Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/16/2006 3:38:35 AM EDT
Anyone get one of these yet ? I don't know if that's a good deal or not, I would like to add an old school AR to the family someday. My concern would be finding a lower that would match the color of the upper.

M16 kit
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:42:00 AM EDT
[#1]
500 bucks, questionable condition and no lower? Hmmm....I'd rather build a fresh one.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:57:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I know what you mean, it's always a crap shoot at Sportsmans Guide, I bought some AK mags they had advertized a few monthes ago as "used condition" and 9 out of the 10 were new, but thats not a 450 dollar rifle kit either.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:09:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Will that fit on a normal lower receiver? or are the holes a different size
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:39:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Also, I'm pretty sure that the FCG has been demilled. That is: the hook is ground off the hammer and the selector tang has been ground off of the disconnector. As well as the selector has had some creative grinding done to it. And it is an AR trigger.

Remember the "intent" rulings...

-efxguy
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:44:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, it's old as hell for one.

"A genuine U.S. mil. 1960s Parts Kit"

I was in the Marines in the 70's, and I've NEVER seen one without a fwd assist. Some of the ones we had were so worn they were silver, but always a fwd assist.

Also it says it's not a chrome barrel...I'd be very concerned about a 60's vintage unlined barrel.

If your interested in the vintage aspect, why not just build on an A-1 upper...I kinda like the sights anyway.

Another note, out of the 10+ rifles I had issued to me in the course of my career, only a couple were Colt lowers. Had several "GM" rifles, yes, General Motors. Never did get one the infamous "Mattel" guns.

Cheers,
Bob Ash
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:45:35 AM EDT
[#6]
There is no doubt it comes with a semi auto FCG, it says in the ad that some of the small parts are not original.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:47:57 AM EDT
[#7]
The AK parts kit that SG was selling were absolute garbage. This has been discussed in the AK forum. Based on that alone, I would avoid these.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:51:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Of course, my reply is based on the idea that you will want to shoot this gun, right?

I guess it might be interesting to own a 1st issue "replica" as a wall hanger, but I'm not into that stuff.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:03:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I figure the kits were purchased from SARCO, and you can get them cheaper there (cut out the middle man).  Last I knew you could buy the surplus parts from SARCO less all the aftermarket stuff for a much better deal.

These are US Air Force M16 (Colt's Model 604) barreled uppers with handguards, buttstock and screw, grip, and fire control groups removed from old rifles updated with an M16A2 conversion kit.  You are looking at about $250 in parts, along with a bunch of junk stuff, like the cheapest bolt group, charging handle, receiver extension, etc parts that they could find to round it out, or as they say "a few smaller ones are careful reproductions".  Not sure that fire control group is original in the kit pictured, could be junk, or could be real parts that are neutered.

The barreled upper in the sample picture dates from 1964-67.  Barrels from this time frame do not have a chrome chamber, all my non chrome barrels from 64-67 work fine, but others have had real bad experiances such as this:

www.jouster.com/articles30m1/index.html

If not a former rebuild the upper would be gray, and current production lowers are black.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:22:30 AM EDT
[#10]
No auto sear, the hammer and sear (the one sits inside the trigger) are semi too.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:23:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
"A genuine U.S. mil. 1960s Parts Kit"

I was in the Marines in the 70's, and I've NEVER seen one without a fwd assist. Some of the ones we had were so worn they were silver, but always a fwd assist.

Bob,
The US Air Force was one of the first adoptees of the M16 and theirs DID NOT have the foward assist.  That's only something the Army and Marines required.  These may have been from old USAF M16s which have been updated/replaces with M16A2s.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:02:50 PM EDT
[#12]
... and be prepared to bend over when it comes to what they usually charge to ship you something ...
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
... and be prepared to bend over when it comes to what they usually charge to ship you something ...

Ammo shipping $ $ isnt bad at all..
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:00:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ammo shipping $ $ isnt bad at all..

You're right, they are not bad on ammo.  They screwed me for $14 on shipping for a laser bore sighter that weight less the 1/2 pound.  I live 7 miles from their warehouse.  I could have drove down their for less in gas than what they charged.  My wife ordered it for me so I didn't know until after the fact!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:55:52 AM EDT
[#15]
"Bob,
The US Air Force was one of the first adoptees of the M16 and theirs DID NOT have the foward assist. That's only something the Army and Marines required. These may have been from old USAF M16s which have been updated/replaces with M16A2s."

Thanks for the info Forest, but my only point was that these parts have been out of service for a long time. I'm aware that some M-16's were made sans fwd assist.

In retrospect, maybe that fact was too obvious to merit my comment....

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:35:01 AM EDT
[#16]
US Air Force M16, or Colt's Model 604's are still in service.  Parts like these show up because they are being ungraded to M16A2 status, and converted to M4's.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:46:49 AM EDT
[#17]
i dont think its a bad deal as long as shipping is ok.

cdnn sells the uppers along for $300 but then you have to get a bolt carrier/charging handle, lpk, stock and a1 grip

mausermark is selling his for a good price if you wanna check it out.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=321243

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:19:50 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

cdnn sells the uppers along for $300 but then you have to get a bolt carrier/charging handle, lpk, stock and a1 grip

The CDNN uppers are not US Air Force M16's, they are US Army M16A1's, which means they have a forward assist.  They are also the last type of USGI M16A1 upper, as in CH forge codes, and CHROME BORE marked barrels, etc.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top