Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2018 6:48:11 PM EDT
Currently I have a Serbian M92 PAP, I have owned AKs on and off for years I always end up selling them.
I traded into the MPAP and thought I would keep it thing is. I hate mag changes, it hurts my trigger finger and frankly it usually takes me 2-3 tries to insert the mags.
Steel mags are not so bad but Tapco and Pmags are frustrating. Especially Pmags.

I can insert a mag and get a solid click, then pull it out and reinsert it and nothing I have to try 2-3 times to get it in.

What am I doing wrong? And it's not just this AK.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 7:01:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I have found the locking tab on the plastic mags tend to be to thick. The tab where the release locks into....I take a small fine file and file down the top edge until positive engage and release.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 7:16:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have found the locking tab on the plastic mags tend to be to thick. The tab where the release locks into....I take a small fine file and file down the top edge until positive engage and release.
View Quote
Sometimes this happens.

Find Russian bakelites, OP.

They have all the benefits of both polymer and steel mags, plus they're pretty.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 7:27:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Russian Bakelite mags are $35-$40 each?
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 7:50:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you having a hard time getting the front to lock in to rock back or the rear to latch?
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 8:19:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Are you having a hard time getting the front to lock in to rock back or the rear to latch?
View Quote
The rear to latch. Like I said At times I can get them to click in on the first try then try to insert the same mag again and it will take 2-3 tries. I think it's my technique.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 8:31:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The rear to latch. Like I said At times I can get them to click in on the first try then try to insert the same mag again and it will take 2-3 tries. I think it's my technique.
View Quote
Do it real slow and methodical and make sure its lined up right. If you're still having trouble taking a file to the locking tab should fix the problem. Only a pass or two with the file and then try again.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 8:34:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
I haven't bought any in awhile, but that sounds about right.

They're worth it, just buy 2-3 at a time.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 9:15:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
My npap has the same thing. Its due to the magazine feed lips hitting the rear of the reciever rails just above the mag dimples and preventing any further travel. Either shave them down or the mags. My npap also has a stiff locking lever spring. Instead of holding the magazine by the side and gripping it, line it up and smack the floorplate in towards the gun. I did that to my tapco slabsides until it shaved excess material off-works great now. Magpuls I have no issues with.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 9:16:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, short of buying circle ten polymer waffle mags, bakelites are the next best thing.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 9:56:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Try rocking them from side to side when you insert them.

It helps them get past the mag well rails.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 10:40:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Try rocking them from side to side when you insert them.

It helps them get past the mag well rails.
View Quote
This works. I think I will try the file like suggested.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Currently I have a Serbian M92 PAP, I have owned AKs on and off for years I always end up selling them.
I traded into the MPAP and thought I would keep it thing is. I hate mag changes, it hurts my trigger finger and frankly it usually takes me 2-3 tries to insert the mags.
Steel mags are not so bad but Tapco and Pmags are frustrating. Especially Pmags.

I can insert a mag and get a solid click, then pull it out and reinsert it and nothing I have to try 2-3 times to get it in.

What am I doing wrong? And it's not just this AK.
View Quote
Sounds like you don't know how to do an AK mag change. Why would your trigger finger hurt ? You don't use your trigger finger to do a mag change on an AK. If you're right handed, grasp the mag with your left hand and use your left thumb to actuate the mag catch/release lever. Go watch some videos on how to do it and then practice it over and over until it becomes second nature.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:00:52 PM EDT
[#13]
This is one of the reasons I stick with com bloc steel or bakelite mags. Manufactures are always trying to "improve" their offerings to work with what may be available on the market, not always a bad thing, but some of the "tweaks" can cause issues.

You might have to mod the mags on an individual basis to work in your particular rifle. Or you could go with proven combloc steel mags the rifle was designed to function with instead of troublesome mags where some manufacturers are trying to reinvent the wheel by changing long established dimensions.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 12:35:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This is one of the reasons I stick with com bloc steel or bakelite mags. Manufactures are always trying to "improve" their offerings to work with what may be available on the market, not always a bad thing, but some of the "tweaks" can cause issues.

You might have to mod the mags on an individual basis to work in your particular rifle. Or you could go with proven combloc steel mags the rifle was designed to function with instead of troublesome mags where some manufacturers are trying to reinvent the wheel by changing long established dimensions.
View Quote
BINGO!
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 1:35:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Sounds like you don't know how to do an AK mag change. Why would your trigger finger hurt ? You don't use your trigger finger to do a mag change on an AK. If you're right handed, grasp the mag with your left hand and use your left thumb to actuate the mag catch/release lever. Go watch some videos on how to do it and then practice it over and over until it becomes second nature.
View Quote
Practice is the key. The plastic mags just don't insert as easily as the steel but I'm getting the hang of it.
Long before I owned ARs I owned MAK90s they were cheap and mags were steel. It been over 10 years since I've owned an AK and with the plastic mags I have it's like learning all over again.
I got it down now.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 6:24:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Do it real slow and methodical and make sure its lined up right. If you're still having trouble taking a file to the locking tab should fix the problem. Only a pass or two with the file and then try again.
View Quote
Is there a proper technique to sticking the mag in so that you can quickly lock it in, do you go in at a certain angle or only go in a certain amount before you twist in in. I used to have an ak and when doing slow changes there was no issues but when I would speed up I would either get it in toof ar or at the wrong angle and the metal tab on the mag would catch on something that it wasn't supposed to making it unable to click in, not sure if this makes sense
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top