Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/27/2022 11:34:57 AM EDT
If..SHTF...which American made AK you grabbing..and why?

I have quite a few imports, arsenals, and a few from KUSA and just ordered one from PSA to compare. I don't want this to be a bash thread and I know there are plenty of threads similar to this one. But as time goes on, perspectives change along with opinions.
I really just want user experience. I'm curious to hear from the majority of people

*NOT A BASH THREAD*
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 11:38:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a PSA AK103 with FN barrel. It’s just over 2000 rds and is BY FAR the most accurate AK I’ve owned. I’ve got 2 Arsenal (104 & 107) WASRSx2 and several kit builds that all run great. But the PSA is a tack driver compared to ANY of the others! The FN barrel is truly a cut above.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 11:44:39 AM EDT
[#2]
The one I built with polish stuff from AoA. My favorite gun I own.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 12:10:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't have an American-made AK to grab, so if forced to grab one of my AKs, it'd be the SAR-2, probably. That's the one for which I have the most ammo. The other choice would be a SAR-1, but I've only got about 14k rounds of 7.62x39 so it'd be my second choice.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 12:31:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't have an American made AK, but I have an American made AR that takes AK mags...does that count?
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 12:35:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Rifle Dynamics NATO AK, but so far I've been fairly impressed with the limited exposure I've had to PSAs products.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 1:02:06 PM EDT
[#6]
My PSA Ak103 with FN barrel is a great shooter. I've only got a few hundred rounds through it but I wouldn't hesitate to take it into a SHTF situation. Most accurate AK I've ever owned or shot and goes bang every time.

Link Posted: 10/27/2022 1:55:34 PM EDT
[#7]
My PSAK-104 is my only US made AK, so probably my PSAK-104.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 6:09:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't have an American made AK, but I have an American made AR that takes AK mags...does that count?
View Quote

No. You own an abomination. (Also: post pics!)

To the OP: I think any of the major brands outside of Hesse, I/O, or Century would be fine. Frankly I own lots of kit builds built here, a PSA, and KUSA rig as well. Not much difference between them. Id go with whatever was at hand.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 6:27:44 PM EDT
[#9]
PSA
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 6:34:33 PM EDT
[#10]
My PSA 103.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 7:11:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Since I only have PSA  AK, that’s it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 8:47:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

To the OP: I think any of the major brands outside of Hesse, I/O, or Century would be fine. Frankly I own lots of kit builds built here, a PSA, and KUSA rig as well. Not much difference between them. Id go with whatever was at hand.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As requested
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 9:13:49 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

I like these. Wish someone did this for 74 magazines.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 11:45:31 PM EDT
[#14]
My AMD-65 SBRs.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 8:21:16 AM EDT
[#15]
My Yugo double folder / spiker , if I am in my truck.

Link Posted: 10/28/2022 9:08:08 AM EDT
[#16]
If SHTF and all my AR15s were taken by Beto I guess I'd grab my Century AK :D

It does have the advantage of having a folding stock - so theres that. Never had any trouble with it - but it is as heavy as 2 or 3 ARs.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 9:15:49 AM EDT
[#17]
The one I built for myself just for this reason
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 9:33:24 AM EDT
[#18]
i don't think AKs make sense in a SHTF scenario regardless of where they are made, mags & ammo are not common in the US.

I have a pair of 5.56 zastavas, I'd consider the 5.56 PSA with the AR mag well I suppose.
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 9:36:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 11:19:09 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm liking the pics!

I'll have to post some of mine when I get time this weekend. I do think that there is a lot to go off with the PSA 103 being that it is well built and has an exceptional FN barrel. I'm still waiting for my 104 that just came out with the FN CHF barrel to compare with my other 104.

Safe to say that the gun I would pick would most likely be the PSA 104 with a mix of zentico handguard and wood trim on the gas tube, my deadair Wolverine PBS-1 can and SBR'd with a nice triangle folder and a PK-01VS Belomo Red dot to cowitness through the iron sights. That would be my choice
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 1:48:10 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/28/2022 2:06:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Sorry you wandered out of GD and posted that garbage here. dryflash3
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 6:15:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
i don't think AKs make sense in a SHTF scenario regardless of where they are made, mags & ammo are not common in the US.

View Quote

Bro, where you been?

I sold off 100 AK mags last year just because I don't have enough space to store them all right now, think i'm down to like 135 or so not counting drums.

Don't even get me started on my ammo fort.

As far as SHTF situation, NOTHING makes more sense than an AK, more square miles of the planet today are controlled by AK's than all other rifles combined. There are damned good reasons for this.
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 6:34:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Bro, where you been?

View Quote

He found this strange puzzle box and has been away for a while in his defense.

In all seriousness though, I agree with you. Lots of guys here have AK's. Heck, I'm even seeing guys with 74 mags lately. Don't get me wrong: there are still more AR based rifles than any other platform, but it isn't like it once was. You are spot on.
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 7:50:14 PM EDT
[#25]
The one with as few US parts in it as possible. I have a very nice Polish PMKMS that was built from an all-matching/original barrel parts kit on an NDS-1P receiver. That said…I’m not grabbing an AK.
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 8:07:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My PSA 103.
View Quote

Same!
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 8:37:43 PM EDT
[#27]
I have 2 American AKs.

DDI UF and a PSA103.

Both are decent guns. The DDI probably has 500+rds the PSA 30 lol.

I like both. Would grab the PSA.
Link Posted: 10/30/2022 11:32:26 PM EDT
[#28]
KUSA103

The only American made AK I have.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 8:02:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Toss up between the PSA 103 or 105.
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 8:13:27 PM EDT
[#30]
This topic needs more pics…

I’m pretty new to the AK platform game so I only have one, PSAK47 GF5. It’s a nice build! FN barrel and ALG trigger from the factory. I made a few personal touch changes:

Strike Industries muzzle device
Krebs ambi safety (I’m a lefty and this has totally changed how well it works for me, but did require some simple mod work to function correctly with the ALG trigger)
Sig Romeo5 on Attero Bravo mount
Surefire light in Odin Works mlok mount
Blue Force sling with QD mounts
Midwest Industries railed gas tube (was my original optic mounting plan before I got the Bravo mount)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 8:14:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Deleted
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 11:21:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Not made in Murica, but my Bulgarian AK-74 kit build in 5.56 would be the one if I were using an AK in SHTF.

Link Posted: 11/1/2022 10:52:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Not made in Murica, but my Bulgarian AK-74 kit build in 5.56 would be the one if I were using an AK in SHTF.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/395225/20220529_205517-2552667.jpg
View Quote

Same... Though as far as the ATF is concerned it is "made in America"

Link Posted: 11/1/2022 12:36:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/nZz3NKK.jpeg
View Quote

That is hot
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 12:36:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/nZz3NKK.jpeg
View Quote

You're right, and in that case, one of the two in front:

Link Posted: 11/2/2022 10:29:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/395225/20220529_205517-2552667.jpg
View Quote

I would grab my Arsenal SAM-5 in 5.56 but my PSA seems to be running okay.  It was a stripped blem when I bought it.  Recently I assembled it and ran a couple mags through it with zero failures so far.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 7:07:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Whichever one is closest, but this wouldn't be a terrible choice.... KUSA KP-104

Link Posted: 11/2/2022 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 11:01:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have a PSA AK103 with FN barrel. It’s just over 2000 rds and is BY FAR the most accurate AK I’ve owned. I’ve got 2 Arsenal (104 & 107) WASRSx2 and several kit builds that all run great. But the PSA is a tack driver compared to ANY of the others! The FN barrel is truly a cut above.
View Quote

I only have one Ak and it is the PSA AK103 with FN barrel.  I guess I will go with that one.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 1:18:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I have a pair of 5.56 zastavas, I'd consider the 5.56 PSA with the AR mag well I suppose.
View Quote

I'm with you in your opinion; I'd rather grab one of my AR pistols vs an AK just for the commonality of mags, parts and ammo. Plus my AR pistols have binaries already and I like the option of having that overwhelming violence available.

However, if AKs were my only options, I'd grab my STG3003C because it's in 5.56. I also know it will digest anything including the cheapest garbage ammo I can find and still function reliably.

However again, if/when 5.45 becomes more available (let's go PSA!) I'll go for my Saiga Legion in 5.45 with the Russian scope, hands down. They're an accurate combination.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 4:13:13 PM EDT
[#41]
DDI Ak47. Green Mountain bbl, forged trunnion and Hungarian parts kit.

It takes Magpul and communist mags, never failed to go bang whenever I've pulled the trigger, is surprisingly accurate with a Romeo5 onboard and although it's the only AK I own in a stable of ARs, I'd have no hesitation grabbing it first to defend the homestead.

Not sure what I should be concerned about it doing, being American made, jam, blow up?
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 10:50:48 PM EDT
[#42]
I have plenty of quality Russian, Bulgarian, and Polish AKs. Why would I grab an inferior American one?

I'd rather pick up an AR than an American-made AK. Even KUSA, who seemed to be the best poised to make actually decent US AKs, have had rapidly declining QC in recent times, as has happened with many US AK companies.

I can't think of a single American AK manufacturer that I would trust with my life during a bump in the night, let alone for SHTF.

For a US company to actually produce a quality AK on par with those made in military factories overseas, it'd probably end up costing $2k or so.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 11:28:36 PM EDT
[#43]
The only American made AK I own is a KR-103. I would grab my Galil ACE or Zastava M70 before any American made AK. I'm still tuning my Arsenal SAM-5 to my liking, so I would use a foreign made 7.62x39 or an American AR-15/AR-10 variant for SHTF scenarios.

In all seriousness, if I had to use an AK, foreign is the way to go. With good Serbian, Israeli and Bulgarian options, why bother with an American made one?
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 5:21:31 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The only American made AK I own is a KR-103. I would grab my Galil ACE or Zastava M70 before any American made AK. I'm still tuning my Arsenal SAM-5 to my liking, so I would use a foreign made 7.62x39 or an American AR-15/AR-10 variant for SHTF scenarios.

In all seriousness, if I had to use an AK, foreign is the way to go. With good Serbian, Israeli and Bulgarian options, why bother with an American made one?
View Quote

You are entitled to your own opinion just like anyone else. But I can tell you that over the last 30 years or so I have owned and shot Russian, Chinese, Serbian, and Romanian aks and I can tell you unequivocally PSA's premium aks are equal or superior to any foreign shit I have ever shot. They use forged trunions, bolts, and bolt carriers, just like the communist guns. And foreign manufactured barrels cannot hold a candle to FN's hammer forged, chrome-lined, machine gun steel barrels.

Link Posted: 11/7/2022 9:18:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You are entitled to your own opinion just like anyone else. But I can tell you that over the last 30 years or so I have owned and shot Russian, Chinese, Serbian, and Romanian aks and I can tell you unequivocally PSA's premium aks are equal or superior to any foreign shit I have ever shot. They use forged trunions, bolts, and bolt carriers, just like the communist guns. And foreign manufactured barrels cannot hold a candle to FN's hammer forged, chrome-lined, machine gun steel barrels.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/25872/IMG_0979-2590871.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/25872/IMG_0982-2590872.jpg
View Quote

You don't know that. We don't know how these newer generation PSAs hold up over the long term and at high round counts like we do with quality foreign AKs made in military factories with a 60+ year track record, and previous generations were decidedly bad.

PSA's quality control is rather poor as well, I see many PSA AKs have to be sent back for warranty work where I work. Far more than quality foreign imports. The last one I had come through last week wasn't even accepted for transfer because the machining in the carrier's lug turning channel was so rough that the bolt was sticky.

Not all forgings are equal, this wouldn't be the first time. And considering some of the deformation issues well documented on other sites, it would appear they are cutting corners somewhere, which is the only way to make their AK line financially viable. I'm sorry, but a PSA is simply not the equal of a quality Russian, Polish, or Bulgarian AK, and they do not have a long term track record of good performance.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 10:48:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You don't know that. We don't know how these newer generation PSAs hold up over the long term and at high round counts like we do with quality foreign AKs made in military factories with a 60+ year track record, and previous generations were decidedly bad.

PSA's quality control is rather poor as well, I see many PSA AKs have to be sent back for warranty work where I work. Far more than quality foreign imports. The last one I had come through last week wasn't even accepted for transfer because the machining in the carrier's lug turning channel was so rough that the bolt was sticky.

Not all forgings are equal, this wouldn't be the first time. And considering some of the deformation issues well documented on other sites, it would appear they are cutting corners somewhere, which is the only way to make their AK line financially viable. I'm sorry, but a PSA is simply not the equal of a quality Russian, Polish, or Bulgarian AK, and they do not have a long term track record of good performance.
View Quote

PSA CQ can be questionable at times but something they have that none of the import AKs have that Im aware of is a no questions asked warranty. PSA really stands behind there product and what the PSA company is doing as a whole for the American 2A cause is pretty amazing. Not seeing Arsenal or Zastava going all in on investing that much in the American market.

End of the day if you want a collectors piece get a import if you want something you can shoot, enjoy, beat on, can get fixed by the company and get back in service go PSA.

Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 11:05:23 AM EDT
[#47]
I see a lot of posts discussing why they would never consider an american made AK and that's fair. Its true we dont know the metallurgy behind how PSA's or KUSA's or any other american manufacturer holds up to that of a proven track record of arsenal or a saiga. We know that PSA and KUSA have been working hard to provide the American market with high quality clones or even improvements in some regards (FN Barrel) to the platform.

The reason I posed this question is because there are a lot of people still getting into guns, and we have to accept that in reality, not everyone is going to spend a 2-3k on an AK, especially now the way that things are going and have to accept that the new reality is here on our soil and there are some pretty good options out there. I can get behind that and support that.

I've only had 5-600 rounds through my PSA's and KUSA's and they've been great. Long term durability is something I'd like to see from someone who has it in their funds to go above and beyond 10k rounds and give us an update. There are pros and cons to both, but one thing I did really like was the accuracy I was getting from the FN barrel PSA put on an AK. Honestly we talk about Innovation and new stuff and how we'd like to see it. How can you not like an AK platfrom with an FN barrel? Genius
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 4:21:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Are you actually just asking which American AK is the best quality or are you genuinely asking which American AK could someone depend on in a SHTF situation?
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 4:21:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Edit: Posted twice somehow.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 4:41:48 PM EDT
[#50]
I rather like my PSA GF5 AK-E.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top