BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/16/2007 4:35:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/16/2007 5:52:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Aw man! That's my favorite movie house.

I was planning on going to see "No Country for..." and "I am Legend" at the Alamo. I'll be driving past there to eyeball the sign, then I'll write a complaint letter to let them know I went elsewhere.
Link Posted: 12/16/2007 6:58:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll have to check out AD south to see if they have a sign.
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 3:14:56 AM EDT
[#3]
They aren't a 51% establishment?  I've only been there a couple of times, but I'm fairly sure that my beer bill was a lot bigger than my sandwich bill...

Link Posted: 12/17/2007 5:07:03 AM EDT
[#4]
BUMP for Fire Mission.....

CMOS
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 6:04:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
They aren't a 51% establishment?  I've only been there a couple of times, but I'm fairly sure that my beer bill was a lot bigger than my sandwich bill...

was wondering that myself.  Wife's from Austin and I know that when we visited our alcohol bill was probably half our tab
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 6:54:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I would guess so.
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 7:45:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 10:18:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I have linked this post on Subguns.

Maybe this cinema needs to implement a 100% no guns policy.  If I have to give up my guns to see one of their movies, then they should not be able to make money on movies that have guns...

How can they profit from gun violence as depicted in film, but they can deny my ability to lawfully carry???
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 12:40:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/17/2007 1:08:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I sent Alamo Lake Creek an email. I probably go to Alamo once a week, split between LC and Village.

J
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 7:13:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Here is the email I sent off to the general manager at Alamo Drafthouse Lake Creek:

Mrs. Rodgers,

I was recently made aware via email and the Internet that the Alamo
Drafthouse Lake Creek has decided to prohibit lawful concealed carry
at that location.  I am writing to encourage you to change this policy
due to it's illogical premise.  Texas Concealed Handgun License
holders are not the people you need to be afraid of.  These people
specifically seek to satisfy all Texas State requirements in order to
qualify for a CHL permit.  Requirements such as a criminal background
check, a state regulated class on the laws concerning the use of force
in self-defense, voluntary submission of finger prints and not least
be able to demonstrate reasonable proficiency with their firearm.
What this adds up to is a person who wishes to follow the law, not
break the law.   When a business such as yours decides to bar lawful
CHL permit holders from carrying, you are in effect telling those that
do not wish to follow those laws that there will be no one in that
place of business that could stop them if they decided to go in there
and commit a crime.  It is tantamount to an invitation to criminals to
come in and do their worst with no fear of reprisal.  That is
irresponsible to your patrons as well as your employees.

You are definitely within your rights to bar CHL holders and hope that
bad people never do bad things, but I will choose not to disarm myself
and choose not to patronize your establishment until you reverse your
policy.  A movie and a good time is not worth my life or the lives of
my family.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or comments
and I sincerely hope that you will change your policy.

Your former customer,

Erik_O

xxx-xxx-xxxx

Link Posted: 12/18/2007 8:15:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I also sent one, though not as detailed.

Lauren,

I was disappointed to hear your decision to not allow
lawful carry of handguns at your establishment.  I
appreciated the fine service your business provided me
in the past and am sad to see our relationship will be
ending.  

Sincerely,

Thomas

Link Posted: 12/18/2007 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#13]
The ALamo Drafthouse in Katy (on Mason Rd) also now has a 30.06 sign, although the lettering is technically too small.

This is one of the newest locations.  They started out with a no unlicensed possession sign (which is still up) and added the 30.06 about a month or two ago.  Given the smaller than required lettering, I have ignored it thus far.  Perhaps I'll have to make a call as well...
Link Posted: 12/19/2007 5:18:57 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The ALamo Drafthouse in Katy (on Mason Rd) also now has a 30.06 sign, although the lettering is technically too small.

This is one of the newest locations.  They started out with a no unlicensed possession sign (which is still up) and added the 30.06 about a month or two ago.  Given the smaller than required lettering, I have ignored it thus far.  Perhaps I'll have to make a call as well...

Please do.

CMOS
Link Posted: 12/19/2007 5:54:41 AM EDT
[#15]
If you do make a call, and I hope you do, please do not inform them of their error with the sign. We should not be telling these misinformed individuals that their signs are not legal and to put up legal signs.
Link Posted: 12/19/2007 4:30:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Haven't called yet (working all day), but no way I would point out thier mistake.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2007 6:18:28 PM EDT
[#17]
height=8
Ihave ignored it thus far. Perhaps I'll have to make a call as well...

FWIW I have a friend who is a Federal criminal prosecuter. My main  question to him was whether it was legal to carry in a bank that had no sign.He seemed to think that was ok. My second question was that if any sign did not meet the requirements as laid out in the handbook was it still ok to carry there. His reply was that you do not want to be the test case.
Link Posted: 12/20/2007 11:51:25 AM EDT
[#18]
If its an issue of the 51% alcohol revenue, they need not post the 30.06 and in fact must post the red "51" sign.  In which case CHL holders violate the law regardless whether the business wants to turn away CHL holders or attract them.

Also, if you know the wording is correct, but lettering too small, will you be able to stand before a jury and honestly say you had no idea they didnt want CHL's in their establishment?  Better to just go elsewhere.  Nothing to gain or lose, then, from telling them their sign does not pass legal muster.  Perhaps if they learn that the signage they'd need is just too unreasonable, they'll take it down altogether.  There's a reason why we made the signs meet minimum size requirements.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2007 12:10:45 PM EDT
[#19]
tag
Link Posted: 12/20/2007 12:30:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I drove by the Lake Creek Alamo Drafthouse yesterday evening and did not see a 30.06 sign.

Where is it posted?
Link Posted: 12/20/2007 1:07:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/20/2007 1:32:11 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I drove by the Lake Creek Alamo Drafthouse yesterday evening and did not see a 30.06 sign.

Where is it posted?

Inside the box office, both the far-right and far-left bottom corners.
OK - they must be small, on the order of 8"x11" signs and too small to see from the curb.
Link Posted: 12/20/2007 7:18:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/20/2007 8:07:51 PM EDT
[#24]
I was just by there today and it's there, very small. You are actually tresspassing by the time you can actually read it.

I have yet to get a response to my email.
Link Posted: 12/20/2007 8:20:02 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd agree that the '51%' sign might fit better... and thinking about it, it probably wouldn't be such an off estimate.  It would be easy to spend $10 on a movie, and more than $10 on drinks.

My ex girlfriend is their HR lady... I just shot her an email.  Maybe she'll be able to give a general number on the amount of revenue from alcohol that they average.  

BTW, I just got my CHL in the mail today!  W00T!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2007 5:11:25 AM EDT
[#26]
This is what I wrote to them.

I have just recently caught wind of your decision to post a sign prohibiting the practicing CHL holder, into your theatre. I am very disappointed, and will let every single Law abiding citizen know of your decision. Hopefully you will eventually see your actions as the offesive gesture that it is.

Thanks,
Jerome
Link Posted: 12/21/2007 7:16:33 AM EDT
[#27]
I too sent them a letter

I am sorry to see that you no longer want Law abiding citizens that carry concealed weapons in your business.  God help you if some "crazy" with a gun comes in the building and decides to do harm.  I was a Deputy Sheriff for over twelve years and now carry my concealed weapon everywhere but, I won't be there to help.

God Bless,
Dewayne
Link Posted: 12/21/2007 7:27:30 AM EDT
[#28]
I am a member of a few mailing lists for competetive shooters. I posted this to the list, this was one reply.....

don't have a user login on AR15.com to post this, but whoever wants to post this or share it w/ Lake Creek management is welcome to do so.

When the movie "Shooter" came out I and others in the firearms training business in Austin were contacted by promotions people at Paramount. They offered us free passes to sneak previews to be held in the Austin area.
I chose the Lake Creek showing because of the unique character of the Alamo theatres.

I thought this was a great promo idea since the Stephen Hunter books are popular with "gun people".
I received and distributed almost 200 free passes to the Lake Creek sneak of "Shooter".
At least 100 showed up for the sneak preview.

The KR Training contingent in the audience included private citizens, current and former law enforcement (including at least local one FBI agent and multiple Austin PD cops from the SWAT team and organized crime units).
Since I made it a point to talk to every person that showed up as a result of my promotion of the event, I can guarantee that the cops present assumed that anyone part of my group was carrying - and the cops were not bothered by that fact at all.
Prior to the film I overheard several discussions between law enforcement and private citizen students of mine on the topic "what do you carry?" - no different than car enthusiasts discussing Ford vs. Chevy.
My group accounted for 75% or more of the people at the showing.

The Lake Creek Alamo made plenty of $ from us, we had a good time, and even though there were at least 100 armed people in the room, there were no guns drawn, no shootouts, no arrests and no accidents.

Based on the strong response to the event I followed up with Paramount and encouraged them to contact us again for future promotions.
If and when a future sneak preview opportunity occurs I'll be sure to let Paramount know that my students and customers aren't welcome at Lake Creek, so we'll have to take our business elsewhere.

Karl
[email protected]
http://www.krtraining.com

I also asked Karl if I could forward this to the drafthouse staff
Link Posted: 12/21/2007 7:39:19 AM EDT
[#29]

tag.  ill send email later.
Link Posted: 12/21/2007 7:47:38 AM EDT
[#30]
does anyone know if the houston alamo rafthouse has a 30.06? sign?
Link Posted: 12/21/2007 7:52:15 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I am a member of a few mailing lists for competetive shooters. I posted this to the list, this was one reply.....

don't have a user login on AR15.com to post this, but whoever wants to post this or share it w/ Lake Creek management is welcome to do so.

When the movie "Shooter" came out I and others in the firearms training business in Austin were contacted by promotions people at Paramount. They offered us free passes to sneak previews to be held in the Austin area.
I chose the Lake Creek showing because of the unique character of the Alamo theatres.

I thought this was a great promo idea since the Stephen Hunter books are popular with "gun people".
I received and distributed almost 200 free passes to the Lake Creek sneak of "Shooter".
At least 100 showed up for the sneak preview.

The KR Training contingent in the audience included private citizens, current and former law enforcement (including at least local one FBI agent and multiple Austin PD cops from the SWAT team and organized crime units).
Since I made it a point to talk to every person that showed up as a result of my promotion of the event, I can guarantee that the cops present assumed that anyone part of my group was carrying - and the cops were not bothered by that fact at all.
Prior to the film I overheard several discussions between law enforcement and private citizen students of mine on the topic "what do you carry?" - no different than car enthusiasts discussing Ford vs. Chevy.
My group accounted for 75% or more of the people at the showing.

The Lake Creek Alamo made plenty of $ from us, we had a good time, and even though there were at least 100 armed people in the room, there were no guns drawn, no shootouts, no arrests and no accidents.

Based on the strong response to the event I followed up with Paramount and encouraged them to contact us again for future promotions.
If and when a future sneak preview opportunity occurs I'll be sure to let Paramount know that my students and customers aren't welcome at Lake Creek, so we'll have to take our business elsewhere.

Karl
[email protected]
http://www.krtraining.com

I also asked Karl if I could forward this to the drafthouse staff

Karl makes a great point here... the Lake Creek one is close to my house, but I will not be going there anymore.
Link Posted: 12/21/2007 3:48:30 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I'd agree that the '51%' sign might fit better... and thinking about it, it probably wouldn't be such an off estimate.  It would be easy to spend $10 on a movie, and more than $10 on drinks.

My ex girlfriend is their HR lady... I just shot her an email.  Maybe she'll be able to give a general number on the amount of revenue from alcohol that they average.  

BTW, I just got my CHL in the mail today!  W00T!!!!!!

If all they sold were movie tickets and alcohol, you might be right.  But they also sell a lot of food, from appetizers to main courses to dessert (ask me how I know)

So I would be surprised if the 51% sign actually applies (although it is possible).

Link Posted: 12/21/2007 4:44:35 PM EDT
[#33]
My email to them this evening...

----- Original Message ----
To: [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]
Sent: Friday, December 21, 2007
Subject: Recipie for disaster

Lake Creek Drafthouse management,

Your decision to deny lawful concealed carry onto your property is your right, and I do respect that right. However, I deem it my moral obligation to do EVERYTHING IN MY POWER to ensure that law abiding citizens who are concerned about not just their personal safety, but the erosion of our liberties, boycotts your theater.

This is not because I dislike your policy. This is out of concern for their safety as THEY may not realize what the sign means, yet the bad guys do.

I do not wish to change your opinion about firearms, however I would like to point out that the ONLY thing you are accomplishing is to send out an open invite to all who know they can count on you to provide a willfully disarmed group of victims should they decide to not give a damn what your sign says.

Look at what just happened at The New Life Church where Jeanne Assam, who had a concealed carry permit, shot a heavily armed man as he began attacking unarmed people. New Life’s Senior Pastor Brady Boyd hailed Jeanne as “a real hero,” because the gunman she shot “had enough ammunition on him to cause a lot of damage.”  There is no question that this citizen’s action - using her personal firearm - saved many lives.

Please also consider the story of Mark Wilson who sacrificed his own life three years ago on the Tyler Texas courthouse steps when a heavily armed, David Arroyo, chose to start shooting innocent victims.

And what about the recent mall shooting, imagine what could have happened had a responsibly armed citizen been there, or at Virginia Tech, or Columbine, etc? How could the  outcome have been different had a responsible citizen such as Jeanne or Mark been among the crowds?

Think about this.

Let's say for a moment that there is a mass shooting at your establishment. The blood of not just those who chose to comply with your sign, but the others they are unable to protect is on your hands.

My wife and I took our son to his first movie at your location. The mothers group that she is a member of frequents your location; as do the husbands who enjoy coming there to drink beer and watch the action films that our wives do not wish to see.

My family will never come back.

Regrettably,  

A former customer
Link Posted: 12/22/2007 1:00:40 PM EDT
[#34]
I posted on Glocktalk too. Not as much interest. I saw that its posted on texas 3006 .com too.
Link Posted: 12/22/2007 3:50:15 PM EDT
[#35]
I got this in reply, and is a bit more humble in her wording as she passes off the proverbial 'hot potato'.

----- Original Message ----
Hi SBR and thanks for writing.  Unfortunately, those of us who receive this email, including myself, are unable to dictate any policy at our store... including the one you are referencing in this chain of emails.  We are the management, but not final decision makers.  If you would like to further discuss this policy with someone above us, please contact [email protected] and the owner will get back to you.  I believe the owner has contacted the TABC recently over inquiries about our signage, which has been posted for nearing a year now.  Again, I apologize that I cannot bring more to the table, but I am only a representative of the policy and not, contrary to the popular belief in many of the emails I have received, personally responsible for this decision.  I hope the redirection is helpful to you.  Happy Holidays!

Yours,

Lauren S. Rogers
General Manager
Alamo Drafthouse Lake Creek

Link Posted: 12/22/2007 4:14:28 PM EDT
[#36]
I got basically the same email.

Hi Jerome and thanks for writing.  Unfortunately, I am unable to dictate
any policy at our store, including the one you are referencing.  I am the
General Manager, but not (by any means) the final decision maker.  If you
would like to further discuss this policy with someone above myself,
please contact [email protected] and the owner will get back to you.  I
believe that the owner has contacted the TABC recently over inquiries
about our signage, which has been posted for nearing a year now.  Again, I
apologize that I cannot bring more to the table, but I am only a
representative of the policy.  Contrary to popular belief in the language
of many of the emails I have received, I am NOT personally responsible for
this decision.  I hope this redirection helps you.

Yours,

Lauren S. Rogers
General Manager
Link Posted: 12/22/2007 4:18:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Yeah, and the email alias is bad... owner bounces!!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2007 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/22/2007 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
What a bunch of BS.  Her reply to me said:

I do support my businesses decision to post that signage.

Call her on this.  Now she's trying to pass the buck.  

No shit, that pisses me off; and I don't think they qualify for the 51% sign, this is a libtard agenda.
Link Posted: 12/22/2007 6:11:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Nice,

I sent the following:

Gentlemen,

Lauren claimed that she was responsible for the pro-criminal activity signs at your establishment until she realized that supporting the activities of criminals wasn't popular.  

Now, she is passing the buck and saying that you, the owners of the Alamo drafthouse support criminal activity and not her.

Why is she passing the buck?  Is she the supporter of criminals or is it you, the owners of the Alamo drafthouse who support criminals and their activities?

I'm curious!

Sincerely,

Sean Cody
Attorney at Law

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Dec 22, 2007 9:05 PM
Subject: Concealed Carry of Handguns at Alamo Drafthouse
To: [email protected], [email protected], Sean Cody <[email protected]>

Lauren,

I have learned of your decision to exercise your right to ban the lawful carry of concealed handguns by licensed and trained citizens of the great state of Texas.  

You have turned your place of business into a gun free zone for law abiding citizens.  The criminals will see it a a safe work zone because they will know that law abiding citizens who are licensed and trained to carry handgun will honor your posting of a 30.06 sign and will disarm themselves.  

Your effort to create a safe environment by banning the licensed carry of handguns is actually creating an unsafe environment for everyone other than criminals.  The recent department store shooting in Nebraska was in a posted gun free zone such as you are creating.  In that case, only the criminals had guns.  This is exactly the environment that you are creating.  Lauren, Do you support criminals and their behavior?  Your banning of the concealed carry of handguns by trained and licensed citizens of the great state of Texas makes your establishment a free enterprise zone for criminals and the posting of your 30.06 sign tells all the criminals that the Alamo Drafthouse is a free enterprise zone for them to conduct their criminal activity in.

I assume that you and Alamo Drafthouse are personally guaranteeing the safety of your patrons from their cars, to your establishment, during the movie and back to their cars since you have deprived your patrons of their ability to defend themselves and their families.  Are you and your employer making this guarantee?  Can you and your employer ensure the safety of your patrons from criminal activity on your premises and in your parking lot since you have made the decision to exercise your rights and disarm them?  

I do not and will not patronize businesses that abridge my right to defend myself and my family by banning the carry of concealed handguns by licensed and trained citizens of the state of Texas.  I have informed my clients, friends and business associates of your decision to abridge the rights of the citizens of the state of Texas.  

Further, I have explained to these people that you condone criminal conduct and are taking actions that facilitate criminal conduct on and about your premises.  

I look forward to the day that I can tell my clients, friends and associates that the Alamo Drafthouse does not support criminals and their activities.

Sincerely

SC-TExas
Attorney at Law

--
SC-Texas
Link Posted: 12/22/2007 6:13:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Its nice to see lil' Miss Lauren Liberal passing the buck now that she realizes that her liberal stance ain't popular in this great state!
Link Posted: 12/22/2007 6:30:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Anyone got a link to the Glocktalk thread?
Link Posted: 12/22/2007 6:51:14 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Anyone got a link to the Glocktalk thread?

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=798946
Link Posted: 12/22/2007 8:19:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Is there a site that would show us which businesses actually fall under the 51%. I have seen this sign in places that I would question the validity of its placement.
Link Posted: 12/22/2007 9:04:43 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Is there a site that would show us which businesses actually fall under the 51%. I have seen this sign in places that I would question the validity of its placement.

I agree completely... in fact I just got a shitty reply to my last email that the owner@ email address didn't work.

Here's the latest -

Sent: Saturday, December 22, 2007 11:57 PM
To: SBR
Subject: Re: Recipie for disaster

Hi again SBR,

I politely ask that you leave me out of all future correspondence in this matter.  As mentioned before, none of this is in my hands.  I am sure you understand that I have a large amount of email traffic and cannot continue in all of these chains.  I do, however, wish you luck in your continued communications.  Happy Holidays.

Yours,

Lauren S. Rogers
General Manager

Link Posted: 12/23/2007 6:03:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Ohno . . . she was really keen to take ownership ofthe idea when she thought her liberal views would be appreciated in Texas.

She needs to bekept in the loop now that she is disavowing the idea hat she liked so much.
Link Posted: 12/23/2007 6:05:17 AM EDT
[#47]
The address tot he owner at the drafthouse failed.

Anyone have a good address to the owners?

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

[email protected]
Link Posted: 12/23/2007 6:13:36 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

IM sent
Link Posted: 12/23/2007 6:50:18 AM EDT
[#49]
They can run their business as they see fit.  

You don't like it, go elsewhere.  

Although I disagree with their stance, they're under no obligation to be my own personal movie theatre.  If they don't serve people in purple shirts, or don't allow smoking, or CHL folks to carry, or whatever it's their call.  If the service is not to my satisfaction, I'll find another place to go.  They're not actively advertising an anti-gun stance, or protesting your right to carry... they just want to run their business in a particular way.   If enough people don't go to their theatre because of that, they'll either have to change or go out of business, but all this campaigning is ridiculous.  Trying to railroad them into your way of thinking (even if I agree with it) is just as pointless as the brady folks bombarding you with anti-gun literature.

They weren't rude or hostile in their response to your enquiry, they just gave you their stance.  They're within their rights, you're within yours to go elsewhere.  Your campaign against them is needlessly hostile, IMO.

Does Cinemark have a posted sign?  If not, problem solved.
Link Posted: 12/23/2007 7:05:09 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
They can run their business as they see fit.  

You don't like it, go elsewhere.  

Although I disagree with their stance, they're under no obligation to be my own personal movie theatre.  If they don't serve people in purple shirts, or don't allow smoking, or CHL folks to carry, or whatever it's their call.  If the service is not to my satisfaction, I'll find another place to go.  They're not actively advertising an anti-gun stance, or protesting your right to carry... they just want to run their business in a particular way.   If enough people don't go to their theatre because of that, they'll either have to change or go out of business, but all this campaigning is ridiculous.  Trying to railroad them into your way of thinking (even if I agree with it) is just as pointless as the brady folks bombarding you with anti-gun literature.

They weren't rude or hostile in their response to your enquiry, they just gave you their stance.  They're within their rights, you're within yours to go elsewhere.  Your campaign against them is needlessly hostile, IMO.

Does Cinemark have a posted sign?  If not, problem solved.

TRB,

I disagree completely.

One thing we have learned from watching the BradyBunch and the civil rights movementwork is that public protests work and they work by mobilizing large numbers of interesrted parties to let the business owners know that his beleifs and actions are not tolerable or acceptable behavior.

If we do not take a stand with each and every business, Cinemark will be the next theater to post 30.06 signs becasue they saw that Alamo Drafthouse got away with it, then the Edwards cinema will post the signs and then, you will have no theater to go to.

I ask you Rabbit Bane . . . .  where do you draw the line?

Do you draw it early on and defned it vigorously OR do you wait until there is no place to draw the line?

What say you?  I know that as a gun owner, you have seen the effects of drawing that line late.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top