Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/20/2008 9:58:58 AM EDT
Here's a picture of my 1st ever AR build.

Here are the specs:

Stag Lower                $100 AIM Surplus
CMMG Mid-Length Upper
with 1/7 twist             $500 AIM surplus
Stag Lower Parts Kit    $68 Global Tactical
Stag Buttstock           $79  Global Tactical
ARMS 40 Sight           $90 New off eBay
(2) Magpul P-Mags     $31 Global Tactical

Total cost of build = $868

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/poultond/Dave%20Musical%20Stuff/MyStag_CMMG_2_800.jpg

For those considering a build, like I said this is the 1st time ever. I basically had the instructions from the forum up to read them over and looked at the pictures.

I would definitely recommend using the vice grips with tape on them to install some of the pins rather than using a hammer.

I'm hoping to update this post with a range report next week.

Thanks to everyone who answered any of the numerous questions I posted on this forum.
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 10:06:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Good call on the mid, you won't regret it. You've a great rifle there that will serve you well for years to come.
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Here's a picture of my 1st ever AR build.

Here are the specs:

Stag Lower                $100 AIM Surplus
CMMG Mid-Length Upper
with 1/7 twist             $500 AIM surplus
Stag Lower Parts Kit    $68 Global Tactical
Stag Buttstock           $79  Global Tactical
ARMS 40 Sight           $90 New off eBay
(2) Magpul P-Mags     $31 Global Tactical

Total cost of build = $868

img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/poultond/Dave%20Musical%20Stuff/MyStag_CMMG_2_800.jpg

For those considering a build, like I said this is the 1st time ever. I basically had the instructions from the forum up to read them over and looked at the pictures.

I would definitely recommend using the vice grips with tape on them to install some of the pins rather than using a hammer.

I'm hoping to update this post with a range report next week.

Thanks to everyone who answered any of the numerous questions I posted on this forum.

You did good. Excellant looking weapon. Looking foward to the range report.

Nevadasun
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 3:24:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Congrats on a job well done. Looks really good.
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 11:38:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, it's interesting I've come over to the AR side from the AK world and my motivation for getting this done was mostly just wanting an AR before the Democrats take power.

But now that it's built I've moved the AK to the back of the gun safe. I can't wait to get this out to the range and actually hit where I'm aiming!

I'm not looking forward to going through the barrel break-in procedure though. Seems pretty tedious.
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 2:39:09 PM EDT
[#5]
there is no need to break in the barrel.  It is a waste of time.  If your going to break it in the least tedious method is as follows:  Insert ammunition into magazine to capacity, insert magazine into rifle, retract charge handle and release, aim, pull trigger till empty, repeat with fresh magazine.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top