Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
Posted: 8/3/2004 2:55:45 PM EDT
weesatch,anyone have any input on these? great gear or not so great gear?

thanks, meat
Link Posted: 8/3/2004 7:04:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 12:40:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I just purchased a WASATCH In OD from SKD above, Great service!!!!!!

The WASATCH is an excellant set up, I like the fact that the Mag pouches are incorporated in the vest, It keeps the majority of the weight from mags (loaded) close to body or close to body armor. The problem with other chest rigs is they become very front heavy and bounce alot when running and gunning. Now when you have this thing fully loaded with mags it is STILL front heavy but does seem to balance out load MUCH better, Lets face it 12 mags is still 12 mags, Ive been until now carrying the STRIKE Chest rig, Its an Excellant rig as well, The way its cut is also well balanced and it doent tend to bounce or be as front heavy as say, A RACK system.
The main reason I went with the WASATCH/ WEESATCH is the fact the mags are incorporated in the vest allowing me to carry additional equipment on front of vest that I could not on the STRIKE. I am a Combat Engineer (DEMO) and I need additonal pouches for MDI, Time Fuse, Blasting caps, Crimpers etc. This allows the carrying of such Items without giving up of the Mags to accomidate. I am also in a MECH Unit this allows me to remove vest and still wear Body Armor if in a Turret and then Dawn it quickly in the event I have to unass my vehical. The chest rig also allows me to have everything in easy reach when in a vehical and nothing on my back to interfer with Mobile Operations in a wheeled vehical.
This is an excellant Vest. I could think of a few Improvements for it but Thats a different subject, hahahahaha.
Seriouly this is the best vest yet for ME, The STRIKE is my second pick. As for price, Its about the same price as adding pouches to the front of a STRIKE.
Ill try to get a few pics of my rig up this week, having camera troubles again......
chuck
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 3:00:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 7:19:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I just ordered a Wasatch from SKD and it should be here shortly I'll put something up when I get it configured in a few days provided Florida dosen't wash away with this damn Hurricane. Or may be that could be my first use of the thing if it gets here in time.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 1:38:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Wellllll
Since you asked, hahahahhaha

I dont really like the waist strap, It needs to be simplified and pull from back to front. My arms dont bend that way. It would be great to have it like the New  Strike Chest Rig from BHI.
Thats the biggest thing.
Id like to see a little heavier Shoulder straps that over lap and velcro for adjustment too, but these are pretty good.
Thats all, hehehehhehe It is really the best thing going, The Hellcat Convertable is very similar but Its twice the price for the same damn thing. HSGI does allow you to put two per pouch on rig as apose to 1 in the hellcat.
My money is with the HSGI model, It just rides good!
chuck
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 2:03:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 10:13:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:19:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Gosh Darn it,
I just ordered 2 Velcro over pads from Maxpedition. They use the perfect size pad for the strap on the FATBOY Satchel I carry for most my Demo stuff (quick ditch just in case). I didnt know HSGI offered pads for them Or Id have ordered them from You (SKD), Oh well Ill be looking for the pics on your page, I may still give you a holler once I see them.

This has got to be the best Vest out there right now, It is so damn well made I just cant get over it, (No I dont work for HSGI). As a Matter of fact I am a very big Blackhawk fan, I believe their STRIKE line is far superior than other MOLLE manufacturers, no matter where its made. I am using several STRIKE Pouches On the  WASATCH right now.
I know I know, Im trying to get a few pics up, really I am working on it, give me a few more days.
Keep up the good work and anybody who is sitting the fence on this one, do it you wont regret it and seriously consider SKD they are great to deal with.
chuck
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Do you know if a BHI strike admin pouch will fit on the bib of the weesatch
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 7:09:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 4:15:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Keep us posted I am down for a tan weesatch
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 3:26:42 PM EDT
[#12]
How is the weesatch when not using plates?
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:48:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:58:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Where is a good place to get the plates for these?  
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:59:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Ok my $.02

I say WEESATCH WASATCH it doesnt matter, Just buy one!!
Seriously,
I have found my WASATCH fits very nicely with or without Plates.
The WASATCH waist strap is in 2 pieces, this is so one can get enough adjustment to get around an Interceptor vest, However when whereing as a Plate Carrier only or without plates as a Chest rig, If you remove the one half of belt and adjust the single strap out so it engages the buckle on the right side, (There is still plenty of adjustment BTW) you can pull it plenty tight.
For referrance Im 6 FT tall and about 195lbs.
Heres my take
With almost all other chest rigs, pouches are attached to front of vest, this causes it to be front heavy mainly noticable when running. This is also dependant on where the rear straps attach to the rear of the harness, sometimes a different cut and point of attachment such as on the STRIKE Chest rig pulls the vest tighter to the body thus causing it to ride closer to the body and FEEL less front heavy.
The WASATCH accomplishes this by its single divided pouch which keeps the mags closer to the body from the get go.
Now add in balancing with a hydration system or plates and it just adds to its comfort. I noticed this week while practicing some shoot and move drills, than the more times I reloaded (take mags out of WASATCH and reload) If I put some of the mags in my Dump pouch it actually loosens up the vest some as it lightens up. Why would you want that?
Ok Ill tell you, As it loosens up some by taking out mags for reloads it makes it easier to BREATH, As in when you are shooting and moving, I know you all know what Im speaking of. Running and gunning after a few minutes is very breath taking and if the rig is SLIGHTly Loosening with each mag change as your running it makes it easier to breath. It does not loosen it enough to offset the load, just enough to free up the chest a bit.
Now If your whereing it over Interceptor vest forget it , the hog is still taking away your breath, hahahaha
But with or without plates you really dont get the same degree of "front heavy" as you do with a traditional Chest rig.
It just rides Better!!!
get one
chuck
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:19:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:28:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:40:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks SKD.

Ive been out for a while.  I guess im not allowed to have the cool toys anymore.  I figured I was getting into trouble when lumpy tagged this thread.  So I guess "we" the non LE are not allowed to have body armor?  Why is that?

Im going to be taking a few carbine courses in the fall when it cools off and Id like to have the proper stuff to do it with.  What goods a plate carrier if one cannot carry plates!  

Now I wish I was still in.

USCG-AR
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 1:36:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 3:07:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Thats good to know. I've been looking at the Weesatch cause I am skinny and the built in mag pouches. It frees up room for other stuff.

Sorry to say this here Joe, but does anyone know if Lightfighter sells there plates to civies?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:35:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I've got to throw my two cents in on this as well ordered a Wasatch from SKD on Fri got in on Mon with a Hurricane running through the state. My use may be a bit different than some but as a uniform cop I needed a new plate carrier and I needed to carry extra ammo and some accessories and I didn't wanted to look like an airborne ranger ready for a jump with crap hanging off me all over the place.  The papers look for the meanest looking cop or the one with the meanest looking gun or the one with the most shit hanging off of them for the front page, got to avoid the front page.

I've spent years piecing rigs together to carry ammo for the various long guns I've carried over my career Mini-14,  AR-15  and HK G-3 all have a different size mag and I rigged up all kinds of stuff to keep a fair (read large)amount of rifle ammo available if I needed it. I cut, pasted, sewed, zip tied and bent all kinds of stuff to get something I liked that didn't look bad and didn't cost much because I didn't want to invest in gear for a gun I didn't own. You got to stuff AR pouches for the 20rd Mini14s to work well and the damn G-3 is a whole different animal. Being a natural cheap bastard I made something work.

Most chest carriers seem to be made for military folks with a massive mag load out. (CQB is an exception)Mags are stacked 3 deep or carried perpendicular to the body. Very bulky hard to get a good comfortable prone position but they work. Not a lot of material and they ride high so they can clear the gun belt and  work well in a vehicle.

Tac vests duplicate the load out on my gun belt in some cases and tend to ride over the gun belt or hang a little to low. They also have lots of material, to cover your  uniform , get caught on stuff, make you hot and in my opinion create more of a profile, not like a target but make you stick out a little more draw more attention to you. This from a cop view trying not to scare the public or draw cameras to whatever it is you are doing. This being said I have a vest style carrier for my soft body armor I can throw on when I don't have a gun belt (off duty/call out) they do have a purpose.

THE WASTACH...................... could only be descrided as the shit..... in a class by itself  it can do it all and carry your rifle armor. My agency provides all of our equipment but does not provide rifle armor I bought mine myself I figure I'm worth IT. With this WASATCH on any hot call or long gun call I can throw on my Armor,  Ammo and Accessories  in about 10 seconds and get to the bad guys. Its set up to work with any rifle weapon system and with a little work you could probably set it up for a subgun (not sure though I've got an idea on how to do it ).  I took the plates out and it will work as a chest carrier with a pouch for your camel back it seemed to ride well without the plates as well. Its really no bigger than any chest carrier and it fits my donut abusing body 5' 10" 240lbs over my 3a soft armor and uniform.  The mags are carried so close you don't really think there are there and you can get to a gun belt no problem. It's got two little accessory pockets behind mags 1-4 and 8-12 look for the mesh in the pictures and a pocket in the bib as well.

It has a slim unobtrusive look to it I'm running mine slick because I don't need any thing on it right now for my job and I like the low profile, you can't see the plates and you can't see the mags it will barely get a second look from joe citizen on a call they will think I'm that idiot cop on Reno 911 who wears his armor outside his uniform. I wear a dark green uniform and the OD kinds of blends in with it. Of course I can add what ever I want to it later no problem. Really this thing fits damn near any need out there and it's expandable and adapatable to what ever you want from it anything from putting holes in paper on the range, protecting your family, fighting terrorists, or catching bank robbers. If you ever considered buying plates you should get this carrier now before you waste money on gear you will never need.

Well thought out gear and well made gear definite HIGH SPEED GEAR I really couldn't say anything bad about it.
SKD top notch service shipping at lighting speed through a Hurricane can't say anything bad about them.
It's all good. All that being said I hope I never have to use this thing other than training.

I do not work for SKD or HSGI but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night as well as saving a bunch on money on my car insurance by switching to GEICO.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:11:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Oh my frigg'N Crimony, I finally find what I believe to be the absolute best chest rig out there for balance and load carrying, and versatility, and Our New BC will not let me where it, PERIOD!!
This Guy came out on MY Range ( I say MY range because I was the NCOIC and SOI) To observe me Blow some damn big holes in the ground and totally destroy a Dodge Stratus with a few well placed Shape  and Cratering Charges, Not to mention a Bangalor or 2 or 3 or 4, Anyway he calls me over and says," Nice vest" I said thanks, He said "just to let you know from Now on you will wear the issue vest only, No exceptions" I said why is that? This vest allows me to carry my basic load and all necessary demo equipment and water" He said " yea it looks that way, and is very nice but you will wear the same equipment as everyone else, PERIOD!
I said, " thank you Slir that makes perfect sense to deprive your soldiers of equipment that will help them do their job better" He just walked away no doubtably feeling good about himself that he has corrected one of his children.
I was absolutely pissed, and HE is Taking us Overseas??????
God Help me, How do I get these PC people in my Chain
OH OH BTW Its Ok for me to wear the HSGI Dump pouch though, Gee thanks

I am very sorry I had to vent to someone and anyone else it could be considered Insubordination.

Chuck
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:58:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:56:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:49:35 PM EDT
[#25]
thanks order sent
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:26:40 PM EDT
[#26]
So will the Weesatch snug down on a little guy like me (5'6" and 145 lbs, just a shirt no armor) or am I going to stuff cardboard in my shirt to fill it out properly?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:28:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:56:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Dog I noticed some UZI references on your tag lines I figured this may send you over the top. The ammo pouches will be comfortable with 4 25 round mags riding in each pouch I even stuffed 40's in pouches but the 32's looked OK the 40's tended to stick up too much but they would fit. I took a pic but I can't figure out how to post it on the board. This rig will do anything even carry subgun mags You can't go wrong!!!!!!!! The rubber band trick works to keep the mags from falling out when you grab one of the four. I can't figure out how to attach the pic sorry but being an UZI fan myself (vector) I figured you may like that info. Great piece of gear.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:02:53 PM EDT
[#29]
32 round uzi magsx 2 per slot x10 mag slots= 640 rounds of 9mm.  Jeebus!

Thanks SKD for the rundown on sizing, that is what I needed to knowand  BTW Joe that is a helluva return policy! .  New job starts on Wed, I'll have to see how much I can skim off that first paycheck!  

Dawg
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:23:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:53:16 PM EDT
[#31]
got mine in the mail today from SKD, looks good now I just need to figure out to put it together but it looks like it will fit my LE application perfectly.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 4:17:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:29:33 PM EDT
[#33]
I will post pics once my other pouches come in, most are on back order.  I got it all sized with  no problem and I am only using 8 mags instead of 10 so I can use the left side pocket for my radio and the far right side for a flashbang.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:12:56 PM EDT
[#35]
we also use the CTS 7290, he thinks they are to loud but they mean its time for him to go to work, he loves the smell of burnt powder, lol
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:38:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:50:41 PM EDT
[#37]
OK so I own a Wasach and like it, but not being a rotund as some, nor wearing it over a IIIA as it was designed, Ive come to the conclusion that I need a Wesach.  Now having been known to wear plaid skirts, chase sheep and carry a big sword, I of course am looking for a deal.  Can you purchase just the front portion and reuse at a later date(Read Get fat dumb and happy) the larger front from the Wasach?

Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:29:30 AM EDT
[#39]
PSYWAR think long term I was once slim and good looking(weesatch material) now I'm all wasatch after years of midnights, bad food, and bad relationships. I keep a set of old BDUs as motivation but then if I get in um I'll have to sell all my gear that now fits me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:51:16 AM EDT
[#40]
I just got my Weestach last night.  It looks pretty good, but I've yet to run any drills in it.  One possible solution to the mag retention issue I've been pondering is this...... instead of using a rubber band, how would stiching an elastic band (I'm thinking like one of the LBE band/ BDU blousing bands)  work?  Seems like this would eliminate the need to constantly replace the rubber bands when they break and would keep the mag held in a more secure fashion than the rb alone.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:25:30 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I just got my Weestach last night.  It looks pretty good, but I've yet to run any drills in it.  

Same here... This looks like an awesome peice of gear!  I dont understand what everybody means by the "rubber band trick".  When carrying two mags per pouch, the pockets are deep enough to hold the "loose mag" in place, and along with those velcro enclosures... I dont think its going anywhere.  Maybee if Im upside down and shaken.... only then.... maybee that "loose mag" could fall out.  For right now Ive got mine set up just holding one mag per pouch..total of 5 mags.  I set the velcro enclosers to come from the back and vecro to the front instead of the other way around like in the pics, Just seemed like the OD pull tabs are easier to grab like that.  I guess it could be bad If I were being drug backwards it could undo the velcro... but I dont plan on being drug far or fast enough backwards on my belly without taking some course of action.  

If any situation... more like my up comming carbine courses.. requires more mags I will adjust it to carry more at that time.  

Guys this thing is totally adjustable.. you can have one mag per pouch by setting the velcro keepers it comes with further into the Weesactch.  

It also comes with about a foot and a half of strap per adjustment.. shoulders and waste.  Im going to either have to cut some off or bundle it up somehow.  What do your pros usually do with the extra dangling straps Joe?

Great thought out kit IMO.

Im no operator...nor LEO... just a guy who likes to shoot... alot ...

without practice....and the gear....Ill just be another boob with shiny toy.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 11:30:03 AM EDT
[#42]
I used black rubber bands to secure the strap ends, I folded the straps up into a neat bunch and hit it with a nice tactical BLACK rubber band. I agree that the retention is fine without the rubber bands in the mag pouches, but I could see grabbing a mag in a hurry and ripping another out with it, I also think the idea behind the band is if you popped the pouch to get the first mag with a band you don't have to worry about resecuring the pouch and can go right to the reload. You also can move or change positions without worry of the mag flying out.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:58:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Joe some of these guys must  be real small,my wasatch  is working out great.I've put magpuls on my AK mags and they stay in real well,plus my glock30 fits in the end pouch with that little shock cord piece for retention,still thinking about some kind of tab to make it easier to draw.Still great for a backup piece.Again thanks a million for it and the lighting service delivery!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:50:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:07:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Joe,

You got any Coyote (Khaki) Weestach's in stock?  I saw an OD green one yesterday at a buddie's place in Colorado Springs.....I'm sure you know who I'm talkin about

If you would shoot me your phone number and the best time to give you a call, I need to place and order, but have a couple questions.

Thanks,
Jeff
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:40:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:58:36 AM EDT
[#48]
After messing around with my Weestach some (note I havent had time to try stitching the bands in place yet), I'm starting to wonder exactly how big the Wastach is.  When I finally finished getting my Wee fitted, I noticed that the end pouches were extremely hard to get items in.  I know I can get my radio in one of the end pouches, but I dont see getting two mags to fit in there.  I may have to get one of those spiffy looking black Wastachs and compare the two.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:34:44 AM EDT
[#49]
I'm down for a Coyote Weesatch front, too.  I have a Wasatch that I love, but I need a little more fit for use without body armor.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:05:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top