Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd make one of the full autos into an RPK.  You don't see many full auto RPK's out there, but seems like a lot of people make their full autos into krinks.  I think it would be more fun to have a full auto RPK than a krink, but I was a SAW and an M240B gunner in the Army, so I'm all about the bipods and more effective fire instead of just having a bullet hose..haha

I like this idea.

ETA:

Did you get a can of booty sweat in Da Nang?

Funny you mention that.  I do have a couple of the cans from the set.  Freaking funny stuff.  Even close up the ingredients etc written on the can are just funny even though you'd never see it on camera.

Well jealousy aside.

I must say you are going to have one of the most impressive AK collections on arfcom.

You will be in the hall of fame with:
Tx-Zen
Nictra
USN-Riverine
*others I might have forgotten

However, with your select fire builds, you sir will be on top.

This is a tag, and I'm subscribed.

Keep it up

While i do not doubt this, im pretty sure ive seen a few closet posters around with a few Select Fire AK's and well as an extensive collection in general. Dont think they were active posters though.

No doubt.

Just like anything, there are more extensive collections out there, for example theakforum.net has more than here.

I was just saying out of the usual suspects here on arfcom

True.

All i know is i will envy his FA Krink more than anything

I'm a fan of the idea of him using one of the receivers for a RPK-47/74......that would be so awesome
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 3:02:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Not the most exciting updated, but it's an update.

The receivers should be at my FFL early next week!

The Blue Jack v3.5 barrel just came in.  The v3.5 is the latest and greatest v5 barrels offered by BlueJack minus the gas port drilled in the groove.  Instead it's drilled in the land, but that won't make a difference with this build at all.

You can see the port drilled in the land here

Yep it fits

Link Posted: 3/16/2012 4:44:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 6:01:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Can't wait to see the finished builds
Link Posted: 3/19/2012 1:33:08 PM EDT
[#5]
The 74U LLC receivers arrived at my FFL today for the 69' Izzy AKM, the 83' Izzy AK74, and the 86' Tula AKS74U.  

The Yugo M92 receiver will still be a little while, but that is ok with me.  I'm only mailing off the AKM and AK-74 receivers this week to get built since I'm still waiting on the Form 1s for the AKS-74U and the M-92 anyways.

The work on these is awesome.  Each one is a little different to be accurate for the year, factory, and model.  Simply awesome!

Below are picture of them.  Notice the slight difference between each one, from the spot welds, to the selector markings, and even down to the three different trigger bumps.

With every picture below, from left to right is AKM, AK74, AKS74U, and from top to bottom is AKM, AK74, AKS74U

Hope you enjoyed!
Link Posted: 3/19/2012 1:50:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/19/2012 1:58:57 PM EDT
[#7]
badass
Link Posted: 3/19/2012 5:04:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
badass

Damn straight!

Can't wait to see them finished!
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 2:40:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Well the trigger groups and retainer plates finally came in.  I am boxing everything up tonight for the AK-74 and AKM to ship off tomorrow to Firing Line in Oklahoma.  I'm very excited that I'll get to enjoy these two guns by the beginning of summer!  Hopefully my Form 1s for the M-92 and AKS-74U come in a few months so I can get those done as well.  Thanks for all of the kind words everyone.

My delivery today...

The two for these two first builds...

Everything that is shipping off except for the magazines for the AK-74

Everything that is shipping off except for the magazines for the AKM

Link Posted: 3/26/2012 2:50:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Why use retainer plates when you are going to all this trouble and expense for historically accurate builds?  The shepards hook isn't difficult to use at all, just have to learn to do it right and not completely wrong like most guys do.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 2:56:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I can't wait to see the final result!
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 2:58:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Why use retainer plates when you are going to all this trouble and expense for historically accurate builds?  The shepards hook isn't difficult to use at all, just have to learn to do it right and not completely wrong like most guys do.

I like the retainer plates.  I'm still keeping all original parts like the hooks, as well as the original fire control groups in bags labeled to which gun they are from.  I just prefer the retainer plates a lot, as they make assembly and disassembly so much easier for me.  Non eof my guns live in safes, and all of them get shot a LOT and these will be no different, so anything to make cleaning easier is always nice especially when it's so easy to return back to original if I ever wanted to.

Link Posted: 3/27/2012 9:30:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Well, everything for the AKM and AK74 shipped off today.  Can't wait to get them back.

Since I have some AK registered full auto receivers that I have picked up (Waiting on transfer to my dealer), I want to keep the full auto FCGs for extra parts for them if I ever need them, and just b/c I hate to toss the original parts to these two semi auto guns.   Since I don't have these registered receivers yet, I dropped these full auto FCGs at my dealers place last night to hold onto for me until I get the registered receivers.  I like to play it safe.

I decided to do some caparison photos for you all to see the difference between full auto and semi auto parts.  When looking at these parts it is SOOO easy to see how full auto functions in the AK platform.  The full auto ban really is such a stupid ban, b/c any criminal that wanted to convert their semi auto AK to full auto would be able to very VERY easily in an afternoon.  The ban only hurts good citizens like myself who have to pay tons of money to build a full auto AK from a registered receiver.  Oh well the ban is here, and it's here to stay.

Anyways, here are some comparison photos for educational/curious purposes only.

Triggers are pretty much the same

You can see the full auto hammer has an extra "leg" on it to catch on the auto sear

Kind of how it catches I guess

On the left...what shipped with my AK parts to get build.  On the right...what is no longer in my possession, but instead is at a Class 3 dealers place until my full auto AK receivers/guns get transfered to me.

Link Posted: 3/27/2012 10:35:27 AM EDT
[#14]
[/quote]

Well jealousy aside.

I must say you are going to have one of the most impressive AK collections on arfcom.

Tx-Zen
Nictra
USN-Riverine

Keep it up[/quote]

I'm in a Hall of Fame? Thanks for the comments but my collection is not nearly as nice as some members, I go for quality over quantity. Cheers-
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 11:08:09 AM EDT
[#15]
You don't have to have your dealer hold onto the full auto parts.  There is nothing illegal about you having them.  Things only get illegal when you try to modify a semi auto receiver to be full auto.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 11:46:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Well jealousy aside.

Tx-Zen
Nictra
USN-Riverine

Keep it up[/quote]

I'm in a Hall of Fame? Thanks for the comments but my collection is not nearly as nice as some members, I go for quality over quantity. Cheers-
[/quote]

You have two of the finest 74 examples out there with all the correct gear, yes your in.

I'm talking quality here.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 12:22:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well jealousy aside.

Tx-Zen
Nictra
USN-Riverine

Keep it up

[/quote]

You have two of the finest 74 examples out there with all the correct gear, yes your in.

I'm talking quality here.[/quote]

Pictures or a link?  I always like inspiration.

Link Posted: 3/27/2012 12:24:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You don't have to have your dealer hold onto the full auto parts.  There is nothing illegal about you having them.  Things only get illegal when you try to modify a semi auto receiver to be full auto.

I know, it's just to be safe.  I like making sure I am not only within the law, but also not even close to being out of it.  It makes life easier.....and cheaper.  Plus they are just going to be in a bag either way unless the world comes to an end, or unless my registered receivers ever need parts.

Link Posted: 3/27/2012 6:33:22 PM EDT
[#19]
This whole thread is awesome.
Link Posted: 5/2/2012 12:56:40 PM EDT
[#20]
tag for status update, can't wait to see the finished goods.
Link Posted: 5/2/2012 1:12:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
tag for status update, can't wait to see the finished goods.

Link Posted: 5/2/2012 4:01:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Awesome thread, and awesome to see some younger like you getting deep into the AK's like this (as well as thoroughly educated on them), when most younger generation guys would rather just go play Ar-15 snap together with their buddies.

Curious about one thing here, will you be using the "rate reducer" or "hammer retarder" in your two FA builds? Or planning to just take the builder's advice on them?
I've heard and read many different arguments for and against them. Well actually, mostly arguments against them, and some that say they just aren't necessary but don't hurt.
Link Posted: 5/2/2012 7:31:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well the trigger groups and retainer plates finally came in.  I am boxing everything up tonight for the AK-74 and AKM to ship off tomorrow to Firing Line in Oklahoma.  I'm very excited that I'll get to enjoy these two guns by the beginning of summer!  Hopefully my Form 1s for the M-92 and AKS-74U come in a few months so I can get those done as well.  Thanks for all of the kind words everyone.

My delivery today...

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu302/michaelkih/DSC00691.jpg

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu302/michaelkih/DSC00692.jpg

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu302/michaelkih/DSC00694.jpg
http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu302/michaelkih/DSC00695.jpg

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu302/michaelkih/DSC00696.jpg
http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu302/michaelkih/DSC00697.jpg

Where do you get those '74 bakelites?  Russian Tula?
Link Posted: 5/2/2012 7:54:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the interest guys.  No real updates yet.  I mailed off the AKS-74U to Firing Line  just last week.  I also picked up a virgin east german AK74 barrel and had that shipped to the builder for the 74 build instead of using the pulled Bulgarian barrel.  Figured it was just a better start for the build.  I'll just hold onto the pulled Bulgarian barrel. Maybe one day I'll need it or sell it.

I was quoted 6 weeks for the AKM and AK74, so those should be getting done real soon.  I'll post a ton of pictures when I get them back.  The AKS-74U and M92 Form 1s will not be back to me though for atleast 2 more months :(
Link Posted: 5/2/2012 7:55:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Awesome thread, and awesome to see some younger like you getting deep into the AK's like this (as well as thoroughly educated on them), when most younger generation guys would rather just go play Ar-15 snap together with their buddies.

Curious about one thing here, will you be using the "rate reducer" or "hammer retarder" in your two FA builds? Or planning to just take the builder's advice on them?
I've heard and read many different arguments for and against them. Well actually, mostly arguments against them, and some that say they just aren't necessary but don't hurt.

Thanks man.  I have my fair share of ARs too.  I love tham as well.

I plan on not using a rate reducer, and will be turning the full auto receiver into a modified M92 for blasting fun.

Link Posted: 5/2/2012 7:58:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My delivery today...

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu302/michaelkih/DSC00691.jpg

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu302/michaelkih/DSC00692.jpg

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu302/michaelkih/DSC00694.jpg
http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu302/michaelkih/DSC00695.jpg

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu302/michaelkih/DSC00696.jpg
http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu302/michaelkih/DSC00697.jpg

Where do you get those '74 bakelites?  Russian Tula?

The EE and gunbroker.  I also have a pretty good source for them through e-mail.

Link Posted: 5/20/2012 5:56:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Progress so far.  Spoke to Mike the other day.  

The AKM build was perfect until they ran into a problem.  The barrel is 4/1000" too small for the front gas block.  Now looking for a smaller Russian or even a Polish gas block that will fit.  Either option will be made to look exactly like the original.

The AK74 build has begun, and everything is going great with it so far.  He comented on how nice the kits I had were especially the wood for the AK74.  Hopefully the 74 will be done in a week or so.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 8:59:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The AKM build was perfect until they ran into a problem.  The barrel is 4/1000" too small for the front gas block.  Now looking for a smaller Russian or even a Polish gas block that will fit.  Either option will be made to look exactly like the original.

Maybe have the inside of the gas block built up via welding and then have it rebored for proper press fit?

Link Posted: 5/21/2012 5:13:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe have the inside of the gas block built up via welding and then have it rebored for proper press fit?

.004 isn't much. I was thinking knurling or checkering on the bottom of the barrel, this would tighten it up and pull it down at the same time.
Link Posted: 5/21/2012 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

.004 isn't much. I was thinking knurling or checkering on the bottom of the barrel, this would tighten it up and pull it down at the same time.

He mentioned knurling, but also said that would probably cause some gas leakage.

Link Posted: 5/21/2012 6:17:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He mentioned knurling, but also said that would probably cause some gas leakage.

Possibly if you went all the way around but just on the bottom would seal the top where the port is by forcing it down. At least it would work in my mind. But with the amount of coin and attention to detail you are going with here, your probably better off finding a gas block of the correct size.

Good luck, can't wait to see these things when they are done.
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 7:27:06 PM EDT
[#32]
He managed to find a Russian one from the exact same era somehow from a guy in California and just swaped him!  I'm very happy about that.  The AK74 is done right now, and he said the AKM will be just a few more days.  It's getting close!!!!! :)
Link Posted: 5/25/2012 3:57:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
He managed to find a Russian one from the exact same era somehow from a guy in California and just swaped him!  I'm very happy about that.  The AK74 is done right now, and he said the AKM will be just a few more days.  It's getting close!!!!! :)

Im waiting for your entry into the akm/74 of the month contest when the category is either
Link Posted: 5/25/2012 8:57:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im waiting for your entry into the akm/74 of the month contest when the category is either

What's that?

Link Posted: 5/26/2012 9:52:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Can't wait. It must be so exciting!
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 8:43:51 AM EDT
[#36]
These guns look great!  Going to sight these two guns in on Wednesday.  I know you can see my feet, but I'm in a hurry and cant crop right now.  Sorry.

Still just waiting on the Form 1s for the M92 and the AKS-74U...

Also, this "tacticool" gun just got done as well :)

http://www.ak47.net/forums/t_4_98/143812_.html&page=1

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 9:30:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Badass
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 9:41:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 1:28:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Whats the finish on the metal?  Looks good, close to how the original Russian finishes seem to look.
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 3:56:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Whats the finish on the metal?  Looks good, close to how the original Russian finishes seem to look.

Duracoat.  I know some don't like it, but I have had great luck with it, and I specifically choose it because of the fact that it does look very close to the Russian coating.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top