Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2005 4:27:08 PM EDT
What is the timeline for the different desighn changes on the M-4, specificly what years did the following come out?:

Year M-4 was inroduced

Year M-4 feedramps were added

Year double heat shield hand gaurds were added

Year M-4A1 was introduced

Year T markings were added

Year Front sight was changed

Year front sling swivil was moved to the side

Year stock was changed from 4 positions to 6 positions

Years any other changes that I didn't mention came out

Also what is the difference between an M-4 front sight base, and a standard front sight base, is it just the post, if it is where can I get an M-4 front sight post by it'self?....

Where can I get a correct removeable carry handle?....
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 7:15:28 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What is the timeline for the different desighn changes on the M-4, specificly what years did the following come out?:

Year M-4 was inroduced

Also what is the difference between an M-4 front sight base, and a standard front sight base, is it just the post, if it is where can I get an M-4 front sight post by it'self?....

There has always been a 4 position stock on the military carbines.  6 positions are a non Colt commerical thing.

RAS number = 1997 ~ 1998

The front swivel has always been on the side.  There have been two different style of swivel

The front sight has always been the same.  F stamped or a dimensional equivalent for flattops.  Standard for early fixed carry handle carbines.

Link Posted: 7/9/2005 9:01:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Year M-4 was inroduced

There has always been a 4 position stock on the military carbines.  6 positions are a non Colt commerical thing.

RAS number = 1997 ~ 1998

The front swivel has always been on the side.  There have been two different style of swivel

So what are the two different styles then, are you saying that the very first M-4's had the swivil on the side?....

The front sight has always been the same.  F stamped or a dimensional equivalent for flattops.  Standard for early fixed carry handle carbines.

So your saying that all M-4's, and M-4A1's have the same front sights as M-16A2's, then whats with the F marked sights?....

Link Posted: 7/9/2005 9:07:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe the idea for the M-4 came about in 1987.

Link Posted: 7/9/2005 9:19:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Wasnt it the Marines who started it and the Army finishing it.The Army is larger so it didnt realy take off until they got behind it.First ones I beleive were in use in 91..A2 burst style fixed handle then became standard in 1993.I think 97 or 98 for the M4A1 or model#927.The 653 carbine I think was the first time the 14.5 legnth was used in this case a pencil barrel 1/12 twist.
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 12:09:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I got issued my M4A1 with SOPMOD kit in the begining of 95'.  M4 wasn't standardized till after the GW1.  First M4 had a fixed carrying handle and burst.  M4A1 has always had removeable carrying handle and auto.

CD
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 2:21:55 AM EDT
[#6]
If someone could put together a photo timeline about the evolution of the M4 that would be cool.

That would be a good idea for a  tacked thread to get ideas of off for future builds or modifications!
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 7:16:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Year M-4 was inroduced

That is alot of questions, I covered some of that stuff in these two threads:

M4gery:

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=231110

M4A1 clone:

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=229465

Link Posted: 7/10/2005 7:17:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If someone could put together a photo timeline about the evolution of the M4 that would be cool.

That would be a good idea for a  tacked thread to get ideas of off for future builds or modifications!

Will do that, might be a year or so before I get to it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 7:18:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Ooops, guess those two threads dropped off into the archive.
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 12:02:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Year M-4 was inroduced

RAS number = 1997 ~ 1998

So what are the two different styles then, are you saying that the very first M-4's had the swivil on the side?....

So your saying that all M-4's, and M-4A1's have the same front sights as M-16A2's, then whats with the F marked sights?....

A side swivel is spec for a M4 or M4A1.  There are two different styles.  One with a reversible block for either a .750 or .625 bbl. that was used up to about 1998.  The current one is only for a .750 bbl.   Look at a LE6920 and you can see it.

I am not saying M4s and M4A1s have the same front sight as a M16A2.  All flattops have a F stamped FSB or a dimensional equivalent reguardless of the gun being a rifle or carbine.

Anything with a fixed handle is has a standard FSB.
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 12:07:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Year M-4 was inroduced

Large scale production and deliveries started in 1994.  Became Standard A in 1995.  

Prior to production.

Prior to production

Not sure on that, I have a 1995 M4 upper with no T marks.

Prior to production.

Far as I can tell Colt's delivered them from the get go with the side swivel, and there are two variations.

Did not happen.

1995 Colt's/Swan flat top upper was adopted
???? blue extractor spring/buffer replaced with black buffer
1998? M4A1 offered with optional heavy barrel
1998? flash hider peel washer changed to crush washer (just a guess on the date)
2002 new buttstock
2003 black extractor spring/buffer replaced with gold spring
2003 M4A1 standard with heavy barrel

The F maked FSB used with the flat top upper is taller at the point were the front sight post screws in.  The front sight post is the same as used on the M16A2.

Where can I get a correct removeable carry handle?

The EE.
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 12:29:35 PM EDT
[#12]
When you say heavy barrel do you mean government profile heavy from the front sights forward, but light under the handgaurds, or heavy all the way back except for the M-203 cut?....

Do the 14.5 inch barrels Bushmaster offers have the higher front sight base, or the standard front sight base?....
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 12:31:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Heavy all the way back, with 203 cuts forward and behind the FSB.
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 1:30:50 PM EDT
[#14]
The front sight post on a modern carbine tapers slightly.  On a rifle, the post is straight.  The carbine post tapers to a narrower thickness to give the same sight picture as a rifle.

In other words, the post will appear the same thickness even though one is farther away (rifle) and one is closer (carbine).

SAW has both posts.  I can post pictures if anybody wants to see them.
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 3:31:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The front sight post on a modern carbine tapers slightly.  On a rifle, the post is straight.  The carbine post tapers to a narrower thickness to give the same sight picture as a rifle.

In other words, the post will appear the same thickness even though one is farther away (rifle) and one is closer (carbine).

SAW has both posts.  I can post pictures if anybody wants to see them.

You are refering to commercial Colt' items, the USGI M4/A1 front sight post is the same as the M16A2/A3/A4.
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 4:14:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Are you sure?  I have 14.5" bbl with the tapered post.

Link Posted: 7/10/2005 4:19:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, commerical M4's use a different front sight post, and they used the gold extractor spring before the USGI ones did.
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 5:29:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Will do that, might be a year or so before I get to it.

Oh so you think I got a year to sit on my latest build and wait!!!!

Just kiddin' ya! That would be cool.
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 5:32:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Oh so you think I got a year to sit on my latest build and wait!!!!

Just kiddin' ya! That would be cool.

Well, most of the info is right there in my above post.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 12:55:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Were there ever any millitary M-4, or M-4A1 barrels made in government profile, light under the handgaurds heavy in front with only a forward M-203 cut?....
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 9:21:13 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Were there ever any millitary M-4, or M-4A1 barrels made in government profile, light under the handgaurds heavy in front with only a forward M-203 cut?....

That is how most M4 and M4A1 barrels are.  All M4 carbines have a government profile barrel.

The midweight barrel was an option on a M4A1 before 2003.  After 2003 it became standard and the government profile became the option on the M4A1.

Link Posted: 7/17/2005 5:11:11 AM EDT
[#22]
The MIL-SPEC for the M4 was dated 1 APR 1987.  The spec for the M4A1 was dated 31 Jan 1994.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 7:10:07 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The MIL-SPEC for the M4 was dated 1 APR 1987.  The spec for the M4A1 was dated 31 Jan 1994.

Hey, cool info, got a source for that?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top