Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 11/28/2005 7:54:26 PM EDT
There has been a resurgent interest in these after a few range reports have been positive. I decided to purchase another one (gave another away to a friend) to do my own testing.

Below are a picture essay of the product. It came with high mount. It is compared to my Acog TA31F mounted on a Larue. The two rifles used for mounting are a Bushmaster with an LMT MRP upper and an FAL carbine.

I will update with my own range report in a few days using th FAL as the AR doesn't kick enough in my opinion to really loosen anything with loctite. I will update results after the range session.

I though of putting words into the review but decided the best descriptions are all the pictures themselves.

Link Posted: 11/29/2005 5:05:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice. I’m thoroughly pleased with mine after mounting it on my Sons .22 AR. I’m considering doing a photo comparison against my real Aimpoint ML2 just as soon as it arrives. That winter storm out East put a bit of a delay on UPS deliveries.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 7:37:27 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
There has been a resurgent interest in these after a few range reports have been positive. I decided to purchase another one (gave another away to a friend) to do my own testing.

It would help if you specified by brand what "these" were. Is that different from the TacPoint or the SPOT?

Below are a picture essay of the product. It came with high mount. It is compared to my Acog TA31F mounted on a Larue. The two rifles used for mounting are a Bushmaster with an LMT MRP upper and an FAL carbine.

Why was it compared to the ACOG?

I will update with my own range report in a few days using th FAL as the AR doesn't kick enough in my opinion to really loosen anything with loctite. I will update results after the range session.

Will await results. Thanks!

Link Posted: 11/29/2005 10:40:04 AM EDT
[#3]
These are not branded, but are aparently made in the same factory as the tacpoint.  Supposedly very good repros of the Aimpoint.  

I have one on my M4gery.  No complaints so far, but I don't abuse it as much as a soldier would.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 7:20:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I was finally able to zero mine this weekend, and it held fine after about 250 rounds. It's a great site for general range use, and is very sturdy, as indicated by the pics above. I would not hesitate to recommend this site to anyone looking for a red dot for all but LEO/MIL use. I ended up buying the $49 ProMag cantilever mount  from MidwayUSA after the "L" mount I got with it wouldn't clear the front site base without a riser block. Perfect  lower 1/3 cowitness now.

Best,
BWhalen
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 1:17:14 PM EDT
[#5]
What is the batt life on this?
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 11:18:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I've ordered one to put on my Stag Arms lower/RRA Car A4 upper. Can't wait to get it, lots of positive comments on them so far. And you can't beat that price. Just what I was looking for, an inexpensive way to check out a dot sight on my AR. I love that it looks like an Aimpoint. I was leaning towards an EOtech 512, but the price and reviews of this clone swayed me in the other direction. I will post a range report when I get mine. Thanks to all who posted their experiences with this product.

regards,

Luis Leon
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 1:16:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Is there anyway that you can get the Killflash installed on it?

What is the "grill" on the killflash made out of? Some people say it is made out of some kind of resin that will shatter when impacted hard
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 4:18:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Park yer truck on top of it and take pics
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 4:29:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Is there anyway that you can get the Killflash installed on it?

What is the "grill" on the killflash made out of? Some people say it is made out of some kind of resin that will shatter when impacted hard

The killflash grid is aluminum honeycomb.  Putting one on this sight implies that you're going to use it for a semi-serious purpose....Don't.  I'm probably going to buy one to put on my 9mm AR, which is a range toy...but no way in hell would I put one on a rifle I might depend on.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 5:13:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Putting one on this sight implies that you're going to use it for a semi-serious purpose....Don't.  I'm probably going to buy one to put on my 9mm AR, which is a range toy...but no way in hell would I put one on a rifle I might depend on.

Have not had range time yet but I will try this weekend.

And I completely agree. This is in the upper 1% of TOYS out there, but it is definately a toy. If you are unsure about buying a full fledge optic sight this is a great starter to look into before investing heavily into the market.

But in no way shape or form are these suitable for anything but fun plinking action. That being said you WILL NOT get anything better than this unless you move up to the real Aimpoint/Eotech/Acog market. This thing is absolutely better than any other red dot optic out there in the $50-$300 range (barring the used Aimpoint/Eotech.)
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 7:28:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Are the elev and windage adjustments correct, I think mine is opposite...ie (--> left) moves the dot right and (--->up) moves the elev down....or is this correct?

Otherwise I have the same optic and it's worth the $65 I paid.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 10:01:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Are the elev and windage adjustments correct, I think mine is opposite...ie (--> left) moves the dot right and (--->up) moves the elev down....or is this correct?

I zeroed my sons last week. Left was Left, Right was Right.  Up was Up and Down was Down.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 10:19:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

If you are shooting at a target, then turning the windage left, as indicated, will make the next hole in the paper to the left of the previous hole.  If you are trying to place the red dot on your front sight, then turning left will make the red dot move right.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 5:32:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Well I received my new Aimpoint ML2 yesterday afternoon. This is what I’ve noticed with a quick visual comparison of the ML2 to the clone:

-The zero adjustments are designed slightly different. The clones adjustments did have positive clicks when I adjusted during zero.

-The clones front glass is not mounted at an angle like the Aimpoint. Also looks like a Killflash can not be mounted. The clone has a slight tint compared to the Aimpoints clear lens. This tint however does not distract from shooting.

-The housings are almost 100% identical. I only saw a very minor deviation in the machining angle where the battery box/switch housing meets the sights main body.

-The clones lens caps are not as robust as the Aimpoint caps.

-The switch rotates smoother on the Aimpoint. The clone’s switch is a bit stiff, but positive and of course with the clone you only get 5 settings compared to the Aimpoints 10. I was very impressed with the clones dot and dot intensity, the dot was very round and crisp. The dot actually looked better than my EOTechs dot and as far as I can tell, it looks identical the Aimpoints! Turned on at the 2 setting it was perfect for shooting on a fairly sunny day.

-The battery compartments are of slightly different design.

That’s about it off the top of my head. These pics are not the best, macro close ups are out of the question, but I think Santa has a new digital camera in store for me.

Link Posted: 12/2/2005 7:58:05 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought one of these from Jack through Ebay 9 months or so ago.  I was very pleased with it.

Recently I got into the Group Buy on the Aimpoint CompMs (at $194 ) and am able to tell you a few additional things I've noticed:

-  The adjustment caps and rubber keeper are much nicer and feel more solid on the Aimpoint but I'm not saying the Clone's are cheap.
-  The Killflash will NOT fit in the Clone.  I know this for a fact.  It screws into the front lens of the CompM and will not screw into the Clone.
-  The Aimpoint has more brightness settings but are not as bright as the highest setting on the Clone.
-  The Clone's brightest few actually cause the dot to bloom which is actually a nice feature if it's bright outside and you aren't looking for 2MOA precision.
-  The Mount for the Clone is nice (I got the high version) but the top portion is very thin.  I replaced mine with a 30mm Burris XTreme Ring.
-  The KillFlash is almost NECESSARY due to the glare you can get from either of the front lenses.
-  The Aimpoint QRP is a great mount and do NOT expect your clone to return to zero with ANY of the mounts available with it. Standard Aimpoint mounts don't even return to zero.

-  These are NOT the SPOT scopes.
-  I have a hard time believing these are created in the same building as the TacPoints.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 1:05:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

-  The Aimpoint QRP is a great mount and do NOT expect your clone to return to zero with ANY of the mounts available with it. Standard Aimpoint mounts don't even return to zero.

-  I have a hard time believing these are created in the same building as the TacPoints.  

I heard the Larue mounts do return to zero once dismounted. Is it true?

Why? Are they worse or better than the Tacpoint?
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 8:15:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I was low on ammo tonight after having fun with my ACOG clone, but I'll zero it in next week.  I need to locktite the mount since it came loose while shooting (how tight should I really screw it on???).  The red dot is very very clear though....
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 8:37:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Badaim- I meant none of the mounts that come with the Aimpoint or any of it's clones.  The Larue ought to work just fine.

This scope has got to be 10 times better than the Tacpoint from what I've heard about the Tacpoint.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 5:19:23 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Badaim- I meant none of the mounts that come with the Aimpoint or any of it's clones.  The Larue ought to work just fine.

This scope has got to be 10 times better than the Tacpoint from what I've heard about the Tacpoint.

I see. Thanks for the response

I may just get one just for the hell of it
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 9:56:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Tag
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:13:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Tag

we can tag too?
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:19:36 PM EDT
[#22]
When I tag I get email notification.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 4:01:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
When I tag I get email notification.

Oh, that nice
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 6:05:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Anyone know where I can get new covers for my clone? I broke them awhile back.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 8:37:29 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Perhaps buying Butler Creek's ones or purchasing Aimpoint's?
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 12:36:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Tagging keeps the thread in your list of "My Active Topics" that you can go to.  I happen to have it set as my Firefox Home Page.

Setting a thread to send you an email notification f*cking blows.  With the way some threads go, getting an email for each reply can suck HARD!

The Group Buy we had on CompMs for $194 took 1.5 threads @ 40 threads per page and to me that's a lot of junk email considering most of us were keeping an eye on that thread nonstop for 4 hours...

take your Clone to the hunting store and try out the Butler Creek caps.  You only really need the front...

Link Posted: 12/4/2005 2:13:12 PM EDT
[#27]
How does this sight co-witness with a standard flat top rifle?  Would I need a riser to put this same sight on my Bushmaster  flat top ?
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 5:48:07 PM EDT
[#28]
I got the KAC cantilever knockoff with mine and it seemed to cowitness just fine.

Do you guys all understand that NOT cowitnessing isn't a bad thing either and it's actually preferred by a lot of people?
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 8:37:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Well, I ordered one in the low mount for my SAR-1 to sit on the Ultimak rail. Hopefully its low enough to give me a bit of cowitess with the irons. I can't wait
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 1:03:02 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I got the KAC cantilever knockoff with mine and it seemed to cowitness just fine.

Do you guys all understand that NOT cowitnessing isn't a bad thing either and it's actually preferred by a lot of people?

Yeah, I understand completely Joseph  I'm mainly concerned with will it sit higher than my FSB.  It just doesn't look like it's high enough to clear the front sight by some of the photos.  I'd rather have one sit high enough so if it co-witnesses it would be in the lower part, not obstructing the optic's view.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 3:13:30 AM EDT
[#31]
The cantilever mount from Jack will co-witness with standard frnt sight post and BUIS at the 50% level in the reticle.  Yes, I've tried it using a Matech BUIS and normal Armalite front sight assembly.

If you want it to co-witness in the lower 1/3 of the reticle, which is preferred by many shooters, you will need another mount like the Promag copy of the GG&G for example.  Or, if you want a mount that costs double your clone optic, get a real GG&G.  Whatever.  Either will work well.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:55:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Midway USA sells the ProMag version for around $50 or you can go to Burris' site and check out the XTreme rings.  I've got the High version and it is a perfect cowitness so I would assume the extra high (which they offer) will be more to your liking.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 2:26:21 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I though of putting words into the review but decided the best descriptions are all the pictures themselves.

Nice FAL!  Is that an StG58 kit built on a coonan receiver?  Looks like you have the entreprise (or old DSA)free-float handguards too.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 1:20:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 1:33:00 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I think tacpoint will send ya new 1's for free .
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 3:29:43 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think tacpoint will send ya new 1's for free .

and that's because you are saying these are Tacpoints?  
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 3:50:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Where can I get one of these from?
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 4:05:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Check out this thread on the EE. I just got one of them this week and am well pleased with it.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=23&t=272528&page=1
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 4:10:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Tango Victor Mike
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 4:18:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Why do we have a two page thread on a airsoft Aimpoint?
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 4:23:37 PM EDT
[#41]
because the aimpoint snobs haven't shown up to disrupt ir yet...er, NVM
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 5:53:56 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Well part of it is my fault. Guess I can’t justify buying a $350-400 optic for a 13 year olds weapon, so…………the Aimpoint Clone has to do!
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 6:41:33 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well part of it is my fault. Guess I can’t justify buying a $350-400 optic for a 13 year olds weapon, so…………the Aimpoint Clone has to do!

No problem.

I get it now.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 3:14:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Butler creek #2 and #9 covers are the fix, I switched the one's that cam with my Tacpoint for these and they are good to go.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 7:06:26 AM EDT
[#45]

I think I'm going to get another one with a cantilever mount though... Then find something to mount it on ....
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 12:17:15 PM EDT
[#46]
I picked one up from his Ebay store, $70.45 with shipping. For that price if it doesnt work for me I can always give it away.

Omni
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 1:39:59 PM EDT
[#47]
hi guys a just got aimpoint clone from jack very happy good result on the range is there a way to add a lens x3 or x2 thanks
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 2:08:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Sorry fellas, I know this might sound like a real stupid question.  How do I order one of these without having to purchase/bid through his ebay storefront ? Does he have a 1-800 or anykind of contact number so I can just go order it without to bid on it ? Thanks fellas in advance and sorry if I did miss something on previous threads about how to purchase one of these.

Marcusghinking.gif
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 3:53:53 PM EDT
[#49]
He is selling these over on the EE forum for $65+$10 shipping. You can pick a cantilever or L mount. HTH
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 5:03:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Has anyone beat the piss out of one of these yet? I am really thinking about one just because I don't have the dough for another one yet.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top