Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/24/2024 12:37:12 AM EDT
Is there a length limit on pistols? For example if I had a 16” upper could I put it on a pistol lower and still have it be a pistol?

Link Posted: 1/24/2024 10:27:07 AM EDT
[#1]
If you use a 16" upper it would be a rifle and while you certainly could put a brace on it, there'd be no point. Just put a stock on.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 10:37:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By R71:
Is there a length limit on pistols? For example if I had a 16” upper could I put it on a pistol lower and still have it be a pistol?

View Quote

There may be a state or two that has a length restriction for a pistol, but not federally.  You can put a brace on a 16" barreled gun unless your state has other ideas.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 1:58:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_Man] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Stowe:
If you use a 16" upper it would be a rifle...
View Quote
Wrong.

Federally, pistols have no maximum OAL nor maximum barrel length.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 2:56:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
Wrong.

Federally, pistols have no maximum OAL nor maximum barrel length.
View Quote

I get that and agree, but how would anyone know? They typical local cop, hell even a new ATF agent, would not know at first.

Link Posted: 1/24/2024 3:13:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By gotigers:

I get that and agree, but how would anyone know? They typical local cop, hell even a new ATF agent, would not know at first.

View Quote
What is there to know that would concern an LEO?  If you have a pistol and put a 16" barrel on it and it's still a pistol, cool.  Would the cop be like "I'm booking you for having an aggressively long pistol"?

Likewise, if you have a pistol and put a 16" barrel on it then also slide on a stock, well now it's a legal title 1 rifle which is fine too.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 8:46:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the responses I should have included some more info in my post.

I didn’t think there was an overall length issue but wasn’t sure

I built an xm177 upper and it still has an extended flash hider that I haven’t gotten pinned and welded yet. I’d like to shoot it and figure dropping it on a pistol lower will allow me to do until I can get it done.

I noticed PSA is selling an upper in similar configuration to add to a pistol lower.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 2:10:59 PM EDT
[#7]

I get that and agree, but how would anyone know?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I get that and agree, but how would anyone know?

They could read ATF regs. It ain't rocket surgery.

They typical local cop, hell even a new ATF agent, would not know at first.

Sure.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 7:02:08 PM EDT
[#8]
The see a 16" with a stock (brace) they will obviously think rifle. To say they wont, is crazy.

Tech thread: no one will care.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 2:49:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Isn't what's listed on the 4473 determine what classification of firearm it is? And if you form1 it then it permanently becomes a rifle? Also if you put certain furniture on it (buttstock, foregrip) it becomes a rifle and has to follow all the rules that go with owning a rifle?
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 3:03:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#10]
Originally Posted By -Deathstroke-:
Isn't what's listed on the 4473 determine what classification of firearm it is?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By -Deathstroke-:
Isn't what's listed on the 4473 determine what classification of firearm it is?

No.
ATF regulations define whether a firearm is a pistol/revolver/rifle/shotgun/silencer/etc......not what the dealer checked on the Form 4473.
If you buy a Glock 19 and the dealer erroneously listed it as a shotgun.....does that make it a shotgun? No.

And if you form1 it then it permanently becomes a rifle?

No.
A Form 1 is for making an NFA firearm.
-If you start with a pistol, add a shoulder stock you have made a Short Barreled Rifle. Remove the shoulder stock and the firearm is a pistol because it is no longer assembled in SBR configuration.
-If you start with a rifle, shorten the barrel to less than 16" or the OAL to less than 26" you have made a Short Barreled Rifle. If you replace the short barrel with one 16" or longer and making it at least 26" OAL, it is not in SBR configuration and is a Title I rifle.

Also if you put certain furniture on it (buttstock, foregrip) it becomes a rifle and has to follow all the rules that go with owning a rifle?

If adding that certain furniture cause it to meet the ATF definition for a particular firearm, yes.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:59:29 PM EDT
[#11]
So if im understanding this correctly, the myriad of AR10 pistols out there that are braced with 13.5” barrels and an overall length of 28-30” is not a problem? They are still considered pistols? This whole thing is so confusing.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:41:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Shleeban:
So if im understanding this correctly, the myriad of AR10 pistols out there that are braced with 13.5" barrels and an overall length of 28-30" is not a problem? They are still considered pistols? This whole thing is so confusing.
View Quote
Yea, if they don't have a stock, then they'd be pistols.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:45:03 PM EDT
[#13]
16" pistol

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:29:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Stowe:
If you use a 16" upper it would be a rifle and while you certainly could put a brace on it, there'd be no point. Just put a stock on.
View Quote

No, a rifle is something with a buttstock and a pistol is something without a stock. If it has a brace instead of a stock, it's a pistol.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top