrees.
Link Posted: 6/29/2006 2:55:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
That's just flat gross.

We had a guy here try to kill himself by putting one of those industrial fire extinguishers in his mouth and pulling the trigger.  He lived, but he had the worst white stain all around his face, not to mention the worst non-fatal case of carbon monoxide poisoning in recorded human history.

We had the same kind of attempt, except with a Benzo-matic propane torch like you see plumbers use. Of course, after he sucked down half the tank, he was whining to the ER staff that his throat was "cold".

Well, no shit!
Link Posted: 7/1/2006 5:25:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Had two recently, one guy actually took his ex hostage in a supermarket, had her in a headlock, made the statement "Look at what you are making me do",

Then stabbed himself 7 times in the side of the neck with a Buck knife  

Had another build a complicated sling rig to hold a 20 gauge Remington 870 vertically over his bed, test-fired it into the pillow to see if it worked, then lay down on the bed, place the muzzle in his mouth and pulled the trigger with a string. He used a light trap load with 7 /1/2 birdshot, and the round did not exit his head at all. Only a very small amount of blood from his nostrils.

Lots of people buy guns to off themselves.  (and the family almost always describes them as anti-gunners) One lady bought the gun at 2;40pm, blew her head off at 3:10pm.  Just enough time to account for her drive home, having a glass of wine, loading the gun, laying on the couch and calling daughter.  (Who got to hear the bang)

I'd say about 80% of my suicides involve firearms.
Link Posted: 7/4/2006 9:32:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Doesn't he work at the Lowes in Conway now?
Link Posted: 7/5/2006 4:45:23 PM EDT
[#26]
My most recent one was a guy who hung himself in a detached garage.  We show up and he's swinging with his hands in his pockets.

My crew was all "that was odd."
Link Posted: 7/5/2006 5:50:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top