Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:49:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Hey guys!
Well, I won't be able to make it.  I don't think I'm going to be able to swing a shift trade. If we do it again, I want to try and be involved, and I'll keep watch for Sully's website to see when he offers this training again. Have a good time guys!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:11:45 PM EDT
[#2]
If I might ask a question; being a carbine class, how critical is it that I use a carbine?  Wouldn't these techniques cover the rifle spectrum?  I ask because I would like to try to use my fullsize M1A, as that's the rifle I would use if things ever went wacky.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:24:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If I might ask a question; being a carbine class, how critical is it that I use a carbine?  Wouldn't these techniques cover the rifle spectrum?  I ask because I would like to try to use my fullsize M1A, as that's the rifle I would use if things ever went wacky.

Most of the stuff can be done with a full size M1A, but it is rather difficult. I have taken this course with mine. However, it is a carbine length and the stock has been shortened to a 11.5 inch LOP. If you can arrange a backup carbine for the parts of the class where a full size M1A is too much, I would recommend it. With a little advance notice Sully may be able to help you out as well.

With the right mods, an M1A makes a fantastic Defensive Carbine. IMHO

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:58:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
OK, folks, sorry I haven't updated.  I got ahold of the landowner, he has been busy.  I filled him in on everyone signing a waiver of liability, and I will have a go/no go tomorrow.  

Anything further? We need to start booking students.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:44:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
OK, folks, sorry I haven't updated.  I got ahold of the landowner, he has been busy.  I filled him in on everyone signing a waiver of liability, and I will have a go/no go tomorrow.  

Anything further? We need to start booking students.

He was supposed to call me with a definite yes/no yesterday and instead has not called or answered attempts to communicate via email since Sunday.  I would call but I am at work right now.  I think it is safe to assume it is NOT going to pan out.  I feel like shit about this, but I would not feel comfortable giving the "go", as it appears to me that I am not going to get an actual go or no-go.  Sorry guys, I tried.  If there is an alternative, keep me on the list for the class.  I can try my local club, but that only has shooting in one direction, with room for 5 shooters or so at 100 yards.  Plus they banned .50's, it's mainly a trap shooting club.  We know what that means.

Again, sorry guys.  We have a few weeks.  Let's brainstorm and see if we can come up with something.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:14:37 AM EDT
[#6]
While we get this sorted out my place is still an option.It would be real nice if someone who has been to a carbine class or three could come out(bring your rifle and get some triggertime in while you are at it) and help me assess the best range location.I don't want to get 'caught' with a lot of last minute prep work.
The range that I had set up down my valley would be the best location but the most work to get ready,it's REALLY overgrown and a half mile hike into the range.I have hilly grassland that would only need cutting(which is no problem,I can get the neighbors haybine)it's a matter of picking the best(safest) spot for the class,and getting more targets set.

I do have a decent 0-45 M pistol-carbine range with a 50 foot 'berm'(it's in the valley)that is GTG right now,I would just have to mow some weeds to make it alittle wider,depending on how many will be shooting at the same time.That range is just 50 M from my back door.

So, it's not a matter of go/nogo,I(and the HH6 also)are willing to host the class,it's just a matter of setting up the 'facility' to where the training will be worthwhile.I shoot here all the time and I feel it's safe,I'm just not experienced enough with formal classes to say HEY I got a place!

I was planning on having a couple of 'zero' days at my place anyway before the class,open to those who were taking the class and wanted alittle 'warmup'.

I'm off to work this afternoon,if I get back while it's still daylight I'll drive around and snap some pics of my range setups as they stand now.If anyone wants to take me up on my offer to assess the locations IM me and I'll get you my contact#.I usually work at home so any day of the week is OK,I prefer weekdays,but weekends are allright.

Stan
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Sully is going to be the best one to tell you what he will need from the proposed range area.
Just to get an idea here are a couple pics where we do a lot of the classes.
The line of targets in the back of this picture are where we would do a lot of the training. 0-45 meters should work just fine for this. I'm sure we can improvise target holders, so that won't be that big an issue. Depending on the size of the class we may have most of the students on the line at the same time at this range. Or switch between smaller groups.

Another portion of the class is done at longer ranges 75-300 meters. However, Sully is surely creative enough to work with what you have
At the longer distances we would most likely be working on steel targets like these.

We are much closer in that pic (working with scatterguns ) but you get the idea. For this part of the class we generally work 1 or 2 at a time.

Keep in mind I'm not one of the instructors. This is just ideas based on my past classes.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:24:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:12:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Well what I need for a range is pretty basic.  25yds for most work, as this is where most skills and fundamentals work are done.  The 25yd are only needs a place to put make shift target backers to staple of glue 3'x4' targets too.  We can make shift target backers on site if needed, as long as there is a good backstop.  The distance work is simple, as I put out steel silhouettes, and a minimum of 100yds is adequate, and longer is always enlightening if available.  If nobody has a local range or sportsmans club handy, how about a Law Enforcement range, or a gravel pit.  Does anyone know if Senn Blacktop is anywhere in the area, as they have been happy customers in the past???  Otherwise we could use our home based range in Princeton MN if people want to road trip.  Let me know your thouths.

Stay Safe,
Greg Sullivan "Sully"
Chief Instructor
www.thedefensiveedge.com          

I'm betting we could make Bulletcatcher's place work, but I'd drive to ptrinceton as well.  uess we simply need to make a decision and run with it. BC, can we plan on your place?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:55:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Really want to take this class. Willing to travel 4-5 hours for a weekend of fun training. Dan
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:49:45 PM EDT
[#11]
"Everything" is 4-5 hours away from you.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:43:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Has the curriculum on page 3 been chosen, or are the contents of the class still subject to change?  I'm considering the course, but I'm not much interested in spending a lot of time on the handgun...

Glenn R.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:32:22 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Has the curriculum on page 3 been chosen, or are the contents of the class still subject to change?  I'm considering the course, but I'm not much interested in spending a lot of time on the handgun...

Glenn R.

Carbine class. By the required handgun ammo (100 rounds), I assume handgunning will be transition only.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:44:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Only transition work with pistols at Sullys carbine class
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:11:19 PM EDT
[#15]
My place is IN,HH6 is behind me,it's just a matter of getting set up.Chances are HH6 will be out of town teaching a class that weekend.I drove over my camera after setting it down to take another kind of 'shot',damn,I'll take my backup out tomorrow for range pics.The only reservation I have is that I haven't had more than five shooters out here at a time before and I'm worried it could get crowded on my existing setups.That doesn't mean I can't setup something new,especially cause I'll have some loggers and a dozer here on and off this winter,and can develop some ranges as I go.

I'd really like to make this work out,I wouldn't mind setting up a schedule for a formal firearms class every three months or so with an informal 'alumni refresher' in between.

Now for the pertinant facts:
Plug in White Mound County Park into your GPS or Google and you got my AO.White Mound has camping,BASS and some decent hunting areas also,especially on weekdays.# minutes from me.
Reedsburg is the closest town with a motel.There is a B&B(Shanahan's Tavern)6 minutes away,B&B(Bettinger's) in Plain 10 minutes away.Camping for students is OK at my place,it's just a matter of mowing an area.There is some flat near the house/electricity and a more remote area accessable by pickup (2wd OK) and field road.Sully and Fritz are welcome to crash in my living room.

I used to have a porta pot but loaned it to a contractor buddy,I can try and get it back but chances are I won't see it till the snow flies.There is a nice public crapper 300 yds 'up the hill' at the shrine near me,plan ahead...and there's always an e-tool or three laying around.

It's up to you'se guys(and Carrie).

Stan
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:16:12 PM EDT
[#16]
If you need some help setting up the land, I'm more than willing to swing in on the weekend.  Only problem is my only free weekend is going to be the 9-10th.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:16:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
My place is IN,HH6 is behind me,it's just a matter of getting set up.Chances are HH6 will be out of town teaching a class that weekend.I drove over my camera after setting it down to take another kind of 'shot',damn,I'll take my backup out tomorrow for range pics.The only reservation I have is that I haven't had more than five shooters out here at a time before and I'm worried it could get crowded on my existing setups.That doesn't mean I can't setup something new,especially cause I'll have some loggers and a dozer here on and off this winter,and can develop some ranges as I go.

I'd really like to make this work out,I wouldn't mind setting up a schedule for a formal firearms class every three months or so with an informal 'alumni refresher' in between.

Now for the pertinant facts:
Plug in White Mound County Park into your GPS or Google and you got my AO.White Mound has camping,BASS and some decent hunting areas also,especially on weekdays.# minutes from me.
Reedsburg is the closest town with a motel.There is a B&B(Shanahan's Tavern)6 minutes away,B&B(Bettinger's) in Plain 10 minutes away.Camping for students is OK at my place,it's just a matter of mowing an area.There is some flat near the house/electricity and a more remote area accessable by pickup (2wd OK) and field road.Sully and Fritz are welcome to crash in my living room.

I used to have a porta pot but loaned it to a contractor buddy,I can try and get it back but chances are I won't see it till the snow flies.There is a nice public crapper 300 yds 'up the hill' at the shrine near me,plan ahead...and there's always an e-tool or three laying around.

It's up to you'se guys(and Carrie).

Stan

Cool cool cool, we're gonna have a class! Stan, this is a stand up thing for you to do. Thank you.
Guys, Stan's tuition is gonna be comped, but I think we should all chip in and buy his ammo too. Do I hear a second?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:49:38 AM EDT
[#18]

Any offers of help building targets/ranges are appreciated.I work 'at home' so those with non-traditional(weekdays off)schedules don't be 'shy'.If you come to work I'll feed you well and the 'reward' is some trigger time,so pack(ammo)accordingly.

Oct.9-10 is GTG Mr.PX,and anyone else who wants to come out just 'RSVP'.If I have my way the range will be set by then,if so we can prep camping facilities and build more targets.That weekend I wanted to host a zero day/warmup for students anyway,regardless of the final location.

I've pretty much dialed in the location for the class,a field area  I've used in the past that has rolling hills to shoot against 0-150 M and 'connects' with my pistol  range down in the valley.It's right up behind the house and it was one of the first spots I set up here.I shoot that spot regularly(it was part of my biathlon loop),I've neglected the shorter range target area there but kept steel at 150-250 M for practice and 'qualifying' deer hunters that I let on my property.
 I will be out this weekend with my hired man(a 'new' shooter who 'works for bullets',60 rounds/hr,hehehe)knocking down some more weeds and relocating targets from around the farm to that area. With three weeks to go I picked what I think is the easiest place to get started,we(those who want to train more)can scout around with me and decide if it's worth setting up more ranges for the future.

Stan
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:27:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:47:44 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm in!!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:21:42 AM EDT
[#21]
2 (FMD and AnnieO) good to go.

Stan I'll look over my schedule and let you know if/when I can make it out.  I've got some work in Madison coming up.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:23:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Well I put in for the days off and still haven't heard a yes or no and since I put in for them with more than enough time to get it covered, I'm in. If I end up on the shedual, it's their fault not mine, cuz I won't be in to work. I've been wanting some training for a long time and dang it I'm not passing this up, I've had to miss to may of the wisconsin events because of BS with work I ain't missing this one!

So IM IN!!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:27:13 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm in, with one other. Both of us are DE alumni.

Stan, I'll get things together here to come out for the warm up weekend and put some work in on the range.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:24:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Now we are ROLLING!

I need a headcount for campers so I can plan for that,IM will work best.Students are welcome to come out Fri. nite I have plenty of firewood and electricity is available.Bring your own lawn chairs and comfort items,I have one BBQ grill.
I'll have a coffee pot and hot water 'on tap' for the weekend.
Saturday lunch will be BYO/MRE unless we arrange something else,it really is kindof far to run out for lunch(a blessing that keeps me slim,hehehe).It's up to Sully how much time he wants for break.Sunday lunch is on me I'll have a pot of stew cooking for the omnivores.There are a couple of taverns that have grills nearby(@ 5 miles) and a decent restaurant,the Palace in Plain.Reedsburg has 'everything'. Loganville(@10 miles) is the closest cafe if you don't feel like cooking breakfast,they open early and close at 2:00,and if there was time for Saturdayl unch 'out' that woulod be the place to go.If anyone needs help making any arrangements LMK.I checked the yellow pages and there are a few more B&B s at Plain Wi,Shanahan's(the closest) wasn't listed but the # there is 727-2507.

I'll scan a map and directions that I can email out before class.

I'll have most of the target stands built after this weekend,so it'll be fairly easy work getting this prepped.I'm gonna borrow a tractor and haybine this week and knock down the tall grass.Zero day should end up being more shooting than work.

Stan

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:15:35 AM EDT
[#25]
YES!!!!! The boss lady came in to drop off the checks so I asked and she said she schedualed me for off !!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:37:28 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm in.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:38:35 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm in. I will be camping on site as well.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:43:21 AM EDT
[#28]
still in
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:48:50 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm in!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:37:41 AM EDT
[#30]
I got another guy that wants to come.

So where exactly are we at with  everything?

ETA: Just reading the course info Sully posted, I'm gunna be one sooooooooore guy after this class.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:18:13 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I got another guy that wants to come.

So where exactly are we at with  everything?

ETA: Just reading the course info Sully posted, I'm gunna be one sooooooooore guy after this class.

The plan so far; Carbine course, held at Bulletcatcher's place near Reedsburg (DEtails on lication to follow) on 16-17 Oct. BC can offer camping space, or a few hotels are kind'a near by. Tuition is $150, registration will be set up shortly at defensive-edge.net. Foodstuffs are up to the student, and lunch will probably be a brown bag affair at the class site.

Sully posted a sylibus on page 3 of this thread. and sent me an equipment list which I promptly left on my work email. Will edit it in on Monday. In short, rifle, 800 rounds, pistol, 100 rounds, sling and holster, eyes and ears.

It this a complete list of students so far? (BC, you're not listed 'cause, as the host, you're comp'd.)
drdoolittle_1
FMD
AnnieO
Tommytrauma
Irv
Photoman
4weelin
MisterPX
Drjarhead
TheKill
Friend of Photoman
Tango7 (Possible)
QuinlanV
Death451
Fedgunner
Glenn_r (possible)

Our instructor; (Caption this pic.)
ANd then this thing went boom!

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:41:12 PM EDT
[#32]
I have to confirm it with the others but myself, Death451, and Fedgunner from the MN crew, were planning to attend.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:49:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 10:41:22 AM EDT
[#34]
I've requested the time off.  Hopefully I'll know Tuesday whether I can do this or not.  In other words, I'm a "possible" and I should be able to change that to a "no" or "definite" by Tuesday.

Question for Sully--based on reading your website course descriptions, this looks like Tactical Carbine I & II.  Could a friend attend the first day only, taking only the Carbine I course?  Would that be $75, or...

Thanks,

Glenn R.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:05:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Well, no Fedgunner. Death451 and myself are still up for it. Right now it's looking like we'll be camping as well.

Motley indeed
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:59:22 AM EDT
[#36]
I think since I need to save some cash I'll be camping as well, gotta check  with  the other guy thts coming with me to see what he wants to do.

Hey BC, where you still looking to get a porta-john ? I'll be wiling to throw some extra buckage tword that. let me know.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:20:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Photo Caption (9mm Glock only):
"...When you pull the trigger like this, it goes 'BOOM'!"

Photo Caption (.40 or .45mm Glock only):
"...When you pull the trigger like this, it goes 'KaBOOM' in your hand!"

Looks like we'll be camping as well...

...I had to spend the weekend working in Madison, so I haven't really looked at my schedule.

BulletcatcheR, I'll take a look and get you an IM with the dates I might be available ASAP.

-FMD
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:57:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Still don't see a registration thing for us on the site, can someone update when it gets up.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:40:14 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Hey BC, where you still looking to get a porta-john ? I'll be wiling to throw some extra buckage tword that. let me know.

me too.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:52:36 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

me too.

Ditto
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:02:44 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm still going get a porta pot.I'm  gonna put one of those  locks that let in you in free but you need to pay to get out.

I'll update as I get things set.

BulletcatchR
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:09:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:38:57 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Photoman and everyone be patient please, I gave the info to our webmaster to post a link for registration on our website.  She will get it posted.  I am in Missouri teaching an Instructor and Armorer course this week and should be back this weekend.    

Glenn_r,
    Yes a friend can attend for day-1 only, but they are gonna really miss out.  Day 1 is $110 which is our usual 1-day course rate.  We are offering this 2-day at a special rate of $150, so if they can attend both days it will be a better deal.      

It appears that the porta biffy is figured out, as well as lodging and first aid, and lunch on day2.  It sounds like this is coming together nicely.  

Stay Safe,
Greg Sullivan"Sully"
Chief Instructor
www.thedefensiveedge.com

Sully I just wasn't sure if I was missing it or not. I do think it's up now though I saw one listed for 10/16-10/17 in Baraboo just now. That should be it right?  Link for everyone else. I do believe thats the right one.

Sully I do have one question though about the CREDENTIAL REQUIREMENTS.
I currently hold a valid state license to work as a private security officer, would a copy of that license be ok? I ask because you can't get it if you've ever been conficted of any felony or any violent(and some non violent) misdameaners, you also can't get it if anything is pending. I just renewed it this year, last month to be exact.

Also we can get the documentation of no criminal history without going to the PD here. The Wisconsin Court Access website will list all pending charges, and any convictions for everything, including parking tickets. Would a copy of that print out work?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:56:21 AM EDT
[#44]
+1

Along the same lines, WI doesn't issue CCW permits, but I have non-res permits from both FL and VA.  Both require the full FBI background check including the fingerprint requirement.  FL issued in 2001, VA issued in July (I am one of the "dirty dozen" [one of the first 12 VA non-res licences] over at packing.org )

Carrie and I both completed the AACFI MN non-res course, but didn't get to MN in time to put in our applications (still waiting for that MNSC ruling).  She is currently waiting for her VA non-res to arrive.

Is this acceptable or no?  I hate to ask the local PD for anything here (Waukesha) as they're pretty anti-RKBA.  I got the third degree both times I went in for the CCW fingerprint cards, and the last time the seargent even tried to "forget" to put his badge and phone# on the card.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:59:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Crap thanks for the reminder FMD I got to get my Fla non res permit paperwork in soon, and re-new my NRA instructors credential too.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:14:42 AM EDT
[#46]
I just checked mine as well.  That 5 years is sneaking up quickly.  I still can't believe it's been 3 years.  It seems like yesterday...
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:07:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Dayumm,
I been here 20 yrs and except for my neighbor who worked at the jail had not one interaction with the Sheriff.I had better get them used to seeing me since I'll be mfg. an SBR soon.And taking MORE classes.My strategy is baby steps....I want to train to be an escort driver and the SBR is my preferred weapon.I figure if I can get signed off for an SBR it would be easier to get 'paper' next time around.

Is there a form or pre-printed 'affidavit' somewhere I could print or download that I could carry  in with me?Maybe a link to the WWW somewhere?I think it would smooth things out if I took a copy of the class registratrion page and a copy of an affidavit or something like that.

One of my (small)worries is solved with this.

TNX

BulletcatchR

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:45:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Don't know if it will help but check this site
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:25:11 AM EDT
[#49]
The WI court site is a good one if a copy of that is ok.

Otherwise how about a copy of one of my form 1's or form 4's?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:26:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Will a copy of my current FFL be valid for signoff?
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top