Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/5/2024 11:53:05 PM EDT

Please watch before Youtube takes it down.

I think the use of a punch for disassembly has to do with Russian gun laws. He also mentions that it cannot be fired with the stock folded.

They could still make some improvements to make it on par or superior to the Sig 550, Galil ACE and FN SCAR in my opinion. A non-reciprocating charging handle and an improved safety selector would be a great start.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 12:22:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By themao:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R5YKIKVVho

Please watch before Youtube takes it down.

I think the use of a punch for disassembly has to do with Russian gun laws. He also mentions that it cannot be fired with the stock folded.

They could still make some improvements to make it on par or superior to the Sig 550, Galil ACE and FN SCAR in my opinion. A non-reciprocating charging handle and an improved safety selector would be a great start.
View Quote

Love the video, super depressed due to its unobtanium status.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 6:19:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TX-Zen] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By InfamousAK:

View Quote
This is me as well

Thanks mao, cool video. I see he has a KNS piston as well even on a 223 rifle, and all the way over there in Russia. Interesting
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 2:49:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool rifle! But some issues I see with design.

1. Handguard is too short, again. Are all Russian designers 5'6" with T-rex arms?

2. Lack of upper handguard? Looks like basically you're touching gas tube or the metal receiver attached directly to gas tube. Gonna be a thumb/finger burner, especially with that happy switch.

3. Design adds a bunch more parts and complexity to the design, I realize new features require it, but time will tell if that's a good thing or more potential failure points.

I agree with themao that a non-reciprocating CH would be great. Good handguards, top and bottom would be a plus. I think you could re-design the gas piston to be slimmer at the contact point, basically same width of the stem, and lower the whole top deck of the rifle, kinda like an AR where gas flow is closer to barrel, and make the rifle thumbover capable like an AR, it really is an improved way to grip and control the rifle.

One day if I ever hit the BIG lotto, I swear i'm taking a trip to SC to see Josiah and Jamin and pay them bigly to help me design and build the perfect AK. I can see it all in my head so clearly, and every time I work on my own rifles, it's frustrating because it would be so simple....

Link Posted: 7/6/2024 8:14:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm surprised even the Sureshot guys have their hands on one of these rifles. Russia is in dire straights right now. I can't imagine there being much of any resources to produce new rifles for anyone other than the military at this point (AK-12s, AK-74Ms). They are employing labor from Africa and North Korea to help manufacture just about everything (drones, bombs, missiles, components, etc).

https://www.wsj.com/world/the-russian-drone-plant-that-could-shape-the-war-in-ukraine-7abd5616

Maybe some day we'll see a AK import that is modernized, perhaps from the Turks or the Bulgarians. Zastava may still give us the M19 down the road. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zastava_M19

I am also waiting for the Krebs Custom M23. I still think my Galil ACE is hard to beat at this point in the AK world, despite the limitations of the top cover.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 11:38:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mancat] [#5]
Pretty sure they have been making them for civilian sale long before the Ukraine business. Maybe a slight used example?

Iirc before the first round of Russian sanctions after the initial 2014 invasion there was talk of bringing in sporter variants of the base AK-12 design under the Saiga line
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 4:06:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Latest AKV 521 - IN FIRING RANGE

I think it was just being rolled out during the invasion. It was in prototype stage not too long ago. This video above is from 2020.

This video is from June 2022 when it was introduced, a few months after the invasion:

Kalashnikov JUST REVEALED New Assault Rifle REVIEW

Quote from the description:

How It Came About
The Kalashnikov AKV-521 was developed upon request of Russian users who extensively use LPVO optics together with Thermal/NV Clip-ons and Weapon lights/IR illuminators on their go-guns. The Kalashnikov AKV-521 was first announced via social networks in late 2020 in semi-auto version geared toward the civilian market.
Kalashnikov AKV-521 is built upon a strong foundation of original Kalashnikov AK system, but with many modern features. Designed by team led by Valentin Vlasenko, the AKV-521 is intended to provide users with modular, multi-caliber weapon which solves key problem inherent to basic AK-47 type platform – lack of a stable base for mounting modern LPVO optics and NV devices. To achieve this goal, the Kalashnikov AKV-521 is designed with basic layout similar to weapons such as SIG SG 550 or FN FNC. This means that instead of the traditional U-shaped receiver with detachable top cover the AKV-521 now features separate upper receiver with solid top, and a lower receiver which houses trigger and magazine. Due to modular nature of the gun, it is planned to be offered with optional additional upper receivers with barrels, allowing for quick caliber or configuration change. The Kalashnikov AKV-521 carbine was scheduled to enter initial serial production by mid-2021 and offered in several most popular intermediate calibers, such as 5.45x39mm, 5.56x45mm and 7.62x39mm, and with two barrel lengths, standard 415 mm and short 345 mm.

The Reason Behind AKV 521
The primary reason for designing the 500-series rifles is probably the need for having a solid full-length top Picatinny rail. Kalashnikov’s Avtomat originally didn’t have any optics mounting provision as the gun was designed in an era where scopes were specialized gadgets and not something that every rifleman was supposed to be equipped with. Later on, facing a need for mounting scopes on AKs, some rifles were fitted with the side scope mount. In 100-series AKs, the side rail became standard. While the side rail is not a bad scope mounting solution, it has its limitations in terms of scope location and ergonomics. With the adoption of AK-12 and AK-15 rifles, the Russian military ditched the side rail and transitioned to using the Picatinny rail on large scale. However, these rifles have a Picatinny rail on the receiver top cover and although the Kalashnikov Concern came up with an advanced way of top cover attachment, it’s arguably not ideal either. Now, in the AKV-521, the railed upper receiver and barrel are basically “permanently” attached to each other. We think it is safe to say that this series of rifles will be the factory Russian AKs with the most rigid and reliable top Picatinny rail.

How It Works
The Kalashnikov AKV-521 uses traditional Kalashnikov-type gas operated system with long stroke piston and rotating 2-lugs bolt. Major departure from traditional layout is that charging handle is moved to the left side of the bolt carrier and is made detachable for disassembly. Charging handle slot is covered by a spring-loaded dust cover, similar to that used on the FN FNC or IWI Galil ACE rifle. Gas system, with fixed gas tube welded to the upper receiver, and with removable maintenance plug at the front is taken off the Kalashnikov AK-12 rifle. Both the upper and the lower receiver are made from stamped steel. Upper receiver formed from 1.5mm thick steel sheet, with forged and machined barrel trunnion pinned at the front. Additional strength is provided by bolt carrier rails and the rear cross-bridge, pinned inside the receiver. Lower receiver of AKV-521 is based on the receiver of the AK-12 rifle, with necessary modifications at the front and at the rear.
View Quote

Remember, pre-war, Russians were limited to what I believe was ownership of 5 guns total. Hence, an AK variant that can take different uppers and calibers, would be of huge benefit. It’s the reason you see AR variants in Russia. At least, that it how it was explained to me some time ago. Not sure if it is still true or not.

Regardless, hopefully we see these, or an improved version, come to light in the future. I think the closest things we will get to the AKV-521 though will be the Zastava M19 and the Krebs M23.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 9:31:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By TX-Zen:
This is me as well

Thanks mao, cool video. I see he has a KNS piston as well even on a 223 rifle, and all the way over there in Russia. Interesting
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TX-Zen:
Originally Posted By InfamousAK:

This is me as well

Shame someone here couldn't make one................closest we will get is the PSA VUK
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top