Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/18/2005 8:35:07 AM EDT
a) Two person and a mallet
b) File the TD grip
c) Both a) and b)
d) Heat up the TD grip to 500 F so its gets very soft and loose
e) Something else I haven't thought of ....
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 8:38:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Not that I have an answer, but.....

Are you sure you have a REAL TD vertical grip?    I have heard there are some immitations out there that don't fit very well.

I also thought I read somewhere somebody was complaining about the YHM rails not being to mil spec.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 8:39:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Dremel your TDVG. I had to with my YHM and TDVG.

That's the main reason why I sold the YHM HG and went with the MidWest Industries HG.

YHM's early production run on these HG's was flawed slightly. It has since been corrected.
You probably got a hold of one of the out of spec HG's.

HS1
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 8:46:02 AM EDT
[#3]

...YHM's early production run on these HG's was flawed slightly. It has since been corrected.
You probably got a hold of one of the out of spec HG's...

This is the YHM LW FF midlenght rail forearm (YHM-9634), not the handguard.
It is also a recent production. Got it 2-3 months ago (new).

I got the TD grip from JSE Surplus.
I know they sell Leapers stuff, but this TD grip was sealed in the original package w instructions... looks like the real deal.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 8:47:27 AM EDT
[#4]
TD grips.... To place on rail, use two people, one to hold the two detent levers and one to tap it with a hammer....  once in place never take it off...  it's now part of your weapon.....LOL  nice grips but what a bitch to put on ...
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 8:58:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
TD grips.... To place on rail, use two people, one to hold the two detent levers and one to tap it with a hammer.... once in place never take it off... it's now part of your weapon.....LOL nice grips but what a bitch to put on ...

BIG +1 right there!

Yeah, the TDVG is nothing like the KAC/GG&G VG's. The latter being easily removeable.

I haven't tried the Dieter because it's a little too permanent. I can get the TDVG on and off by myself, but my fingers get trashed during the process. Needing a wrench to remove a VG doesn't appeal to me as much as needing a hammer to put on the TDVG on.

HS1
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 9:20:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I put some dowel pins (3/16" IIRC) under the detents to hold them in the retracted position. I was then able to shove the VG on most ot the way, then tapped with a mallet.

I actually worked it up and down the HG a couple of times shaving a little plastic along the way. It would still be a bitch to take off by hand though. It fits too snug to hold the detents down and apply enough pressure to get it off. I keep some dowels in with some of my other little knick-knacks in case the need arises to take it off.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 9:29:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the non FF handguard, and got mine on by myself, no problem.  It wasn't easy, but once I got it started, it slid right down the rail.  I must say, it doesn't budge after it is installed.  There isn't any movement in the grip at all.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 11:09:04 AM EDT
[#8]
DO NOT DREMEL ANYTHING!!!!  I use the TD and the YHM forearms exclusively you do not need to dremel anything.

If your rail is new production, it will work.  Use two people, one to hold rifle stright up with the stock on the floor.  The other to hold down the buttons and push the TD on.  It will be tight, and you might see a little plastic getting shaved but thats alright.  I push it on one way a bit, then turn it around and push on that way.  Just be patient, it will go on and once it does it is absolutley rock solid.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 11:16:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 11:30:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I had the old style YHM free float light weight guards and I did have to file the TD Vert Grip.  It wouldn't fit any other way.  I have since sold the YHM and installed the same old TD VG on a LaRue 9.0 which is rock solid by the way so I did not ruin the TD VG.

Try to slide the VG on and see where it contacts the YHM.  If yours is like mine was, the YHM rails didn't stick out very far from the actual guard.  The radius of the tube contacted the top edge of the VG before the actual rail would.  I filed a very small amount of the top of the VG matching the radius of the YHM hand guard.  Not sure how to properly explain what I did but when it was mounted you could not tell that anything had been done.  Now that the TD VG is mounted on my LaRue tube, you still can't tell anything was done to it.

Just my .02
MadDog
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 12:13:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Your explanation is quite clear MadDog. Thanx.

I will try this tonight (filing the top a bit) and also put some 3/16" studs to hold the TD VG lock buttons will I push it down with a mallet.

I'll keep you guys informed on how it went.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 12:30:54 PM EDT
[#12]
File down td grip, use some gun grease to slide it on. Apply gun grease to YHM forend. Worked 4 me.
jls7
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 3:44:34 PM EDT
[#13]
You shouldn't have to do either of the above.  Use something to hold the locking bars out of the way so you don't have to mess with them and work it on nice and easy.  Push it as far as it'll go, then pull it back off, turn it around the other way and try it again.  Eventually it'll work on and stay nice and tight.  You break out the Dremel and you're likely to remove too much material and have a grip that is loose and wobbles.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 8:24:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Hey, I did it hat- filed a tiny bit the TD VG (top and inside sections that contact the rails)
- Put four of those small L-shaped hex wrenches to hold down the lock buttons
- Rammed it down the rail with a rubber mallet (first in one way, removed it and put it back the other way)

No lubing needed. A bit of plastic from the grip got sheered by the rails, but I guess this is normal and intended from TD to get a tight fit.

Thanks for the help guys. Here's how my midlength baby looks right now:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v517/Sniper918/AR2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v517/Sniper918/AR3.jpg

BTW, many thanx to BrightFlashlites & Eagle Firearms for the YHM parts
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 8:30:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 9:04:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Oh ... I see.

Being a university student living on sholarships funds, a had a really small budget for making this first incursion in the AR15 world.
YHM was the only way to go. They made me save a few hundred $.

Be assured my next AR will be fitted with the proper stuff (LaRue, DD, ...).
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 9:11:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 11:24:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 11:42:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Mine fits just fine!  

Link Posted: 7/19/2005 2:52:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 2:55:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 3:00:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Well,
I have a YHM 2 pc 4 rail handguard.
It was tight, but at least it's a good snug fit.
Didn't lose any material off the grip but man It was tough by myself.
But it's on there, and I'm happy with it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 3:09:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 3:27:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 3:49:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 4:11:14 PM EDT
[#27]
I dont care what rail system you have putting those god damned TD VFGs on is a damn pain in the assI have installed the Tango Down VFG on Knights M4 RAS, Surefire rail system, YHM and  the ARMS SIR it is a pain in the ASS you have to sand the damn thing to make it fit.  If it was not such a good VFG I would not put up with the shit involved in putting them on.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 4:15:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 4:22:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 4:25:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 4:43:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 4:50:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 4:51:30 PM EDT
[#33]
KIDS,KIDS, calm down . The Tango Down grips are plastic, that means shrinkage during the cool time. Plasticfrom a mold is hard to make Mil-spec. I have 5 Tango downs most are on the SIR rails, one is on my new Knights M5RAS and it wobbles go figure. But I am ok with that. U will need to modifed the grip just a lil to get it to fit the rail of the YHM.(((IF you need help with this IM me ok))). IT sucks, but when on the gun they fell great.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 4:52:12 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well,
I have a YHM 2 pc 4 rail handguard.
It was tight, but at least it's a good snug fit.
Didn't lose any material off the grip but man It was tough by myself.
But it's on there, and I'm happy with it.

This can and will happen as well. It is NOT an absolute that the TD VG and YHM will not work together. More often than not though you have to "persuade" them on.

C4

Well,
To be honest ...A little persuasion was necessary.
But to me that's a good thing now.
I sure as h*ll don't wanna try to take it off.
It's on there man. No wiggle or anything.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 4:54:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 4:54:54 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I dont care what rail system you have putting those god damned TD VFGs on is a damn pain in the assI have installed the Tango Down VFG on Knights M4 RAS, Surefire rail system, YHM and  the ARMS SIR it is a pain in the ASS you have to sand the damn thing to make it fit.  If it was not such a good VFG I would not put up with the shit involved in putting them on.

Agree they are tight to put on just about any rail. A trick is to use golf tees to keep th tabs down while you slide them onto the rail.

FYI the ARMS SIR doesn't have a high enough neck on its rail for the for the TD  VG to fit properly.

C4

Sh*t I never even thought about a golf tee.
I used a small jewelers screwdriver to wedge them down.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 4:56:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 5:02:35 PM EDT
[#38]
This works great for me. Plastic cable ties
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 5:10:31 PM EDT
[#39]
No offense to anyone, just my experience,  I have used 4 different TDs (bought different colors) on two different YHM forearms but both of the LW FF type.  I have never used a mallet or anything other than the hands of another helper to put them on.  The only time I noticed something screwy was with the latest TD  (the one in the pic I posted); that one required pushing it on the rail on one side then turning it around and pushing it down that side and repeating.  The rail was scraping less than a paper thin amount of plastic off of the TD.  The whole process took about 2-3 minutes and it is solid as hell now.

With all that being said, the forearms are both the NEW YHM style.  I did have the old style and the TD would not fit on it without requiring major Dremeling.  I bought the rail from BF and when I contacted him about it he replaced the old forearm with the new one free!  It is this new rail that has worn three different TDs.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 5:10:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 5:17:51 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
This works great for me. Plastic cable ties img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/M4-TUNA/DSC00350.jpg

Every TD I have bought came with those inside the grip...along with instructions saying to use them that way.

I have always just used my fingers anyway.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This works great for me. Plastic cable ties img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/M4-TUNA/DSC00350.jpg

Every TD I have bought came with those inside the grip...along with instructions saying to use them that way.

I have always just used my fingers anyway.

I just read the info it says use them for lead wire management not for my IDEA.They show fingers being used in the instructions
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 5:24:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Mine were quite tight, and required that they be tapped down to go on, mine were also early models.  If you can't handle that little amount of work as an AR15 owner, you have bigger issues.

The BS comments and muck slinging from vendors has gotten past the point of being pathetic on this board.  I will NOT buy anything from ANY of the vendors on this board who have to result to name calling or jumping all over other peoples threads.  

There are plenty of decent dealers here, but too many threads have been showing examples of ego and juevinile vindictiveness.  This thread isn't the worst by any stretch, but it is still worthy of the title "swill".  I would also like to point out that I am not addressing this to any particular vendor, there are more than one or two that have been doing this.

Sorry to sidetrack the ACTUAL TOPIC, so I'll stop my rant and simply post another picture.

Link Posted: 7/19/2005 5:28:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 5:30:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#46]
WE need to tack some info about this Tango Down grip to the top.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 5:32:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Damn, my TD came with those little cable ties and I thought they were for routing the tape switch cable.  Now I feel real stupid.

MadDog
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 5:32:54 PM EDT
[#48]
You are right (as I read the intsructions in front of me) oops!  

I have seen your idea before and I think I may have assumed thats what the wire ties were for...

So great idea!  
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 5:35:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Got my TD from Grant.....used the cable ties to hold down the detents and hammered it on my heavy YHM FF with a plastic mallet...easy..well not really
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 5:35:44 PM EDT
[#50]
there is only three in the bag not four. Yes I have posted a pic like this a few times with this discusions with TDVG's
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top