Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/1/2007 8:05:19 AM EDT
Is this a flash hider only or does it also reduce recoil? Our tactical team is looking at getting new rifles and want a compensator/hider that allows fast followup shots on target.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 8:23:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure about recoil, but the flash suppression works amazingly well.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 8:32:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Will not reduce muzzle climb, but it is the most effective flash hider currently produced (suppressors aside)
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 9:00:20 AM EDT
[#3]
It's simply a flash eliminator, it is not a muzzle brake.

Secondly, the AR has extremely limited recoil. Follow-up shots are not a large issue with the proper shooting techniques.

Are you speaking of double taps?

A good alternative may be one of the FSC556 by Primary Weapons Systems. They are a bit pricey, but they are dual function. Realistically. More money should be spent on ammo, and more practice. Accurate follow-up shots are not difficult with the proper shooting skill-sets.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 9:30:34 AM EDT
[#4]
FWIW - I like the closed bottom Phantom from YHM.  BAsically as good as the Vortex at FS and closed bottom to help with muzzle flip.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 10:19:32 AM EDT
[#5]
GET the PHANTOM with closed bottom

CHEAPER, WORKS GREAT

WONT KICK UP DUST LIKE VORTEX
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 11:47:23 AM EDT
[#6]
You don't need a muzzle brake/compensator to do fast followup shots.

Get vortexes or phantoms.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 1:46:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

+1

Nothing comes close to the Vortex for flash suppression, but the 5C1 and 5C2 Phantoms are about the second best flash hiders and also work as comps.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:03:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

+1
Especially annoying if your shooting indoors.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:40:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I put a smith muzzle break on my clinton era colt. It is a little large and really makes a diffrence in muzzle rise ( what little there is) and worked pretty good as a flash hider. Sucker is noisy though.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 9:54:45 PM EDT
[#10]
The smith is outstanding at eliminating the flash, and out at night here in Iraq when you dont want Haji to see exactly where your at thats a big plus.  As far as recoil and muzzle climb, not a big issue.  Work on basic fundamentals of shooting and with plenty of practice your fast rate firing wont be an issue.

The only downside I have experienced is bending one of the four prongs of my smith on the tailgate of my HMMWV, which took a little work to get it back in line.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:42:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Our crew chiefs had what appeared to be vortexes on our M240s...

Unfortunately I never got a chance to fire one...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top