BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 12:41:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I am sorry if this is a stupid question. How would I go about putting a std fixed wood stock on?

Ordered mine on Sunday. Damn this Thread.
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 1:13:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am sorry if this is a stupid question. How would I go about putting a std fixed wood stock on?

Ordered mine on Sunday. Damn this Thread.

You will need to either replace the rear trunion with one made for a stock or you could use an Ace folder and mount a wood stock to it. There is a thread in here about a folding wood stock set up. Otherwise, you need to replace the rear trunion. If you have a model C coming, you can easily install an underfolder...

Link Posted: 7/12/2011 1:17:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Holy... That much for the pushbutton? The regular ACE hinge/plate is only $59.

I was trying to decide whether I wanted a pushbutton Ace or not. I read a few comments that said the push button was much better than the non and then - as usual- found some that said the exact opposite and that it had more slop. I  ended up getting the non-push button with the intergrated AR adapter. Any comments about either or both would be appreciated...

My only Ace folder experience is with a Saiga 12 conversion, and I'm quite happy with it without a button. Although I couldn't say that the button isn't better having never tried one.

Thanks for the info. That's a good enough reccomendation for me.
The pro button camp was saying the non-button version does not lock into place well or comes (or could come)  unlocked during heavy use. While the no button camp said the button version may lock a bit better but has more play when locked. I am probably going to stick with the no button version I ordered..
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 1:25:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I was unloading 20 round drums of 12ga slugs and had no issues.

It takes a very deliberate and firm push to move the entire stock, compress the spring, and get past the wedge area of the locking block to get it to fold. Perhaps if you start slapping it around and letting it snap open and shut, it might wear, and perhaps this is what makes it easier. But when you get the thing, it's very stiff and tight.
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 2:05:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Is the Ace aluminum or steel?
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 5:25:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is the Ace aluminum or steel?

Aluminum.
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 5:31:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks. Do you know if the StormWerkx or cncwarrior is steel?

Basically I think I would like to tack weld it to the rear in addition to the bolts.

I guessed at 26" on my form 1, and will be going by my local police station tomorrow to grovel for a signature.
Link Posted: 7/13/2011 1:26:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I have both ACE side-folding mechanisms, with and without the button.  The button version is much, much easier to open/close and I've found it to be as sturdy as the non-button.  The non-button version comes with a sling loop and a drilled/tapped hole for it which is great, but it does take more time/effort to open & close.  Both are very good in my opinion and it depends on your preference and how much you want to spend.
M
Link Posted: 7/13/2011 5:23:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have both ACE side-folding mechanisms, with and without the button.  The button version is much, much easier to open/close and I've found it to be as sturdy as the non-button.  The non-button version comes with a sling loop and a drilled/tapped hole for it which is great, but it does take more time/effort to open & close.  Both are very good in my opinion and it depends on your preference and how much you want to spend.
M

That is exactly the information I was looking for... Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/15/2011 9:20:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Guess I should post a pic of my Mini.....

The stock is NOT attached in the pic....I have to get a tax stamp before being able to do so.   The stock pictured is for my VZ58 and I'll likely be putting a modified one (but shorter) on the Mini when the stamp comes in.

The receiver is full of paper towels in the pic b/c I'm doing some work on the internals (polishing/smoothing things out).

Ran 191 rounds....with 3 failures to extract in the first 60 rounds.  I'm certain two of the 3 FTEs were b/c I was limp wristing the gun.  If it continues to be a problem, I'll flex hone the chamber.

Anyway, it's a lot of fun to shoot....I think it'll make a really nice SBR.

Sean

Link Posted: 7/17/2011 12:00:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks good.
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 3:38:14 PM EDT
[#12]
VERY NICE....What quad rail is that?
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Krink Midwest Industries...part number MI-AK-K.

Sean
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 7:12:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Sorry if it was mentioned & I missed it when I was skimming, but this would make a cool gun to convert to 7.62X25 Tok.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 10:35:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sean

thanks Sean...

Link Posted: 7/19/2011 7:12:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sean

Looks great!  How much work was involved to get the rail modified and fit?
Link Posted: 7/19/2011 7:16:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Anyone that did a rail setup want to sell me their original wood?
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 7:08:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Anyone that did a rail setup want to sell me their original wood?

You can have mine if you pay shipping.  I'd guess $5.20 or so would cover it in a USPS flat rate box.  One word of caution....the bolt is already trying to strip. Threads are boogered up.

Sean
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 7:12:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sean

Looks great!  How much work was involved to get the rail modified and fit?

Very little modification needed.  I have an electric die grinder than I put cut off wheels on....a regular 90º pneumatic angle grinder with cut off wheels would work (or a straight one for that matter)....or even a dremel, a hacksaw (harder to control) or a coping saw (the aluminum is fairly soft).  I basically cut off two rail slots and followed the contour of the 2nd vent hole....you can then go straight down or angle it....I angled mine for a little more coverage.  Hit it with a file or some sandpaper and paint it and you're done.  Really simple. Shouldn't be able to shoot loose either as the top rail is right up against the front sight.

HTH,
Sean
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 11:09:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Sean:

I discovered "why" the threads on everyone's hot-dog bun handguard bolts are stripping out. I noticed this when I changed mine over to a quad-rail system. I took a brand new bolt and bottomed it out in it's threaded hole in the front sight/gas block. The screw went in and came out with clean threads. I then installed the hot-dog bun, and took it off again. The threads on the new bolt were buggered this time. Close inspection showed the hold through the handguard is not straight. The bolt sits at a 3 or 4 degree angle which is just enough to cross thread the bolt. Since the steel of the gas block is much harder then the bolt, guess which one gets buggered? I would bet anything their jig is off a little and "every" handguard is drilled off.

Just my observation,

MadDog
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 11:13:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Sean:

I discovered "why" the threads on everyone's hot-dog bun handguard bolts are stripping out. I noticed this when I changed mine over to a quad-rail system. I took a brand new bolt and bottomed it out in it's threaded hole in the front sight/gas block. The screw went in and came out with clean threads. I then installed the hot-dog bun, and took it off again. The threads on the new bolt were buggered this time. Close inspection showed the hold through the handguard is not straight. The bolt sits at a 3 or 4 degree angle which is just enough to cross thread the bolt. Since the steel of the gas block is much harder then the bolt, guess which one gets buggered? I would bet anything their jig is off a little and "every" handguard is drilled off.

Just my observation,

MadDog

Hmm...interesting.  I just assumed it was b/c there were so few threads (like 5 or maybe 6 at most) that the bolt actually threaded into.  Since it kept coming loose, and I kept snugging it up between mags, I just ASSumed that I was overtightening and stripping the few 5-6 threads going into the FSB casting.

Sean
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 11:41:23 AM EDT
[#22]
I had the same issue. Some filing of material off the back of the handguard allowed it to go back further. Maybe not quite far enough.

Still, I don't think that thin screw is going to work, and am thinking about welding a larger nut or block to the pad, drilling & tapping it for a larger bolt, and use a cap screw rather than the straight slot screw.
Link Posted: 7/25/2011 2:25:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
http://timandevemcbride.com/images/work/mini_draco_sbr.jpg
http://timandevemcbride.com/images/work/YHM_Mini_Draco.jpg

SBR Done

- Modified Midwest Industries 4 Rail system
- Houge Grip
- YHM Phantom Flash Hider / Slant Brake (Can't Decide Which I like Better)
- ACE AR Folding Stock Adapter
- Magpul MOE Stock
- SIG Sauer Red Dot

I'd sure like to see a couple pics of that with the stock folded!
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 6:11:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Guys just use the washer fix. It works.

My 100m range report.

Ran it hot, and hard. No issues. Excepting useless 200m marking on rear sight.

Mini Draco.  7.5 inch brl prone rested.

100m first 5.

never did try for a group at 200. Just learned where to hit the gong.

Fired a total of 160 rounds 60 were hollow points.

Most were fired at 15- 25 yards.

No jams. No FTF. No malfs.

Buffer is unmarred.

Criticism: The range markings are bullshi& fired at 200 gong. Had to aim below the target to hit it with the sight set at 100 to get a hit... with the sight set at 200 it was shooting 3ft over the target. Seems the bullet rises within the ballistic window provided by the short barrel. 300 seems on target for BDE markings of rear sight.... but could only scare the 10 inch gong at 300.

Gun is only useful out to 200. Set your sight for POI at 100 and remember to aim at their crotch at 200.

more action shots.

The circles are 3inches.

Alot more shots were not uploaded.  106 degrees. Ouch.

All shots were taken in rough prone. .. no bean bags.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 9:18:41 PM EDT
[#25]
That's a bad ass weapon.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:21:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've seen pics posted on two forums now, and from my quick searching it looks like Century may be importing these also. 7.5" DRACO!

Anybody here have one yet??

Oh boy oh boy oh boy......

Century Arms IS the only importer of all DRACO pistols.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 10:20:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Can someone please tell me, is the rear trunnion on these just like the one on a normal Draco or is it a special trunnion somehow altered for the recoil buffer?

I'm really just wondering if there's a way I could replace the rear trunnion with a standard stamped trunnion to mount a fixed stock. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 11:23:57 AM EDT
[#28]
I am not sure, but I did test fit the rubber buffer thing in a Chinese AK (preban fixed stock 56) and it fit perfectly.

The rear trunnion isn't setup for a fixed stock, but if someone wanted to weld up the original holes and drill news ones it should be an easy install.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 12:34:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've seen pics posted on two forums now, and from my quick searching it looks like Century may be importing these also. 7.5" DRACO!

Anybody here have one yet??

Oh boy oh boy oh boy......

Century Arms IS the only importer of all DRACO pistols.

We're aware. "Also" meant "as well as standard Dracos".
Link Posted: 8/17/2011 3:28:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Reading a couple of different forums on the mini draco and rumor has been started that a rep from Century Arms stated that they will no longer be importing the pistol. Not sure if this is true was wondering if anyone knows?J&G Sales no longer has them available.
Link Posted: 8/17/2011 3:55:48 AM EDT
[#31]
What? Noooooooo
Link Posted: 8/17/2011 9:07:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Why would they stop importing something that sold out both shipments more or less instantly?
Link Posted: 8/17/2011 11:23:05 AM EDT
[#33]
It is a rumor talked to century arms today, demand is high for the weapon and sold as soon as they come onto market. But did get some cool info. on the new Centurion 39 ak pistol, an upgrade to the draco with quad rail, birdcage muzzlebreak, sharkfin sights and not an import...looks beast.
Link Posted: 8/17/2011 11:42:22 AM EDT
[#34]
classic arms has them in stock right now:

http://classicarms.us/
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 5:21:04 PM EDT
[#35]
I just ordered a Mini Draco from Classicarms.us and it already shipped this afternoon.

I was thinking about the best way to install a quad rail system, and an idea popped up in my head. Is it possible to just cut down the front sight so that it is flush enough for the rail system to be installed without modification? I realize this will require some kind of new front sight system to be installed, but I will most likely be putting a Micro red dot on the pistol anyways, in conjunction with a BUIS system.
Does anyone have any feedback on if this option is even possible, or if it's been done before? I've searched the threads high and low and haven't come across anything close to this idea yet......Unfortunately, I will not be able to check out my new toy till this Fall.....

Appreciate any feedback!
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 10:10:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Really to tell ya the truth I think you will spend more money and time removing and replacing the front sight instead of just buying a full size handguard and spending about 45 minutes to modify to fit. But would be interesting to see what it would look like.
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 12:31:44 PM EDT
[#37]
One of the reps from Midwest Industries posted that they're now working on developing a quad rail that fits the mini draco. So if you hold off for a few more weeks you could probably just buy one.
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 12:35:09 PM EDT
[#38]
I called classic yesterday, the mini draco is on backorder and she said it would be 60-90 days and they did not know how many they had coming. They have none in stock, just like every other dealer.

If you had one shipped yesterday, I think she fed you with a line of bullshit and you are on the "waiting" list. I would bet you have a draco C coming if something did ship.

Also she stated she would take my order for one, but they would not charge or ship until they arrived. I'm not sure how you can take an order when you don't even know how many will be coming.

The centurion 39 is NOT a mini draco. Its a modified Draco C, so you are not comparing apples to apples.

if I had to bet, there probably are no more coming in to the usa
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 2:44:13 PM EDT
[#39]
I spoke to my contact at Century and while not a certainty, it is quite possible that there are no more Minis
coming in. Whatever is here could be it. I am getting one more just in case...

I don't want to sound like an alarmist- and many new shipments may ensue. However, mine has been so smooth, particularly since I added the MI rail, that I want another. One will be SBR, one stock config, except MI rail and a handstop.
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 3:22:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Well, sounds like I might just wait and see if MI comes out with a Mini Draco rail option.

I checked my email again, and it definitely shipped yesterday......and my credit card was charged as well.......so I guess i'll keep my fingers crossed and see what shows up at my FFL! Who knows....I might have snagged the last one from Classic.....
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 3:28:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Well, sounds like I might just wait and see if MI comes out with a Mini Draco rail option.

I checked my email again, and it definitely shipped yesterday......and my credit card was charged as well.......so I guess i'll keep my fingers crossed and see what shows up at my FFL! Who knows....I might have snagged the last one from Classic.....

If they billed your credit card and told you it shipped, I bet you are getting one.

If MI does not, cutting the standard MI rail down is not too hard.

Link Posted: 8/23/2011 11:19:27 AM EDT
[#42]
I called classic again, they said they don't have any, haven't had any since I called last week.

Post a pic of what they sent you as I am curious... I hope you got a mini, but I am betting it is not.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 3:27:02 PM EDT
[#43]
I just got word from my buddy (my FFL) that it arrived....he confirmed it's the Mini.......pics are coming shortly (I'm overseas right now, so I am waiting for him to take some for me).

On a separate note, I contacted Midwest Industries and they confirmed that as soon as they receive the Mini they have on order, they are going to start working on a handguard/rail system. Let's hope they get it sooner than later!
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 5:06:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I just got word from my buddy (my FFL) that it arrived....he confirmed it's the Mini.......pics are coming shortly (I'm overseas right now, so I am waiting for him to take some for me).

On a separate note, I contacted Midwest Industries and they confirmed that as soon as they receive the Mini they have on order, they are going to start working on a handguard/rail system. Let's hope they get it sooner than later!

I received the same info from MI and am looking forward to their Mini rail as well.
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 6:35:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I received the same info from MI and am looking forward to their Mini rail as well.

Looking forward to it

Link Posted: 9/13/2011 9:27:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Does anyone have the how-to on removing the weld on the muzzle nut? The pin that normally pushes in to remove the slant brake(like on my Polytech) is frozen. Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 9:38:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Does anyone have the how-to on removing the weld on the muzzle nut? The pin that normally pushes in to remove the slant brake(like on my Polytech) is frozen. Any help would be appreciated.

I dremelled thevnut from the sid with a cuttin wheel, easy to do.  Not sure on the pin, mine was fine.
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 5:15:09 AM EDT
[#48]
The pin finally came free. So just cut the spot weld?
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 5:24:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The pin finally came free. So just cut the spot weld?

Yep.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 1:13:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
One of the reps from Midwest Industries posted that they're now working on developing a quad rail that fits the mini draco. So if you hold off for a few more weeks you could probably just buy one.

Awesome news. I am waiting for these to come out.  I want one for my Mini Draco.
Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top