Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/5/2004 7:20:08 PM EDT
You know, in all my years of messing around with AR type rifles, I've never actually changed a stock on one! Never! I've taken down the upper many times for cleaning, I've removed and replaced handguards, etc. But I've never yet changed a stock!

With the AWB evaporating, I plan to add these telescoping stocks to all my carbines and would like to know the procedure for doing so. How much trouble is it to remove the old A2 stock and add the new one? What tools are needed?

Thanks.

-CH
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 7:25:16 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are in any way mechanically inclined it will be no problem. Just make sure that when you remove the A2, do it slooooowly. There is the rear takedown pin spring that is held in place by the buttstock that can go flying across the room if you are not careful. To install the telestock you will need this www.bushmaster.com/shopping/gunsmith/223-telewrench2.asp And this www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=195491 maybe helpful.
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 7:27:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Takes about 3 minutes, less once you know how.
Only tools you need are a screw driver to remove the old stock,
an adjustable wrench to unscrew the buffer tube, and optionally,
a wrench to torque the nut that retains the tele-stock.

Remove the buffer and spring
Unscrew the the existing stock (careful not to lose the spring that pushes against the pivot pin stop)
Remove the buffer tube (dont lose the buffer retaining pin/spring)
Install the tel-stock in reverse order.

It's self explanatory once you see it.
I think we are going to see this post again and again in about a month!!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 8:17:20 PM EDT
[#3]
a metal pipe that fits over the wrench may help you, depending on how tightly the receiver extention (buffer tube) is on.  I know the stocks I have removed were a pain to come off at first.
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 8:29:38 PM EDT
[#4]

a metal pipe that fits over the wrench may help you, depending on how tightly the receiver extention (buffer tube) is on. I know the stocks I have removed were a pain to come off at first.

Vinie,

Man, you can say that again.  Some of those stinking things can be TIGHT

Doc
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 8:29:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I was glancing at that thread that cnorton posted and I have a confession. Of all the times I've installed new stocks, whether collapsable or A2, I've never used moly grease on the tube threads when installing/reinstalling it. Maybe I'll get around to doing it one day.
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 9:07:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I removed my collapsable stock earlier this evening in preperation for my ACE "entry" stock to arrive and was wondering what the tiny spring that I crushed between the stock and the receiver was for? I ruined about 1/3 of it so I cut it,stretched it and put it back in the little hole in the receiver. What the heck is that spring for, and should I try to find a replacment one since I damaged it?
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 9:11:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I removed my collapsable stock earlier this evening in preperation for my ACE "entry" stock to arrive and was wondering what the tiny spring that I crushed between the stock and the receiver was for? I ruined about 1/3 of it so I cut it,stretched it and put it back in the little hole in the receiver. What the heck is that spring for, and should I try to find a replacment one since I damaged it?

That spring hold the takedown pin detent. Keeps the takedown pin from falling out when you seperate your upper and lower. I'd replace it, if only because it would bug me knowing it's messed up.
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 9:21:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks.It is bugging me that it's screwed up and it's in my gun so I suppose I'll see if  Bushmaster can send me one .I would assume.
I just looked in my manual ( which I should have done earlier!) and found the part# for the takedown pin spring. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 9:00:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
With the AWB evaporating, I plan to add these telescoping stocks to all my carbines and would like to know the procedure for doing so. How much trouble is it to remove the old A2 stock and add the new one? What tools are needed?

Thanks.

-CH

bottom of this page; ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 12:05:58 PM EDT
[#10]
How important is it (or not) for the replacement buffer tube to be as tight as the factory one that gets removed?
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 12:12:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
How important is it (or not) for the replacement buffer tube to be as tight as the factory one that gets removed?

Screw it so that the end of the tube catches the buffer retainer lip. this keeps the buffer retainer (4 in the diagram) from popping out because there is a spring underneath (5 in the diagram).

www.ar15.com/content/guides/parts/lowerReceiver.html
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 3:47:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Oook above under Information - in the Manuals and Downloads area is the -23&P.

Download it.

Read it (especially Chapter 3 which has all the info on changing parts you will need).

Learn it.

If you have that manual you can install just about anything.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 3:54:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If you are in any way mechanically inclined it will be no problem. Just make sure that when you remove the A2, do it slooooowly. There is the rear takedown pin spring that is held in place by the buttstock that can go flying across the room if you are not careful. To install the telestock you will need this www.bushmaster.com/shopping/gunsmith/223-telewrench2.asp And this www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=195491 maybe helpful.

Is that the little spring on the back side of the lower that kinda looks like a minature pen spring? Cause I just changed my buttstock and you got me worried.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 4:38:32 PM EDT
[#14]

...That's the one. I screwed mine up and Im trying to order a new one from Bushmaster.hinking.gif
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 4:40:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Is that the little spring on the back side of the lower that kinda looks like a minature pen spring? Cause I just changed my buttstock and you got me worried.

...That's the one. I screwed mine up and Im trying to order a new one from Bushmaster.

Yeah, mine is still in its proper residence.  It made me kinds laugh when I saw it.  WTF
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 5:57:48 PM EDT
[#16]
The pen sized spring is the buffer detent. The really small one is for the rear takedown spring.  If by chance you loose the Buffer Detent sring, you can use a pen spring.  My Takedown detent spring was 2 peices, so when it flew out of my rifle I only lost half of the spring.  I used a coffee stirrer to make up the difference until I was able to replace the spring.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top