Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/29/2022 10:16:22 PM EDT
Are there options to attaching a flash hider to an AK 74 that does not have a threaded barrel?
I see there are kits available for other rifles that have screw on attachments.
So without having to get it threaded, are there options!
THANKS!
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 11:47:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Clamp.on stuff is OK but I wouldn't trust it, especially if you want to hang a suppressor off the end.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 12:19:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 10:41:42 AM EDT
[#3]
what model 74 do you have w/o a threaded muzzle?
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 12:30:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Romanian SAR
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 12:42:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 8:25:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Either replace it with a proper threaded FSB, or if in a communist state, move.

One could also use a slip-over brake and drill it for a cross pin, that's how SAR3s are done.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 8:13:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Romanian SAR
View Quote
the Romanians use a different, and hard to find, FSB. IIRC, on the SARs you can 1/2x28, but not 14x1, barrel is too thin.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 9:03:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the Romanians use a different, and hard to find, FSB. IIRC, on the SARs you can 1/2x28, but not 14x1, barrel is too thin.
View Quote

You are correct...the Romanians use a 22mm FSB vs the normal 24mm. The easiest way to tell them apart is the bayonet lug on the Romanian FSB is directly below the sight, while the 24mm FSBs have the lug behind the FSB. The Romanian FS is longer, thinner and shaped differently too. Both the Romanian FSB and FS are very hard to find and expensive when you do find them, probably in the neighborhood of $250+ for both.

OP, you do have options though. Yes, you can thread the barrel at 1/2x28, which is very easy to do, or you can use a 24mm FSB and FS. It's what I did to my Romanian AK-74 many years ago because I figured I could then search for a correct FSB and replace the current setup. Well, here I am 15+ years later and have yet to find a 22mm combo.

Compare mine to an Atlantic file pic and you'll see the subtle differences

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top