You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 1/7/2024 6:48:37 PM EDT
What type of handguard are you?
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 9:15:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By battlemidget:
What type of handguard are you?
View Quote

Depends on the firearm. On an AR I like aluminum, on something like an x95 I like polymer, on an AK I like wood.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 4:22:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I like aluminum with plastic rail covers. I can mount my shit and not grill my hands in the process.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 9:11:38 PM EDT
[#3]
With the AR for the most part I prefer standard plastic handguards, but if rails are needed than fixed picatinny aluminum is the best option to me... None of that M-LOK stuff.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 2:49:58 PM EDT
[#4]
For an AR, aluminum Picatinny or MLOK rail- I like them both.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 2:13:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Impossible to answer.  Handguard design, construction, materials vary based in the type of eeapon.

If you are referring to AR type semiauto rifles, make that clear.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 5:52:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 5:24:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Like another poster said, it depends on the application. Just on my ARs I have many different types of handguards including lengths and materials.

I tend to like the plastic handguards on the retro replicas best, just because those guns are light overall.

I don't necessarily think they are the best performing. From a few experiments I have done over the years I think free float systems lend themselves better to accuracy, but I am not looking for that kind of accuracy unless I am shooting at something small like prairie poodles. That's among the reasons my varmint AR has a free float aluminum handguard and heavy barrel.

Like another poster above said, I prefer wood on AKs, but I think in that case it is mostly because I am a traditionalist.

Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:06:36 PM EDT
[#8]
If I buy a complete upper it’s usually the ones with the plastic hand guards as I really like the MOE. When I build its always the metal as it a whole lot easier that mouthing that delta ring and timing the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 10:17:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BoomBoom:
If I buy a complete upper it’s usually the ones with the plastic hand guards as I really like the MOE. When I build its always the metal as it a whole lot easier that mouthing that delta ring and timing the barrel nut.
View Quote

It really is becoming a lost art to most. Even back when timed GI barrel nuts were the main thing most people still really didn't get it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:44:48 PM EDT
[#10]
That depends on what the rifle is going to be used for.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:40:33 PM EDT
[#11]
On AR's I prefer the newer aluminum rails which don't require timing the barrel nut.  On the Mini-14 I like the OEM hand guard because it is easy to remove.

As for everything else I own, I don' have to worry about hand guards.  Well, the SKS's stock hand guards are fine the way they are.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:45:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:15:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Get both.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:34:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I like quad rails, and usually cover them with Magpul XTP covers.
Top Top