Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2006 2:02:42 PM EDT
Just got this in an email the other day and thought I'd share:

=================================================

Hi Everyone,
This is just heads-up. A new organization has been created called the Rattle Snake Mtn Association. This organization's mission is to host at least one machine gun shoot a year in North Central Oklahoma. This years event is scheduled for Sept 30th & Oct 1st.

As you can see I have created an email list of persons who I thought might be interested in receiving information about the event. If you are not interested, just drop me an email and I will delete you from this list. If you have friends who you think might want to be kept informed about the event, let them know or have them send me an email and I'll add their names to the list.

You will not receive any spam or political stuff from the organization.
We are in the preliminary stages of getting this up and running, but we do have a signed lease for a great spot that offers the MG community a lot of fun. More to follow as things develope.

John Burtt
Choctaw, OK
Chief gopher to the Boss

John Burtt is the President of the Fifty Caliber Institute (FCI; formerly the FCSPI - Fifty Cal Shooter's Policy Institute) out of Choctaw, OK and a hell of a nice guy.  FCI is one of two major organizations dedicated to the preservation of the .50 [mostly BMG] round and the civilian right to bear the armaments which fire it.  The other is the FCSA (Fifty Caliber Shooter's Ass'n).

Unlike most groups which exist to lobby for the same issue, these two groups work with one another, instead of against - often acting as dual sponsors for various .50 shooting events.  I'm not a .50 owner, but I've been a member for several years because of how important I think the work they're doing is.  I hope you fellas will try to make it out and show your support for this new organization.  If John's involved in/with it, I don't feel presumptuous saying I'm sure you'd enjoy being a part of it.

Best,

Jake.

P.S. While I'm at it, why not invite y'all to a BBQ down in Texas?  FCI .50BMG shoot/BBQ in Waco (March 31st thru April 2nd, 2006)
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:22:12 PM EDT
[#1]
thats cool, its well within my driving distance, they have CAS and fastdraw compititions in choctaw as well.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:34:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
thats cool, its well within my driving distance, they have CAS and fastdraw compititions in choctaw as well.

I don't see anything stating that this proposed MG shoot will be held in Choctaw. The person who originated the email resides in Choctaw, but never states where an MG shoot will be held.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:21:33 PM EDT
[#3]
That's correct.  FCI is out of Choctaw, but from the information I have the place is TBA (only "North Central OK").

This email alert is new enough to not be listed on their "Events" page here.

I will do some more digging, and update as appropriate.  John is always real good about responding to email, so I will have to shoot him one.

Best,

Jake.

ETA: In hindsight, that's probably because this event (by the newly-founded Rattle Snake Mtn Assn) has absolutely nothing at all to do with FCI.  I dunno what I was thinkin'.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:41:16 PM EDT
[#4]
He said "North Central Oklahoma", that's a tremendous improvement on the other location up near Missouri!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:49:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
He said "North Central Oklahoma", that's a tremendous improvement on the other location up near Missouri!

The shoot to which you're referring -- OFASTS, Oklahoma Full Auto Shoot & Trade Show -- is not the only MG shoot held in Oklahoma in recent years.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:48:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't see anything stating that this proposed MG shoot will be held in Choctaw. The person who originated the email resides in Choctaw, but never states where an MG shoot will be held.

thanks for pointing that out lester
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:56:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Dang, he's quick.  Already got a response....... two actually.  See below:

email#1
============================================
Jake,
The location is about 45 miles due west of Enid, OK just off hwy 412 in the glass mtns. We are aranging to have the firing line bulldozed right now and a lot of other things.

We are going to try to get a web site up, but that's a chunk of money we don't have right now.

JB

email#2
Tell your friends to send me an email and I'll add them to the list. That's the best way for them to stay informed.

JB

As a follow-up to email #2, John's email address (if you want to get on the mailing list) is: [email protected].

Also, in the interests of full disclosure, the above is not in bad form.  I have just received permission to post/reproduce his emails.

Best,

Jake the (gentlemanly) Texan.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:35:11 AM EDT
[#8]
The last one in "Central Oklahoma" was well west of OKC in 2004.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:09:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I'm no authority on Oklahoman geography, but Google Maps suggests that "45 miles due west of Enid, OK" might be considered NNW Oklahoma, rather than "North Central Oklahoma".  Still, it isn't entirely off the mark, is it?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:51:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Close enough for Government work!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:19:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Close enough for Government work!

You got that right!

Hey, am I the only one who can hear Jerry Reed singing that ("45 miles due west of Enid, OK")?

Like to the tune of Amos Moses?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:38:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

The "last" ORA MG shoot was held LESS THAN EIGHTEEN MONTHS AGO in Greenfield, which is approximately 45 minutes driving time from Oklahoma City. I wouldn't call that "well west" of anywhere except for maybe Muskogee or Ft. Smith.

There were ORA-sponsored MG shoots held in 2002, 2003, and 2004. I.e., held within RECENT years. Like within the past eighteen months. I was there.

There is another ORA-sponsored MG shoot tentatively scheduled to be held near Watonga this year. I.e., the OFASTS to which you referred is NOT the only MG shoot held within Oklahoma in recent years.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:37:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Sweet, hope I can make it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:49:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Sorry Lester, you're the one that used the term 'in recent years', I said 2004 and that is correct, I can't understand why you are trying to stir something up, you're making a mountain out of a molehill.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:16:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Sorry Lester, you're the one that used the term 'in recent years', I said 2004 and that is correct, I can't understand why you are trying to stir something up, you're making a mountain out of a molehill.  

What do you mean you can't understand why?!?!! It's Lester_Long dude, that's what he does. Once you realize that, it's all smooth sailing from there. No offense Lester.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:13:24 AM EDT
[#16]
That is 22 miles from my house I will be there with the gatlin gun
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:34:06 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

And 2004 -- specifically LESS THAN EIGHTEEN MONTHS AGO -- would be RECENT, would it not?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:05:43 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
There is another ORA-sponsored MG shoot tentatively scheduled to be held near Watonga this year.

Lester,

Any more info on this ORA shoot near Watonga (contact info, tenative date, etc..)? Watonga is pretty close to where they had the previous shoots (Greenfield) isn't it?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:47:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There is another ORA-sponsored MG shoot tentatively scheduled to be held near Watonga this year.

Lester,

Any more info on this ORA shoot near Watonga (contact info, tenative date, etc..)? Watonga is pretty close to where they had the previous shoots (Greenfield) isn't it?

I haven't heard any specifics yet other than it's a "for sure" deal. Watonga is eight miles north of the old site at Greenfield, but it may be further than Wingman26 wants to drive.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:20:13 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Maybe it's just a non-random sampling error,* but you Okies sound like you're "all about" the NFA weapons!  You guys also [seem to] have a lot of organized/formal MG shoots.

I'm wondering if a visit to the Sooner state is in the cards anytime soon..........

* i.e. the types of ppl most likely to respond to this thread with interest will probably be MG owners
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:21:14 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And 2004 -- specifically LESS THAN EIGHTEEN MONTHS AGO -- would be RECENT, would it not?

But for some folks, it may not be soon/recent enough!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:17:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Lester just needs to take a chill pill...
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:37:20 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Lester just needs to take a chill pill...

Maybe........

although I'm starting to pick up the vibe that maybe:

Lester : OKHTF : : markm : AZHTF

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:12:03 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe it's just a non-random sampling error,* but you Okies sound like you're "all about" the NFA weapons!  You guys also [seem to] have a lot of organized/formal MG shoots.

I'm wondering if a visit to the Sooner state is in the cards anytime soon..........

* i.e. the types of ppl most likely to respond to this thread with interest will probably be MG owners

My gatlin gun is a non NFA firearm but it is fun. And YES oklahoma for the most part is a very progun state. I thank God for him allowing me to  living here.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:36:03 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:My gatlin gun

You're going to the JTAC shoot correct?? With the gatlin gun accompanying you....right??
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:56:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Oklahoma has a large number of NFA owners and a fairly large per capita number of S.O.T.s (The Firing Line, The Firing Pin, Curtis Higgins, Kelly Kyle, Tony Rumore, Bill Stover, Chad Pope, Larry Cheatham, Fred Baker/Outdoor America, Tony Ritter, Bob Dumont?, etc.), but these MG shoots are a fairly recent development . And by recent, Wingman26, I mean within the past five years.

With the success of the OFASTS event and the support of a "mainstream" organization, like the ORA, I expect these events to grow in size and in number.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:38:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Sorry to drop off the face of the earth for a few days, but work has kept me away from arfcom lately........

Thanks for all the positive responses to this thread, BTW.  I'm not an MG/NFA owner, but I like to spread the info and post about a shoot if a board (such as arfcom) hasn't yet picked up the scent.  I've posted about MG shoots on arfcom before (even one or two here in the OKHTF, IIRC), but never got this good of a response to them before.  Very heartening.  Happiness is a warm (or hot, I guess) pile of brass.

ETA: Prolly time to add OK to the list of places I wouldn't hate to live if I couldn't live in TX (it's a short, short list; AZ's on it, and 2-3 others).
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:55:26 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

You're going to the JTAC shoot correct?? With the gatlin gun accompanying you....right??

I would love to go to the JTAC shot but my wife saids two shoots a year is more than I need I will be at HUN FARM in May my gatlin gun and my home made sand plum wine will be there.    When is date of this this shoot in NW okla?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:08:39 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would love to go to the JTAC shot but my wife saids two shoots a year is more than I need I will be at HUN FARM in May my gatlin gun and my home made sand plum wine will be there.    When is date of this this shoot in NW okla?

You're wife isn't right....there's no maximum "shoots" a guy can have a year.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:58:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Yeah, that's just an old wive's tale.  I think they debunked it on Myth Busters one night.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:03:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Any updates
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:47:29 AM EDT
[#32]
I haven't heard anything [via the email list] yet.  However, I did send him an email this morning, so we'll see.

Though I will certainly post updates here as I receive them, the way to get the best info the fastest will be to sign up on the RSMA email list.  Just send an email to John Burtt (who is also the President of the FCI) with the phrase "Rattle Snake Mountain Association" at the beginning of the subject line.  That email address is: jb50bmg_AT_earthlink_DOT_net

(convert the "_AT_" to "@" and the "_DOT_" to ".")

If anyone's worried about receiving a lot of spam and "affiliate" emails, don't be.  In the month since I've been signed up with RSMA (since the beginning, incidentally), I've only received the one email that has gone to the entire list.  Not exactly gonna throw my account over quota or anything.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:19:49 PM EDT
[#33]
I got off work for the shoot . I will bring a bunch of exploding targets to sell and my 22 gatlin gun for people to try. I am a dealer for these targets. I will bring 1/2lbs rim fire and 2 lbs reg rifle and subgun targets.
Link Posted: 4/29/2006 9:11:59 PM EDT
[#34]
I was told the shoot is still up in the air . Because they are having problems get in event insurance. Is this true.
Link Posted: 4/30/2006 5:53:26 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I was told the shoot is still up in the air . Because they are having problems get in event insurance. Is this true.

Got a source? Or is this another one of your rumors with no basis?
Link Posted: 4/30/2006 10:49:51 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a source . MAJOR County Sherif he is the one that put the group with the land owners.
Link Posted: 4/30/2006 11:44:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Lemme ask.  I haven't gotten anything else via email since the last update on here.
Link Posted: 4/30/2006 1:27:51 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a source . MAJOR County Sherif he is the one that put the group with the land owners.

Just as I thought -- a RUMOR. Don't post rumors.
Link Posted: 5/1/2006 10:03:37 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Just as I thought -- a RUMOR. Don't post rumors. Sorry I will do better in from now on.
Link Posted: 5/1/2006 10:09:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Well I heard this rumor that Lester is.....oh wait, he said not to post rumors, nevermind.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top