Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2004 8:54:10 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/26/2004 9:07:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I would love a D90.  With the right mods, the Discos are just as capable and a bit more suited to family life.    My dream-machine, though is a deisel D110. ...   And then a Pinzgaur, and then a Unimog, and then a...    
Link Posted: 5/26/2004 10:28:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Think I'll stick the the disco or RRC any day over a 90 - too uncomfortable in the long haul for old guys like me - LOL

Besides - you know very well from Dweb that the Disco is more capable anyway  he

Link Posted: 5/26/2004 10:36:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/26/2004 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/26/2004 12:45:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/26/2004 1:33:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I hope your kidding! The D-90 is kick ass!

Lrbillb, looks like we have some training to do.  

M4, you need to study up on your Rovers !      That Tacoma looks nice..  but you can pick up a used D1 for under $10K and use the left over cash to trick it out for the trails.  They are very capable stock, though.  You'd be surprised.    

Link Posted: 5/26/2004 1:55:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/26/2004 5:54:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Stock:  yes, yes, and no.   Ground clearance easily sorted out with moderate lift and better tires.  The D90 comes stock with 32s but on a D1 32s would rub without some lift.  Axels, easy upgrade, especially if you're adding lockers, you'd want those axels upgraded anyway.  Deep water? Stock they both do about the same.  You can push a bow wave in front your hood, so long as you keep moving.   Adding a snorkel to either one will get you deeper than you'd like.    D1 takes a little longer to dry out after getting water up over your seats.  Plays hell with the CD changer too.

Don't get me wrong:  D90 is very cool, I like the bare bones design and would love to own one, but you can get the same capability for less than half the cost with the D1.  And the availability is greater.

Keep in mind though, owning a Rover (or  any other vehicle built in the UK) requiers a commitment to learn how to maintain/ repair/ modify it yourself.  Otherwise  you'll go broke paying someone else to do the  work.  I learn something new every week !  They're also slow, have weird electrical gremlins in them, and generally prone to little failures, but the design is simple and pretty easy to fix when it breaks.    I think a lot of people are disappointed with all the relaibility issues and street performance.  These  things are designed for off road use.  If that's your intention, you won't be disappointed.

I think with most Rover owners it's a love/hate thing.  It certainly is with me..
Link Posted: 5/26/2004 11:36:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/26/2004 11:39:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/27/2004 1:52:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Good site !     Looks to be pretty active.   Lots of Jeeps.  

Rauch Creek?  Looks like they're heading there this weekend.    I'm out of action for a few more weeks while I finish my deck and some other D1 maintenance.    

There's an active X-terra club in Md too.  I've been out with that group.  I'll get their site and post back to you..  
Link Posted: 5/27/2004 6:46:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Rausch creek is pretty good - also closer and cheaper than Paragon - just not as large.  Raush is  $25.00/day and you don't have to have a guide. We've had  a couple club events there lately - more to come soon too.

Scoping out a new place in Southern PA - right over MD line  - both public and legal. Will report back when I find out more -maybe a a small group would be in order!

M4 - seriously - I love all Rovers, but spend a while on www.discoweb.org  and you'll come to see that Discos/ Rangies and D90's are all the same - just a matter of how the're modified lrbillb
Link Posted: 5/27/2004 11:50:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the info lrbillb.    You'll need to share more info about your club..

M4, the X-terra club is on this site....  http://www.xterras.net.    
Link Posted: 5/29/2004 4:34:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Also, I wanted to let you guys know I just joined a great 4x4 forum called "Maryland Creepers"

marylandcreepers.com

That site is cool.  Now I'm really craving that Jeep!
Link Posted: 5/29/2004 6:42:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/29/2004 9:29:18 PM EDT
[#16]
nvm
Link Posted: 5/30/2004 5:00:13 AM EDT
[#17]
The Defenders are excellent for off road, probably 2nd to the Humvee (and I dont mean HummerII).  They are a little pricey though and some may not think worth the price.  You can get a 2003 Disco, low miles with the dealers extended warranty for about $25k.  Thats a good deal, probably better than most other brands.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2004 5:40:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Anyone know how well the smaller Freelanders do off road?
Link Posted: 5/31/2004 6:39:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/31/2004 7:15:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
nvm

What does that mean?

I had posted that I was gonna go to Adams in Aberdeen tomorrow and wanted to know is you wanted to meet up there.  But, after a "budgetary analysis", I realized I'm not gonna be able to get my Jeep until December / January.  

Good news is the '05 model will be out by then.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top