BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/7/2005 6:33:50 AM EDT
Well I couldn't find this anywhere and hope it is not a duplicate but here goes:

Apparently, Hornady is adding a new goodie to its' LE TAP line that is available to ship now. It is the 75g 5.56 NATO round. It is a hollowpoint round and is getting some very positive reviews from the guys who have put their hands on it. I haven't talked to too many guys that have run it thru tests but needless to say I am gonna grab some asap.

Just thought I'd give you a heads up on it.

As an aside, I know many non-LE people cringe when good ammo is sold as (LE only). As far as I know there are no federal laws prohibiting this type of ammo. It is the companies choice to restict to LE only but it is not illegal to own/shoot for civilians. Again, as far as I am aware......someone might be able to correct me on this if I am wrong.

EDIT: changed 'ball' to hollowpoint
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:44:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Good. I've long said we need a cheaper 75 gr FMJ round designed to match the ballistics of the 75 gr OTM load for practice.

Any word on what the price might look like?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:22:32 AM EDT
[#2]
What about it is "NATO?" I'm assuming it's not NATO pressure, unless it's an agency order-only item like the NATO pressure OTM load. That would be very strange indeed if they sold a NATO pressure FMJ load but not the OTM load.

As far as pricing goes, I'd guess that since it has the words "tactical" and "law enforcement" on it, it will be about twice what I'm willing to pay, just like the other TAP loads. I'll be interested to see if they can bump the price low enough to justify using this load instead of just practicing with the real thing.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:41:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Got a designation for this ammo?  Im gonna go out on a limb and predict this is not true.  Lets see if I am right or not.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:40:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm calling until I see a link
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:47:53 PM EDT
[#5]
OK... I was corrected by one of the technicians at Hornady. The ammunition is the same bullet as the 75g TAP hollowpoint but in 5.56 NATO.

You don't have to believe me...call Hornady. Their 800 number is on the site. Hit '0' and ask for a technician. Thye can confirm it. It will be announced in the newly revised, upcoming LE catalog.

Sorry for the FMJ confusion. It is what I SWORE I heard from the salesperson!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:56:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm calling until I see a link

If you notice they don't have the LE TAP on the site anymore....just a link to request a catalog. So you will have to get a cataloge or hope for a review.

EDIT: I will take pics of the boxes when they arrive.....ordered quite a bit for testing etc. I was told they are out of stock from the last batch and scheduled for the next batch asap. It might be as much as 2 weeks or so but pics will be forthcoming.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:21:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Great stuff.  I was firing some more of this ammo about 3 weeks ago.  Using a 20" 1:7 A2 it delivered 2848fps (low was 2830, high was 2871) as measured using a prochrono at 15' .   5 shots in .6"  group @ 50yards using a mil spec weapon aint bad either.  Cannelured bullet and staked primers are a definite plus as well.

I've ordered another 2 cases of the "Nato" pressure 75gr TAP with an expected shipping date of 9/19.  It's expensive and you need a LEO ID to purchase but I can't think of a better 5.56mm self defense round if you can get it.  The 'blems' MK262 with sierra bullet would be a close second choice and more readily available for civilians.

By the way, for all you doubters out there, I posted a picture of one of my ammo boxes in an earlier post. It shows #8126N which I assume is the 'designation' you were asking about.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:38:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Great stuff.  I was firing some more of this ammo about 3 weeks ago.  Using a 20" 1:7 A2 it delivered 2848fps (low was 2830, high was 2871) as measured using a prochrono at 15' .   5 shots in .6"  group @ 50yards using a mil spec weapon aint bad either.  Cannelured bullet and staked primers are a definite plus as well.

I've ordered another 2 cases of the "Nato" pressure 75gr TAP with an expected shipping date of 9/19.  It's expensive and you need a LEO ID to purchase but I can't think of a better 5.56mm self defense round if you can get it.  The 'blems' MK262 with sierra bullet would be a close second choice and more readily available for civilians.

By the way, for all you doubters out there, I posted a picture of one of my ammo boxes in an earlier post. It shows #8126N which I assume is the 'designation' you were asking about.

thanks brother.... I feel so....vindicated  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:52:30 PM EDT
[#9]
ps-  can you link to the thread with the pics....can't find it....
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:13:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes we knew about the 5.56 75 grain TAP but its not FMJ and has been out for some time already.  SO you are saying it can now be purchased by individual officers?  THAT is a great development however and if THAT is true and its no longer dept only with dept waiver to be signed then I have found a new carry ammo to aquire for testing.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:23:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Is there any where a non L.E.O. will be able to purchase this ammo?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#12]
It is avail to the individual officer. The only waiver you sign says that you understand that you are buying 5.56 and it is NOT safe in a .223 throated weapon. It also specifies that Hornady is not liable for injury/damage if not used proplery (ie in a .223 throated weapon).

Apparently this was done at least once and Hornady wants to protect themselves.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:55:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Do you have an order number for the NATO pressure version?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:11:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Do you have an order number for the NATO pressure version?

Quoted:
...........It shows #8126N which I assume is the 'designation' you were asking about.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:29:11 AM EDT
[#15]
If this is true - that you can get NATO pressure 75 gr TAP from Hornady by just signing a waiver - then this is a very exciting development. Well, as exciting as anything can be for ammo nerds, anyway.

I just might buy some of this. Would you mind posting what you paid per round?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:07:55 AM EDT
[#16]
CONTACT INFO FOR INDIVIDUAL OFFICER PURCHASE PLEASE!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:13:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Call Hornady (1-800-338-3220) and press '0' for the operator. Ask for LE sales. You will have to fax photo ID etc but once they have that set up you are good to go.

They can give you LE pricing/shipping etc once they cofirm your ID.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:27:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Call made and sure enough your entire post is 100% BS crap!

Department orders ONLY and NO INDIVIDUAL LEO orders!

So not only were you incorrect about the FMJ version you were incorrect about its availability to individual officers.  Please try to cooberate and confirm some of the things you post here and be sure they are not 100% false in the future.

This really pissed me off only because I got a lil excited... should have known better.  This is not even a new round it has been around for a long time... and I still cant aquire it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:32:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Since you are such a nice guy... and handling this is such a mature manner I will call for you and find out what went wrong. No, the truth is, you are being a prick about it but others may benefit from my post so it is worth the effot.

Ever heard the saying "you catch more flies with sugar than shit"? No prolly not huh?

I hope you treat the citizens you serve with a better attitiude.

Calling now.......
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:49:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Ok...seconds ago I hung up with Cathy McHale (only Hornady LE rep there). I didn't want to put her name out on the internet without her permission. She confirmed that this ammo IS available to the INDIVIDUAL officer. You merely have to do the following:

-Confirm your police status by sending a copy of your official ID to her
-Fill out the 5.56/.223 waiver discussed above
-Place your oder
-Give her your credit card
-Apologize to all the good people here (especially me) for YOUR bad information

She said to PLEASE have all officers interested call her DIRECTLY at her desk extension- 200

...hmmmm  to gloat or not to gloat.......hmmmmm  nah I have made my point
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:50:04 AM EDT
[#21]
If they were wrong and you are right I will post a little bowing smiley and recant everything I said and you will be my new hero.  I do think its possible you were reffering to Federal LEO individual purchases and not local though.  I know Trijicon for example has different lead times and prices etc for Federal as opposed to local LEO.  I certainly hope they will sell to individual LEO but I doubt it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:51:18 AM EDT
[#22]
THANK YOU SIR!!!! SLAP ME SILLY AND CALL ME AN ASSHOLE BUT I AM HAPPY!!!

PS: You are my hero!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:54:05 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
If they were wrong and you are right I will post a little bowing smiley and recant everything I said and you will be my new hero.  I do think its possible you were reffering to Federal LEO individual purchases and not local though.  I know Trijicon for example has different lead times and prices etc for Federal as opposed to local LEO.  I certainly hope they will sell to individual LEO but I doubt it.

Local too...not just fed. She even used Denton, TX PD as an example of a department that does not buy ammo for its' officers and she has MANY clients there.

The only thing I will expect is that you become proficient with your weapon and this ammo to make sure you get home every night to your loves ones ...oh and that I am your hero too  
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:56:21 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
THANK YOU SIR!!!! SLAP ME SILLY AND CALL ME AN ASSHOLE BUT I AM HAPPY!!!

/SLAP...now go watch for the UPS guy bringing your 75G NATO TAP...asshole  
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:23:07 AM EDT
[#25]
and this is sold to LEO only why?

Looks like another "We hate civies" company. No?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:55:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:16:54 AM EDT
[#27]
well..?  Any explanation as to why LEO Sales Only  yet?

myit
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:51:10 PM EDT
[#28]
I feel so left out.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:44:32 PM EDT
[#29]
tagged
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:02:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Because we aren't smart enough to know the difference between 5.56 and .223.  I hate to admit it, but there is some truth to that.  But, having said that 90% of the civvies involved with this site know the difference.  But my cousin that was a marksman in the air force doesn't know there is a difference.  He says they're the exact same round.  Either way, we should be able to sign the same waiver, because there are quite a few ar's in civvie hands.  Hopefully Hornady will figure that one out.  You don't need a waiver to buy the black hills Mk262 from cabela's.  Hmmm..  Go figure.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:11:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Can the Black Hills MK262 be ordered from Cabela's website?  I can't find it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:35:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Sooo tagged
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:56:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:09:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Closer to a $1 a bullet than it is to free

Who has chrono data on 5.56 TAP 75 grain from a 14.5" or 11.5" barrel?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:33:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#36]
DevL,

Order a shitload of it, and sell it to us non LEO's.

I'll give you a cookie.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:43:53 PM EDT
[#37]
there's a difference between .223 and 5.56?
Holy Shit BatMan!  
well put JJREA that does explain it.

myit
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:03:18 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Tagged for an answer to this question
I would like to know the speeds for the 75 gr civie and  NATO loads out of the same 14.5" barrel.

I already know how fast the BH red box is.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:10:40 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tagged for an answer to this question
I would like to know the speeds for the 75 gr civie and  NATO loads out of the same 14.5" barrel.

I already know how fast the BH red box is.

I think this data was in a different post.  A member by the name of SOSNBA or something like that had data on the load. Any team members want to do a search on TAP and post a link?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:20:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Tag for updates.

Danny
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:06:27 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Can the Black Hills MK262 be ordered from Cabela's website?  I can't find it.

Last time I checked it's under the new manufacture red box area.  It's the only one marked 5.56.  It's a little confusing but it's there.   I think.  Yes it's there.  Click on the red box heading and scroll down about 3/4 it's marked 5.56 77 grain MKCL.  Or something like that.  $ 27.99 box of 50.  What does that work out to be?    Over .50 cents a round but less than .60 cents.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:34:01 PM EDT
[#42]
That is NOT Mk262. Only Mk262 seconds are available and they are in white boxes and marked as seconds.

The 77gr Red and Blue Box stuff from BH is NOT Mk262.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:55:07 AM EDT
[#43]
I wonder what the 5.56 77gr MKCL is?  Wouldn't MK262 be listed as 5.56 not .223?  The other BH 77gr ammo listed are almost $10 a box more and are listed as  .223.  I think I'll order a box to check it out.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:58:05 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
That is NOT Mk262. Only Mk262 seconds are available and they are in white boxes and marked as seconds.

The 77gr Red and Blue Box stuff from BH is NOT Mk262.

If you order it, it IS the white box.  They're not going to put a WHITE box heading for ONE loading.  You don't have to believe me but you have no experience with it and your telling me I'm wrong.  Well, thats the way it goes on here.  Call cabela's if you want.   Or better yet, call Black Hills.  Or maybe Jeff is watching and can confirm.????
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:22:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Thanks JJREA,  I ordered a box.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:49:21 AM EDT
[#46]
If anyone's still looking, JJREA's correct.

I've ordered it on 3 different occasions, most recently last week, and its in stock.

Under Cabelas Rifle Ammo menu, its under the Red Box picture choice to click on and its the only 5.56 cal. ammo listed.

The last batch I received contained one box that appeared to have never had any case sealant applied and contained 13 rounds with pretty good dings around the shoulder area or propellant "pimples. Thats far more than I've ever seen.  It all functions flawlessly though.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:00:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:17:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:20:59 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
well..?  Any explanation as to why LEO Sales Only  yet?

myit

Simple: liability.

Choosing to sell ammo loaded above SAAMI-approved pressures directly results in an increase in liability insurance costs, as well as potential direct liabilities from dumbasses who might use it in a match .223 chamber and damage their rifle.  Liability insurance is determined by the actions of the DUMBEST individuals in the community, not the wisest or even the average.

If you only knew how many times I've seen, for example, one type of audio or video cable forced into a jack of the wrong type or crossed over DESPITE obvious color-coding on both ends, you'd know just how truely dumb and apathetic most people are.  The same thing applies to guns.  Do you know how many people try to use the wrong caliber ammunition in a gun on any given day?

-Troy

I agree Troy, but we can sign that paper just as easily as a LEO.

Most "noobs" won't know how to pursue this ammo, much less that it exsists.

No offense to the fine LEO community out there, but I have met cops that I am suprised they can spell gun, much less shoot one.

How many times do you see Federal and Winchester screen consumers on their NATO pressure ammo?

Bad buisness decision by Hornady. I am not attacking them or calling for an uprising. I just wanna be able to shoot it in my NATO chambered guns.

ETA: Is this like Colt making large FCP's lowers and sear blocks? You know the shit they get for that!
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:36:45 PM EDT
[#50]
JJREA

Ordered a box from Cabelas, thanks for the info!
you should be on commission!

myit
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top