Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2024 7:29:03 PM EDT
Anyone have one? Thoughts appreciated, considering ordering one to go with my Staccato but I’m torn between 5” and 4.25”.

If you have one, how do they run suppressed?
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:24:14 PM EDT
[#1]
No firsthand experience yet, but I have a 4.25” bull barrel on order and am picking up a 5” bushing/threaded barrel version next week I snagged off EE. I’m interested to see if they are as good as everything I’ve seen/read.

They are a 1911 from the waist up so I would think they should perform similarly suppressed. I’ll probably slap my Optimus on the threaded pistol just for shits and grins to see how it does compared to a tilt barrel but I honestly don’t intend to run cans on pistols much going forward.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 3:53:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kwisak] [#2]
I like mine. Probably my favorite pistol. While I haven’t shot it suppressed, it has impressed me in every other way.. I went 5 inch and no problems or regrets
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:35:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a commander size Platypus, and it has run fine suppressed. Probably around 500-600 rounds through it so far. Zero malfunctions except my girlfriend limp wristing it. It has been 100% for me. Maybe 100 rounds suppressed. I have since changed to a GI recoil set up and still no problems. I even ran a comp on it for maybe 100 rounds, all good.

I will be buying another, just hoping they release a Glock 19 mag version.

James
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:59:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Will be picking up a commander sized one next week and will tell you how it shoots and how it suppresses. I also hope they come out with a glock 19 magazine sized one.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:49:43 PM EDT
[#5]
My friend has a full size he abused it for 2k rounds with no issues. I think their wait times getting long tho.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:46:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm hoping for a Glock 19 size later as well. Let us know how it works out.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Revel1:
Will be picking up a commander sized one next week and will tell you how it shoots and how it suppresses. I also hope they come out with a glock 19 magazine sized one.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:49:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I’d go 5” K cut and run EPS/EPS Carry.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 2:48:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got 300 rounds through this one so far within the last week. So far my only gripes are the grip isn't very "grippy" and the thread protector doesn't like to stay put under sustained fire - even though they have a slick design that incorporates an o-ring to keep tension on the threads.

I didn't think I'd be a fan of the magwell but I don't mind it at all. The thing definitely outshoots me and feels very solid.

Bought this one lightly used, but it's got me real excited for the 4.25" bull barrel version I've got on order.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:34:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By sommere54:
I've got 300 rounds through this one so far within the last week. So far my only gripes are the grip isn't very "grippy" and the thread protector doesn't like to stay put under sustained fire - even though they have a slick design that incorporates an o-ring to keep tension on the threads.

I didn't think I'd be a fan of the magwell but I don't mind it at all. The thing definitely outshoots me and feels very solid.

Bought this one lightly used, but it's got me real excited for the 4.25" bull barrel version I've got on order.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/325748/Govt_Platty_jpg-3181245.JPG
View Quote

How’s the finish on them? Some of the colors look cheap or toyish. I’d probably go with mostly black with some OD green highlights maybe. Just curious as I debate picking one up.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:50:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Aluminum Frame=hard pass
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:32:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I was set on ordering one, then saw some reports of them getting loose after several thousand rounds.

Gives me pause.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:01:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By RussDXT:
I was set on ordering one, then saw some reports of them getting loose after several thousand rounds.

Gives me pause.
View Quote

Do you have a link?  I’d like to read the reports.  

I’m a little over 1000 rds on mine with perfect function/still looks new.  I’ve seen mention of concern about the aluminum frame, but I’ve seen no accounts of issues.  I’m interested in what you’ve seen.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:01:32 PM EDT
[#13]
It has been brought up on “the platypus lounge” on Facebook. I don’t have links, sorry.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:19:03 AM EDT
[#14]
im curious, can you quantify "Several thousand" for me ?

Not trying to be a smart ass honestly but that means exacty NOTHING.  The textbook defininition is "being more than two but fewer than many in number or kind"

Any firearm will loosen up over thousands of rounds it just depends on where that starts to be noticeable and by how much.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:21:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Gives me pause.
View Quote

The only thing that prevented me from buying one of these is the lack of anodizing on the frame.  Wonder if some of these reports are due to premature wear on the frame rails because the aluminum is too soft?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:39:10 AM EDT
[#16]
I love mine.  Bull barrel and new grip texture.

Destined for an SRO.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:40:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By owtlaw:
Aluminum Frame=hard pass
View Quote

Why?

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:24:22 PM EDT
[#18]
If memory serves the poster said 8000
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:53:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By JimmyT:

The only thing that prevented me from buying one of these is the lack of anodizing on the frame.  Wonder if some of these reports are due to premature wear on the frame rails because the aluminum is too soft?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JimmyT:

Gives me pause.

Ewww.  I'm out if the aluminum isn't anodized.  I had 2 sti, bought at same time, that they didn't anodized.  At the time sti was cerakoting frames, outsourced, then they would refit slide to frame, thinning cerakote as needed.  I had major issues with an improper fit thumb safety inside 250rds on 1 and alot of slide wear and looseness in the other in 300rds.  The frame rails wore so bad that the dustcover was scratching the spring tunnel on the slide during cycling.  Anodizing is the only way to provide life of alum frame rails.  Colt or sa tested alum frame 1911s to 25k rds and they were still ok.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:54:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm actually interested in a platypus, preferably one that takes g19 mags.  If alum frame is not anodized, that's a hard no from me.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:53:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By G-LockJoe:

How’s the finish on them? Some of the colors look cheap or toyish. I’d probably go with mostly black with some OD green highlights maybe. Just curious as I debate picking one up.
View Quote

It’s Cerakote, so it looks like/feels like any other Cerakote firearm. Not high class like an old school blued finish but good enough for what it is.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:01:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By DH243:

Ewww.  I'm out if the aluminum isn't anodized.  I had 2 sti, bought at same time, that they didn't anodized.  At the time sti was cerakoting frames, outsourced, then they would refit slide to frame, thinning cerakote as needed.  I had major issues with an improper fit thumb safety inside 250rds on 1 and alot of slide wear and looseness in the other in 300rds.  The frame rails wore so bad that the dustcover was scratching the spring tunnel on the slide during cycling.  Anodizing is the only way to provide life of alum frame rails.  Colt or sa tested alum frame 1911s to 25k rds and they were still ok.
View Quote

Only got about 1,200 rds on mine so far, but it’s doing very well as compared to my Prodigy. The Prodigy has a pretty noticeable wobble in the slide/frame fit as compared to the Platty with similar round count.

8,000 rds might tell a different tale, but so far I would spend my money on the Platypus 10x before most comparable pistols. My Nighthawk Trooper is the only one is the lineup that gives it a run, but the investment is dramatically different.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:01:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AK-12] [#23]
Originally Posted By DH243:

View Quote

It's also worth asking what the lubrication schedule is for those claiming theirs are loosening up. CZ doesn't anodize their aluminum frames either FWIW.

Even on anodized frames like Sigs, grease is recommended to minimize wear on the rails. It seems like a lot of people these days essentially run their guns dry for whatever reason, but it's important to note that the lubricants that should be used and how to use them varies depending on the environment and the weapon itself.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:59:33 AM EDT
[#24]
With introduction of the Limited Optics Division, 9mm 2011 platforms are the current hotness in pistol action sports.

On paper the Platypus seems to well fit the niche of weekend range warrior.  It's price points falls between Prodigy and Staccato.  The difference in magazine cost and availability is a huge plus.

It is that aluminum frame that calls the question.  I personally shot a 1,000 rounds of 9mm in the last month.  I am probably on the low end of live fire training compared to many.

At a current base price of $1,400, Platypus is still a significant investment.  It is a lot of money for an experiment.  A gun that loosens up in 5-8K rounds isn't going to fly.

Then again at a current lead time of 17-20 weeks, I doubt Stealth Arms is hurting for my business.  I'll wait for more round count reports.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:12:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Just took mine apart and cleaned after 1100 rounds. No wobble and still shoots extremely well
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:23:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Haven’t run one suppressed.  But I like mine. It is well made and runs great. Mine is laser accurate as well. I like the innovation of using Glock mags.  I changed both the mainspring and the recoil spring as I shoot light target loads and don’t plan to shoot any +p or super hot stuff through it.  I have the 4.25 with full rail and square trigger guard and holsters have been a problem. I wrongly assumed most 2011 holsters would fit but that isn’t the case. The rail is too wide. So I’m still searching for the right holster.

Overall though, I like it very much.
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:39:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: glazer1972] [#27]
Ended up trading my TRP setup for one. Wasn’t exactly what I would have picked out but it shot super even with Irons. I put an SCS-320-GR on it and a TLR1. Fits in a TRP holster for a light. I had to heat it up to make room for the threaded bbl. Still need to sight in the dot.

Link Posted: Yesterday 9:57:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Regarding rails and lubrication…I called Stealth Arms, and they use/recommend oil not grease.  Mine came with oil on the rails.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top