Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2005 7:51:44 AM EDT
Hello everyone - - To give you some background - - I'm fairly new to AR-15 style rifles. The only one I currently have is a Bushmaster BAR-10 .308. - - I'm often out in rural open country areas so prefer a .308 for 'social work'. (I have several DSA FAL rifles in .308 and also tactical bolt guns in this chambering.)  But, I would also like to get an AR-15 in .223. It would be used if I was ever in an urban setting, and for plinking and fun. - - - I'd like to get a new .223 that was as light and compact as possible. (Heck, if I'm gonna carry something heavy and big I might as well carry one of my .308s ! )  I've looked at one of the Bushmaster Carbon 15 97S rifles and was impressed by its extreme light weight. It looks like it would be a breeze to carry. Being able to easily take off the buttstock makes it very compact for storage. I've read some of the posts on this forum and still wonder a bit about its durability though. - - - Anyway, what would you suggest in a .223 AR-15 that is as light and compact as possible ?  I'd like something that is 'off the shelf' (I'm short on time right now so don't want to build something) and readily available (don't want to wait 3 months to get it). - - After reading some of the accounts of our troops experiences of the poor performance of their short barrel M-4s on the bad guys I'm leaning toward a rifle with a barrel of at least 16" (actual rifled barrel not including flash hider). - - You may want to comment on this too. - - - - Thank you in advance for your input - -
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 8:14:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I would personally would stay away from carbon fiber receivers. The weight savings are not significant enough to risk using a much more fragile material.

I would suggest one of these two carbines...

Colt AR-15A2 Gov't Carbine

or

Bushmaster Superlight w/ TeleStock

Colt lists the weight of their model as 5.8lbs empty. BM does not list the weight of theirs but it should be close to the same. Me personally, that would be light enough and wouldn't feel any need to get significantly lighter.

The biggest difference between these two would be the barrel's twist rate. The Colt uses a 1/7 twist. BM use a 1/9 twist and BM will give you a choice of A2 or A3 upper receiver. Either one should serve you well.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 8:16:25 AM EDT
[#2]
My 6520 wieghs in at 4.9 pounds with out ammo
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 8:27:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

That's weird. I wonder why Colt has it listed as almost a full pound heavier?
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 8:58:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Stick with Bushmaster.  Thier products can't be beat, and the customer service is unmatched.  Stay away from the carbon fiber receiver, I would look into the Bushmaster "SuperLight Carbines"  they are available with A2 or A3 receivers and either a 6 position collapsible stock or a "Stubby" A2 stock (which is 1/2 Lb lighter than the collapsible).  They come with Bushmaster's lightest weight 16" barrel.  The A2 model  runs about $1,050.  The A3 will cost you a hundo more.  Enjoy your new rifle.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 9:08:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's weird. I wonder why Colt has it listed as almost a full pound heavier?

I'm interested in this also, I built a Bushmaster superlight with a flat top and it weighs 6.8 pounds with the carry handle and a Heavy buffer but my buddy's SP1 carbine with no forward assist or brass deflector weighs 6 pounds even. I understand the stock on that one is heavier but not a full pound heavier.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 9:17:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 7/13/2005 9:18:36 AM EDT
[#7]
any ar 15 will fit the bill. it's when you start adding lights, lasers, grips, bipods and all other sorts of tactical bling bling that you get the weight.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 9:26:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd go with a BM 16" superlight with a flat top upper (if using optics) or A1 upper (if no optics) and the older style CAR stock.  The fiberite (sp?) stocks are both lighter and more compact than the M4-style stocks, though they may be slighly less comfortable.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 9:30:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'd go with a BM 16" superlight with a flat top upper (if using optics) or A1 upper (if no optics) and the older style CAR stock.  The fiberite (sp?) stocks are both lighter and more compact than the M4-style stocks, though they may be slighly less comfortable.

If you know, how does the ACE ARUL stock compare, weight-wise?  I bought one but haven't installed it on anything yet.  I would think it would be lighter than even the old CARs...

ETA:  I found this on their website:  AR15 Ultra Lite Stock. The lightest AR stock ever devised! Weighs only 142g ( approximately 5 oz )! An AR15 A2 stock weighs 390g ( 14 oz.)...
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 10:18:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I have no experience with them.  IIRC, fiberite CAR stocks run about 5 oz as well.  The ACE is made of mostly aluminum, including the sling mount/reinforcement up by the receiver, so the weight may be slightly less, but at the cost of adjustability.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 10:25:32 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have no experience with them.  IIRC, fiberite CAR stocks run about 5 oz as well.  The ACE is made of mostly aluminum, including the sling mount/reinforcement up by the receiver, so the weight may be slightly less, but at the cost of adjustability.

Gotcha!  I prefer/am used to/train exclusively with A1-length stocks (or adjustables set at the A1 length), so adjustability isn't an issue for me (except for compact storage/transport, of course) - but I realize a lot of folks like the versatility of an adjustable stock.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 10:54:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I've got a Bushmaster Lightweight with the A3 flattop and it is very light.
The accuracy is excellent considering the barrel profile, it does heat up quickly though.
I've found that installing the M4 handguards helps allot with the heat.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 12:09:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 5:57:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks guys for your helpful suggestions, I appreciate it. - - - I did some more research on this website and others and have decided to go with a Colt 6920. This is an M-4 style rifle with a 16" barrel, removable carry handle, and collapsible buttstock. - - I decided that I preferred a 1:7 twist. - - - - - After considering the application of this carbine, I thought it best to go with what's proven in terms of hard field use rather than going with carbon. With loaded magazine this set-up, (though not super-duper light), I think will be light enough. In any case, it be a lot lighter than one of my fully loaded .308 battle rifles !  Thanks again - - Pointshoot
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 6:11:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Look for an Old Colt SP1 Carbine, Still one of the lightest ARs I have shot,
And they are very reliable to boot!!
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 10:25:38 AM EDT
[#16]
We have a lot of Colt and Bushmaster owners out there that support these products well. They are some of the best AR's made today. However, there are alternatives that are just as reliable and, IMHO, built with equal quality. I made a decision to purchase a DPMS Panther Carbine (RFA2-PCAR) which had the 6 pos. telestock, Glacier Handguards, A2 upper receiver, and 11.5" HBAR with a 5.5" FH. The weapon (empty) weighs 6.9 lbs. This AR retails for around $790 now. In comparing this to a Colt or Bushmaster, I would say that the DPMS Pather Carbine is just as fine. RRA, DSA, and Armalite also make fine ARs.

Link Posted: 7/15/2005 10:45:50 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a Bushy Carbon 15, as well as an E2S aluminum reciever model, and both have performed extremely well. I mainly shoot XM193. I think the carbon recievers will get more acceptance in the future, but we'll see. Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 11:06:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Stick with the Colt R6520.  I have one and have fired a few other variations.  Its my personal favorite because it handles well...but thats just my opinion...and you know what they say about them.  Do alot of looking and get what YOU like... not what other people say is the best.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top