Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 4:06:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My take on this, it needs to have the optic portion of the rail mounted over the topcover dog leg style off the lower front handguard. Also with a rail that close to the gas tube- it will eventually exceed the heat duration of most optics. It also needs to have the upper rail QD from the lower for cleaning. Finally, needs to be underfolder and sidefolder applicable while allowing the cleaning rod to be attached. Not impressed with much of anything produced for AK rifles in the USA but I have a few ideas that I might try to work with some manufacturers on.

It's better than the single most popular solution, the Ultimak, and people still seem to luuuuv the Ultimak. At least it doesn't touch the gas tube at all. And there are already a couple dogleg/dust cover mounts. MI making one would be redundant.

No one makes a dogleg rail over the topcover that is attached to the lower front handguard. It hasn't been built yet. The Ultimak is a poor design as well.
Link Posted: 11/23/2011 5:57:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My take on this, it needs to have the optic portion of the rail mounted over the topcover dog leg style off the lower front handguard. Also with a rail that close to the gas tube- it will eventually exceed the heat duration of most optics. It also needs to have the upper rail QD from the lower for cleaning. Finally, needs to be underfolder and sidefolder applicable while allowing the cleaning rod to be attached. Not impressed with much of anything produced for AK rifles in the USA but I have a few ideas that I might try to work with some manufacturers on.

It's better than the single most popular solution, the Ultimak, and people still seem to luuuuv the Ultimak. At least it doesn't touch the gas tube at all. And there are already a couple dogleg/dust cover mounts. MI making one would be redundant.

No one makes a dogleg rail over the topcover that is attached to the lower front handguard. It hasn't been built yet. The Ultimak is a poor design as well.

CAA did (past-tense). It's a cool piece but heavy and doesn't allow for co-witness. IIRC MAKO produce one. Why do you need to have the optic rail cantilever over from the handguard? MI's micro-dot, or the TWS dust cover scope rail are better solutions, the latter even allowing for a 1-4x or a collimator and magnifier.
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 2:00:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CAA did (past-tense). It's a cool piece but heavy and doesn't allow for co-witness. IIRC MAKO produce one. Why do you need to have the optic rail cantilever over from the handguard? MI's micro-dot, or the TWS dust cover scope rail are better solutions, the latter even allowing for a 1-4x or a collimator and magnifier.

Mako has that huge rail setup that does indeed run a rail over the top cover, but it's expensive, huge and heavy-ish.  It's still pretty cool, but still.
The Ultimac gas tube mounting seems to work but damn, you don't put shit on your hot ass gas tube if you shoot much.

Also, screw a cleaning road.  Screw having to take off a gastube to clean the thing.  And screw an underfolder.  
RS Regulate is going to provide me a co-witness QD optic mount that keeps the weight over the center of the
receiver instead of hung all forward.  MI is providing me a way to put a light up high on the sides to keep
the damn shadow of the barrel off whatever I'm trying to put holes in, and a farther forward than usually possible
VFG position, and the option of changing things around a bit if I decide what works on my AR don't work on an AK.
I looked at those dog-leg or whatever they are called that replace the receiver cover, I just don't see a point when
a perfectly serviceable side mount is already there on the receiver and is plenty proven tech.

Link Posted: 12/5/2011 5:10:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 8:48:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Got mine in and installed. Installation was super easy, just as with the standard rail system. You do have to remove the sling loop from the handguard retainer cap, but just a couple of minutes with the dremel and it was done. I loved the standard MI rail I had on this rifle. I like the X version even better. Gives me a LOT more area to grip, and, plenty of room to mount a light. As a testament to the precision in which these are made, I re-used the topcover from my previous short rail with my Aimpoint T-1 on it, and once installed, it was almost identically in the same spot, as determined by referencing the dot in relation to the iron sights. All in all, I really like this one and cant wait to get some time in with it.

Looks great! I was wondering if are you able to mount only the bottom proton of the rail? Or you'll need both to work together?
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 8:55:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Would this install on a Norinco Hunter?
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 9:20:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 10:06:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 11:00:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Do these heat up like the wood grips?  About my only complaint with the AK is that it gets uncomfortable to hold after firing for awhile.
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 8:04:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Got mine in and installed. Installation was super easy, just as with the standard rail system. You do have to remove the sling loop from the handguard retainer cap, but just a couple of minutes with the dremel and it was done. I loved the standard MI rail I had on this rifle. I like the X version even better. Gives me a LOT more area to grip, and, plenty of room to mount a light. As a testament to the precision in which these are made, I re-used the topcover from my previous short rail with my Aimpoint T-1 on it, and once installed, it was almost identically in the same spot, as determined by referencing the dot in relation to the iron sights. All in all, I really like this one and cant wait to get some time in with it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Guns/MI_X1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Guns/MI_X2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Guns/MI_X3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Guns/MI_X4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Guns/MI_X5.jpg

I really like that AK, can you provide some specs on some of the parts, not knowledgeable on AK items like I am the AR...

Thanks!

Link Posted: 12/8/2011 8:37:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Would it work on a saiga, and does it come with the top guard, Id be interested in the bottom only if it fit a saiga, and doesnt need the normal ak retainer guard plates.

I second that. There's a whole market segment for the Saiga rifles and shotguns that MI needs to address.

I'm not crazy about the forends that are currently available for Saigas right now.

Link Posted: 12/8/2011 9:04:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 9:06:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 9:38:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mako has that huge rail setup that does indeed run a rail over the top cover, but it's expensive, huge and heavy-ish.  It's still pretty cool, but still.
The Ultimac gas tube mounting seems to work but damn, you don't put shit on your hot ass gas tube if you shoot much.

Also, screw a cleaning road.  Screw having to take off a gastube to clean the thing.  And screw an underfolder.  
RS Regulate is going to provide me a co-witness QD optic mount that keeps the weight over the center of the
receiver instead of hung all forward.  MI is providing me a way to put a light up high on the sides to keep
the damn shadow of the barrel off whatever I'm trying to put holes in, and a farther forward than usually possible
VFG position, and the option of changing things around a bit if I decide what works on my AR don't work on an AK.
I looked at those dog-leg or whatever they are called that replace the receiver cover, I just don't see a point when
a perfectly serviceable side mount is already there on the receiver and is plenty proven tech.

Link Posted: 12/9/2011 5:33:32 AM EDT
[#15]
so let me ask another question, do you offer this rail with an underfolder cut? I may have missed it if you already stated this...
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 9:11:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd be interested as well in an underfolder cut lower handguard and only if I could still use my cleaning rod.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 5:15:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 9:03:14 PM EDT
[#18]
So has anyone confirmed this will work on a Saiga?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top