Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/23/2005 6:40:33 PM EDT
Greetings.  I am trying to gage interest in a black rifle shoot in CT because the area I live in NY (lower mid Hudson) has absolutely no public ranges worth going to.

See this --> ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=9&t=194244&page=1

Depending on the number of folks, I was thinking either Wooster Mountain or Blue Trail.  It would be nice to meet other fellow shooters from this board in person.  If someone could post what semiautomatic military style long guns are legit/verboten in CT for NY residents to bring, I would appreciate that.

Also, can you BBQ at Blue trail?  I seem to remember picnic tables.  What are the current hourly rates?

TIA
Link Posted: 2/23/2005 9:09:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you would be better off at Wooster Mtn or  High Rock. Blue Trail will get their panties all bunched up if you rapid fire & the 100 yrd ports have plywood covers so you can only shoot from the seated bench rest.

Other than that I m game for a shoot!
Link Posted: 2/23/2005 9:50:31 PM EDT
[#2]
im in

anybody with a piece of private land??????

i go shooting on private prop, but 100 guys would def be stretchin it......
Link Posted: 2/24/2005 1:27:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow, Blue Trail has changed.  Even when I went years ago, they did not like rapid fire.  Is that plywood to keep the muzzle down range cause someone complained about bullets going over the mountain?  Blue Mountain in Westchester does that too.

Where is High Rock?  I have never heard of it.

grandnational007, ask the owner of the private land how many folks they can handle.  I suppose we could pay for the use of the land, and clean up when we are done of course.
Link Posted: 2/24/2005 3:53:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Blue trail would probably be OK.  Maybe if we get enough people together they'll let us use the 200yd range?
Link Posted: 2/24/2005 9:15:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I’m in.  Wooster Mountain only has a 50 yard range. Also, they are not real big on rapid fire – the neighbors complain.

As for what you can bring in the state, anything preban is fine, as long as it is not on the list of specifically excluded weapons.  Anything in postban configuration (pre expiration of the fed AWB) is fine, again as long as it is not on the excluded list.

www.state.ct.us/dps/SLFU/FirearmsAssaultWeaponsList.htm

Also, check this thread:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=26&t=184683
Link Posted: 2/24/2005 1:28:40 PM EDT
[#6]
www.hrsa.nu

High Rock Range in Naugatuck

Link Posted: 2/24/2005 4:03:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Tag
I am certainly interested in any CT shoot
Blue trail has had Neighbors on the other side of the ridge claim bullet holes.
I work for a surveyor and we were involved in looking at the problem.Possible,but my opinion is that the bullets came from someone up on the ridge shooting towards the houses.The houses are few and far between and the number of bullet strikes in a relatively short period of time strike me as suspect. It isn't certain if it would be possible to lob a bullet over the ridge and strike any of the houses involved.At any rate that is why the baffles exist and pray and spray if frowned upon at BLUE TRAIL
Link Posted: 2/24/2005 5:16:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd love a CT shoot!!

Hopefully you set something up on a sunday.

I'm not big on blue trail. They seem to be the most anti-gun range I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 2/24/2005 5:20:40 PM EDT
[#9]
id be in. i might be able to get us on some private land. but depends on how many people are going.

ill check every now and again.
Link Posted: 2/24/2005 6:12:12 PM EDT
[#10]
If it's on private land perhaps I could bring the live 60 mm mortar for show and tell?
Link Posted: 2/24/2005 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If it's on private land perhaps I could bring the live 60 mm mortar for show and tell?

+1, and if so I could bring my sten as well....
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 3:43:08 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what is a sten?
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 7:42:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

what is a sten?

sub machine gun
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 11:04:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

what is a sten?

sub machine gun

exactly, it has a rate of fire of about 550 rounds/min and uses a 32rd box mag.

Link Posted: 2/25/2005 12:02:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Blue trail would probably be OK.  Maybe if we get enough people together they'll let us use the 200yd range?

you can shoot 200 there on any day, you don't need a crowd for that...
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 12:29:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm in for a shoot. Blue Trail makes you sit at the bench to shoot so there's no prone or standing firing an no rapid firing of any kind.
Link Posted: 2/25/2005 2:11:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Is that at the public range or where they do the highpower matches?  I've only been there to shoot in the matches.
Link Posted: 2/27/2005 3:57:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Count me in......Blue Trail sucks.......Wooster is more forgiving on Sundays for rapid fire....
Link Posted: 2/27/2005 3:59:21 AM EDT
[#19]
where's wooster mtn.?
Link Posted: 2/27/2005 5:25:39 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm new here, but I am definately up for a Black Rifle shoot. I vote for Blue Trails over Wooster Mtn. First because I live in Wallingford, where Blue Trails is. Second because Wooster is only 50 yds.

NEITHER place is full auto, and NEITHER place "likes" rapid fire.

Either way though, COUNT ME IN!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2005 5:26:14 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
where's wooster mtn.?

Ridgefield/ Danbury line on RT 7
Link Posted: 2/27/2005 6:06:17 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

what is a sten?

sub machine gun

exactly, it has a rate of fire of about 550 rounds/min and uses a 32rd box mag.

home.comcast.net/~c.duarte/sten1.jpg

haha nice
Link Posted: 2/27/2005 6:51:43 AM EDT
[#23]
A CT shoot sounds great.

I'm not really crazy about Blue Trail.  Then again, I've never been to Wooster Mountain or High Rock.

I'm pretty flexible though...
Link Posted: 2/27/2005 4:30:00 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm totally in, Blue trail would be nice. If you are organizing it call them and reserve the 200 yard range.
If you need any help let me know. I live 20 mins from there and frequent it often.
Link Posted: 2/27/2005 4:51:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Can we get some kind of discount at Blue trail......Don't they charge like 15 bucks an hour.....Wooster charges 15 bucks for the day......but the 200 yd range is nice.....
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 6:04:29 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that at the public range or where they do the highpower matches?  I've only been there to shoot in the matches.

The 200 yd line is where they have the matches, if there is no match, the range is open to the public, it's $18 for the whole day.
And you can shoot prone at the 100yd line, all you have to do is let them know you're gonna do it, and just pull the bench back.  I've never been given a hard time shooting prone there, even when it's been very crowded..
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 6:30:04 AM EDT
[#27]
I live in wallingford and was brought up shooting at blue trail. I hate the place. There is NO tolerance for a three shot string.

I hear High rock is a great place, smaller, cheaper, and more friendly.
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 6:40:17 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm In for a day at blue trails. The 200 yard range is pretty good. You can shoot from any position. Let me know the date and i'm there.
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 10:01:54 AM EDT
[#29]
+1 for High Rock... any members of HRSA here? Rapid fire is ok and no plywood baffles. 120 YD max tho.

5 dollars for the first hour and a dollar for every 15 minutes afterwards.
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 2:17:02 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I live in wallingford and was brought up shooting at blue trail. I hate the place. There is NO tolerance for a three shot string.

I hear High rock is a great place, smaller, cheaper, and more friendly.

high rock sucks, it's tiny, only 100yds and you can't shoot stuffed animals there.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 7:33:26 AM EDT
[#31]
I just don't see the fun in taking out my Ar's and having to count 5 mississippi between shots.

Ideally we should find someone with private property, 20 acres should do it. I remember reading somewhere that 4 acres + was all that is required inorder to legally discharge your firearm on private property.

Either way, whatever everyone agree's on, lets get a shoot going.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 11:37:33 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I just don't see the fun in taking out my Ar's and having to count 5 mississippi between shots.

Ideally we should find someone with private property, 20 acres should do it. I remember reading somewhere that 4 acres + was all that is required inorder to legally discharge your firearm on private property.

Either way, whatever everyone agree's on, lets get a shoot going.

I know for hunting, you have to be on 10 acres to discharge a centerfire.
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 5:14:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Fellas I'm interested.
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 8:44:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Is anyone checking into gunclubs in CT?   I just joined a club, I will ask if they are interested in something like this.  I know they have two 100 meter ranges but 100 people would push the limits on their capacity.  I will ask though.
Link Posted: 3/2/2005 9:22:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Is wooster even open this time of year?  last time I went around this time of year it was closed for the season
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 5:01:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Don't let this thread die.

Pick a location, set a date (hopefully sunday) and let's go. I'm dying to get my Ar's out of the hibernation safe.
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 5:10:05 AM EDT
[#37]

Is anyone checking into gunclubs in CT? I just joined a club, I will ask if they are interested in something like this. I know they have two 100 meter ranges but 100 people would push the limits on their capacity. I will ask though.

Which club did you join?

Link Posted: 3/6/2005 5:38:49 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Pick a location, set a date (hopefully sunday) and let's go. I'm dying to get my Ar's out of the hibernation safe.

+1
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 5:47:39 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

+1

Count me in, blue trails or private property seem to be the only logical choices in CT, especially if there is any kind of turn out.

Paul
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 4:10:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Im now a member of HRSA, As soon as I go thru my RO Cert I will be able to work the range & I will look into seeing if another RO would like to do a Black Rifle Day shoot!

One problem I see so far is that the range is open to the public on weekends so If a group wanted to shoot  they would  have to meet up at the range early before opening so they could get  a group of ports together! That shouldn't be a big prob though, they also have a cowboy shoot on one Sunday a month so it couldn't be that day!

I would also recommend bringing a good stapler &  paper  targets.  As for exploding  targets, the State Of CT has put an end to those per their requirment for renewal of  the lease.

If the weather is warm you could probally bring a small grill  & make it a nice day  at the range.

The range is pretty Black Rifle Friendly (some RO's more friendly than others) as long as you control your shooting, use proper firearm handling &  obey range rules.
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 6:01:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Juntau -  I joined the Mattabassett Rifle & Pistol Club in Berlin

http://www.mattabassettrpc.com/
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 6:04:46 AM EDT
[#42]
OK OK,lets stop the BS and get off the pot!
I know Blue trail has its faults but we have got to start somewhere so this is what I propose

Saturday april 9 2005 BLUE TRAIL RANGE   (203 269 3280 for directions or info)close to rt 91 exit 14  Range hours are 9-5 7 day a week with some extended hours in the summer
Blue trail has no competition on this day so the full range is availible (up to 200yd,or less if you want/need)
weekend rate is $18 first hour,$ 6 per hour for extra time(men),$14 first hour,$6 per for extra time (women/kids)
We won't be able to tear the place up and have an all out blast fest,but we can do some damage to some paper targets and do the whole meet and greet thing with each other. My private club (which we can not use,ask me about it when you see me!) really only goes to 100 yd so I will be hunting around to get sguared away at 200 !
I plan on hitting the range first thing and shooting for at least 2 or three hours .
There is a snack bar there for anyone who wants to make a day of it,but I would like to suggest we head next town  over and eat a group lunch at TIME OUT TAVERNE about  4 or 5 miles away in Durham.This is a decent neighborhood sports bar with pretty good food and is very much ok for women/kids. (family type joint)
Blue trail has covered ports so even if we have drizzel It could be do-able,of course a downpour would be nasty.
I can't really take the time to do sign up sheets or any of that kind of thing,lets keep it simple,just show up and pay your range fees and shoot.Pop a AR15 sign on your range bag or something so we can see who is who.
Anyone who comes think hard to come up with further ideas about other clubs/private land/or ranges where we could do shoots/campouts/grillfests
Like I said no official sign up but let me know what you think !!
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 6:12:15 PM EDT
[#43]
As I said earlier I am down for whatever, wherever, whenever.  I am sure Sundays are easier to do than Saturdays for most people but I can do either.

If eveyone can decide on a location, I would be more than happy to get a list going of participants,email out directions,  or whatever else I could do to help this shoot happen.

Let me know,
Paul

Link Posted: 3/11/2005 5:52:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Well... if Blue Trail is the only place then whatever...  Just bring your rubber boots, because the place is a friggin mud pit.  When you walk out to sewt your paper, the mud is up tp ypur ankles.  The range nazi is a bitch too.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:16:56 AM EDT
[#45]
So are we going to do Sat. April 9th ?  If so, I'm in and a few of my buddies too.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:27:41 AM EDT
[#46]
I went with  a saturday date because there were a couple of competitions on sundays (this closes the 200yd section) and I thought we would want the longer distance available to us.
Yes, blue trail can be a mess in the spring,wear boots
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:31:20 AM EDT
[#47]
What are their distances, either 100 or 200yds?
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:39:41 AM EDT
[#48]
The 100yd has several  locations for target frames,(every 25 yd?) and the 200 I would guess has more than one choice,been a long time since I shot there,I will hit them today or tomorrow and get back to you.I live 4 or 5 mi down the rd
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:43:50 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I went with  a saturday date because there were a couple of competitions on sundays (this closes the 200yd section) and I thought we would want the longer distance available to us.
Yes, blue trail can be a mess in the spring,wear boots

So..is Saturday a definate........
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:26:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Saturday
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top