Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/12/2005 6:29:43 AM EDT
I have seen a couple of pictures now of users with Pentagon lights mounted on weapons. For those that are using them how are they holding up?

I have seen a coupld of X2's mounted up, and one X3. Anyone else?

Link Posted: 7/12/2005 7:01:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 3:09:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 4:17:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Bump for the Monday morning crew.

Link Posted: 7/16/2005 11:27:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I just  got a pentagon x3, today.  It will be used as a GP flashlight but  I'll try it on a rifle or 2.  I can tell you that it will be as tough as any light on the market from taking it apart.  It is extremely well built and compared to my surfire 6P  looks vastly superior.  Get one, you won't go wrong.  Oh, by the way, it's kinda bright too!
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 11:34:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Shamelessly stolen from another forum......... X3-HA in a DD mount. (Again not mine.)

Link Posted: 7/16/2005 11:34:52 AM EDT
[#6]
X3HA mounted on my M4...have had ZERO problems so far.

Still running strong.  

Gets my seal of approval, which doesnt mean much
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 4:29:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Decided to try an X3HA. Here it is mounted in a set of one inch Leupold rings on my M4.

So far I really like it.

Link Posted: 7/19/2005 12:08:03 AM EDT
[#8]
That's the same rig I'm running on my dissy, cool ain't it!  
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 4:44:31 AM EDT
[#9]
So far I like it.

Lense protectors and filters are not yet available.

I'm not sure I like the switch. I would prefer a clicker tail cap. There is one on their webpage, but they are apparently redesigning it so I'm waiting for the new one.

The bezel end is large, so you need a mount with some standoff / offset to it, like the DD or high rings. Alternatly you could mount it foward so the end clears the rails. This model is large and rather heavy for a light, but probably no more so then a comparable SureFire.

It is very bright, and appears to be tough as nails. I figure even if it doesn't work out on the rifle, it'll be a great carry light.

I also may try running the light on the other side. I played with this a little last night, and in some cases it was even more comfortable for me to use my thumb to the other side. We'll see.

Link Posted: 7/19/2005 7:44:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm running it on the other side without a dildo.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 7:46:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 9:25:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So far I like it.

Lense protectors and filters are not yet available.

I'm not sure I like the switch. I would prefer a clicker tail cap. There is one on their webpage, but they are apparently redesigning it so I'm waiting for the new one.

The bezel end is large, so you need a mount with some standoff / offset to it, like the DD or high rings. Alternatly you could mount it foward so the end clears the rails. This model is large and rather heavy for a light, but probably no more so then a comparable SureFire.

It is very bright, and appears to be tough as nails. I figure even if it doesn't work out on the rifle, it'll be a great carry light.

I also may try running the light on the other side. I played with this a little last night, and in some cases it was even more comfortable for me to use my thumb to the other side. We'll see.

You can use SF filters with the Pentagon lights.

C4

Really? Which one fits? I really need a cover kinda thing.

Link Posted: 7/19/2005 9:40:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 12:30:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks!

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 9:06:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Here is a pic of my recent build.  The Pentagon X2 with the A.R.M.S. mount, was the last element.  So far I am very happy with it.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-7/1053219/carbinephoto1.jpg

Seydou

ETA: Just figured out how to change picture size. Duh.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 10:10:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 10:18:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I haven't had a chance to try it out at the range yet, but here's my X2-HA in a Viking mount...

Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:40:23 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Here is a pic of my recent build.  The Pentagon X2 with the A.R.M.S. mount, was the last element.  So far I am very happy with it.

img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-7/1053219/carbinephoto1.jpg

Seydou

ETA: Just figured out how to change picture size. Duh.

Nice rifle. Please bring it to a Colorado shoot so we can safety inspect it for you!

Link Posted: 7/29/2005 2:27:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Lancelot -- Thanks for the compliment. I would like to attend a shoot, but making the time, that is the hard part.  As for the safety inspection, is there a cost for that and will I need to bring my own ammunition?Seydou
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 11:00:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 12:19:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Lancelot -- Thanks for the compliment. I would like to attend a shoot, but making the time, that is the hard part.  As for the safety inspection, is there a cost for that and will I need to bring my own ammunition?

Seydou

The safety inspection fee is based on post count. If you post a lot on our forum, then its free. If not, then we pro-rate it accordingly.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 12:44:14 PM EDT
[#22]
+1

Seydou
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:08:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:22:43 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Do these come standard with the tape pressure switch and mounts?

Most of the EE Dealers offer them in handheld configuration and weapons mountable configs. with and without tape pressure switch.

HS1
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:37:43 AM EDT
[#25]
I have a Pentagon X3HA on my Mossberg 12 gauge. I love it and would never consider another Surefire. I shot til my shoulder was sore this past weekend (about 50 rounds) of 2 3/4" 00 buck with the light mounted, and it has held up fine. Still as bright as ever. 00 buck offers slightly more recoil than .223, so I'm sure if it can hold up to that kind of abuse, you're not going to break it with an ar.

Oh, and for the record, I'm not a dealer nor do I pretend to be. This is an unbiased post from a user that uses gear for what it was intended to be used for.

*ETA* I use a triple rail mount that attaches to the magazine tube (one rail on either side and one under the tube) that I think came from Brownells. I got it from BrightFlashlights, a vendor on these boards. I use a Daniel Defense offset light mount to attach the light to the rail.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:18:55 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Do these come standard with the tape pressure switch and mounts?

Most of the EE Dealers offer them in handheld configuration and weapons mountable configs. with and without tape pressure switch.

HS1

We just got done evaluating their "tactical push on/off switch"  That switch is new and doesn't appear to be on their website yet.  This switch is similar to the other push on/off switch except it doesn't have a skirt around it so it is a whole lot easier to push for momentary control and also to clip on.  We went with this configuration over the corded ones because they can get entangled.  I think the possibility of it getting clicked on accidentally on a mounted position is over-exaggerated.  Don't know when they'll make them available, but I think it is one that I would recommend to others.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:56:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Tag....gonna get the wifey to buy me an X3 HA for the upcoming Bday.

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:20:17 PM EDT
[#28]
I have one scheduled for delivery Friday...the DD mount will be here today.

Hopefully pics and a review by this weekend.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:31:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:59:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Note to myself:

1). Learn to use digital camera
2). Learn to post images of PentagonLight MS2 mounted.
3). Buy a PentagonLight L2 without my wife knowing about it

Quoted:
I have seen a couple of pictures now of users with Pentagon lights mounted on weapons. For those that are using them how are they holding up?

I have seen a coupld of X2's mounted up, and one X3. Anyone else?

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:25:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:28:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:04:49 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
3). Buy a PentagonLight L2 without my wife knowing about it

We can include a fake invoice in the box that shows a sale price of $19.99

I have a wife too. It is far easier to fake a price than hide a new toy you always want to play with...

Or just have it shipped to your work address and stuff it in your bag
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:25:11 PM EDT
[#34]
I just need to take a quick off-topic on the wife issue: Why is it you think she never pays attention to your stuff (I mean, how many zillion camping and hunting and firearms doo-dads do I have?) and the moment you get something new she homes in, "Where'd you get that and how much did it cost?" Or is it a female plot whereby they automatically ask that whenever they see a piece of gear, knowing that most of the time they'll miss, but often enough they'll make a hit?

John
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:44:55 AM EDT
[#35]
I like to use the 48 hour rule.  If I can get it in the house and she doesn't ask about it for 48 hours.  I can say, that old thing, I have had that for ages..
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:30:20 PM EDT
[#36]
I just got a L2 from Pentagon at full retail $89. No dealers seem to have it yet. I was going to snag the T&E but chief took it first.  Anyway, this is one awesome LED light.  I really like it.  This design is definitely better than Innova T3.  It has lots options.  The OD finish is great.  Now, I have two from Pentagons: X2 and L2.  I'm using X2 as backup light, and will use L2 as a utility light.  It's been several hours now.  Wife has not detected yet!!!  Pray for me until credit card statement comes.  Hope your 48 hrs rule works.

Quoted:
I like to use the 48 hour rule.  If I can get it in the house and she doesn't ask about it for 48 hours.  I can say, that old thing, I have had that for ages..h.gif

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:19:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:19:51 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I just got a L2 from Pentagon at full retail $89. No dealers seem to have it yet. I was going to snag the T&E but chief took it first.  Anyway, this is one awesome LED light.  I really like it.  This design is definitely better than Innova T3.  It has lots options.  The OD finish is great.  Now, I have two from Pentagons: X2 and L2.  I'm using X2 as backup light, and will use L2 as a utility light.  It's been several hours now.  Wife has not detected yet!!!  Pray for me until credit card statement comes.  Hope your 48 hrs rule works.

Quoted:
I like to use the 48 hour rule.  If I can get it in the house and she doesn't ask about it for 48 hours.  I can say, that old thing, I have had that for ages..

Good Luck
Disclaimer (YMMV)
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:30:56 PM EDT
[#39]
It's good to see PentagonLight being used and praised by many people on the forums. One of the first mods for my AR will probably be a light setup w/DD mount. I'm leaning towards the X2 or possibly the S2.

Anyone know of any retailer (preferably in North Jersey) that has Pentagons on display? It would be nice to see and compare these in person.

^_^_^
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:12:06 PM EDT
[#40]
I have tried the S2 with the LED's.  That has a scattered light, so the only thing good is probably very close range type of uses with large blinding spot.  I would go for a X2.  But I think the L2 is just as nice.  I have both in hard coat OD.  They look great and robust for gun mounting.  The X2 is shock isolated.  But LED is recoil proof.  By the way, wife found out about the L2 because it has white light which gave it away.  That happened before credit card bill came.  3-dog night.  Yup.  h=85%

Quoted:
It's good to see PentagonLight being used and praised by many people on the forums. One of the first mods for my AR will probably be a light setup w/DD mount. I'm leaning towards the X2 or possibly the S2.

Anyone know of any retailer (preferably in North Jersey) that has Pentagons on display? It would be nice to see and compare these in person.

^_^_^

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:22:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:10:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Just last week I replaced a SureFire G2 in a scope ring with:

Pentagon X3
Viking Tactics Offset Mount
Tape Switch (attached to right side of mag well)

It handles very nicely and the illumination is impressive.  I've not done any live fire yet, but I have a good feeling about it.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:10:17 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

^_^_^

I wouldn't use the S2 for a weapon mounted light.  Doesnt have a very long throw distance.  I would only use it for closerange.  I usually use mine when I'm looking for something.  It only has 30 lumens vs. the 70 lumens of the X2.

Thx for the heads up. I have yet to see these in person, so I am glad to speak to people who can give an opinion on these lights.

Quoted:
Just last week I replaced a SureFire G2 in a scope ring with:

Pentagon X3
Viking Tactics Offset Mount
Tape Switch (attached to right side of mag well)

It handles very nicely and the illumination is impressive.  I've not done any live fire yet, but I have a good feeling about it.

What do you think of the size of the X3 when mounted on your rifle? I was leaning towards the X2, being a bit smaller and not as obtrusive.

^_^_^
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:01:53 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
What do you think of the size of the X3 when mounted on your rifle? I was leaning towards the X2, being a bit smaller and not as obtrusive.

It's noticeably longer than my G2 was, and heavier, but the increase in effective illumination is worth it in my opinion.  The length difference between the X2 and X3 isn't much more than the length of a CR123 battery, which is not a big deal in my book.

My rifle is a superlight bushmaster, so while I'm trying to keep it as light as is reasonably possible, it also give me a bit more wiggle room to increase a couple of ounces for a much better light system.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:57:17 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's noticeably longer than my G2 was, and heavier, but the increase in effective illumination is worth it in my opinion.  The length difference between the X2 and X3 isn't much more than the length of a CR123 battery, which is not a big deal in my book.

My rifle is a superlight bushmaster, so while I'm trying to keep it as light as is reasonably possible, it also give me a bit more wiggle room to increase a couple of ounces for a much better light system.

Cool, thx for the info. I think the X series will be what I finally purchase. I also think the decision of a vertical grip over the standard handguard will also effect my choice in the long run.

^_^_^
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:01:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Has anyone had a chance to use a Pentagon light in the Vltor ring? If so how does it fit / function?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:11:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:35:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Looking forward to them!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:19:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Does the X3 beam point straight like laser or flood? Is there enough sidespill light?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:24:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top