Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/26/2004 9:19:14 AM EDT
I took a tactical rifle course with Tactical Response this weekend.  I shot a Bushmaster upper with a 16"  barrel annd mid-lenght handguards and a Colt lower.  I purchased the upper used from the EE it was in excellent condition, but  this was the first time I had run alot of ammo through this upper.  I was shooting Wolf 55 gr with the new polymer coating.  On the second day I had shot about 500 rounds and got  a failure to feed on two seperat magzines.  Then it started to rain and  I couldn't get over 4 rounds to fire without a FTF.  The problem was the bolt would not chamber a round.

I know Wolf is dirty ammo but what has been your experience with:
(a)  How many rounds between cleanings of your gun,
(b)  How many rounds of Wolf can you shoot before your gun begins to jam, and
(c)   Is it typical for a Bushmaster to start to jam after only 500 rds?
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 9:26:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Every one has there own experence with wolf ammo.  Now i have always had good luck with them.  I have yet to shoot the new coating wolfs all i have is the older rounds.  I've put 1000 rd through my m4 (dmps chrome 1:7 barrel)  and never had a failure to feed due to the gun it self.  Now i have had some really shitty mags so that was my problem.
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 9:36:03 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I took a tactical rifle course with Tactical Response this weekend.  I shot a Bushmaster upper with a 16"  barrel annd mid-lenght handguards and a Colt lower.  I purchased the upper used from the EE it was in excellent condition, but  this was the first time I had run alot of ammo through this upper.  I was shooting Wolf 55 gr with the new polymer coating.  On the second day I had shot about 500 rounds and got  a failure to feed on two seperat magzines.  Then it started to rain and and could get over 4 rounds to fire without a FTF.  The problem was the bolt would not chamber a round.

I know Wolf is dirty ammo but what has been your experience with:

(A) when I feel it's dirty

(B) A few thousand, and not one jam yet

(C) Don't know, don't have a bushy...
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 9:53:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I've gone a couple of thousand - I know one member here that has 7k+ rounds w/o cleaning

Never been able to get my rifle to choke on Wolf (though I've only used the older laquered kind).  One morning I shot 600+ rounds in a couple of hours.  I had a couple of failures to fire (bad primers) but no functioning issues.

Hell NO!  All of my ARs are Bushy's and they all have done over 1000 rounds at some point w/o cleaning.  I know several others that I shoot with who can state the same.
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 9:56:04 AM EDT
[#4]
At my last few courses with Wolf, I had a few FTF. As in the bolt would glide over the casing without pushing it into the chamber. Stronger springs in the mag might fix that.

I have not had any other failures after 3 courses and about 1500 rounds at just the courses.
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 10:06:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I’m kinda like Dave_A here.

(a) I clean it when it’s dirty enough to be cleaned (sounds terrible, but it’s the truth)

(b) Don’t know, never had a problem with Wolf, also haven’t counted rounds. I have gone through several cases of the stuff, both new and old, never had a problem.

(c) I’ve had little hiccups with Bushmasters when they’re NIB and haven’t been fired. That whole breaking in thing seems to make sense. Once they have had a few hundred rounds through them, they don’t give me any problems, Wolf or not.

Link Posted: 7/26/2004 10:12:13 AM EDT
[#6]
The only problems I have had when using Wolf ammo had nothing to do with the ammo.  They were magazine problems.  I have some older GI 30 Rd. mags without green followers (I've since fixed them).  I've went through 1000 Rds. of the older Wolf stuff (just got to keep rifle clean) and I'm now 500 Rds. into my case of the new Wolf gray cased stuff.  No a single FTF yet.

This new Wolf ammo is much nicer, the rifle does'nt get gummed up with all that laquer shit!
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 12:24:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Bushmaster M4 with over 3500 rounds, and this past Saturday, I tried some Wolf ammo for the first time. First I went through 200 rounds of Winchester 55 gr FMJ. Then I fired 300 rounds of Wolf 62 gr copper FMJ LOT MP 168-03 (gray case) and LOT MP 113-03 (green case). I used three 30 round mags during each exercise, and only stopped long enough to reload them with a maglula. The last mag on each 3 mag exercise was a mag dump. On the last mag of wolf, I had one FTF, but that was due to me failing to seat the mag into the well properly. Other than that, everything went very good. I wouldn't want to go out past 100 yards with wolf, but I had fun and that's what counts right?

A) I clean my AR after each time I use it which basically means anything from 30 rounds to 1000. I just believe that if you take care of it, it will take care of you.

B) As far as wolf being dirty ammo? It's seems to be a little on the dirty side compared to other bands with hotter loads.

C) Typical? No. FTF can be caused by many things. The most common is a bad mag or follower tilting.

Link Posted: 7/26/2004 12:59:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Another Wolf user here who treats his beloved Bushie like some nasty AK. I have put about 900 rounds of old-style (lacquer) Wolf over the last 3 months. No cleaning at all, and only yesterday I sprayed a bit more CLP on the bolt carrier. My rifle doesn't know how to jam with this ammo!

Previously I put over 1300 rounds of Barnaul and Wolf with no cleaning. No problems at all. I only clean my baby when I feel it's been long enough for a cleaning, not because of any problems.
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 1:15:57 PM EDT
[#9]

(b) How many rounds of Wolf can you shoot before your gun begins to jam

Don't you mean malfunction?
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 5:01:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't have any experience with Wolf, but I've run plenty of Bernaul through my ARs.  The only time I've ever had a jam (and yes it was a jam and not a malfucntion) was one time when I was dumping mags through it in rapid fire.  The barrel had already had probably 1000 rounds through it since it had last been cleaned, I put a few mags through it in about 15 or 20 minutes to warm it up a little, then I started to get serious about it.  After 10 mags in abnout 5 minutes the handguards were getting too hot to hold onto and it locked up when the paint on a case stuck to the inside of the chamber.  Destroyed an aluminum cleaning rod trying to get the spent casing out.  Rifle was fine after I got it home and used a steel rod to clear the casing then cleaned the chamber.
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 5:34:16 PM EDT
[#11]

(and yes it was a jam and not a malfucntion)

We have a winner!

Overall Wolf (or at least the new stuff) isn't all that bad. Don't worry about jams from ammo, usually it's crappy magazines and the like that causes malfs.
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 6:08:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I don't have any experience with Wolf, but I've run plenty of Bernaul through my ARs.  The only time I've ever had a jam (and yes it was a jam and not a malfucntion) was one time when I was dumping mags through it in rapid fire.  The barrel had already had probably 1000 rounds through it since it had last been cleaned, I put a few mags through it in about 15 or 20 minutes to warm it up a little, then I started to get serious about it.  After 10 mags in abnout 5 minutes the handguards were getting too hot to hold onto and it locked up when the paint on a case stuck to the inside of the chamber.  Destroyed an aluminum cleaning rod trying to get the spent casing out.  Rifle was fine after I got it home and used a steel rod to clear the casing then cleaned the chamber.

I think this happened to me once, too.  Easy fix....never shoot another Wolf round in my AR ever again.
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 6:19:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 7:38:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Lots of Wolf polymer thru a Bushy M4gery. No jams to report.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 5:42:52 AM EDT
[#15]
No jams as of yet.  I do clean the barrel and receiver after each trip to the range though.
Link Posted: 7/28/2004 5:35:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Reflecting on the weekend, I suspect one of my malfuction problems was caused by the Wolf Ammo getting wet from the rain and washing the polymer coating off or reducing its lubricating effects. ???
Link Posted: 7/28/2004 6:19:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Total of 8k through one rifle no jams.
about 500 per range trip
Link Posted: 7/28/2004 6:53:09 AM EDT
[#18]
all my failures to feed were magazine related. I have never shot more than 300-400 rounds without
cleaning though.
Link Posted: 7/28/2004 6:59:29 AM EDT
[#19]
This is getting ridiculous.. my rifle is 100% reliable with Wolf, as are the rifles of *all* my friends.

I've had problems with SAPSAN, which is crap, but I have never even seen a Wolf jam. Old stuff, new stuff, sealant or not.

I mostly shoot Barnaul now, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with wolf.
Link Posted: 7/28/2004 7:40:47 AM EDT
[#20]
At Defensive Edge's Carbine 1/2 weekend I got about 3-400 through before I started getting FTFs.  My gun was lightly lubed the first day (started out with winchester) but by the 2nd day it was bone dry.
I was shooting the grey polymer coated wolf.
Link Posted: 7/28/2004 7:55:29 AM EDT
[#21]

a) i clean my gun after every time i shoot, but i tend to put at least 500+ rounds out every time i shoot.

b) a few weeks back i did a full case in one morning and never had the slightest hiccup. it was all Wolf, and it was definately a Bushmaster.

c) i have never had any failures at all with any of my bushmasters. though, last week a friend of mine had a problem with his and some wolf. he was dumping mags (gun was very hot) and put it down on the bench for whatever reason. when he came back to pop off the round that was in the chamber, everything froze up. turns out the extractor had started to rip the rim off the case as the laquor coating had "glued" the shell into the hot chamber when it cooled. some tapping with a rod and it popped right out.

Link Posted: 8/4/2004 3:04:01 AM EDT
[#22]
I own a rr upper  on a bushy lower never had a ftf with wolf 2k plus rnds. I know three guys with complete bushy who have alot of issues after 150 rnds or so
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 8:39:30 AM EDT
[#23]
I purchased a case of the old Wolf ammo about 6 months ago. Went shooting with some friends who also have ar's. There was a total of 4 AR's in the group. Bushmaster, Olympic, Rock River and a kit built gun. By the end of the day, the only one that did not have to drive out a stuck case was the kit gun. All of these have had over a thousand rds thru each and are cleaned after each shooting session. I haven't tried the new stuff yet, but I will never buy this stuff again. For the guys it works good for, Hammer down.
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 10:00:06 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
.... Wolf Ammo getting wet from the rain and washing the polymer coating off ....

Rain washing off plastic?  Are you kidding?
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 10:10:44 AM EDT
[#25]
I used the Wolf Polymer for the first time this last weekend.

I went through 2,000 rounds with three different AR's (2 ArmaLites and a Colt)

And Not one problem...........I am convinced
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 10:25:35 AM EDT
[#26]
There is something on the round that rubs off on your fingers.  I don't know if it is the supposed coating or a byproduct of the coating process.  I emptied some rounds from my mags after I got home and the rounds that got wet didn't have the powder on them.  

I think the rain had something to do with the FTF.  I only had two in about 750 rds, then the rain came and I couldn't get 4 or 5 rounds between failures.  

Link Posted: 8/4/2004 10:33:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Was your rifle properly lubricated (per the -10) prior to going to the range?
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 10:53:44 AM EDT
[#28]
I have shot thousands of rounds of Wolf out of my AR's.  The only time I have had any problems is if it rains when I am shooting.  If it rains and I continue to shoot a thick black sludge will form on the B/BC and will effect how well the rifle functions.

Link Posted: 8/4/2004 12:20:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Answer: None

I have shot about 1,500 rounds of the Wolf with the gray polymer coating and have not had "any" FTF or FTE yet.

MadDog
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 12:30:49 PM EDT
[#30]
This is the wierdest Wolf ammo thread I've ever seen........

Where are all the trolls who have firends who have friends that got their head blown off from just loading a mag with wolf???.....Amazing how things change.

that being said.  I just finished 1k of the new polymer stuff and I had a couple of FTF when the gun was brand spankin new.  Maybe 4 or 5.  I havent had a single problem after I put about 200 rounds through it.  I'm now working on another case of the green stuff, i've gone through about 350-400rds of it and 0 probs.  So about a 99.7% sucess rate, thats livable as far as I'm concerned.

Oh, and I clean it after every trip to the range wether I shoot 10rds or 10,000rds.  Its a J&T  lightweight tactical on a RRA lower, BTW.
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 12:44:46 PM EDT
[#31]
couple thou easy without cleaning

i have done 2 cases of wolf in 2 ar's, in one half a day, no probs
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 1:06:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Well,

I haven't done extensive testing, but I have been able to shoot 350 rounds of Q3131A at the range with no problems.  I have had problems after 300 rounds or so of Wolf.  I had one case that took all my might to extract and several FTF(eed), and 2 FTF(ire). In the fail-to-fire case the primers looked to be the blame, they were struck and they looked gooey but they did not ignite the powder.  The feed issues were mostly cases not getting all the way up the feed ramp.  Whacking the forward assist got 'em in though.  This is not in the same 300 round batch but they are problems I have had over several trips after 300 or rounds of wolf have been fired.

My rifle is a DPMS upper with no chrome, so that may come into play.  Any other issues have clearly been mag related.  Two rounds in the chamber, bolt sliding over the rounds, and mags that refuse to turn loose of a round.   I have three reliable 30 round mags that have never failed me, the rest of my 20 rounders are marginal at best.

Wolf is dirty ass stuff.  My rifle is visibly more foul after 300 wolf then after 300 Q3131A.  I think the sharper thump from the mil-spec ammo helps overcome any grime in my gun.  Even after wolf starts giving me fits, the Q3131A stuff continues to function properly.

My conclusion based on my own experience is that Wolf is fantastic, cheap, fun shooting ammo.  If I had to take a class and function was top priority to me, its XM193 or Q3131A for me.  Just my experience.  And again, I don't rule out the weapon, I just have nothing else to compare it to  (yet!)

I'm planning to buy the Bushmaster modular carbine next year and to take the Carbine Operators class at Blackwater the year after that.  I'm glad to hear the Bushies run good.  I don't want to spend time waiting for repairs while instruction time is going by that I paid for.

Link Posted: 8/4/2004 1:07:16 PM EDT
[#33]
This last weekend I shot about 1k rounds thru my RRA rifle.  There was quite a bit of bumpfiring as well as other firing and the gun was hot.

I had one FTFire at about 300 rounds, and 1 FTE at about 800.

For the price, I don't mnd the trouble.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 1:12:31 PM EDT
[#34]
4 AR's and a Mini-14 and several thousand rounds with never a hiccup.
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 2:02:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 2:01:00 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Yes with CLP.  I sprayed it down CLP after the misfeeds started and it didn't help.  

This was the first time I had shot over 500 rds at time through this rifle.  I was just suprised because of all I read about the reliablity of Bushmaster rifles.
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 2:06:16 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I have shot thousands of rounds of Wolf out of my AR's.  The only time I have had any problems is if it rains when I am shooting.  If it rains and I continue to shoot a thick black sludge will form on the B/BC and will effect how well the rifle functions.

I am glad someone had the same experience with a wet gun.  The trouble didn't start to the rain started.  I had two failures prior to the rain.  One the primer was hit but it didn't go off and the other was a miss feed.   When I got home their was a sludge in the gun and bolt.
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 2:28:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Usually 1 or 2, I can never get any of my ARs to run on Wolf, My Daewoo runs just fine on it though!
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 2:37:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 2:39:27 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes with CLP.  I sprayed it down CLP after the misfeeds started and it didn't help.  

Which page of the -10 says to "Spray it down"?

Over lubing can cause problems just like under lubrication.  Odds are you went from one extream to the other (and as pointed out with all the crud Wolf leaves behind - having too much CLP just makes sludge).
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 8:32:41 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which page of the -10 says to "Spray it down"?

Over lubing can cause problems just like under lubrication.  Odds are you went from one extream to the other (and as pointed out with all the crud Wolf leaves behind - having too much CLP just makes sludge).

Thats a good point.  I did spray alot in the after the jamming started and then used paper towels to try and wipe out as much of the sludge as I could.

The leasons I take away from this is Wolf doesn't work well in my rifle in the rain and I will try something other than CLP to lube when shooting Wolf.  Based on the comments here and my experience Wold will sludge up your gun in the rain or if over lubed.

I am will to shoot a case of another brand of ammo in the wet to make sure it is not a gun issue.  Any excuse to shoot more.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 12:27:42 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This is the wierdest Wolf ammo thread I've ever seen........

Where are all the trolls who have firends who have friends that got their head blown off from just loading a mag with wolf???.....Amazing how things change.

I've been thinking the same thing for the last several months. I remember the days when anyone asked about Wolf, all the people that would jump down their throats for even considering using Wolf. The current Tacpoint battles remind a lot of the Wolf battles from years past.

Glad somebody remembers.... I tried to make the comment "try it, if you dont like it, dont buy it again."  about a year or so ago, and I got called a.......
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 12:59:33 PM EDT
[#43]
I would answer 0 as well.
Most problems I have seen are ill lubricated AR's and weak magazine springs.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top