BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 12/31/2004 5:09:14 PM EDT
I'm still saving my pennies for a real SureFire to hand off the end of my M4, but wanted somethnig to hold me. Something that works better then a Mini-Mag light or similar. Then I found this on Glock Talk.

Check it out.

Link to original thread on www.glocktalk.com
www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=323343&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Original thread starter:
"Hey all,

I just got back from Wally World where I was in the sporting goods section looking for a new flashlight when I came across the Brinkman Maxfire LX. This is a really cool little light, it is definitely a Surefire type clone and it comes with 2-lithium batteries and has the tailcap switch. When I got it home i put in the batts. and this little light is BRIGHT! Alot brighter than my 4-D MAGLITE. Its also water resistant. I know this is no Surefire light, but for $20 it seems like a good little light for the money, just thought I would pass it along "

Thread on Candlepower forums:
Brinkman Maxfire LX
www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=799292&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

Quote about compatability with SureFire:
"There are threads on this in the incandescent forum, but the P60-61 lamp/reflectors are straight drop ins. You don't have to do anything to make them work."

Here are a couple of pictures of the Wally World Wonder Light on my AR. Its mounted in two one inch scope rings on the LaRue 7.0 FF tube.

Its positioned such that I can activate the light with the thumb of my left hand.

Link Posted: 12/31/2004 5:42:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice pics. Thanks for the heads up.
My buddy was looking for an inexpensive tactical light option and that might fill the ticket. Hopefully, it's shock isolated.  Or, is that just wishful thinking
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 6:06:39 PM EDT
[#2]
They are a nice light for the price. I did a little review when they first came out but no one was interested. I keep mine as a nightstand light.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 7:56:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
My buddy was looking for an inexpensive tactical light option and that might fill the ticket. Hopefully, it's shock isolated.  Or, is that just wishful thinking

Well the other forums indicate that it will take the Sure Fire Bezels, so it could be. I don't really know if it is or not.

Link Posted: 12/31/2004 8:28:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I have had a Maxfire LX for some time.  It is my EDC light.  I really like it, and for 20 bucks, i am not worried about losing it or having it "walk away".

I highly recommend it to my friends.

I would like to see how it works as a weapon mounted light.  I don't "think" it will last very long on an AR, but i have no hard data to back my guess.  Lancelot, please, let us know how things work out.

Have a good one.

Stainless
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 9:46:22 PM EDT
[#5]
i would put it on the other side  so your thumb on the hand on your for grip can activate the thumb switch.just a suggestion
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 10:09:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i would put it on the other side  so your thumb on the hand on your for grip can activate the thumb switch.just a suggestion

Take another look... I might be mistaken but isn't that the way it's already positioned?
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 7:36:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Yuppers. If my left hand is on the vertical fore-grip, the thumb of my left hand can hit the switch with no change in grip.

This light is brighter then my SureFire G2. (Or at least as bright.) And it appears to be as bright or brighter then the M3 I have on my Glock.

I just used a pair of Weaver brand 1" low scope rings that I had lying around from another project. The light will mount with only one ring, but I chose to use two.

The light is covered with a rubger sleeve that is slightly larger in OD then 1". So the rings are really tight. As a result the light is not going to rotate or come loose from the rings.

Link Posted: 1/1/2005 7:50:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I got one of these tonight...going to run one and see if it's up to being a weapon light or not...even if it is not..these are hard to beat for $20 + tax...

As bright as my G2...I'm going to by a few more for emergency lights in the vehicles and at home...
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 7:56:33 PM EDT
[#9]
heck for another $13 you can buy a G2 .
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 8:01:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
heck for another $13 you can buy a G2 .

And for another $7 I can have 2 of the Wally World Light..Look-If it craps out as a weapons light, All is not lost...they would make great home, car and carry lights..I'm not made of money..and as much as I like my G2, I'll try this first...
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 8:56:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I read about these tonight on another fourm, and now here.....so I went to Wally World and got me one.

Every bit as bright as my C2, but I (as are others) am wondering about its life-span when mounted on a weapon. Even so, for 20 bucks it's steal.

Link Posted: 1/1/2005 9:34:09 PM EDT
[#12]
tag
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 8:52:53 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well the other forums indicate that it will take the Sure Fire Bezels, so it could be. I don't really know if it is or not.

Well I messed around with my Brinkman LX and Surefire G2. The Surefire Shock Isolated Bezel will not work on the Brinkman light. But, the P60 Surefire Lamp Assy does drop into the Brinkmam bezel. One drawback is the P60 floats around in the Brinkman Bezel, it is not a snug fit. But when the whole assembly was screwed together the P60 mounted in the Brinkman did work. When the light was shook I noticed no movement of the P60 but the loose fit would definately bother me if the original lamp was replaced with the P60 then used as a weapons light.

As far as a handheld light goes I think the Brinkman is a good deal at about $20. As I stated early on I use mine as a nightstand light, they are definately bright! But as far as a weapons light I would be weary. As far down on the food chain of handheld lights used as weapons lights I personally would go, is the Surefire G2 with Shock Isolated Bezel. But even some frown on this set up.

The stock Brinkman has no shock isolation what so ever so your bulb assy is definately going to take the full impact of the batteries if they shift during firing.

To install the Surefire P60 lamp assy I:
1) Unscrewed the Brinkman bezel from the light body.
2) Pulled out the stock bulb assy.
3) Unscrewed the bulb mount, this allowes the reflector to fall free.
4) Installed the P60 lamp assy into the Brinkman bezel and screwed the whole light back together.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 3:32:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I played with it last night. None of the G2 parts would fit the Brinkman.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 7:56:35 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

This light is brighter then my SureFire G2.

Brighter isn't better if the beam quality sucks.

Now, how does the beam quality compare?
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 10:18:18 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The beam does suck, more like an oval than a circle, but for $20 what do you expect, not bad at all for price.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 11:25:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

The beam does suck, more like an oval than a circle, but for $20 what do you expect, not bad at all for price.

Thanks.  Post a pic?
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 11:25:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh, mine has a very nice circle beam pattern, almost scared to say that it is better than my G2. The two lights  are very similar in this sense.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 11:44:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Mine is very "white" and very round or focused. Every bit as "crisp" as my G2. There are pictures on another forum I'll try to borrow them.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 1:42:44 PM EDT
[#20]
I guess when it's oval depends on how far, I pointed it about 7 feet away and the center/brightest part is oblong, not an issue, it's a cool little light.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 3:09:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Don't know if this will work,

On the left is a Brinkman on the right is a Scorpion

And here is a picture of the light..

I'm picking these off of Glock Talk.........

Link Posted: 1/4/2005 3:14:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Brinkan vs G2
Brinkman on the Right, G2 on the left

Brinkman vs 6Z

Link Posted: 1/5/2005 2:40:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I picked one up - no problem at all with the beam. Nice and round and BRIGHT. If you have a bad one, just take it back to wally world.

Nice light for the money. I think I'll be picking up a few more for the cars and around the house.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 12:17:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Hell I am goinmg to get 2

YIPPEEE.

Thanks for the info. and especially the pics............
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 2:26:26 PM EDT
[#25]
My Wally World doesn't carry them.  I'm going to have to try another...
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:07:25 AM EDT
[#26]
after reading this thread i went to local wally world and picked up one ..bright little light ...damn good value at 20 bucks
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:27:45 PM EDT
[#27]
My Wal Mart charges about $10.00 or more for a pair of 123 batteries, depending on brand. Considering this thing comes with batteries, that makes the light about $10.00.

Even better deal!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:30:10 PM EDT
[#28]
I just bought one today as wel.. Not a bad little light.. The package says it's shock proof.. We'll see..
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#29]
got one, nice light...thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:22:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Anyone know what the warranty is? One thing I have always loved about Surefire is that they will replace just about anything for any reason if it breaks.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:43:01 PM EDT
[#31]
One other thing is can you buy the replacement bulbs off the shelf or have to order them?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:02:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 8:47:00 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
My Wal Mart charges about $10.00 or more for a pair of 123 batteries, depending on brand. Considering this thing comes with batteries, that makes the light about $10.00.

Even better deal!

go to surefire.com, 123 batteries are $1.25

txl
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 12:13:48 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
One other thing is can you buy the replacement bulbs off the shelf or have to order them?

From what's been said you can use Surefire P60 lamps
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:58:03 PM EDT
[#35]
I've got the same little Brinkman light mounted on a Bushy that I shoot fairly regularly... I'de say it has over 200 rounds thru it since I put the light on it.... it hasnt seemed to bother it...

does anyone have any idea what kind of remote switch might work with our little Brinkman light...??
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:24:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Tag
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 4:43:33 PM EDT
[#37]
has anyone by chance tried to put any kind of remote switch on the Brinkman light....?? I've been searching, but have yet to find a remote switch for it....
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 6:28:53 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
has anyone by chance tried to put any kind of remote switch on the Brinkman light....?? I've been searching, but have yet to find a remote switch for it....

E-mail BrightFlashlights...Calvin has a aftermarket tape switch that fits it and Surefires....I have one that I used on both...

As I recall it was $23.00....well made...I'm impressed with it..
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 6:41:17 PM EDT
[#39]
thanks for info....
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 10:41:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Can't go wrong, gonna check wallyworld tomorrow.  Hopefully they'll have one.  Wanted a decent light for a while but prices have been holding me back.  Again thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 1/15/2005 9:27:33 PM EDT
[#41]
I picked one up the other day.  Every bit as bright as my G2Z, if not brighter.  The tail cap switch sucks compared to the Surefire, but otherwise it is a good light.
Link Posted: 1/16/2005 2:23:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Just went to get one for myself.

I liked it soo much, I am going to get aonther one tomorrow.......

Great light for the price..
Link Posted: 1/16/2005 2:30:07 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Great light for the price..

I agree.. I am no expert on lights, but it is very tactical looking for $20.. I am going to buy a few more.. For truck, bedroom, and maybee another for the hell of it..
Link Posted: 1/17/2005 5:43:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Picked one up today. Very nice little light. Worth the $20. I mounted it on my rifle, it works pretty well. Think I will run till fail just for the fun of it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2005 9:50:25 AM EDT
[#45]
The LEGEND XLis  much brighter then the MAXFIRE XL !!!! ,it's from brinkman also the same price !!! I have the legend xl ,just bought the maxfire , returning the maxfire it's NOT the brighter of the two !!!
Link Posted: 1/18/2005 2:08:48 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
The LEGEND XLis  much brighter then the MAXFIRE XL !!!! ,it's from brinkman also the same price !!! I have the legend xl ,just bought the maxfire , returning the maxfire it's NOT the brighter of the two !!!

Where did you get the Legend??
Link Posted: 1/18/2005 5:53:39 PM EDT
[#47]
I bought  one of these a few weeks ago, and like it alot.  I thought I would strap it on my middy for giggles, and with a piece of four inch rail and a cheap Tdi light mount  it  is rock solid.

I even went to the range, turned it on and ran thru 200+ rounds. It took a lickin' and it's still tickin'.
I really thought it wouldn't last a mag.....I'm gonna go buy more......

My digi-cam met an untimely and somewhat violent death....sorry no pics.
Link Posted: 1/18/2005 8:47:50 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Anyone know what the warranty is? One thing I have always loved about Surefire is that they will replace just about anything for any reason if it breaks.

I dont have one of these..but am looking..

WARRANTY

The Brinkmann Corporation warrants your Brinkmann flashlight against defects due to workmanship or materials for the lifetime of the original owner. This warranty does not cover: bulb or batteries; flashlights damaged due to normal wear, abuse, improper maintenance, battery leakage, disassembly of parts, scratches to the finish (considered normal wear), or attempted repair by anyone other than an authorized employee of Brinkmann. Brinkmann may elect to repair or replace damaged units covered by the terms of this warranty. This warranty extends to the original purchaser only and is not transferable or assignable to subsequent purchasers. Brinkmann requires reasonable proof of purchase. Therefore, we strongly recommend that you retain your sales receipt or invoice. To obtain repair or replacement of your Brinkmann flashlight under the terms of this warranty, return flashlight (without batteries) and proof of purchase along with owner¹s name and address, postage paid and insured to: Service Dept., Brinkmann Lighting Products, 1204 W. 27th St., Kansas City, MO 64108.

Link Posted: 1/19/2005 5:40:44 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Yea, but is it the same size? (For mounting options)
Link Posted: 1/19/2005 11:04:04 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where did you get the Legend??

At wally world !!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top