Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/24/2024 4:46:32 PM EDT
Being in WA state, selling my fixed stock OPAP and buying a folding stock version isn’t an option since I can keep what I have and that is it and I’m not holding my breath on the federal courts/Supreme Court to do the right thing… In my lifetime.

Anyway, looking for somebody that can to this correctly and doesn’t take a year to do it. I have the complete rear folding stock assembly and proper rear folding stock trunnion for this project.

Along with the folding stock installation, I’m also looking to having the following done;

- Remove the L/S scope mount AND weld up the holes
- Remove the current gas block AND add the version w/ grenade sights
- Remove the current front sight block AND add the flip-up night sight version
- Remove the current rear sight AND add the flip down covered night sight version
- Refinish the whole thing in the proper shade of black to mimic the original finish of a military rifle.

Basically, converting it into a military version from the 1980s.

Btw, the front sight block and the rear sight flip down covered rear sights are missing and would be long dead anyway, so just adding some glow in the dark paint to fill those areas would be fine… Since that’s close enough for me.

Thanks for any advice on getting this done!

Link Posted: 6/24/2024 5:03:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Troy at In Range has always done good work for me.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 9:05:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mancat] [#2]
I'm sure you already know this but there has been no clear answer from anyone regarding whether or not you will actually be able to have the rifle transferred back to you as per the new WA laws. If you send it out of state you may never see it again.

There's one person over on the Waguns subreddit who had Keltec refuse to ship a serviced rifle back to him. He had to have it shipped to an out of state FFL and pick it up in person which itself is in a legal grey zone
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 10:40:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 8:39:08 AM EDT
[#4]
technically.....you are sending it in for repair, so it doesn't need a transfer back to you. You can ship direct to gunsmith and it can ship directly back to your door.

You can do the same thing when shipping a gun out of state for hunting. You ship to yourself to the address you're staying at and then ship it back home to yourself.

Those are Federal rules, I've done in multiple states. Maybe check the ATF web site.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 3:59:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nictra:
technically.....you are sending it in for repair, so it doesn't need a transfer back to you. You can ship direct to gunsmith and it can ship directly back to your door.

You can do the same thing when shipping a gun out of state for hunting. You ship to yourself to the address you're staying at and then ship it back home to yourself.

Those are Federal rules, I've done in multiple states. Maybe check the ATF web site.
View Quote

You got at least one manufacturer that I posted above who is refusing to ship back a repaired product to WA

Doesn't the repair exemption only apply to the original manufacturer/importer?
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 9:55:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nictra] [#6]
again I do not know. I have sent out rifles to gunsmiths out of state multiple times and ship direct, and then had them shipped direct back to me. I haven't looked at the ATF website about the rules in a few years, so you might want to before taking my word for it. I do know it was how it worked once upon a time.

ETA:

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/0813-firearms-top-12-qaspdf/download

5. May I lawfully ship a firearm to myself in a different State?
Any person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in the care of another person in the State
where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be
- 5 -
addressed to the owner of the firearm "in the care of" the out-of-State resident. Upon reaching
its destination, persons other than the owner of the firearm must not open the package or take
possession of the firearm. The out-of-State resident is encouraged to place the package in

I can only find shipping for repair that deals with NFA items. Maybe someone can find the info for non-NFA:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/undefined/atf-national-firearms-act-handbook-chapter-9/download

9.5.1 Repair of firearms. ATF does not consider the temporary conveyance of an NFA firearm to an
FFL for repair to be a "transfer" under the NFA. Thus, a transfer application is not required to convey
the firearm for repair or to return the repaired firearm to its owner/possessor. Nevertheless, in order to
avoid any appearance that a "transfer" has taken place, ATF recommends that a Form 5 application be
submitted for approval prior to conveying the firearm for repair. It is also recommended that the FFL
making repairs obtain an approved Form 5 to return a repaired firearm. If Forms 5 are not used to
convey a firearm for repair or return the repaired firearm to the owner, the parties should maintain
documentation showing that the conveyance was for purposes of repair, identifying the firearm, and
showing the anticipated time for repair. Approved Forms 5, or the recommended documentation, will
show that an unlawful "transfer" did not take place and that the FFL making the repairs is not in
unlawful possession of the firearm. A non-FFL who proposes to transport a destructive device,
machinegun, or short-barrel shotgun or rifle interstate to an FFL for repair should first obtain an
approved ATF Form 5320.20 before transporting the firearm.

If the ATF doesn't consider it a transfer for an NFA item, I would think they would feel the same about a non-NFA item, but again, I'd check 1st.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 10:40:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Citadel-SC] [#7]
I had this done recently on a Zpap minus the folder. I used Two Rivers Arms, they specialize in Yugo rifles and the turnaround was good. They even fabricated a Zrak M89 rail from scratch as I had the optic but not the rail. They removed the zastava rail and installed all the correct military components and re-blued the rifle. They do great work.

Link Posted: 6/26/2024 12:03:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Man, I feel for you guys in WA state, that patently illegal and un-constitutional ban ought to be struck down by SCOTUS.

Perhaps you could contact Turbothis as he's in your state, and thus avoid potential issues, he does great work, but only thing he doesn't do last time I checked, is re-finishing, but that shouldn't be a big issue, probably find another company in your state that can do that part of the job if you don't want to tackle it yourself.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 12:06:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By nictra:
again I do not know. I have sent out rifles to gunsmiths out of state multiple times and ship direct, and then had them shipped direct back to me. I haven't looked at the ATF website about the rules in a few years, so you might want to before taking my word for it. I do know it was how it worked once upon a time.

ETA:

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/0813-firearms-top-12-qaspdf/download

5. May I lawfully ship a firearm to myself in a different State?
Any person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in the care of another person in the State
where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be
- 5 -
addressed to the owner of the firearm "in the care of" the out-of-State resident. Upon reaching
its destination, persons other than the owner of the firearm must not open the package or take
possession of the firearm. The out-of-State resident is encouraged to place the package in

I can only find shipping for repair that deals with NFA items. Maybe someone can find the info for non-NFA:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/undefined/atf-national-firearms-act-handbook-chapter-9/download

9.5.1 Repair of firearms. ATF does not consider the temporary conveyance of an NFA firearm to an
FFL for repair to be a "transfer" under the NFA. Thus, a transfer application is not required to convey
the firearm for repair or to return the repaired firearm to its owner/possessor. Nevertheless, in order to
avoid any appearance that a "transfer" has taken place, ATF recommends that a Form 5 application be
submitted for approval prior to conveying the firearm for repair. It is also recommended that the FFL
making repairs obtain an approved Form 5 to return a repaired firearm. If Forms 5 are not used to
convey a firearm for repair or return the repaired firearm to the owner, the parties should maintain
documentation showing that the conveyance was for purposes of repair, identifying the firearm, and
showing the anticipated time for repair. Approved Forms 5, or the recommended documentation, will
show that an unlawful "transfer" did not take place and that the FFL making the repairs is not in
unlawful possession of the firearm. A non-FFL who proposes to transport a destructive device,
machinegun, or short-barrel shotgun or rifle interstate to an FFL for repair should first obtain an
approved ATF Form 5320.20 before transporting the firearm.

If the ATF doesn't consider it a transfer for an NFA item, I would think they would feel the same about a non-NFA item, but again, I'd check 1st.
View Quote

This is the way it's always been, but WA passed that crappy law and may now think they can do other illegal things. There should be Federal pre-emption of such things, but considering the FED is nothing but a bunch of criminals themselves these days, the scumbags on the left coast think they can do whatever they like with no repercussions.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 12:59:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 2:14:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:
Man, I feel for you guys in WA state, that patently illegal and un-constitutional ban ought to be struck down by SCOTUS.

Perhaps you could contact Turbothis as he's in your state, and thus avoid potential issues, he does great work, but only thing he doesn't do last time I checked, is re-finishing, but that shouldn't be a big issue, probably find another company in your state that can do that part of the job if you don't want to tackle it yourself.
View Quote

I believe he is now in Oregon after his old place burned down.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Top Top