Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2020 2:54:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RailgunDeadeye]
Hello all!

I found a Makarov IJ70-18AH at a local gunshop and it was such an oddity that I ended up taking it home. It shoots pretty well, but I do have a few questions:

- Refinishing: The gun needs some TLC. I'd like to get it refinished, but am unsure of what direction to go. I saw CCR Refinishing's "Dusk" coating (ccrrefinishing.com) and it reminds me of a Bulgarian Mak's finish. Is this a good idea to attempt? I don't have the expertise to know if this is even possible from a metallurgy standpoint.

- Magazines: Anybody got a good lead for the double stack mags? My Google-Fu has failed me.

- Parts: From what I was able to piece together from various sources online, all the parts from standard Maks are interchangeable with the double-stack Maks, minus the frame, grip, and magazine. Just wanted to double check, is this true?

Thanks for the assistance, Mak Masters!

V/r,

CJ
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 12:26:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chemcmndr] [#1]
Not sure about refinishing, I had a local shop do a “black oxide” coating on a Soviet mak that turned out great.

There should still be a ProMag 10 round double stack mag on the equipment exchange here for a good price. Otherwise watching on Gunbroker. If you’re looking for the Russian ones, expect to pay around $100 for them, especially if they’re 12 rounders. In a pinch, the 8 round single stack magazines will work though.

As far as parts go, you are correct that for the most part, they’re interchangeable, except for grips
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 4:21:42 PM EDT
[#2]
You have to keep a real lookout for mags. There's (or was) a guy on ebay that was selling 10 round mags which were cut down 12's with a pinned base pad for about $50-$60 They were made that way since they were coming straight out of russia.

You can use normal 8 round makarov mags also.

I did get lucky a few months ago and picked up a legit russian 12 round mag locally for $50. I felt like i stole it LOL.

Link Posted: 6/20/2020 9:20:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
[b]Originally Posted By cheezzyizill:[/b
I did get lucky a few months ago and picked up a legit russian 12 round mag locally for $50. I felt like i stole it LOL.

View Quote

Yes... yes you stole it! Lol, excellent find!
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 9:22:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Update from CCR Refinishing:

"Yes we can refinish your Makarov in Dusk. We have done several over the years."

Looks like I'll be giving that a shot. Also, thanks for the help to those who have commented!
Top Top