Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 11/28/2005 2:02:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 2:08:06 PM EDT
[#1]
It sounds like the average shooter would be better served having you drop it in and make a basic adjustment as opposed to screwing around with settings they were not familiar with.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 2:12:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 2:12:34 PM EDT
[#3]
wow...us poor dumb gunfighters can't adjust match triggers!  That's why they go tits up in classes!

I never knew!

Link Posted: 11/28/2005 2:12:46 PM EDT
[#4]
What does this trigger cost?

Great informative posts on triggers...thanks!!
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 2:14:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 2:15:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 2:16:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
wow...us poor dumb gunfighters can't adjust match triggers!  That's why they go tits up in classes!

I'll agree with that statement.

I notice you posted this HERE, rather than 10-8.

Link Posted: 11/28/2005 2:18:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 2:21:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I have never heard of a KAC needing to be stoned or filed.  What all does this trigger offer that KAC does not?  I noticed its ad said it sets the trigger 1/8" further forward to reduce cramping of the trigger finger.  That seems nice but I cannot imagine a trigger that is more crisp than my KAC.  The KAC costs more, so this may be a future consideration for me but I would like to see the overtrvel adjustment and hear your long term test.  Do you have a KAC to comapre it to over this long term test?
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 2:21:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have no place at 10-8 with all the gunfighters who already know all the answers.

I know those guys..they always placed last in department quals....but knew more than I would ever know about guns and shooting...

I've been shooting for 25 years and I'm still learning..
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 2:22:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I never knew!

And knowing is half the battle!
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 2:24:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have no place at 10-8 with all the gunfighters who already know all the answers.

I know those guys..they always placed last in department quals....but knew more than I would ever know about guns and shooting...

Well, you got the second part of that right, anyway.  

Have fun.

Out....
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 2:28:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, you got the second part of that right, anyway.  

Have fun.

Out....

I'm sorry..do you know me...nope..go back to 10-8 and hang out with them...I'm sure they will kiss your ass..

Sorry bigbore that your post got sidetracked....

Link Posted: 11/28/2005 2:31:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 2:41:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I have never heard of a KAC needing to be stoned or filed.  

Me either, but it is written in the instructions.

Man, this does look like a nice trigger!

Which KAC trigger are those instructions from?
Here are the scans of my 4.5lb trigger's instructions if anyone's interested.  They carry the date 11-22-04.

Link Posted: 11/28/2005 2:45:18 PM EDT
[#16]
What a coincidence. I was going to ask you your opinion about these. How do they compare to the McCormick units?
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 3:14:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 3:34:16 PM EDT
[#18]
tag
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 6:23:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
wow...us poor dumb gunfighters can't adjust match triggers! That's why they go tits up in classes!

Interesting How a topic about $300 triggers had to include a slam on the 10-8 Forums  because the majority of posters  with real world experience and years of Mil and LEO experience who see literally Hundreds and hundreds of guns  that get run hard continually offer the advice based on what they see that on the average After market triggers no matter how good, have a tendency to be unreliable in situations where your life  or the life's of other's is at stake.

Yea, I always take advice from the professionals who conduct themselves so well here....
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 6:31:50 PM EDT
[#20]
tag for my varmint gun
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 6:51:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Whoa.......thanx bigbore for your efforts and the 2-stage trigger.

for $279.00 I can almost have another upper if not another 511 Eotech, great work though.
Just out of my price range, I will love my mil-spec single stage trigger a little longer.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 7:37:57 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
wow...us poor dumb gunfighters can't adjust match triggers! That's why they go tits up in classes!

.... on the average After market triggers no matter how good, have a tendency to be unreliable in situations where your life  or the life's of other's is at stake.

This seems to be the prevalent theme when it comes to aftermarket triggers, but I've never heard any specific details, only generalities.  Tell me, from your experience and from what you've gleaned from the professionals, what happens to aftermarket triggers that makes them go down during classes:  

Do parts break?  

Do adjustment screws back out rendering them inoperable?  Or at that point do they just become high priced single stage triggers?  

Does something happen whereby the start doubling and are no longer safe?  

Are these flaws limted to just certain makes or do all aftermarket triggers share these tendencies?
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 7:39:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 7:44:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 7:47:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Steve,

Bill did indeed design a fine trigger.  At the AMU we found the second stage weight had to be adjusted every 1,500 rounds or so, so he changed the way the adjustment screws lock (with the nylon inserts), so that's fixed as well.

For those who like the KAC it's a good, combat-proven trigger (we use them in our M16A4 Designated Marksman Rifle).  At the AMU we also give them a detailed check at 3,500 rounds (on combat weapons, combat meaning real war and not competition) when we replace the barrels on Mark 11s/SR25s and SPRs because we often have to junk them and replace the whole trigger.  Fairly expensive proposition, but it's your tax dollars when we're talking about guns going into the two-way shooting gallery.

The KAC also has a slow lock time compared to a Milazzo and the Geissele.  The Geissele has a faster lock time than the Milazzo.

Bill has a trigger tester that has cycled the trigger several hundred thousand times.  We've found that the longer you shoot them the more polished they become (very little detectable wear due to the alloy and heat-treatment).

AMU Geissele applications have been the AR-10T XM110 Semi-Automatic Sniper Rifle System prototype and M4A1 Designated Marksman Carbines (mid-lengths with 16 and 18-inch barrels).  They may replace the Milazzos as we wear them out if we can't get repair parts.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 7:53:35 PM EDT
[#26]
It is unwise to use an AR... the bolt has many more parts than an AK.  The extractor can become jammed etc.  The failure rate of AR ejectors is far higher than AK ejectors.  For this reason I reccomend you stay away from the AR.

Can you see how silly the arguement is?  If you maintain an AR bolt it will be fine.  If you maintain a quality AR trigger it will be fine.  The problem is knuckleheads who dont know what they are doing misadjusting it or not locktiting them.  You can group yourself with the lowest intellectual denominator if you want, but I will use what is reliable and of higher quality.  I can use some critical thinking and brain cells to keep my  trigger running more reliably and with better pull than the factory unit.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 7:57:33 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yea, I always take advice from the professionals who conduct themselves so well here....

Yea, the wannabes/e-commandos sing the same old song, while an actual, real world, gunfighter  posts here simply asking my opinion.   He's not concerned about whats said where, or whats cool, but he trusts something I recommend, that his life may depend on, because I just might know what I'm talking about.   I may hurt some peoples feelings(there are a lot of fragile egos around here), but there are those whose trust I have earned, who know how much time and money I have put into getting them the equipment that will get the job done, and get them home.  

How have you earned their trust?  You know who Harv is referring to, and you know his qualifications.  Is he now in the category of e-commando?
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 7:59:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Sinister, thank you for the fact filled reply.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 8:11:54 PM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 11/28/2005 8:20:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 8:38:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quote from Bigbore

You'll also notice I dont post at 10-8 at all any more. I'm a hobby shooter, I have no place at 10-8 with all the gunfighters who already know all the answers.

Oh, my bad, I guess I missed the "professionalism" in this statement

When you have not one but literally all the top Instructors in their field, guys whos experience totals well over 100 years of combined experience, guys who have seen thousands of weapons and millions of rds and who have kept running logs of failures of aftermarket triggers. triggers that due to thier complex makeup and small set screws that even in spite of lock tite will and can work free from excessive heat and vibration  in a field environment causing the weapon to stop fuctioning, after all that I should heed the advice of a self proclaimed "Hobby shooter"  A guy who's not afraid to Hurt some Fragile Ego's..........

You may want to do a Ego check on yourself....

I believe your comment about  the caliber of  Posters and their experience on another forum speaks volumes of your Intergrity in order to sell a product that has a limited number of units in the field which renders it's statistically  unreliable just by that fact alone.

And if anyone thinks a $300 trigger is going to make then a better "Gunfighter" .... well... good luck with that.. hope it works for you
I'm done with this thread

Link Posted: 11/28/2005 8:51:46 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How have you earned their trust?  You know who Harv is referring to, and you know his qualifications.  Is he now in the category of e-commando?

You must have gotten your name from your past combat experiences. I thank you for your service.   You’re right, I cant prove I’ve earned anyone’s trust

You know who I am and what I'm about.  I think maybe if you were to listen a little better to what the people over at 10-8 say you can see their logic.  I have had a STOCK trigger go tit's up several times, once at school (with Pat, no less).  So until you can:

1) Tell me why I need set screws.

2) Tell me what makes you more qualified than the 200 years of experience that called you out at 10-8

you needn't worry about advising Harv, modog and I.

I have no doubt that this trigger could tick along fine.  Or it could break.  What I'd like to see is an EDM'd stock trigger group with engagement surfaces polished before hardening.  I like the lighter hammer too.  But I DO NOT WANT set screws because EVERYTHING BREAKS.

Stock triggers break, bolts break, even barrels occasionally blow out at the seams.  Why on earth would I want to add more complexity to the system because a guy that other guys trusted said it was OK?

This is kind of like how Noveske barrel aren't worth the money and KFH's are actually suppressors.  Having seen both in action, and having met a lot of guys who liked them, I believe them, and yet I am supposed to trust your word because a lot of guys hvae learned to trust you?

I'm sorry to shit on this trigger, because it is a new and promising unit for some applications.  But it needs a more credible cheerleader.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 9:15:31 PM EDT
[#33]
I love it how people readily admit they cant think for themselves as if its something to be proud of...
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 4:33:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Some of you folks with fragile egos need to make a reality check.

Soldiers screwing with gadgets have given us heavy barrels, vertical fore grips, free-float rail systems, flashlights on long and handguns, and optics.  15 to 20 years ago some of the same guys cheerleading custom barrels, rails, and gas systems were poo-pooing gadgets on weapons.

Some folks should take what information is given (from ANY forum) with a grain of salt, then come back to us when you've worn out 2 or 3 standard-issue rifle or carbine barrels in CQC sustainment instead of just regurgitating electrons you've read or eavesdropped on.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 4:57:44 AM EDT
[#35]

Sometimes it sure looks like the shooting community is it's own worst enemy.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 5:31:27 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Sometimes it sure looks like the shooting community is it's own worst enemy.

sadly, +1
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 5:46:16 AM EDT
[#37]
I have some black stuff coming out of my KAC trigger screws.  Certainly appears to be melted nylon.  Is it?  Is this why KAC failures due to moving screws are rare?  Does the nylon on the GA trigger screws make the locktite work less effetively in any way? Can you tell the difference in length of pull with the trigger installed?  What real world benefits does a faster lock time provide?  How much faster is the lock time than the KAC in thousandths of a second or whatever figure you would use to measure it?  Will GA offer a full auto version?

Combat Jack,

How many match triggers and what types have you run?  What were the failures you experienced in those trigger related to?
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 6:01:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 6:15:47 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
AMU Geissele applications have been the AR-10T XM110 Semi-Automatic Sniper Rifle System prototype and M4A1 Designated Marksman Carbines (mid-lengths with 16 and 18-inch barrels).  They may replace the Milazzos as we wear them out if we can't get repair parts.

Sir:

Are the Geissele triggers being used at all in combat weapons to your knowledge -- or are they only for the competition firearms?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 6:42:44 AM EDT
[#40]
We've deployed only one with a Special Forces Group to Afghanistan in an AR-10T.  They liked it.  We haven't put them in any other combat guns yet (we want to try and break a few first -- we've fired them a BUNCH, so we're waiting like the Maytag repairman).

On our combat (people-killing) guns we use loctite to make sure those screws don't go anywhere.  And we DO do some hand-tuning on KACs.

We asked Bill for a version that would support select-fire, but with the KAC version already available (and Bill doesn't have an NFA manufacturing license) we did not pursue it further.  I would imagine it would be a fairly simple proposition of adding an automatic fire disconnect tail to the hammer, but will add some additional weight to the hammer mass.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 7:25:07 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Combat Jack,

How many match triggers and what types have you run?  What were the failures you experienced in those trigger related to?

I posted similar questions the page back.  I would love to know what these failures are and whether or not they're limited to a specific model mfg's trigger or if they occur across the board.  

I've seen tons of threads of "My (fill in the blank) broke on my AR...."  Often these threads are accompanied by pics and a decent writeup of what actually happened.  But all I ever hear about triggers is that they "went down" -- no details, no pics, not even a clear explanatiuon if the triger became inoperative vs it just lost a stage.  I'm really curious how much of the "only use stock triggers" mantra is based on sound judgment and/or first hand experience vs how much of of it is conventional wisdom repeated over and over that hasn't been challenged and revalidated.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 9:38:17 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
We've deployed only one with a Special Forces Group to Afghanistan in an AR-10T.  They liked it.  We haven't put them in any other combat guns yet (we want to try and break a few first -- we've fired them a BUNCH, so we're waiting like the Maytag repairman).

On our combat (people-killing) guns we use loctite to make sure those screws don't go anywhere.  And we DO do some hand-tuning on KACs.

We asked Bill for a version that would support select-fire, but with the KAC version already available (and Bill doesn't have an NFA manufacturing license) we did not pursue it further.  I would imagine it would be a fairly simple proposition of adding an automatic fire disconnect tail to the hammer, but will add some additional weight to the hammer mass.

If, or when, you all decide to field them in greater numbers to the "people-killing" weapons, could you give us an update??

Thanks a ton in advance.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 10:18:47 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Combat Jack,

Between my brother and I, we've had two RRA triggers turn into long, creepy single stages and a few failures to fire, and several stock triggers fire on the reset.  In fact, about 50% of the triggers I have run have had problems.  Colts have always run fine.

Sinister, I understand that DMR type weapons REQUIRE a precision trigger unit.  And I think this trigger looks pretty cool.  And I have read that you like what you see, after using these trigges extensively.  I don't feel that it is necessary for a regular carbine.  The increase in accuracy is not worth the increase in chance of failure.  Like I said, everything breaks.  We can only minimize the time between failures.  

In a DMR, the mission requires accepting a higher risk of failure.  You won't see me running a nice trigger in a CQB specific AR- although manufacturers like RRA are including them on such weapons.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 10:19:48 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Sinister, thank you for the fact filled reply.

I wasn't being sarcastic.  I liked your reply.  It was better than anything else on the first page.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 10:21:37 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Combat Jack,

I posted similar questions the page back.  I would love to know what these failures are and whether or not they're limited to a specific model mfg's trigger or if they occur across the board.  

I've seen tons of threads of "My (fill in the blank) broke on my AR...."  Often these threads are accompanied by pics and a decent writeup of what actually happened.  But all I ever hear about triggers is that they "went down" -- no details, no pics, not even a clear explanatiuon if the triger became inoperative vs it just lost a stage.  I'm really curious how much of the "only use stock triggers" mantra is based on sound judgment and/or first hand experience vs how much of of it is conventional wisdom repeated over and over that hasn't been challenged and revalidated.  

To clarify, my experience with RRA's is that they lose a stage and get mushy (and I've seen them run WAY too light, for some reason), while stock triggers give it up by firing on the reset.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 10:35:33 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Some of you folks with fragile egos need to make a reality check.

It's not a fragile ego.  I've been shooting these things for 5 years, and have had an admitedly small amount of experience.  Harv, modog and I have met a few of the same people, in the real world, and done some high round count training.  My last training package involved 24 shooters firing about 1800 rounds in 5 days, followed by a 5 day class in which 9 shooters each fired about 1300 rounds.  Most failures were off brand parts.  There was at least 1 poorly staked carrier key, a couple of brand new "match quality" AR's from high cost manufacturers but surprising few problems with the M16A2's, A4's and M4's, which all ran like clocks.

Some folks should take what information is given (from ANY forum) with a grain of salt, then come back to us when you've worn out 2 or 3 standard-issue rifle or carbine barrels in CQC sustainment instead of just regurgitating electrons you've read or eavesdropped on.

I may not have worn that many barrels out (I tend to trade rifles every couple thousand rounds), but I have used a lot of what is on the market.  I jumped into RRA triggers, SIR's, M900's, TAO1NSN's, Knight's 300M BUIS and other things when they were cool and found myself trading them in later.  I don't like to jump into things.  So I ask people who run a lot of rounds downrange.  Then I get something and run some rounds through it.

If I get a Geissle trigger, it will be because of your words, Sinister, because I know who you are, and what you do.  I also know who most of the other posters are in this thread, and where they are coming from.  So I try to take all of this into account before making a purchase.  As for my own history, I make no secret of the fact that I am a young civilian with no combat experience.  If you want to know anything about me, where I've been, what I've done, etc., drop me an IM, and I will tell you.

Link Posted: 11/29/2005 11:12:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 11:32:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 11:32:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 11:54:24 AM EDT
[#50]
The GA seems to be a product improved Milazzo.  Fortunately I have 4 of the Milazzo's and have never ever had an issue with them.  I have over the years used - some only VERY briefly the CLE, Jewell, Armalite (Gen I, II & III) None have come close to supplanting the Milazzo's.  All of mine have gone through multiple bbls and upper rebuilds - the only maintenance I have ever done and it is more PMCS than anything and that is to replace the hammer spring and the trigger spring every other year.   Combined these 4 triggers have seen in excess 80,000 rds.  I have NEVER had to mess with a set screw - yes they are loctited - no worries there.

I am curious of a few things:
- What is the the lock time difference between a GA & a Milazzo?
- What the hell is up with Milazzo? - Is Charlie out of the business?

I think that some of the debate from other posters needs to be measured when comparing low end triggers like the Bushy CLE clones, the CLE as well and some others.  The failure to specifically note that the playing field is exceedingly sloped gives false witness that we are comparing filet mignon to MRE's.   The design differences, manufacturing processes and function are worlds apart in some of these triggers.  For example - having been in the big sand box for almost 15 months - I would never ever take a CLE, Bushy or a Jewell.  NO WAY NO HOW.    I would have zero pause taking a Milazzo and based on conversations with Sinister a KAC as well.   Well informed insiders have said the GA is better than the Milazzo - that is a strong statement.  One of these was Sinister and he knows as does the shop crew.  $279 - pricey yeah, but you get what you pay for.

my .02
1SGA

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top